New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
We just have to hope that they don't strip OT of its cultural identity and tradition by removing all of the red brick or installing a watertight roof.

I would think that would take as long and cost as much as a new stadium. Given the current layout I don't think we'd be expanding stands, we'd be more or less rebuilding them but on top of the current mishmash of foundations and services that's evolved over the last 50 years.

And we'd definitely be homeless throughout the build.
Cheers.

For me it doesn't matter if we're homeless throughout the build. I'd much rather keep the cultural heritage that is Old Trafford. Should be UNESCO really. But over the railways is probably the preferred solution anyways, if we go in the direction of renovating.

Cheers.

For me it doesn't matter if we're homeless throughout the build. I'd much rather keep the cultural heritage that is Old Trafford. Should be UNESCO really. But over the railways is probably the preferred solution anyways, if we go in the direction of renovating.

Bit much, no? The stadium was completely wrapped in cladding and that monstrosity of a roof was added in the 90’s.

The biggest thing to look at as well imo is that other clubs are starting to creep over 60000+ attendance and if you filter in the fact these grounds are picked for other events football or non football, then we no longer have the finances to compete and beat them financially easy. A 80/85k OT makeover if possible, cannot compete with a new build 100k stadium with all the bells and whistles, financially, which obviously is the game changer with FFP.
Stadium revenue isn't that much these days compared to TV-deals and all other stuff is it? I mean, yes it would change a bit, but the difference in FFP-spending from 85k to 100k from matchday revenue, would it really move more than 1% of our ability to spend? Hopefully a decent blogger like swissramble or so, could outlay what it really means in terms of spending.

Stadium revenue isn't that much these days compared to TV-deals and all other stuff is it? I mean, yes it would change a bit, but the difference in FFP-spending from 85k to 100k from matchday revenue, would it really move more than 1% of our ability to spend? Hopefully a decent blogger like swissramble or so, could outlay what it really means in terms of spending.
Putting on, say half a dozen concerts in the summer, would probably raise enough to buy a player or pay his wages for his contract

Hope that's just a placeholder design as it looks a lot like the dipping roofline of every identikit stadium out there.

Perhaps. Although Gary Neville (who obviously has some insight here) cast doubt on the economic viability of maintaining a downsized Old Trafford for the women's/youth teams on the TOTD podcast last week. He also talked up refurbishment, saying it was just as good as a new build.

I still think that a furbishment of some kind (probably with an expanded south stand) is the most likely outcome here, largely because of economic factors.

Yeah he's not wrong for once either. Downsizing OT and modernising it to some extent wouldn't be an inexpensive process on it's own.

I saw a recent video on TikTok about some fan zone bar in (I think) LA where fans could watch the game and it looked almost like they were in the stadium. Would be pretty awesome to convert Old Trafford into that for 40k+ fans to watch for cheaper next-door to the new stadium

COSM only holds about 1500-2000 people. It's more akin to a giant cinema.

Reasonable summary here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wkpqegd89o

Burnham is chasing money to upgrade the western freight route, so not as much freight gets routed through the congested train routes through the city centre. That needs government infrastructure backing. United in the process get the old freight depot and build the stadium.

Just a massing render/model. An idea of how the place will look.

I can't believe anyone thinks this is how a new stadium design would be unveiled. It's literally just being used for a model. Actual architectural designs are likely 12 months away. We know the review is feeding back in December and while it seems like a decision has been made for a new stadium it would take ages to properly unveil a design. We might get an artists rendering or whatever in December as part of an annoucement.

New gaff next to the old one same site as I can see.
As long as its still called OT this looks like the plan has legs we wait and see

That model looks absolutely horrid. Moving the club to a stadium completely devoid of heart, soul or character would be a rotten decision.

Here's another Emirates, Allianz, Etihad, Tottenham Stadium, AMEX, London Stadium, Allianz (Juventus), Wanda Metropolitano, Red Bull Arena or any of the ones they built for Qatar. No thanks.

That model looks absolutely horrid. Moving the club to a stadium completely devoid of heart, soul or character would be a rotten decision.

Here's another Emirates, Allianz, Etihad, Tottenham Stadium, AMEX, London Stadium, Allianz (Juventus), Wanda Metropolitano, Red Bull Arena or any of the ones they built for Qatar. No thanks.

:lol:

I think you're taking the model a bit too literally. We're still trying to get land and we've only just given any kind of design brief to a firm of architects to start sketching ideas. It's just a generic stadium size blob to give people who don't know the area an idea of scale when they look at the overall scheme.

Dont worry, it’s just a marker stuck down on the map. It’s not the actual design. Though that would be hilarious

Reasonable summary here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wkpqegd89o

Burnham is chasing money to upgrade the western freight route, so not as much freight gets routed through the congested train routes through the city centre. That needs government infrastructure backing. United in the process get the old freight depot and build the stadium.
If that's what we're waiting for then we're going to be waiting a long time, there is zero chance we could build on the freight terminal until it's replaced somewhere else

If you revamp old Trafford you don’t get one of the best stadiums in the world.. which is what they are aiming for here. It would be much much much more limited in what they could do. They are going all out on this, it will be state of the art and cost double what Tottenham’s stadium has cost. I really love old Trafford but it’s time to get competitive