View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need more time to watch how he will play and what he will be like. From his limited time with us, it seems to me that he is a bit of an upgraded DVB. And I don't think that kind of player is very useful for the way we play. I said this because I thought that we needed to have a deep playmaker midfielder this summer. If he is the type of player I think he is, then our midfield balance will keep having issues.

Its a concern that Chelsea were happy for him to leave, that in itself should set alarm bells ringing, but for now, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

They didn't want him to leave though. Pocchetino was apparently quite annoyed they couldn't keep him. He's very much the kind of player Poch wants.

Also, both Arsenal and Liverpool wanted to sign him. As did Bayern. There aren't any alarm bells.

I'm still not sold on him. Like with Chelsea and England, he's out there on the pitch but it's hard to pinpoint what exactly he is contributing. He's nowhere near as incisive as Eriksen nor does he press as well as Fred.

Only saw the 2nd half but thought he looked decent and helped a lot with our pressing, we’ve needed someone with energy in there and I think as the season progresses he’ll become a key player for us.

Plus being able to rest and rotate Eriksen is also going to be a huge benefit.

His off the ball work is extraordinary but his on ball ability needs a but of work. I think EtH sees Mount as his little project, I'm sure after a few months he'll look much better in his on ball play.

My biggest worry is the how high up he is and how open it causes us to be. We need to tweak that tactically because it's a potential timebomb if Casemiro and AWB/Dalot continue to give the ball away cheaply.

Rubbish.

Most of us thought he was an anonymous player before we were linked to him, now he's at our club we have to hear blah blah about pressing and movement.

Playing midfield 8 is possibly one of the toughest positions to adapt to. A player needs to learn the patterns of play from the defense and weave into the attack. It's not exactly like a CB or cf. I'm certain it'll take mount up to at least December to become totally familiar with patterns of play and he will be an absolute brilliant player for us.

We as a team are nearly there in terms of personnel but still some way to go in terms of familiarity among players and knowing how to play. Mount will get there no doubt and even for ETH it is a work in progress to coach our style and match it with his best attributes.

It'll take time lads, be patient with all the new players.

How the heck did he miss that chance? :lol: Was it slightly behind him and he couldn’t adjust his feet in time?

Debut goal jitters + it happens to everyone. Unless it becomes a regular thing ala Weghorst, there’s nothing to panic about yet.

Its a concern that Chelsea were happy for him to leave, that in itself should set alarm bells ringing, but for now, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.
Chelsea offered him 200k a week to get him to leave. So insulting!

Debut goal jitters + it happens to everyone. Unless it becomes a regular thing ala Weghorst, there’s nothing to panic about yet.

Nope i’m not panicking as i’m seeing the funny side of it for a pre season game. However the Caf is going to be in rage if he misses this sort of chance in a CL semi final game. But yeah it’s probably match jitters for his first full home game

I thought there was some good things he did today. Off the ball, his workrate and energy levels are excellent. He also made a lot of good runs that created space for others.

Once the midfield is settled, there will be better balance and he will get on the ball more.

How the heck did he miss that chance? :lol: Was it slightly behind him and he couldn’t adjust his feet in time?
Slightly behind him. He directed it goalwards but it hit his own foot.

Last edited:
If he didnt position himself so awkwardly afte the shot he could have had a second attempt. To his mind it was probably 100% goal.

He's literally missed a sitter in every game this pre season... At least he's getting the chances but think he might be a slow burn

Same player we see for England. Underwhelming.

The good thing is though, Ten Hag obviously feels like the rest of the team is perfect enough for him to prioritise £50m on a cherry piece like him (one we could've got for free next summer). We should be expecting a title challenge in turn from him.

His off the ball work is extraordinary but his on ball ability needs a but of work. I think EtH sees Mount as his little project, I'm sure after a few months he'll look much better in his on ball play.

My biggest worry is the how high up he is and how open it causes us to be. We need to tweak that tactically because it's a potential timebomb if Casemiro and AWB/Dalot continue to give the ball away cheaply.
He's 24 doubt there's much room for improvements there.

He's literally missed a sitter in every game this pre season... At least he's getting the chances but think he might be a slow burn

That's a legit good sign.

Especially as if we're going to play him as advanced as we seem to be planning then he really should contribute his own fair share of output.

