New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 951 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 753 44.2%

• Total voters
If they have no money for the Casement rebuild I doubt they'll be releasing any for Old Trafford.

Northern Ireland is a disaster politically to get anything like this done.
Also the site for Casement is very awkward and tight which added to the cost.

I think we'll get government money for regeneration of the area around the stadium but not the stadium itself which is fair enough.

No harm in asking anyway.

Common sense would definitely lead to this conclusion. Let's see what plays out with the shareholding. I do not think Sir Jim will fund the stadium completely, but he could easily contribute 200-300M towards it, which is a healthy chunk and would allow him to obtain the rest in debt financing. I'm also not including the potential proceeds from naming rights, which would offset a portion of the debt service costs.

The stadium CAPEX structure could look something like:
300M from Sir Jim
Additional equity investment from INEOS - 100M/200M
500M from naming rights
1B+ in infrastructure debt

Interesting times!!

I think the majority of funding will be from financial institutions in various forms. We can pay this off over 50 years.

We might get government money for the area around the stadium and for transport infrastructure but not the stadium itself.

Sir Jim's "Wembley of the north" is a nice idea but it won't fly unfortunately.

Very different situation. Casement was given the go ahead many times over the past decade but faced stupid fecking obstacles from local residents, then the costs soared after covid.

Different yes but also both stadium redevelopments. I don't see them funding any stadium projects right now never mind one that would benefit the most hated club in the country and one of the richest clubs in the world. It just wouldn't look after taking away the heating allowance form elderly people.

I was genuinely amazed they were willing to put money into a GAA stadium at all

Why?

Northern Ireland is a disaster politically to get anything like this done.
Also the site for Casement is very awkward and tight which added to the cost.

We couldn't agree on the colour of grass.

I think we'll get government money for regeneration of the area around the stadium but not the stadium itself which is fair enough.

Well that's more plausible but you know any money going towards United will be spun by sections of the media as the Government funding Old Trafford.

No harm in asking anyway.

I suppose.

We border a sell out in every game, including against bottom 6.

The season ticket waiting list no longer is taking names. There are 120,000 people on that list.

If we extended the ground we could offer 30000 more Season tickets and they'll get nabbed up immediately. Still leaves plenty tickets for tourists, one offs and cheeky away fans. Would be no surprise to me if we average 98K
If we increase the capacity to 100k and offer 30k more season tickets there will actually be less tickets for "tourists".

When did this narrative start? One of the stands is miles behind for well documented reasons. The rest of the stadium is brilliant and it remains the biggest stadium in the league. When did leather seats and the ability to host light shows, concerts of NFL games become the benchmark for a great football stadium? You can feel the history when inside OT. I’m all for a new stadium by the way but the narrative it’s some shit outdated stadium is being pushed too hard because we’ve fallen behind in everything else.

Honestly you need to go and visit some other stadiums.

You don’t know what you’re missing.

Honestly you need to go and visit some other stadiums.

You don’t know what you’re missing.
I’ve been to Spurs, Arsenal, all over America and none of them compare to OT. If you want to sit in a soulless bowl and eat nachos then go to the US. Apparently light shows and padded seats is what I’m missing. Oh but you read an article 6 months ago about a roof leak.

I’ve been to Spurs, Arsenal, all over America and none of them compare to OT. If you want to sit in a soulless bowl and eat nachos then go to the US. Apparently light shows and padded seats is what I’m missing. Oh but you read an article 6 months ago about a roof leak.
But that's your emotional attachment and your attachment is to the team. You'd still have that in a stadium 200m down the road. Maybe not the  exact same but you'd still feel it greater than Spurs or Arsenal or whomever.

But that's your emotional attachment and your attachment is to the team. You'd still have that in a stadium 200m down the road. Maybe not the  exact same but you'd still feel it greater than Spurs or Arsenal or whomever.
I agree, as long as the stadium is right. The Spurs stadium is actually good. It’s just my original point that the “state” of OT is massively overplayed that I stand by. For me it’s just a symbol of us standing still, it’s still the biggest stadium in the league.

I agree, as long as the stadium is right. The Spurs stadium is actually good. It’s just my original point that the “state” of OT is massively overplayed that I stand by. For me it’s just a symbol of us standing still, it’s still the biggest stadium in the league.
Fair enough. I think whatever happens is going to divide people and one side is going to have to be ready to compromise. Not a message to you per se.

I can’t even fit in the seats leg roon wide. I had to swap seats last time in was in the North Stand. It’s not much better around the ground either. Modern stadium means modern seat depth.

There's no reason why we can't have something more unique than a generic bowl with dipping corners.
It's about picking an architect with a unique vision.

I noted the concerns on the pricing of tickets if we intend to fill a capacity of more than 100k. Pricing is mainly due to supply and demand. If the supply can increase beyond 100k capacity, I am sure the price of ticket can also be more affordable.

The largest stadium in the world is in North Korea with 150k. I don't think we want to be at that capacity but I would really love us to be the largest professional football stadium in the world. We are Manchester United