Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

When The Office was made for the US, there was criticism that Steve Carell was mimicking Ricky Gervais's David Brent too much and then he made Michael Scott his own entity.

Turns out the Spanish version is Brent and Scott all rolled into one persona, named Mikel Arteta.
:lol:
Sensationslism aside. I see nothing wrong this incident. He's trying to motivate his players, and most likely the two sides are comfortable enough with each other to allow such pranks.
It's not just a silly prank though. It's a mental game to Arteta.

Sensationslism aside. I see nothing wrong this incident. He's trying to motivate his players, and most likely the two sides are comfortable enough with each other to allow such pranks.
Although if we're being objective, sensationalism is exactly what Arteta is going for with these weird pranks.
To your average Premier League player he probably seems like Aristotle
:lol:

Someone made a point a while ago that he needs mostly young, malleable players for his style of management to work, there's definitely something to it.

What an absolute weirdo. There's no way his players find this motivating. Ridiculous behaviour.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd be happy if your boss at work got people to pickpocket you.

Next year he’ll have players get mugged when walking alone in the tunnel to motivate them to always press as a team.

Unhinged behaviour.

I wonder what food related coaching he'll do next? Perhaps he'll starve the players and then tell them "I want you to remember that hunger in May!". Or maybe he'll food poison them to see who has the strongest stomach and fastest recovery time? A banana up the ass is a classic, but I'm not sure how he can spin that...

Heard they didn't actually give back the stuff they nicked, to further teach them.

Love all this shit. I'd read that they were playing a version of Traitors as well I think in Dubai, I'd have loved that. I'm a guy that likes to be mentally stimulated! :lol:

Love all this shit. I'd read that they were playing a version of Traitors as well I think in Dubai, I'd have loved that. I'm a guy that likes to be mentally stimulated! :lol:

You like to be robbed?

You like to be robbed?

Its like those Tik Tok videos. Guys taking watches from wrists and wallets from pockets and when they reveal them to you your left wondering how the feck they managed that.

There's a guy from my village that is pretty good at all that Derren Brown type of stuff. Been on Britain's and Americas Got Talent, has a residency in Vegas, got shows on every year at Edinburgh Festival.

It's fascinating stuff.

Pretty big difference between playing Traitors or Werewolf and hiring people to pickpocket your players.

Its like those Tik Tok videos. Guys taking watches from wrists and wallets from pockets and when they reveal them to you your left wondering how the feck they managed that.

There's a guy from my village that is pretty good at all that Derren Brown type of stuff. Been on Britain's and Americas Got Talent, has a residency in Vegas, got shows on every year at Edinburgh Festival.

It's fascinating stuff.
Probably because you're too busy fecking around scrolling on Tik Tok getting mind controlled by an algorithm

Pretty big difference between playing Traitors or Werewolf and hiring people to pickpocket your players.

Im sure it was all done in good jest mate. You'd think Arteta arranged to have them all hold up at knife point and their good sold on to fund drugs or trafficking the way folk are going on. :)

Im sure it was all done in good jest mate. You'd think Arteta arranged to have them all hold up at knife point and their good sold on to fund drugs or trafficking the way folk are going on. :)

It doesn't sound like a good jest. It seems like Arteta takes it very very seriously as highlighted by the other exerpt shared by @Mogget above and sees himself as a bit of a psychological genius but it comes across very David Brent. Proof will be in the pudding as always.

It doesn't sound like a good jest. It seems like Arteta takes it very very seriously as highlighted by the other exerpt shared by @Mogget above and sees himself as a bit of a psychological genius but it comes across very David Brent. Proof will be in the pudding as always.

So, do you think the players and coaches had a laugh about it when all was revealed or do you think that they took the lesson massively seriously and went to bed raging that they had let the coach down?

C'mon man. It might be Brent like but they do have fun as well, or do you think doing things like playing Dodgeball or going to Crystal Maze Experience is all serious as well?

Pretty sure that one is satire tbf.

So, do you think the players and coaches had a laugh about it when all was revealed or do you think that they took the lesson massively seriously and went to bed raging that they had let the coach down?

C'mon man. It might be Brent like but they do have fun as well, or do you think doing things like playing Dodgeball or going to Crystal Maze Experience is all serious as well?

I'm talking about it from the perspective of Arteta. Again, playing dodgeball and other games is far far apart from hiring pickpockets. :lol:

Pretty sure that one is satire tbf.
feck sake. :lol:

The one I posted is a Simpsons reference. The pickpocketing thing is weird as feck though, I can't lie

How it was received by the players and coaches has no bearing on how it was conceived and thought of by Arteta. It's quite clear from this kind of shit and the stuff that was in the documentary that he sees himself as some type of psychological savant, which is quite amusing.

I don't understand why people get tribal about this shit - if a Utd manager was pulling this kind of stuff, or coming out with the shit that Rodgers used to serve, I'd laugh about it and wouldn't dream of trying to find justifications to it. It's genuinely ridiculous. It doesn't matter so much as at the end of the day he's good at what he does as a coach, but these stunts come across as some bullshit middle-management initiatives that would end up as a self-serving LinkedIn post the next day. It's ok to say so.

How it was received by the players and coaches has no bearing on how it was conceived and thought of by Arteta. It's quite clear from this kind of shit and the stuff that was in the documentary that he sees himself as some type of psychological savant, which is quite amusing.

I don't understand why people get tribal about this shit - if a Utd manager was pulling this kind of stuff, or coming out with the shit that Rodgers used to serve, I'd laugh about it and wouldn't dream of trying to find justifications to it. It's genuinely ridiculous. It doesn't matter so much as at the end of the day he's good at what he does as a coach, but these stunts come across as some bullshit middle-management initiatives that would end up as a self-serving LinkedIn post the next day. It's ok to say so.

I mean, it kind of does, that's the whole point in it.

There's plenty in here, including Arsenal fans already, have said it's cringe.

That suggests it's not tribal, and it's a personal opinion. I like shit like that, I like managers that try to think outside the box. I personally wouldn't be embarrassed myself doing some of the stuff being asked of the players, but thats me and i can see others would, so again that's a personal thing.

The problem with Rodgers and Brent is also visual, makes it easier to link the 2. I just can't get the dancing David Brent meme out my head when I see him.

Unorthodox sure but I don't see how having a bit of fun would hurt any of his players.

He's a very strange man. Maybe it's his secret way of team bonding as he knows a lot of his players will have fun taking the piss out of him after the meal.

Genuis

Unhinged behaviour.

This is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I feel like even he doesn't really believe such a thing would be useful in any way. IMO, he does things like this so that in the event he ever has any actual success, people can look back on moments like these and be like 'oh he's actually a genius'. He's so full of it.

On a slightly unrelated note - why is he so highly regarded as a manager by many on here and twitter? Yeah, the football they play looks nice for the most part but in 5 years he's won 1 FA cup.

This is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I feel like even he doesn't really believe such a thing would be useful in any way. IMO, he does things like this so that in the event he ever has any actual success, people can look back on moments like these and be like 'oh he's actually a genius'. He's so full of it.

On a slightly unrelated note - why is he so highly regarded as a manager by many on here and twitter? Yeah, the football they play looks nice for the most part but in 5 years he's won 1 FA cup.
:lol: :lol:

It depends on the context and the way it was done. We weren't there so can't really say it's ridiculous.
"Not being there" and therefore not knowing the details applies to a million things we still comment about, on a football message board, you included.

What is being reported is more than enough to form an opinion on it, especially as it is in line with what we already know of Arteta.