2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I'm not saying @HTG is wrong, but in terms of those Bayern fans who watched him regularly, there was an awful lot more who though differently. Just check their reddit or their official site.

It is in the German league, playing for Bayern though, so the fact there is even some debate about it should be a bit troubling when he’s stepping up in level and not playing for a dominant club? When we then add in that he’s been injury-prone, it always looked a risky signing.

That said, he looks to have some really good attributes and I think it’s pointless judging any player until we’ve changed manager. Way to early to start writing any of the new players off.

Aston Villa 0:0 Man Utd New
Up until that shocking miss it was pretty much the perfect post-catastrophe cameo — very assured, aggressive and tough to beat. I'd say it was still a net positive but he got very lucky that Dalot had managed to block what looked to be a certain goal.

Still our best centre back at the moment (with Yoro's level being an unknown factor so far).

Looked better in his 45 mins today, but not playing next to the chaos that is Martinez helps. In the end I want De Light + Maguire/Evans until Yoro is back and then De ligt + Yoro

That looks worse than it was. He was running back to his goal and the ball was just behind. Hard, almost impossible, to shift momentum at that point.

He played well today. We need more of this from him. I'd say playing next to a sweeper style definitely suits him but Evans himself was quite aggressive front-foot today too. Just knew when to, and timed it well, as well.

I reckon the next manager, whoever it is, will fancy Maguire - Yoro. De Ligt seems to always have a mistake in him. Almost let them score today when let the ball through his legs for a cutback.

I reckon the next manager, whoever it is, will fancy Maguire - Yoro. De Ligt seems to always have a mistake in him. Almost let them score today when let the ball through his legs for a cutback.
As pointed out in the thread already, that isn't what happened.

As pointed out in the thread already, that isn't what happened.
Ok, if you've a clip it would be great. Only saw it during the match. Point still stands, though. Does seem to have a mistake in him. Maguire is our most consistent CB.

Ok, if you've a clip it would be great. Only saw it during the match. Point still stands, though. Does seem to have a mistake in him. Maguire is our most consistent CB.

Just after the 2 minute mark. He's running back in and the ball goes slightly behind him. There isn't actually anything he can do, it just looks weird because it's so close to him.
Are you saying Maguire doesn't have a mistake in him?

Sort of alright but a nagging feeling that Maguire is a better option.

Just to be clear, you’re a United fan and are implying Maguire does NOT have a mistake in him?

Just after the 2 minute mark. He's running back in and the ball goes slightly behind him. There isn't actually anything he can do, it just looks weird because it's so close to him.
Are you saying Maguire doesn't have a mistake in him?

Paused it at the moment you're talking about, think he should still do better. But let's move on from that.

No I am not saying Maguire doesn't, it's just he seems less shaky to me. It seems De Ligt plays better against someone with more experience that can help guide him positionally (like Blind). It's going to be Yoro + 1 because we need his pace, profile and height. So of the two, it's Maguire for me.

Honestly, not saying you do this, I think players like Maguire get viewed through a lens where every mistake is overly scrutinised and his quality is minimised.

Just to be clear, you’re a United fan and are implying Maguire does NOT have a mistake in him?
Everyone's got a mistake in them. It's about whether you think them being in the team is worth it or not. Of the two, I think Maguire's benefits would suit what is required of the team more than De Ligt (when paired with Yoro).

I actually think for actual physical quality, De Ligt is better than Maguire. They've similar strengths and weaknesses, but De Ligt is more mobile. Mentally, however I think Maguire edges it. I think he is a better leader and I think he reads the game better too (remember, he is 6 years older).

Everyone's got a mistake in them. It's about whether you think them being in the team is worth it or not. Of the two, I think Maguire's benefits would suit what is required of the team more than De Ligt (when paired with Yoro).

I actually think for actual physical quality, De Ligt is better than Maguire. They've similar strengths and weaknesses, but De Ligt is more mobile. Mentally, however I think Maguire edges it. I think he is a better leader and I think he reads the game better too (remember, he is 6 years older).
Maguire is too passive for me, De Ligt seems to have a bit more fire in him which I think is really missing in our team. Too early to know how De Ligt would be in a settled team because he’s played like 4 games or something.

If we want to play deep line and direct long ball, we have great CBs for it and it’s extremely easy to coach (3 managers we’ve had who have done it have been relatively successful). I hope though we push for something else though. I really don’t mind seasons like last and how this one has started if we’re at least trying to evolve. If they run out of patience with ETH, they just need to commit to continuing the move away from counter football because we simply don’t win playing Mou/Ole or ETH first season football.

