Mo Salah

There is a case to be made for Salah though. He's still climbing our all time greats list and the top is not out of sight.
He is by far the best ever Liverpool player.

Who got the top spot right now in your opinion? A player that barely is in the top 10 midfielders of the PL era? Or a player that is widely unknown outside of Liverpool and would never be mentioned in a best 100 all time list?

Who got the top spot right now in your opinion? A player that barely is in the top 10 midfielders of the PL era? Or a player that is widely unknown outside of Liverpool and would never be mentioned in a best 100 all time list?
It's still Kenny

So glad Liverpool won't get feck all for him. Hopefully it's the same for VVD and Trent. Then we will see how great this new pep is!

To the people losing their tops at this quote, he was asked an extremely leading question by Keane ("were you surprised by how easy it was at times in the second half? You scored 3, but you could've scored 5 or 6 with the chances you missed"). Maybe he should've given a better PR answer (I honestly am not sure what that is when a question is framed like that), but it wasn't delivered in an arrogant, "kick 'em while they're down" way. He seemed much more concerned about this being his last year at Liverpool and trying to deal with whatever Daniel Sturridge thinks he's doing.

His surprise was more towards how open the game was on the 2nd half.
Consequently, more open game yield better chance for a forward to score (for both sides).
Understandably, Ten Hag wanted to chase the game to get a draw or maybe sneak a win but it was too haphazardly open.
Experienced forwards like Mo might have expected some cautious approach from United at that point, he just went along with the flow.
The dude seems to be enjoying what might be his last season in EPL.

Who are you referring to?

He's easily the greatest African footballer ever, right? Eto'o and Touré would be my two other candidates but Salah is clearly ahead of them for me. In fact, he's the greatest ever player who's not from Europe or South America, unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?

He's easily the greatest African footballer ever, right? Eto'o and Touré would be my two other candidates but Salah is clearly ahead of them for me. In fact, he's the greatest ever player who's not from Europe or South America, unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?
Weah is up there

I mean, how highly Utd fans rate him will be influenced by him consistently performing against them. Against us he’s had a couple of good games but has largely gone missing.

Gerrard for me is the better talent, better player, and had a bigger impact/influence for them. You also have to consider the teams both played in.

I mean, how highly Utd fans rate him will be influenced by him consistently performing against them. Against us he’s had a couple of good games but has largely gone missing.

Gerrard for me is the better talent, better player, and had a bigger impact/influence for them. You also have to consider the teams both played in.
This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I think Steven Gerrard is extremely overrated.

One of the best PL players ever. So damn consistent season after season.

Gerrard for me is not close to Salah, not in the same tier of players.

You cannot be that if you haven't won your country the continent trophy and been the main man while doing it

Drogba and Weah come into the mix, some might also consider Eusebio a product of Africa given the late age he moved to Europe.

Weah won the Ballon d’Or so not sure, but I never saw him play live. Salah is the best non European non South American player I’ve seen

Weah won the Ballon d’Or so not sure, but I never saw him play live. Salah is the best non European non South American player I’ve seen

I did, he was not particularly great.

I saw Salah as well and he was worse.

So going by their Chelsea performances, Drogba is the greatest African footballer ever.

Last edited:
If my auntie had wheels she’d be a bike. Zirkzee missed two opportunities that could have made it 3-2.
When the game was already done and dusted while we were sleepwalking towards FT, big win that. The game never felt like you would (or could) cause us many problems.

You'd be the first. I rate Lampard as roughly twice the player Gerrard was. I just never understood it with him.

And it's not just an anti-Liverpool thing. Mascherano and Alonso were genuine world class midfielders, Torres a world class attacker. Gerrard is one Istanbul better than Bruno Fernandes as far as I'm concerned.

Gerrard for me is not close to Salah, not in the same tier of players.

That’s fair, all about how you judge players.

I would liken Salah to Lampard. With both consistency and effectiveness were their biggest strengths. Both turned up in big matches (for club) and both are statistical monsters, while winning nearly everything they could in terms of trophies.

Yet I doubt you’d find anyone here saying Lampard was better than Scholes. Why? Because Scholes was simply the better player. It doesn’t matter how many goals Salah scores he still wouldn’t be a better player than Suarez for example.

You cannot be that if you haven't won your country the continent trophy and been the main man while doing it

Strongly disagree. Of course he's the player who can and should contribute by far the most for Egypt, but no player can do it all on their own. It's not like international football is the best indicator of anything in the modern era, either.

By the way, would Messi not be the greatest ever in your eyes, if they lost the shootout vs France?

Weah is up there
Drogba and Weah come into the mix, some might also consider Eusebio a product of Africa given the late age he moved to Europe.

I never really saw Weah either, so can't comment on him.

For me, Drogba isn't a contender. I'd confidently put Eto'o and Touré above him, and I personally don't think even them two are good enough to be picked over Salah.

I would liken Salah to Lampard. With both consistency and effectiveness were their biggest strengths. Both turned up in big matches (for club) and both are statistical monsters, while winning nearly everything they could in terms of trophies.

Yet I doubt you’d find anyone here saying Lampard was better than Scholes. Why? Because Scholes was simply the better player. Is doesn’t matter how many goals Salah scores he still wouldn’t be a better player than Suarez for example.
I would agree with that, but considering only their time at Liverpool, you have to go with Salah.

Suarez's 13-14 season is still probably better than any of Salah's, but Salah's got more seasons of top quality than Suarez does at Liverpool.

Yet I doubt you’d find anyone here saying Lampard was better than Scholes. Why? Because Scholes was simply the better player. It doesn’t matter how many goals Salah scores he still wouldn’t be a better player than Suarez for example.

Suárez is one of the best number nines ever, and certainly at least top 5 in the last 30 years. Not sure he's the best example you could've picked.

He's battered us for years, no need to be salty. Our players let us down yet again.

Great player.

I would agree with that, but considering only their time at Liverpool, you have to go with Salah.

Suarez's 13-14 season is still probably better than any of Salah's, but Salah's got more seasons of top quality than Suarez does at Liverpool.

For Liverpool absolutely Salah was better yeah.

I think Eto'o and Salah are in the same tier. Eto'o was incredible.
Eto’o at Inter was fantastic. I mistakenly saw him as just a brilliant fast forward but at Inter you saw just how good technically he was. Sort of reinvented himself as a complete striker.

Have people forgotten how long Jonny Evans was with us? He's won it more than once!
Yeah, it's a bit weird to make that comparison, and then get Evans' number completely wrong. Evans has more PL titles (3 vs.1), more FA Cups (2 vs. 1), more League Cups (2 vs. 1), and more Community Shields (4 vs. 1). They have the same amount of Champions League titles and Club World Cups (1 each). Salah has more UEFA Super Cups. Evans objectively has a much better club trophy haul, but Salah obviously has some years to correct it.

You'd be the first. I rate Lampard as roughly twice the player Gerrard was. I just never understood it with him.

And it's not just an anti-Liverpool thing. Mascherano and Alonso were genuine world class midfielders, Torres a world class attacker. Gerrard is one Istanbul better than Bruno Fernandes as far as I'm concerned.
You'd have caught a lot of people with this one, if not for that last sentence.

But you have not made your argument as to how Gerrard is better.

Yea Gerrard is a moments player, and I cannot get past that tbh.