New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 945 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
Fosters and Populous designed the Lusail Stadium. Foster did the exterior and Populous the interior. Suppose it's what the Qataris wanted in terms of aesthetics but I thought it was a tad bland despite beautiful exterior.

I've not been inside but from the outside, the Lusail stadium is beautiful, and the surrounding Lusail area is incredible.

It would be next level if we ended with something like that.

That'll be a popular decision.

I don't think we have the land to build a new 100k seater stadium and keep the current OT even downscaled. So I suspect OT will probably be bulldozed.
Where would we play in the meantime? Surely not the Emptihad?

It looks like it'll be flattened

I said this from the get go and I was told by numerous posters it wouldn’t happen. Operating costs to keep a smaller OT would still be huge and would zero sense financially . But still doesn’t feel right to be getting rid of OT completely mind

100k capacity isn't enough. We will still have sell out crowd every game. We need a bigger stadium. Probably the biggest in the world.

100k capacity isn't enough. We will still have sell out crowd every game. We need a bigger stadium. Probably the biggest in the world.
How big can we go though? a 150k seater stadium would be insanely huge - and those up in the nosebleeds would probably need oxygen tanks to breathe, and binoculars to view the game - so hardly an optimal experience.

I think 100k would be the biggest football stadium in the UK and second biggest in Europe? If that's not big enough, you're trying too hard to overcompensate for something.

Especially as (with football stadiums at least) size isn't everything.

I said this from the get go and I was told by numerous posters it wouldn’t happen. Operating costs to keep a smaller OT would still be huge and would zero sense financially . But still doesn’t feel right to be getting rid of OT completely mind

Turn it into a carpark. But maybe put a plaque or something where the centre circle was to show people where old trafford once stood. Also maybe a car park with a cool design with an outline of where the pitch was.

What? Are you trolling? A 31K seater stadium?

That's bigger than some of the other options mentioned, like Bolton's Stadium.

If we temporarily play somewhere else it's either play in a much smaller stadium, pay a lot of money to play at the Etihad or play in a different city entirely. You can't magic a stadium out of thin air.

I think 100k would be the biggest football stadium in the UK and second biggest in Europe? If that's not big enough, you're trying too hard to overcompensate for something.

Especially as (with football stadiums at least) size isn't everything.
Not impossible to have both capacity plus the right experience. But I am not the architect. That's their job to meet the users' needs. World architecture is advancing all the time. We don't need to look at what others have done and follow suit. We should create something totally unique. Our dream stadium.

Rebuild OT into something other than the Identikit Modern Stadia of Bigscreen Banality.

We'll wind up playing in Westhoughton or feck knows where if this carries on.

Room out the back, so use it, phase the stadium rebuild (80k is enough) and ensure it is a football only venue.

As for the Women's Team: build a suitable stadia in the training facility. OT has never been their home, really, so build them something impressive which evokes their history.

Rebuild OT into something other than the Identikit Modern Stadia of Bigscreen Banality.

Room out the back, so use it, phase the stadium rebuild (80k is enough) and ensure it is a football only venue.

As for the Women's Team: build a suitable stadia in the training facility. OT has never been their home, really, so build them something impressive which evokes their history.

Why would you go to all that trouble to increase the capacity by less than 10K when the waiting list for season tickets is already over ten times that much?

It looks like it'll be flattened

Chris Wheeler is a fecking hack and knows feck all. That entire "article" is clickbait shite, and comes from a Gary Neville interview with Andy Mitten, where Neville says that knocking OT down to a 15k stadium might be financially daft, but that United would probably review it either way.

If we're re-doing OT as it is, then just mirroring the South stand to look like the North stand would add over 15,000 seats.

If we're re-doing OT as it is, then just mirroring the South stand to look like the North stand would add over 15,000 seats.
Yep. This would be my preference with a new ground. Maybe a little more leg room in certain sections.

Could comfortably have an 85,000 capacity stadium that takes the best parts of the current ground whilst modernising

We wouldn't sell out 100k every week unless there was a significant reduction in ticket prices.

We'd struggle to sell 40,000 individual tickets for matches outside the top 6/7.

Are there any examples of stadiums built over canals?

I can't think of one.

