View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the fact people were trying to find positive things to say despite him not doing anything. It’s the very start of him being ‘shit’.
And I’m referring to people picking holes in everything he does after a few pre season games to claim that he is shit.

Utterly pathetic.

Sometimes I forget that this is just the internet. And only slightly better than Twitter comments.

I feel like he’s either going to be the flop of the season or the surprise/ signing of the season. Don’t think there’s a middle ground. Could have a lot of fans/ rival fans eating humble pie.

‘No middle ground’ with Mason Mount is an interesting take as he is very much a ‘middle ground’ player. Going off pre-season alone even, he’s simply just come in and been Mason Mount. Would be difficult to argue that he’s played amazingly, just as it would be difficult to argue that he’s been rubbish. Which, if you were to assess Mason Mount at most points in his career, that’s pretty much where you will find him, albeit closer to amazing than rubbish, but rarely amazing.

Mount is a good player. That said, I suspect you need to find a new level other than ‘signing of the season’ to equate to his success because he’s never been that player, and his most exceptional quality is chasing after people. He will hopefully be a consistent 7 every game for us, which would be fine by me.

Mounts a decent enough player. Issue is, he's not someone team worry about.

Maybe they don't worry about him in the sense of a game changer, but they sure as hell worry about him being everywhere on the pitch and chasing them while pressing like a mad man all the time. He is quite physical too and not scared to get stuck in, so the opponents really need to make quick decisions compared to the amount of time they had on the ball while Eriksen was on the pitch.

‘No middle ground’ with Mason Mount is an interesting take as he is very much a ‘middle ground’ player. Going off pre-season alone even, he’s simply just come in and been Mason Mount. Would be difficult to argue that he’s played amazingly, just as it would be difficult to argue that he’s been rubbish. Which, if you were to assess Mason Mount at most points in his career, that’s pretty much where you will find him, albeit closer to amazing than rubbish, but rarely amazing.

Mount is a good player. That said, I suspect you need to find a new level other than ‘signing of the season’ to equate to his success because he’s never been that player, and his most exceptional quality is chasing after people. He will hopefully be a consistent 7 every game for us, which would be fine by me.

I guarantee you he’ll be a 7 every game during his tenure at the club. ;)

Mounts a decent enough player. Issue is, he's not someone team worry about.
You don’t need 11 players that the opposition has to worry about though. You need 11 players that follow the managers tactics, there’s a very specific reason why ETH signed him. I hope we see that as the season goes on. He’s getting in good areas and working hard off the ball but there’s much more that we need to see transpire to the pitch.

He was Chelsea’s player of the year- so your comment doesn’t really hold up

Maybe they don't worry about him in the sense of a game changer, but they sure as hell worry about him being everywhere on the pitch and chasing them while pressing like a mad man all the time. He is quite physical too and not scared to get stuck in, so the opponents really need to make quick decisions compared to the amount of time they had on the ball while Eriksen was on the pitch.
Trust me, they really don't worry about him. Teams sorry about non-game winners all the time yet with him, he's not that guy.

Someone mentioned a while ago he's our Park Ji-Sung. Nothing special but does the job quietly. And much like Park, I don't think he should be a starter for us every game.

What's funny is, when he played for Chelsea, I'd posit 80% of his current supporters didn't rate him nor understand why Chelsea fans rated him so highly. Now he's signed, suddenly they're attributing quality and and ability he doesn't have to him.

I think Chelsea fans rated him the way we rated Lingard for a while i.e because he was a home-grown, academy boy. Trouble is, he's just not that good, he's an average player who has decent physical attributes.

Issue is, he's not our homegrown player so he has no history nor goodwill because he's on £200k per week, cost £50m and is wearing our #7 shirt.

From the pre season games I've seen, he's looks OK but nothing stand out. Basically the same I thought when he was at Chelsea.

Be honest with yourselves, did you fear Mount when he lined up for Chelsea? No. You didn't.
Nonsense. comparing Mount to Lingard (any form of Lingard) is an insult to Mount. It was common knowledge and virtually sealed within the Chelsea fanbase that Mount would become captain and that if they manged to keep him Poch would love him. There was never a time in Lingard's long career that any fanbase held him to such high regard.

Yes and City wanted Fred and Maguire also.. Mount might have been 5th or 6th on their list. On our list he was nr1 :lol:

Caicedo to Chelsea
Lavia to Liverpool
Chelsea reject Mount to United.

Haha cant make this shit up. I thought we were heading in the right direction but this decision have proved one thing, we havent changed at all.

Theres no way this group will make top 5. No way.

Well you have just made that up.

Car crash of a post.

And I’m referring to people picking holes in everything he does after a few pre season games to claim that he is shit.

Utterly pathetic.

I genuinely think that there's a lot of people who either have a bias towards a certain player, or they just make their minds up early, and instead of wanting to see him do well for their club, they would rather have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so"

That's literally more important to them then actually having a player play well for their club. Being proved "right" is the most important thing.

Yeh probably on a wing, not alongside Casemiro.

Just common sense there’s no chance mount is playing in a midfield 2 or where he did today against City or Liverpool. He’ll end up false nine or right wing in the big games similar to Bruno last season

I fully expect us to go to Arsenal and Spurs with him next to Casemiro in the first few weeks of the season. I suppose a lot could change in big games depending on those results

Trust me, they really don't worry about him. Teams sorry about non-game winners all the time yet with him, he's not that guy.

Respectfully, you have no idea what players teams worry about and not. No player or team like to face tenacious players who play with high intensity and press relentlessly.

