McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was nowhere near good enough to be a regular starter but was someone that always gave his best whenever he did play. Nowhere near deserved the hatred he got from some on here. We’ve had much worser, lazier players than McTominay. Not his fault that we tried to shoehorn him into a DM or number 8 when it’s clearly evident that he is neither of those midfield type of players. As he’s shown for Scotland, he’s an attacking midfielder that plays at his best when he’s playing further up the pitch closer to the striker than near his own goal closer to the CB. Of course that place in the team is Bruno’s and he was never going to displace Bruno from the starting lineup.

I wish him well and think he will do really well over there.

If Ten Hag didn’t want him to go or want Ugarte he has his veto no?

He’s a much better player than Lewis Ferguson who’s thriving at Bologna and would have probably ended up at Juve if not for his injury.

Napoli fans seem to think they create a lot of chances for their midfielders that get squandered, McSauce will bang goals in.

Ee, getting a bit sad this. Let's go back to this:

scott-mctominay-to-napoli-here-we-go-deal-in-place-for-30m-v0-tH3eKzBE0PjVGa5zRxQyUljXjATDAu2P9Nm3Uo1NmrQ.jpg

This is a tough one for me for reasons far beyond football. McTominay's two late goals against Brentford wound up being the two last two United goals my dad got to see, which meant his last memories as a United supporter were happy ones. My first game without my dad was against Sheffield United (the day after he died, as luck would have it), and McTominay opened the scoring in that one; the goal simultaneously ripped my heart out (I'd never reacted to a goal with violent sobs before) and helped it heal a tiny bit. I actually wrote the club afterwards, to say thank you for the role it's played in my dad's and my relationship and for McTominay for giving him that final wonderful moment, and they sent a signed picture - it has pride of place on the bookshelf behind my desk. As a great man once said: football - bloody hell.
Ah that’s sad, man. Sorry for your loss. But a special coincidence.

I always liked Mctominay. Loved the club, always spoke well, very professional and had some great games for us, despite what some would have you believe.

Brought the club a nice chunk of cash too. Wish him all the best.

That’s why the club is more than just a football team for a lot of us.

This sucks man, what a shame.
Top lad Scott, Napoli fans will love him I am sure.
It doesn’t get much cooler than playing on the same pitch week in week out that Maradona played on and in the stadium that is named after him.

Genuinely haven’t felt this sad about a United player leaving since Beckham left, I don’t know why.

It is what it is.

This sucks man, what a shame.
Top lad Scott, Napoli fans will love him I am sure.
It doesn’t get much cooler than playing on the same pitch week in week out that Maradona played on.
McSauce is dead. Long live MaraScotta!

It feels weird selling him after last season but we should have forwards who can replace his goals. It’s be fun to see how he pans out there. He wasn’t a good enough midfielder by any tangible metric. He seems like a top professional though and if they are looking for a goal scoring physical player he could do quite well. I think he’ll probably end up a squad player there too though if I’m being honest.

Last edited:
Best of luck to Mctominay. Unlike some players who wore the United shirt over the years he had a real love the club. Has left some good memories behind and will be interesting to see how he does with Napoil. the slower paced league will perhaps suit him better.

Good luck to him. Hope is as or more successful than all other Italian exports. They generally seem to do well.

The displeasure directed at the player should be really directed at the club and it's functioning. I was of the same view with regards to Lingard as I am with McTom, they were good enough as squad players and in the SAF era would have been used as such. Our shoddy recruitment in the Woorward era was responsible for catapulting them into starters and folks overly criticizing them. Would be looked at more fondly for their contributions if our shit show didn't have them start so many games.

Seen some incredible takes from ex-players/managers how this is a disaster from United's perspective and I'm left wondering if I'm just completely wrong about football (strong possibility :lol: ).

If you want to challenge for league titles and champions leagues or build towards that then you have to have players of a certain standard/ability. The sad fact is Mctominay isn't one of those players and wouldn't get in the squad of City, Arsenal or Liverpool and wouldn't meet the profile of the player for their systems. Good player who has his his uses (like Fellaini all those years ago) but this isn't prime David Beckham we're selling.
Lots of football people just like him as a player. Every manager he's had has liked him and wanted to play him.

Plays for United = hate him, Leaves United = think he's great.

You cannot have it both ways.

You can...

He's like that stupid younger brother one has. You hate him and the feck ups he get upto at home. Mess that you have to get sorted everytime.

But once he leaves home to move to another city, you just miss him and realise how much you love him...

Think that is the case with McT and many of our good but not good enough Academy players

Why Napoli? He'll be like a big fish in small pond.

I'm not sure he will even start. Lobotka and Anguissa are the two CM's and he is a different profile to Lobotka. He will be competing with Anguissa unless Conte has other plans

Seen some incredible takes from ex-players/managers how this is a disaster from United's perspective and I'm left wondering if I'm just completely wrong about football (strong possibility :lol: ).

If you want to challenge for league titles and champions leagues or build towards that then you have to have players of a certain standard/ability. The sad fact is Mctominay isn't one of those players and wouldn't get in the squad of City, Arsenal or Liverpool and wouldn't meet the profile of the player for their systems. Good player who has his his uses (like Fellaini all those years ago) but this isn't prime David Beckham we're selling.

This is how I feel as well, we're aiming to get back into being among the top 5 teams in the world, not hanging on to incredibly limited players who might be a good option to throw in with 5min left because they had one season where they scored a handful of goals more than their average tally of 1.5 from their previous 6 seasons.

I'm really, really glad he's leaving though I wish him all the best in Italy and I hope he gets to win the Scudetto a few times.

Really wish him the best of luck.

It's a good deal for everyone really. He does seem like a top professional and he always tried his best which is more than we can say for a lot of our players in recent times, but he did also appear to shy away from receiving the ball in midfield. At times, he appeared to actively hide behind opposition players.

He was too limited and while he did serve a purpose and probably would've scored a couple important goals for us this season, these are the kind of players we need to move on.

Will be fun to keep an eye on how he is doing at Napoli.

What a positive surprise. I'm very impressed that we sold him für that amount. What Napoli see in him I'll never know, but bless 'em.

Now let's sell Maguire and Sancho so the stench of failure, craziness and embarrassment can leave the club.

Despite his limitations I appreciated his contributions and there were games where he was unplayable.

Good Luck Scott

Why Napoli? He'll be like a big fish in small pond.

Fancies himself as the next Maradona?

He'll have a fantastic life down there, be treated like royalty everywhere he goes, and get to play 90 minutes every week. I can't think of many better clubs to play for.

Best of luck Saucy. Likeable player. Not suitble for us but always liked him and produced some special moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.