We need to build a new stadium at some point anyway, there's only a number of times we can renovate OT. The question is, whether this the right time to do so or renovate now and rebuild another 3-4 years later.

We wouldn't sell out 100k every week unless there was a significant reduction in ticket prices.

We'd struggle to sell 40,000 individual tickets for matches outside the top 6/7.
Our season ticket waiting list says otherwise. We sold 72,000 tickets to play league 2 barnsley (yes i get the prices are lower but they're a league 2 side, we wouldn't have to reduce much for a premier league opponent) most top 6 teams aren't selling that many seats playing a mid table prem side.

We need to build a new stadium at some point anyway, there's only a number of times we can renovate OT. The question is, whether this the right time to do so or renovate now and rebuild another 3-4 years later.

If the club spent the reported £1b needed to renovate OT. Then I imagine a new stadium wouldn't be in the radar for another 15-20 years.

I don't see them spending a billion to upgrade the stadium for 4 years.

Are there any examples of stadiums built over canals?

I can't think of one.
No but surely it’s only as complicated as building over a road and probably less than over a train/tramline, just leave a tunnel and fortify around it?

Our season ticket waiting list says otherwise. We sold 72,000 tickets to play league 2 barnsley (yes i get the prices are lower but they're a league 2 side, we wouldn't have to reduce much for a premier league opponent) most top 6 teams aren't selling that many seats playing a mid table prem side.
Perhaps there are logistical reasons why nobody goes much beyond 100k at the moment (too far away from the pitch, need for increased legroom and facilities etc) but if it’s any less than that I’ll be disappointed .
Would absolutely love something like 120k it would be great to have a full house for a big game at those levels.
If we can sort transport links and everything else I think we should aim high!

No but surely it’s only as complicated as building over a road and probably less than over a train/tramline, just leave a tunnel and fortify around it?

Sure, but we've still got to build over the railway line and all. I'd love for us to knock each stand down and rebuild...however I can't imagine Ratcliffe being happy with a 10 year masterplan. He wants the extra revenue and legacy as soon as possible. But yeah building over the canal and railway would be the perfect scenario it'd also allow a newer OT to have a 100k capacity with proper leg room and bigger seats due to the extra footprint.

Perhaps there are logistical reasons why nobody goes much beyond 100k at the moment (too far away from the pitch, need for increased legroom and facilities etc) but if it’s any less than that I’ll be disappointed .
Would absolutely love something like 120k it would be great to have a full house for a big game at those levels.

Imagine the cost, plus a 120K with a modern footprint would lead to awful views in some parts of the ground. Maybe in future with VR and all that jazz. Personally enjoying and taking part in the atmosphere is more important or...fun than watching the game. So even with shite views it'd be an amazing place to try and watch a match.

Imagine the cost, plus a 120K with a modern footprint would lead to awful views in some parts of the ground. Maybe in future with VR and all that jazz. Personally enjoying and taking part in the atmosphere is more important or...fun than watching the game. So even with shite views it'd be an amazing place to try and watch a match.
Would 120k cost that much more than 100k? Honest question I don't know, maybe assume another 10% or so? Reason being that some percentage of the cost would be to do things not directly connected to the actual stadium itself

Sure, but we've still got to build over the railway line and all. I'd love for us to knock each stand down and rebuild...however I can't imagine Ratcliffe being happy with a 10 year masterplan. He wants the extra revenue and legacy as soon as possible. But yeah building over the canal and railway would be the perfect scenario it'd also allow a newer OT to have a 100k capacity with proper leg room and bigger seats due to the extra footprint.

There’s no chance we’re building over the railway line.

We’ll be moving north east away from it.

The railway line is the reason the south stand has never been expanded and the exact reason why we’d be rebuilding. Makes zero sense to rebuild in the same spot because of that constraint.

Yeah and for the 90% of games that aren't big games there would be 20-30k empty seats. Sounds great.

Also with the laws of supply and demand, keeping the number of seats somewhat constrained means you can manipulate pricing

I will stand on the land where Beckham and Ronaldo once stood. Pretend I am about to smash in one of their legendary free kicks exactly where they would have done it. And then accidentally kick a rock through Gary Neville's hotel window and run away.