Nonsense. comparing Mount to Lingard (any form of Lingard) is an insult to Mount. It was common knowledge and virtually sealed within the Chelsea fanbase that Mount would become captain and that if they manged to keep him Poch would love him. There was never a time in Lingard's long career that any fanbase held him to such high regard.
Several Chelsea fans I've spoken to are really non-plussed about him going. It's as if the support they gave him was more to do with his relationship with the club, rather than on his technical ability.

Poch would love him? A manager with zero meaningful trophies would love a player? Well where do I sign up?!

Seriously, he's not the answer to our team and his shortcomings will grate by January, but it's not his fault, he's a decent squad player. Not a £200k pw #7

Yes and City wanted Fred and Maguire also.. Mount might have been 5th or 6th on their list. On our list he was nr1 :lol:

Caicedo to Chelsea
Lavia to Liverpool

Haha cant make this shit up. I thought we were heading in the right direction but this decision have proved one thing, we havent changed at all.

So what club do you actually support? Seeing as how you're on the WUM, pretending to be a United supporter.

I fully expect us to go to Arsenal and Spurs with him next to Casemiro in the first few weeks of the season. I suppose a lot could change in big games depending on those results
What a way to ensure we get slapped to nil again.

Several Chelsea fans I've spoken to are really non-plussed about him going. It's as if the support they gave him was more to do with his relationship with the club, rather than on his technical ability.

Poch would love him? A manager with zero meaningful trophies would love a player? Well where do I sign up?!

Seriously, he's not the answer to our team and his shortcomings will grate by January, but it's not his fault, he's a decent squad player. Not a £200k pw #7

Forget January, look how he's grating already and he hasn't even played a competitive match yet.

Maybe just try and be a bit more patient and see what happens.

A little worried about this one, lets see how it goes

Caicedo to Chelsea
Lavia to Liverpool

Mount was on Liverpool's list over MacAllister. Continue with posts like these and you'll never be promoted.

He was Chelsea’s player of the year- so your comment doesn’t really hold up

And they were a poor side? Who else would have been their player of the year? A player was able to win it without being amazing, just consistently good. He was constantly plagued by question marks about his level. ‘Lampard’s son’, Southgate having to come out and explain why he plays him. Plenty calls for Grealish, Foden and Maddison ahead of him at different times. As I’ve said, undoubtedly ‘good’. I’d say that’s about it, which is not the worst thing. But people debating his pre-season back and forth. This isn’t simply a case of it only being preseason and him being new. This has been a theme of his career. He’s come in and been Mason Mount for me. He hasn’t performed above or below what I expect of him. Of course, extrapolated over the course of 50 games, there will inevitably be some goals and some assists. But this is a level I expect in general.

And they were a poor side? Who else would have been their player of the year? A player was able to win it without being amazing, just consistently good. He was constantly plagued by question marks about his level. ‘Lampard’s son’, Southgate having to come out and explain why he plays him. Plenty calls for Grealish, Foden and Maddison ahead of him at different times. As I’ve said, undoubtedly ‘good’. I’d say that’s about it, which is not the worst thing. But people debating his pre-season back and forth. This isn’t simply a case of it only being preseason and him being new. This has been a theme of his career. He’s come in and been Mason Mount for me. He hasn’t performed above or below what I expect of him. Of course, extrapolated over the course of 50 games, there will inevitably be some goals and some assists. But this is a level I expect in general.

Kovacic? Reece James? Kanté?

They won the Champions League. Clearly not a poor side.

They won the Champions League.

Yeah, that didn’t happen. Why on earth would anyone laugh at a player winning player of the year, not once but twice :wenger:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mason-mount.450060/page-25

Feel free to read through the general opinion, most people didn't see it and just think he's average. The England performances, the general floating through games was noticed.

Classic case of DDG winning our player of the year, in a roundabout way showed how badly we were doing, Mount was a bit similar for Chelsea.

I've no real idea what we'll do in big games, nor do I particularly care at this point. I suspect it will be different depending on the game and the options available, one of the reasons signing Amrabat would add a nice extra dimension.

And if Mount is used in a different way in big games, good. Being able to play in different roles is one of the pluses he's supposed to bring and different situations require different line-ups and tactics. It isn't some indictment on the way we play most of the time if we decide it isn't how we want to play every time. City are the best team in Europe and even they set up differently for some games, with players being used in different roles as needed.

But the way we will play most of the time, against teams we're mostly expected to beat, will be as we set up today with Bruno/Mount as our #8s. That's Plan A in the majority of games.

Kovacic? Reece James? Kanté?

They won the Champions League. Clearly not a poor side.

And finished 6th while doing so. Because their players were generally seen to have performed below expectation.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mason-mount.450060/page-25

Feel free to read through the general opinion, most people didn't see it and just think he's average. The England performances, the general floating through games was noticed.

Classic case of DDG winning our player of the year, in a roundabout way showed how badly we were doing, Mount was a bit similar for Chelsea.
You’ve sort of shown your feelings enough to be ignored. You downplayed him winning player of the year in a poor team that won the CL. Cheers for your input, but nah.

You don't think a midfielder can improve his abilities on the ball? You think Carrick for Tottenham and United were the same?

Mount is never going to be a Modric or Kroos on the ball, but he can undoubtedly improve. Not that I think he's bad, anyway. He pulls off some cute touches and passes, but fairly inconsistent with it during pre-season. I suspect it could be to lack of game rhythm, though. I think we will see a better version of him in the PL.
Sure they can and I'll readily admit that certain qualities only get refined with age and experience like composure or how to manage the tempo and set the rythem of the game and yet with all that said i don't think it's outrageous at all to suggest he's not going to improve much with a ball at his feet at this age and at this time, he may but I doubt he's going to.

Although as you said yourself it might be wiser for me to wait and see how he performs in the high stakes pl games, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.