He's 24 doubt there's much room for improvements there.

You don't think a midfielder can improve his abilities on the ball? You think Carrick for Tottenham and United were the same?

Mount is never going to be a Modric or Kroos on the ball, but he can undoubtedly improve. Not that I think he's bad, anyway. He pulls off some cute touches and passes, but fairly inconsistent with it during pre-season. I suspect it could be to lack of game rhythm, though. I think we will see a better version of him in the PL.

Bang average footballer; worryingly limited in what he contributes. Pale Fred.

heard rumours Ten Hag believed Rice was a legitimate option until the bidding started, and Mount seems like the booby prize.

Same player we see for England. Underwhelming.

The good thing is though, Ten Hag obviously feels like the rest of the team is perfect enough for him to prioritise £50m on a cherry piece like him (one we could've got for free next summer). We should be expecting a title challenge in turn from him.
I wasn't the biggest fan of us pushing hard for Mount this summer but are we really saying the money spent on him is what's holding us back from a title challenge? I'm interested to know which player we could've signed for equivalent money to take us there.

I'm not sure why we signed him and that's not just based on today. He's not the type of midfielder I would've bought - certainly not when you've got £60m to spare.

He's had more than enough time to prove himself, think it's best we move on
Lololol the season hasn‘t begun yet.

He has looked underwhelming but not bad in any sense.

Let‘s give him time, it is clear he is class, just needs to get used to his role in the team.

The comments on Mount and his performances over the past while show why we need Amrabat who will improve our midfield massively. Amrabat doesn’t get the respect he deserves simply because he is Moroccan; call it football snobbery if you want. If he was English and on a long contract he’d be worth more than Rice.

Bang average footballer; worryingly limited in what he contributes. Pale Fred.

heard rumours Ten Hag believed Rice was a legitimate option until the bidding started, and Mount seems like the booby prize.
Your rumour literally stated Mount is a ‘booby’ prize…right. Sounds legit.

Today there was very few hoof balls or clearances from the back...which the midfield can take credit for as well as the defence. There was plenty of triangles between Licha/Shaw/Mount which bodes well for the season.

Again playing no.8 is a tricky position as Mount is just a cog in the team...but he is doing ok. Lets see how he does next week against Wolves.

Number 2 seems deliberate at this stage. It seems ETH is not too interested in him in the build up so maybe if we're expecting lots of contributions in those phases then we are going to be disapointed.

Whether that will prove to be a working formula, we'll have to see. I was slightly dubious of it myself but he's obviously got a lot of faith that Martinez, Shaw and Casimero can handle the buildup.
Fully agreed. I guess my concern is this team looks poor in possession. When I watch City/Arsenal (teams using similar system), they work the ball left to right, and occasionally very direct passing. Also, each formation is cohesive. When I watch United, it seems like the only way to the goal is in directly in straight line. This isn't particularly effective and very dangerous. Anyway, early days. Let's give it a few games but I'm quite pessimistic at the moment. Pretty sure this is how we're going to approach Wolves game.

If he scores that tap in, it gives us all a different view on his performance.
Fine margins.
I expect him to score that 9 times out of 10.

If we get Amrabat Mount will probably end up a right winger

They're being harsh on Mount because he's been Southgate favourite. They don't value/understand what Mounts brings tactically. Its no surprise all his managers love him. He scores/assist yet works like a water carrier. He's no Xavi but that's not his job very funny people think they understand the tactical side of the game more than ETH. Many people want a deep lying playmaker next to Case not realizing that will limit the number of players committing forward. Commiting five players forward is quite normal now going back to Conte 3-4-3 which often became a 3-2-5 with the wing backs pushing forward. Klopp 4-3-3 becomes a 2-3-5 with the full backs pushing forward. Last season pep set up with a 3-2-5 with the advanced 8s pushing forward and Stones in midfield. And we saw something similar with Martinez today moving to midfield and the 8s pushing forward.

I think they'll start to appreciate Mount when he gets a few G/A added to the pressing and link up game he brings.

90% of his assists at Chelsea were from corners.

He won't get as many goals either, because at Chelsea he was part of the front 3 with Werner and Havert when they played 5 at the back. With our 3 in midfield and Bruno as the AM, he'll be pushed further back.

Status
Not open for further replies.