I like Maguire, he’s a good albeit not great player. Since he came here he’s been hounded by the media and I think, without being melodramatic, is probably mentally scarred by just how much shit he’s taken. That shows a certain resilience and should be admired. I’m not sure he’s a leader though, as said I think he’s too passive, he’s more a solid CB you’d want as part of a broader squad (basically a younger Evans), our hope is some of our younger CBs can develop to be elite.

Looked good in a deep well organised defence.

I'm thinking the same sort of thing, too. The more calm and co-ordinated we are as a team, the more useful I think he will be. When the game is more chaotic, I think his flaws will be more exposed. Pretty disappointed that a partnership with Martinez looks unlikely, especially given how awful Martinez has looked this season. Think that combination is too unruly to work.

All over the place and uncontrolled with his defending. Bambi on skates on ice. We survived it though, thankfully.

Paused it at the moment you're talking about, think he should still do better.
But that's a ridiculous thing to do. He's running one way so he can't just stop in a split second and clear it. He was back up in an instant and back in a good position.

This Maguire empathy that's come about is funny. He made a huge mistake on Thursday in his 20 minutes when he scrambled to try and play someone offside when he was looking straight across the line, looking at Dalot who was playing the guy on. But he scored a header so he deserves a chance now. The chance Maguire gave away was a bigger chance than any De Ligt gave away, but De Ligts got punished.

Thought he was solid enough without being anything special today. A mile away from his performance mid-week.

it just smells chaos when the manager who spent big bucks on two players he worked with before benches both of them

Along with anybody else underperforming I fail to blame them and will stick to blaming the failing manager and his shit tactics, will hold off assessing the signings until they are in a competent team

But that's a ridiculous thing to do. He's running one way so he can't just stop in a split second and clear it. He was back up in an instant and back in a good position.

This Maguire empathy that's come about is funny. He made a huge mistake on Thursday in his 20 minutes when he scrambled to try and play someone offside when he was looking straight across the line, looking at Dalot who was playing the guy on. But he scored a header so he deserves a chance now. The chance Maguire gave away was a bigger chance than any De Ligt gave away, but De Ligts got punished.
I didn't say he should stop and clear it. If you pause the video, he slows down such that he is in line with the ball, it's not behind him. He can adjust his his right footing to block it, which is what he tried to do but failed. Not easy to do, fair enough.

Let's say it's not an error, I am not really that fussed. I do remember Maguire's mistake also, but I'll reiterate:

All our CBs are best suited next to someone like Yoro to cover their deficiences. Of those CBs, the one that mitigates Yoro's the best (experience, organising defence) is Maguire, IMO.

We will see what happens, anyway. I don't think there is a significant difference between the two, for what it's worth.

Maguire is a better leader? YES. Perhaps at leading this pack of spineless players representing Manchester United. Same player that was demoted from his captaincy because he could not hack it. This desperation to prop up Maguire is laughable. He is a below average defender who is on his way out. He has not messed up (yet) but will soon enough, and that barely makes a positive. The sob stories for Maguire are dull now, but I suppose it sums up the standards at Manchester United.

Maguire is a better leader? YES. Perhaps at leading this pack of spineless players representing Manchester United. Same player that was demoted from his captaincy because he could not hack it. This desperation to prop up Maguire is laughable. He is a below average defender who is on his way out. He has not messed up (yet) but will soon enough, and that barely makes a positive. The sob stories for Maguire are dull now, but I suppose it sums up the standards at Manchester United.
:lol: :lol:

There's not much between them, no matter how much you try to make it out to be. By far the biggest thing de Ligt has over Maguire is that he's 6 years younger. They're incredibly similar players profile wise, and around the same level as well. And de Ligt hasn't really shown that he's as good as Maguire in the Premier League so far, so we'll have to give him the benefit of doubt, but he'll probably come good.

There's not much between them, no matter how much you try to make it out to be. By far the biggest thing de Ligt has over Maguire is that he's 6 years younger. They're incredibly similar players profile wise, and around the same level as well. And de Ligt hasn't really shown that he's as good as Maguire in the Premier League so far, so we'll have to give him the benefit of doubt, but he'll probably come good.
Age is irrelevant. Maguire, 6 years ago, was not good enough and still isn't. De ligt has only just arrived at the club and if he doesn't hack it, he will tuffed out just as quick. The desperation for Maguire in the media is painful. He should never have joined the club and is emblematic of the shambolic standards at the club.

