New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
They should design it as a massive locomotive, or terraced house, or mill. They should have let me redesign the Reichstag.

New stadium and only the best. Looks a bit like a Teletubbies vacuum robot but maybe it will look much better built.

Design wise, I hope it's more like a throwback but I fear it's going to be like a fancier and larger Wembley/Emirates. Here is the new(ish) Colts NFL stadium that has a throwback feel:
https://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/lucas_oil_stadium/lucas_oil_stadium23.jpg

Inside: https://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/lucas_oil_stadium/lucas_oil_stadium18.jpg
Colts stadium is epic. There's a lot of stadiums in the NFL I like, they really push the boat out over there, in terms of design.
But that Colts stadium looks like a place you really wouldn't want to go to, if you were an opposition team, looks like it would crush you.
If they built Old Trafford like that I would love it.

Reactions: 711

Looks like a giant cheesecake

Looks like the steak from Tom & Jerry

main-qimg-96fd6ba61893bdbb1fa51454fbede829-lq

UNESCO is not a design-award, it's about preserving cultural heritage.

Which bit are we preserving?

The 1960's bits? the 1993 Stretford End? the 1995/6 North Stand? the 2006 quadrants? The glass facade on the east stand that's been there since the second tier extensions made in 99/2000?

The 1960's bits? the 1993 Stretford End? the 1995/6 North Stand? the 2006 quadrants? The glass facade on the east stand that's been there since the second tier extensions made in 99/2000?
Building a soulless bowl would be depressing though. I want us to build something unique if we get a new ground.

As I've maintained throughout this thread, we should be aiming to build a ground that contains the best bits of OT but throws in some more modern elements.

Design wise, I hope it's more like a throwback but I fear it's going to be like a fancier and larger Wembley/Emirates. Here is the new(ish) Colts NFL stadium that has a throwback feel:
https://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/lucas_oil_stadium/lucas_oil_stadium23.jpg

Inside: https://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/lucas_oil_stadium/lucas_oil_stadium18.jpg
That looks absolutely amazing. Like the antithetic response to all those modern stadiums without character popping up all around these days. Would love it if they went in that direction with a new stadium!

Would be great for the surrounding area to be upgraded. Honestly hate having to wait in the area for a game to start. Nothing to do there at all. Saw some saying it can't be a 100k stadium because the rules say no PL stadium can have more than Wembley's 90k seats. If the £7.3b per year influx into UK economy is accurate, you can be certain any regulations will be changed to make that possible.

Perhaps. Although Gary Neville (who obviously has some insight here) cast doubt on the economic viability of maintaining a downsized Old Trafford for the women's/youth teams on the TOTD podcast last week. He also talked up refurbishment, saying it was just as good as a new build.

I still think that a furbishment of some kind (probably with an expanded south stand) is the most likely outcome here, largely because of economic factors.

Isn’t the issue, based on what we read, that refurbishment is likely to be just as expensive as building something new?

Building a soulless bowl would be depressing though. I want us to build something unique if we get a new ground.

As I've maintained throughout this thread, we should be aiming to build a ground that contains the best bits of OT but throws in some more modern elements.
I think they’ve already said they would keep the bits of OT that are old like the clock and put in a new stadium. It’s more about the design for me, as long as they don’t make it soulless I think it’ll be fine. If you look at someone like Arun and their projects, Birds Nest, Bernabeu, LA Raiders they’re all unique in their own way. I’d like to think we’d have a good amount of red brick and they could mimic the roof to make it less of a bland dome.

As I don’t live in the UK and am far from a regular visitor of the stadium, I guess my opinion doesn’t really count, but I am still surprised by what I read here from many posters.

I totally agree that a stadium needs to be comfortable and needs to have proper facilities. Ultimately, the one main thing it needs to do is to give supporters a great football experience (and in this way generate revenues).

