EL D Europa League

Manchester United 1:1 FC Twente

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2024

Maybe Conference league is more our level in Europe.

Just dumbfounding how a club can be so big and spend so much and still be so average , we are a mid table premier league team and at best a Europa club mid tier team in Europe.

It is going to be a slog on all fronts this season again.

ETH masterpiece! The substitutes and keeping Bruno on is criminal. He doesn’t give a sh*t anymore and should be sacked asap. I really hope it won’t be southgate everything else is fine and I mean everything will be better.

Just the Dutch moyes, he hasn't a clue what to do with the team to get us scoring. No point wasting time on him.

Bruno super dreadful today. I’m not sure what he is doing at the moment. Mount picking him up was just the worst thing because it was not the time to lose interest, but a time to get everyone to start pushing more.

Funniest part of the game was prior to Garnacho coming on and Owen Hargreaves telling TNT commentators that he was close enough to hear the conversation between ten Hag and Garnacho.

Apparently, Garnacho told ten Hag that he wanted to attack them, but ten Hag told him, "No, no! Defend, defend, defend!"

Immediately conceded. Classic cowardice.

We're a domestic cup team. Can't even be dominant in this competition. The misery will continue as long as one key change isn't made.

Nobody will ever convince me ETH is a good manager, in fact he's a bang average one! We can limp along to Dec with win-defeat-draw cycle but it's been obvious since last season that we need a change but hey ho it's Utd so you are allowed to fail continuously where most woukd see the writing on the wall a year before!

I just don't have any confidence in beating any team, home or away. The team look completely devoid of confidence.

"Classic" Europa League game. Played in second gear, didn't put the game to bed, then when they got the equaliser, we couldn't raise our game.

I don't have that much of a problem with the formation or whatever, though it was obviously not perfect by any means. But I've more of a problem with the intensity of the approach.

We started in second gear, and when we needed to up the tempo after the draw, we couldn't get up to speed. I don't understand why teams do this. Why not just start fast and let off when the game is won? This laissez-faire attitude is unfathomable. We see it repeatedly, not just at United. It's incredibly hard to suddenly up the tempo after an hour of jogging about.

We paid the price today, and I'm not even sure we'll learn the lesson from it.
Bold of you assume that we have another, higher gear to go to.

Currently on holiday in Tenerife. Made a couple of half hearted suggestions earlier to drag the family out to a bar the watch the game, instead I spent the night sat on the balcony sipping a few glasses of rioja.

Think I made the right choice.

How much longer must we suffer this?

Scraped by Fulham, lost to Brighton and Liverpool, draw with Palace and now draw at home vs Twente.

Results are pathetic and it's not even October yet. Optimistic already sucked out of the season.

Can't remember the last good performance from this team.

A week is a long time in football. Funnily enough the one time Bruno didn’t start. Yeah, it was only Barnsley but Eriksen is a better no10 for 60mins.

The reality is that Twente had two or three 3-on-2's in the last 20 minutes! If they had any composure at all, this game is 2-1 or 3-1 to them before we even get to our late missed chances!

We looked so good on that first half against Palace. So we played deeper and seems to look for that diagonal passes. Why?

Onana was in no man's land for Twente's goal.

Their goal was genuinely hilarious.

From the attempts to stop the run by Rashford, Bruno Maguire, Martine, Ugarte and Eriksen. Onana's attempt to save it was just the shit nugget on top of the diarrhoea cake.

Lets be honest: That was crap.

The approach was clearly to play short as often as possible and play on the deck as often as possible. I don't even know why players insisted on trying to run in behind because we were never going to use that option. I actually cheered a Rashford crossfield ball on the hour mark because it was demonstrated our players were still aware that switches of play are an option.

We did not drop points today solely because Eriksen failed to scan when receiving the ball. We dropped points because we play a boring, pedestrian style of possession football that reminds you of the worst type of tiki-taka from 20 years ago. A sort of early 2000s Villareal-lite but without Riqueleme to make it work. With Bruno playing 'calm' and not resorting to hero ball to switch things up, its difficult to see this gameplan going anywhere this season.

