McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s played something like 250 games and he wanted more minutes???

Byeeee.

The idea that this is something to be criticised is utterly absurd.

Him wanting more minutes, and moving to get them, is to be commended, especially in an age of mercenaries happy to collect an inflated salary on the bench (or on the sofa).

Apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it. But I’ve just read that this 25.4 million sale makes McTominay our 5th most expensive sale of all time.

I thought that must be nonsense at first but if not it sure shows how rubbish the previous regime were at selling on surplus players.
Think he is 7th surely - Ronaldo, Lukaku, Di Maria, Beckham, Mkhitaryan & Greenwood

Think he is 7th surely - Ronaldo, Lukaku, Di Maria, Beckham, Mkhitaryan & Greenwood
Beckham was 24.5 m apparently and Greenwoods was 23 potentially rising to 26 with add ons not yet met obviously. Mikhtaryan was 30m. Although I thought he was a swop.

So he’s currently 4th behind Ronaldo, Lukaku and Di Maria and potentially dropping to 5th if Greenwood surpasses him.

Apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it. But I’ve just read that this 25.4 million sale makes McTominay our 5th most expensive sale of all time.

I thought that must be nonsense at first but if not it sure shows how rubbish the previous regime were at selling on surplus players.

If that's any consolation, selling players for more than 30m€ is not all that common for any big club even in the PL (you can check on Transfermarkt).

Beckham was 24.5 m apparently and Greenwoods was 23 potentially rising to 26 with add ons not yet met obviously

Greenwood's you are right on, got that wrong - Beckham's the exchange rate was different so I saw 40m EUR which was worth a hell of a lot less obviously...

Point stands from the original post, we have sucked at transfer fee's and if we agree with James included that these are the top 7 sales, we have done 2 this year which is good.

Greenwood's you are right on, got that wrong - Beckham's the exchange rate was different so I saw 40m EUR which was worth a hell of a lot less obviously...

Point stands from the original post, we have sucked at transfer fee's and if we agree with James included that these are the top 7 sales, we have done 2 this year which is good.
Beckham (for us Brits) was 25m pounds. No way Fergie (I wouldn’t sell that lot a virus) would have accepted euros. And even then I’ll bet he checked all the notes for forgeries

And yes the original point stands as does yours that things appear to be on the up with INEOS. Some great business done this window I think.

The lad gets too much hate from our fans. Fair play if he wants to leave for more game time, he’s not a bad footballer but it’s time for him to move on. He’s always been a solid professional, never causing drama, never in the news for doing something stupid. I wish him all the best at Napoli.
:+1:

Seen some incredible takes from ex-players/managers how this is a disaster from United's perspective and I'm left wondering if I'm just completely wrong about football (strong possibility :lol: ).

If you want to challenge for league titles and champions leagues or build towards that then you have to have players of a certain standard/ability. The sad fact is Mctominay isn't one of those players and wouldn't get in the squad of City, Arsenal or Liverpool and wouldn't meet the profile of the player for their systems. Good player who has his his uses (like Fellaini all those years ago) but this isn't prime David Beckham we're selling.

Will be very interested to see how he does at Napoli, I think he could do very well., and I hope he does, as much as he is not what we need he has always given his all to the club, great lad, I am excited for him

Seen some incredible takes from ex-players/managers how this is a disaster from United's perspective and I'm left wondering if I'm just completely wrong about football (strong possibility :lol: ).

If you want to challenge for league titles and champions leagues or build towards that then you have to have players of a certain standard/ability. The sad fact is Mctominay isn't one of those players and wouldn't get in the squad of City, Arsenal or Liverpool and wouldn't meet the profile of the player for their systems. Good player who has his his uses (like Fellaini all those years ago) but this isn't prime David Beckham we're selling.

Because of the close connection from such a young age probably but completely agree with your point

Gutted to see him go. Again without a proper good-bye. He is a pivotal squad player. We need to be build up depth and quality.

I feel like ETH wanting to keep him has been reported previously. Not sure about the Ugarte stuff though, reads a bit like gossip.

No wonder Eth subbed McTominay on against Brighton. Was he trying to sway the board to keep McTominay? If so, the manager needs to give his head a right wobble.

Did we have a manager that didn't like McTominay ? It's not exactly surprising EtH would do. The lad must be a great pro.

I don’t trust that spoofer source but it actually wouldn’t surprise me. McTominay was a key player for ten Hag’s tactics (rather lack thereof). Wilcox/club would have recognised the possibility of maximising profit for a player with a year left on contract who isn’t particularly good. Ugarte also sounds like a very heavy data led club analysed target.

Did we have a manager that didn't like McTominay ? It's not exactly surprising EtH would do. The lad must be a great pro.

No, I was listening to Talk Of The Devils earlier today and they reiterated the same. There's obviously been something about him for such different sets of managers & coaches to have all leaned on him.

I really like Mctominay although I do agree he's not a player to win you the league, but he always seemed likeable and a top professional. Didn't hurt that he popped up with match winning moments occasionally as well. I wish him all the best in Naples, I hope it's a great move for him.

Ridiculous if we sell him. We never learn and deserve to be where we are for poor decisions like this. Selling him and keeping some of non professional players at the club have been standard for many years now.

Seeing people upset about Scott mctominay leaving shows how far we've fallen.

Would you think City would miss him if it were them getting rid? Not that he'd be in their squad in the first place.

McTominay may have been a fine squad player to keep if we were happy to consolidate our standing as a Europa league level club. Thankfully the new executive team are showing higher ambitions.

Seeing people upset about Scott mctominay leaving shows how far we've fallen.

Would you think City would miss him if it were them getting rid? Not that he'd be in their squad in the first place.

McTominay may have been a fine squad player to keep if we were happy to consolidate our standing as a Europa league level club. Thankfully the new executive team are showing higher ambitions.
Imagine if Palmer came through our academy and we were the ones selling him. The truth is most of the academy players we sold turned out be correct decisions. By all accounts, McT appeared to be a good pro without any off field distractions about him so I wish him well but ultimately he wasn't good enough. We get some good money for him and he gets to play for a decent club in another league. Win for all.

Best of luck to him, but I still think this is a mistake if we don’t bring in another goal scoring player.

We have few goals in our squad based on current knowns, not what we hope players will do, and he has generally been useful when needed on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.