I'm thinking the same sort of thing, too. The more calm and co-ordinated we are as a team, the more useful I think he will be. When the game is more chaotic, I think his flaws will be more exposed. Pretty disappointed that a partnership with Martinez looks unlikely, especially given how awful Martinez has looked this season. Think that combination is too unruly to work.
So far it has felt as he has the tools but need some guidance how to use them. When it’s been chaotic around him, he has looked lost, but today our focus was very basic defending, and Evans could guide him through that. Him and Martinez seems like a mismatch but let’s wait some more games for final judgement.

Age is irrelevant. Maguire, 6 years ago, was not good enough and still isn't. De ligt has only just arrived at the club and if he doesn't hack it, he will tuffed out just as quick. The desperation for Maguire in the media is painful. He should never have joined the club and is emblematic of the shambolic standards at the club.

Maguire has always been good enough.

"Shambolic standards" I swear these nonsensical buzzwords are getting tiring.

You are not saying anything that's close to the truth or even real. You are just not willing to rate a player because football fans who don't know anything about football don't rate him either, and like to gang up on him and "meme" him, and abuse him.

Maguire is good enough for any team in the Premier League. He has nothing to do with your perceived lack of standards.

Maguire has always been good enough.

"Shambolic standards" I swear these nonsensical buzzwords are getting tiring.

You are not saying anything that's close to the truth or even real. You are just not willing to rate a player because football fans who don't know anything about football don't rate him either, and like to gang up on him and "meme" him, and abuse him.

Maguire is good enough for any team in the Premier League. He has nothing to do with your perceived lack of standards.

Maguire had people meme him because at one point he was doing 'meme-able' stuff on a weekly base.

Maguire was never good enough for Manchester United. Too clumsy, not enough acceleration, often takes himself out of play with a bad tackle/lunge and he takes way too long on the ball.

He is good at putting his head in the path of the ball (not at heading itself since he cant aim his headers very well) and he has a pretty good long pass from RCB to the left wing.

It's funny reading how our supporters went from viewing Maguire as a meme and a liability to this new and reinvented CB that is a Vidic regen.

The reason Maguire appears to have turned a leaf is because he doesn't play as much. You can't make many mistakes when you aren't playing.

Let's not get carried away, he is a decent option, but using him as some kind of barometer of success or to take a dump on De Ligt, feels very weird considering every time he had an extended run of games he eventually gets benched due to poor performances.

Maguire had people meme him because at one point he was doing 'meme-able' stuff on a weekly base.

Maguire was never good enough for Manchester United. Too clumsy, not enough acceleration, often takes himself out of play with a bad tackle/lunge and he takes way too long on the ball.

He is good at putting his head in the path of the ball (not at heading itself since he cant aim his headers very well) and he has a pretty good long pass from RCB to the left wing.
So you did not see the headed goal against Porto to get the team out of trouble...I know it was ages ago :lol:

Paused it at the moment you're talking about, think he should still do better. But let's move on from that.

No I am not saying Maguire doesn't, it's just he seems less shaky to me. It seems De Ligt plays better against someone with more experience that can help guide him positionally (like Blind). It's going to be Yoro + 1 because we need his pace, profile and height. So of the two, it's Maguire for me.

Honestly, not saying you do this, I think players like Maguire get viewed through a lens where every mistake is overly scrutinised and his quality is minimised.

There's a bit of both with him really but I think that happens with a lot of players. Similar to players like Onana some people will constantly be looking to put blame on him, but there are plenty that ignore errors when judging him. This can obviously be heavily influenced by outcomes.
The Porto game for instance, if they score the 1v1 that came about because he made a poor decision to try playing an offside that was never on, then his performance is judged a lot differently even though the error is the same and was probably worse than anything De Ligt did in that game.

We should probably be careful not to put too much on Loro as well, throwing him in as a sort of defacto first choice when he's coming into a team who have been underperforming, he's still young with a lot to learn and has been out injured would be a lot.

Fortunate Maguire is injured as he had already been dropped for the better player.

More funds should have been directed at the forward line than defence in the summer.

The less you play, the better you are in the eyes of the blind supporters. Maguire fits in this category.

Since Maguire gave the captaincy to Bruno he has been a much better player for United. However, if we want to play football as we did during the first half against Crystal Palace, we clearly need De Ligt. His biggest advantage compared to Harry is his ability to play higher up the pitch in a higher standing back4.

I am certain Matthijs will be a fine defender for us as soon he fully settles to the intensity of the PL.

Since Maguire gave the captaincy to Bruno he has been a much better player for United. However, if we want to play football as we did during the first half against Crystal Palace, we clearly need De Ligt. His biggest advantage compared to Harry is his ability to play higher up the pitch in a higher standing back4.

I am certain Matthijs will be a fine defender for us as soon he fully settles to the intensity of the PL.
Captaincy is the poisoned chalice , Bruno has been terrible as captain