But isn’t OT one of the most iconic stadiums in the world?? Every football fan in the world knows about world famous stadiums. Camp Nou, Bernabeu, San Siro, Old Trafford..
Iconic stadiums make a football club more iconic. It adds to the image of the club. People from all over world know such stadiums, and hope to visit those one day.
You can build a new stadium, but then a club loses that part of the pull

Here in the Netherlands the same happened with Ajax. I recall their current stadium the arena getting built about 30 years ago. Their stadium is comfortable, and has great facilities. It probably generates much more money than the current Feyenoord stadium.
Feyenoord stadium De Kuip was built 1937. It’s old. Need to wait for ages to buy a beer or take a leak. But man I love the stadium. It oozes atmosphere. It’s intimidating for opponents. When the crowd goes nuts and youre below the seats section you can feel the whole stadium vibrating, it’s nuts.
It may be a shit stadium and it would be great to upgrade it to improve the facilities, but I am super proud of it, and it is widely acknowledged that Feyenoord stadium is way more awesome than the Ajax stadium.

If OT will be gone, you may have an even nicer stadium but you will never get that sentiment back. You’ll get an identity-less stadium which can just be replaced with that of any other team.
I hope OT will be kept and revamped.

With all due respect, it would be interesting to know how many of the people who voted for a new stadium have been to Old Trafford.

I know it’s easy to be sentimental about these things, but I’d much rather we redeveloped Old Trafford, even if we did it in stages over the next 10-15 years.

Sadly, money talks. There’s more money to be made in the long run with a new stadium. If the Glazer’s hadn’t neglected Old Trafford for so long then we wouldn’t be in such a crap situation.

All or most of it? :confused:

At least the South stand and the lower tiers. Unesco World Heritage sites don't necessarily have to be old buildings.

But sadly I reckon OT will be getting bulldozed.

Hope these images aren’t an indication of the direction of travel. Would be gutted to lose OT for a replica of the Allianz Arena, no matter how impressive that place is.

Nope, they're just for massing. An indication where the stadium could fit in. But we'll probably build nearer the freight dep.

Anyway...

Last edited:
If that's what we're waiting for then we're going to be waiting a long time, there is zero chance we could build on the freight terminal until it's replaced somewhere else
Starmer loves freebies though so offer him a wheelie bin filled with Haribo and we're sorted.

As I don’t live in the UK and am far from a regular visitor of the stadium, I guess my opinion doesn’t really count, but I am still surprised by what I read here from many posters.

I totally agree that a stadium needs to be comfortable and needs to have proper facilities. Ultimately, the one main thing it needs to do is to give supporters a great football experience (and in this way generate revenues).

But isn’t OT one of the most iconic stadiums in the world?? Every football fan in the world knows about world famous stadiums. Camp Nou, Bernabeu, San Siro, Old Trafford..
Iconic stadiums make a football club more iconic. It adds to the image of the club. People from all over world know such stadiums, and hope to visit those one day.
You can build a new stadium, but then a club loses that part of the pull

Here in the Netherlands the same happened with Ajax. I recall their current stadium the arena getting built about 30 years ago. Their stadium is comfortable, and has great facilities. It probably generates much more money than the current Feyenoord stadium.
Feyenoord stadium De Kuip was built 1937. It’s old. Need to wait for ages to buy a beer or take a leak. But man I love the stadium. It oozes atmosphere. It’s intimidating for opponents. When the crowd goes nuts and youre below the seats section you can feel the whole stadium vibrating, it’s nuts.
It may be a shit stadium and it would be great to upgrade it to improve the facilities, but I am super proud of it, and it is widely acknowledged that Feyenoord stadium is way more awesome than the Ajax stadium.

If OT will be gone, you may have an even nicer stadium but you will never get that sentiment back. You’ll get an identity-less stadium which can just be replaced with that of any other team.
I hope OT will be kept and revamped.

Exactly mate. People kidding themselves it won't be a soulless bowl with increased hospitality and ticket price hikes are living in a fantasy land.

Starmer loves freebies though so offer him a wheelie bin filled with Haribo and we're sorted.
What's wrong with British sweets, I thought the UK was out of the EU so we don't need the German stuff!?

