Mo Salah

He’s a bit underrated here which is absolutely understandable, but it surprises me that many people that don’t hate Liverpool don’t rate him as high as he deserves. Him and KdB are the best players in the league since Hazard, and Salah is better than Hazard

Last edited:
He’s a bit underrated here which is absolutely understandable, but it surprises me that many people that don’t have Liverpool don’t rate him as high as he deserves. Him and KdB are the best players in the league since Hazard, and Salah is better than Hazard
Agreed, a good way to put it would be that if he'd played for United our last PL winning manager wouldn't have been SAF

Come on now, bias aside, Salah also has 1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 European Supercup, 1 Fifa Club World Cup. 3 PL golden boots, and many other good individual awards.
Completely agree, I was just being sarcastic, against using titles as a yardstick. I think Salah and Shearer easily make top 5 PL of all time.

Not sure Rooney was ever the offensive threat Salah was, but he certainly was complete.
Stats wise Salah is a bit of a freak in the PL and with Liverpool but I think people forget how monstrous Rooney was in terms of his goal contributions too.

Last edited:
He’s a bit underrated here which is absolutely understandable, but it surprises me that many people that don’t hate Liverpool don’t rate him as high as he deserves. Him and KdB are the best players in the league since Hazard, and Salah is better than Hazard
I still struggle to consider him better than Suarez as their greatest of the Prem era, so I’m probably underrating him too

I still struggle to consider him better than Suarez as their greatest of the Prem era, so I’m probably underrating him too
Think the problem with Salah is that he might not get into a top 10 if you're considering purely the best player/footballer in the PL but his stats can't be ignored and elevate him into that legendary status, especially because of the consistency and longevity.

Think the problem with Salah is that he might not get into a top 10 if you're considering purely the best player/footballer in the PL but his stats can't be ignored and elevate him into that legendary status, especially because of the consistency and longevity.

Maybe currently, but there have been multiple seasons over the past 8 years where he has been easily the best player in the league, like when he scored 32 in 36. Do you watch him when he plays us, I can't think of ten players in the world I would want to see less. Sure, he is on the back half of his career still a wonderful player.

Salah has had a more impressive Liverpool career, but I also feel that Suarez is comfortably their best player of this century.

Maybe currently, but there have been multiple seasons over the past 8 years where he has been easily the best player in the league, like when he scored 32 in 36. Do you watch him when he plays us, I can't think of ten players in the world I would want to see less. Sure, he is on the back half of his career still a wonderful player.

Salah has had a more impressive Liverpool career, but I also feel that Suarez is comfortably their best player of this century.
Scoring lots of goals doesn't mean you're the best player/footballer - see Haaland.

Ahh okay my bad, apologies,

Top 5 of all time in what, goal scorers?
Yep, as attacking players, though it'd be a competitive list....probably Henry, Rooney and either Kane or Ronaldo alongside them. I'd say that they both make top 10 of all players but I guess that's subjective.

Scoring lots of goals doesn't mean you're the best player/footballer - see Haaland.
Come on, you're stretching now. Look at his goals against Man City, Spurs, Watford and Chelsea, as well as countless others, and tell me he's just a goalscorer. I'll admit that I'm bias but his close control and ability to beat a man in tight spaces is fantastic.

Come on, you're stretching now. Look at his goals against Man City, Spurs, Watford and Chelsea, as well as countless others, and tell me he's just a goalscorer. I'll admit that I'm bias but his close control and ability to beat a man in tight spaces is fantastic.
I don't think he's just a goalscorer. I just don't think he's as good a footballer/player as some others who would be in a top 10 of greatest ever players in the PL but his stats elevate him higher than them. Doesn't mean he's not also a great player/footballer, just not as great as some of the others.

Yep, as attacking players, though it'd be a competitive list....probably Henry, Rooney and either Kane or Ronaldo alongside them. I'd say that they both make top 10 of all players but I guess that's subjective.