Maybe Conference league is more our level in Europe.

Just dumbfounding how a club can be so big and spend so much and still be so average , we are a mid table premier league team and at best a Europa club mid tier team in Europe.

It is going to be a slog on all fronts this season again.
The answer is Eric ten hag

"In control" just like under LvG, possess the ball to death, often too slow and a lack of any real chances created.

The goal we scored was a result of a block/tackle dropping to Eriksen and the goal we conceded was a cluster feck of mistakes from Martinez, Maguire and Eriksen (especially Eriksen).

Bruno was dire again, either drop him or bring him off when he is like this.

Dreadful second half. No energy. Bruno still wasteful. None of the attackers can score a goal against decent opposition. Story of the season so far, look a tiny bit better going forward but no end product.

This is about our level which is just bang average. Optimist in me still hoping things get better and it clicks.

Whatever the performance level good or bad, two things have been very consistent for going on 2 years now.

We can barely score and we barely ever keep a clean sheet due to clusterfeck defending.

Pile of dogshit tonight.

Yet another frustrating and annoying night of European football. Could and should have been a routine 1-0 win but that brain fart by Eriksen allowed Twente get a draw that they celebrated like they won.

Overall the United performance was mediocre and will be beaten by Porto in the next round with a simliar performance.

This, more than any performance we've had this season, was similar to last season. Ten Hag actually reverted to a 4141 defensive shape. He pushed Eriksen all the way up in that second half.

I will be really annoyed if we've reverted back to last season's pressing shape because Ten Hag believes Ugarte can cover the space. The 442 pressing shape was the only reason for any enthusiasm this season, if he's reverted to type, we may as well sack him before the Spurs game.....my patience is literally at the end. As fans, we can't be expected to accept trials and tear downs from a manager. It's one game, but its a game that may mean a lot moving forward.

Attacking-wise, there was no change. Our attackers are starved by the system. Inverted wing backs who don't overlap, in a system where wide men are expected to take people on.

a. we don't move the ball fast enough in the build up to create 1v1 opportunities.
b. Our full backs do not support our wingers due to inverting, leaving them isolated.

Our system doesn't offer penetration. It's not the players, our tactics just suck

They stayed compact and as usual we couldn't break them down.
Trying to play Rashford into form is careless but I suppose you'd like to think he could do something against an average dutch side.

I think the players are much better than they are delivering on the pitch. If we had better coaching or confidence this squad would be good.
Some are better or more talented than they are delivering. But I can point at many average players in our squad:

- Eriksen
- Zirkzee
- Mount
- Maguire
- Antony
- Casemiro
- Evans
- And maybe Højlund, I have not made my mind up about him yet. Sometimes he is fantastic, but at other times he is average.

If Twente were braver they would have scored a second, but they decided to settle for a draw

Nobody will ever convince me ETH is a good manager, in fact he's a bang average one! We can limp along to Dec with win-defeat-draw cycle but it's been obvious since last season that we need a change but hey ho it's Utd so you are allowed to fail continuously where most woukd see the writing on the wall a year before!
Remember the most important thing is us being able to say we stick by our manager! Winning is not important anymore.

We need a goal scorer and most of our squad is still utter shite. Cut the fat and give youth a chance please.

No goalscorer will fix that. We don't create enough good chances. Even this season. Most of our chances are coming from set pieces and counter attacks. We don't really have a route to goal

Horrific performance in the second half particularly. Needed to build momentum after Southampton and Barnsley with two more wins this week. Hard to see how we win any of the next 3 and we’re sucked back into total disaster. Twente are dreadful. Embarrassing to struggle against a team at that level.

Too many average players in our squad. We will not finish among the 6 best in the PL, and we will have to struggle to finish among the 8 best in group stage in Europa League
We seem to have had average players for the last 10 years after spending nearly a billion pounds. There is something drastically wrong at this club. We look so predictable and less fit and slower than our opponents.

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Twente win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 FC Twente