Even if the it is approved by the Government it'll still take several years to actually get done

Last edited:
Exactly mate. People kidding themselves it won't be a soulless bowl with increased hospitality and ticket price hikes are living in a fantasy land.

Exactly. A soulless bowl that the Glazers will still be leeching from and laughing on their way to the bank.

Once we knock Old Trafford down, there’s no going back.

Changing the stadium doesn't mean all the memories suddenly disappear. If it's no longer practical to keep the old stadium, it makes sense to change to a new stadium which is more financially viable. We were dangerously close to violating PSR this season, so the extra revenue could be very useful moving forward. Ultimately anything that brings us closer to being title contenders again should be a priority. INEOS is a very successful business. They're not going to build a new stadium if there isn't significant benefit involved.

OT was a soulless bowl when it was constructed, Heaps. I hope it's not generic, I suspect it'll be great. We'll, I hope so. I love OT, I loved the way it looked in the 80s pre new Stretford End but we can't stay in the past.

Yeah god forbid we ever make Old Trafford into a soulless bowl...
36C8405700000578-3720412-image-a-52_1470167298499.jpg

FmnQaPwXEBkpdv9

AL18g_R_LksO8A8bd_hOwmalA0VW5EUdxNXZnYu2IatoOFMxwMo1DtBO8k-hT5rWKzYlierHx63Njg

Changing the stadium doesn't mean all the memories suddenly disappear.

This is true, but the problem is that a lot of the more modern stadiums generate a poor atmosphere compared to older stadiums and the seats tend to be further away from the pitch.

Have you been to the Emirates or the new Wembley for example? They’re shite compared to Highbury and the old Wembley for the atmosphere.

This is true, but the problem is that a lot of the more modern stadiums generate a poor atmosphere compared to older stadiums and the seats tend to be further away from the pitch.

Have you been to the Emirates or the new Wembley for example? They’re shite compared to Highbury and the old Wembley for the atmosphere.
Never been to Emirates or Highbury. Been to Wembley. I enjoyed the experience tbh but the seats being far away from the pitch is a fair point

Would love one of those stands that Spurs have, one massive stand with no tiers

New stadium is the way to go, it’s on the original OT site and I’m sure they’ll be a design in place that resembles a modern OT

Exciting times

The old Wembley was shite by the time it was knocked down, half the time you were stood in a river of piss running down the terraces, and if you were really unlucky your view included a big fecking post blocking half your view, the reality is that most of the old grounds were pretty crap, the atmospheres were great, OT included, but everything else was pretty crap

Never been to Emirates or Highbury. Been to Wembley. I enjoyed the experience tbh but the seats being far away from the pitch is a fair point

It doesn’t help that around 19% of the seats at Wembley are corporate seats.

I just hope that if we do build a new stadium, they take into account some of the criticisms of the newer stadiums. Surely it can’t be that hard to design one where the seats are nearer to the pitch? It makes it more intimidating for visiting teams too.

What do you want it to look like?
I think it should fit in with the area, not look wildly out of place and I think it should have an aesthetic similar to OT (like when a car model is facelifted etc) so it is instantly recognisable.
For me the look is all important because at this point I feel like the capacity and WC facilities etc are a given.

I think it should fit in with the area, not look wildly out of place and I think it should have an aesthetic similar to OT (like when a car model is facelifted etc) so it is instantly recognisable.
For me the look is all important because at this point I feel like the capacity and WC facilities etc are a given.

Hope not. The whole area is being regenerated and will fit in with the Quays and Media City, a new stadium will reflect this. Hopefully. Let's see if Lord Foster can pull it off, although I'm not sure that he's a great stadium architect.

All part of the charm :lol:
Yeah when you're 20 ish, not so much when you get to double that, I ruined a pair of trainers at the '85 cup final because of that river, was worth it though when Nutty Norm' bent that shot round Big Fat Nev Southall - incidentally I met the latter a few times in a Llandudno pub in the late '90's, he was a top bloke, having a pint and chatting to anyone who recognized and approached him