I don't think Salah or Shearer make top 5 attackers, and I definitely don't think they make top 10 of all players, but that is my opinion and your opinion so fair enough.

It's because his style of play is not enjoyable to watch. I have always been able to enjoy watching players at our rivals when they are good to watch (KDB, Torres, Hazard, Bale etc.) but I have never felt any joy watching Salah. The way he plays is just not very aesthetically pleasing. He is extremely functional, no doubt, but if people don't like watching your game you will always end up underrated.

Yeah I think there's a huge difference between Haaland and Salah. Salah has a lot more to his overall play than Haaland. He's one of the best dribblers in the epl era.

I think I see SilentWitness's point about him nit necessarily being a top 10 player given that there were many all time great players who weren't strikers, and we tend to underrate defensive players in all time lists.

I still think Salah has to be somewhere in there, but there's a gap between Henry and him.

I don't think he's just a goalscorer. I just don't think he's as good a footballer/player as some others who would be in a top 10 of greatest ever players in the PL but his stats elevate him higher than them. Doesn't mean he's not also a great player/footballer, just not as great as some of the others.
Yeah that's how I feel about him. He's ruthlessly efficient, he's obviously a great player, but he's not as aesthetically pleasing to watch as a lot of other players - and objectively isn't as rounded as some of the greats.

Salah's been great so far. At 32 he's still one of the best players in the world. And he really looks fired up for this season.

He's crap, now that he has lost that yard of pace...

You should’ve cashed in when you could. Hindsight 20/20 and all.

How old is he? We still got some years from our oldies so you might be able to get another season’s worth.

How old is he? We still got some years from our oldies so you might be able to get another season’s worth.
Are you watching the game? He's been excellent

I said this in pre-season - he's 32, obsessively into conditioning and fitness, is never injured and leads a very healthy lifestyle. I see no reason why he can't carry on for another 4 years at the top level, at least. I'm happy to keep him until his mid/late 30s and then let him head off somewhere for free

Are you watching the game? He's been excellent

Half-watching the game. I don’t see that excellence at all. Is slower and seemingly having problems getting past his marker in a 1v1 (iirc this has been an issue for a long time). He does look better than last season but nowhere near what he used to be.

I said this in pre-season - he's 32, obsessively into conditioning and fitness, is never injured and leads a very healthy lifestyle. I see no reason why he can't carry on for another 4 years at the top level, at least. I'm happy to keep him until his mid/late 30s and then let him head off somewhere for free

4? Nah that is way, way too much. Especially given his profile/position. Just not feasible; especially in the PL.

Brilliant player. Not sure I've seen a player in the league constantly destroy us as much as this lad. Sooner he leaves the better.

Half-watching the game. I don’t see that excellence at all. Is slower and seemingly having problems getting past his marker in a 1v1 (iirc this has been an issue for a long time). He does look better than last season but nowhere near what he used to be.

4? Nah that is way, way too much. Especially given his profile/position. Just not feasible; especially in the PL.
Eh? He's been great and is an absolute game changer still. Always an out ball and he links up with teammates so well. Keeps defenders on the back foot and never gives them a moment's rest.

His decision making, final ball, weight of pass etc will see him play to a high standard well into his thirties despite losing the blistering pace.

I didn't think his overall game was that good tbh.

He’s such a streamlined and efficient player. Nearly everything he does in the final third is to score or create a chance.

He’s such a streamlined and efficient player. Nearly everything he does in the final third is to score or create a chance.
Sign of a top quality player with great footballing nous, very few wingers understand how to adapt to the game in their 30s especially if they started out as a pace merchant like Salah

Is it common knowledge he’s leaving at the end of the season?

You would have assumed he was going to anyway but he pretty much just confirmed it.

But can he spin?

antony-antony-manunited.gif

He has said, he was surprised how easy it was today against us :lol:

Is it common knowledge he’s leaving at the end of the season?

You would have assumed he was going to anyway but he pretty much just confirmed it.
That struck me as odd. I wonder if he misspoke and meant it was the last year of his contract, with his future still uncertain?