View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely think we might have become worse than RAWK, every player thread is like the Ronaldo v Messi thread these days. We have not played a single competitive game yet.

It's a figure of speech. No player ever does nothing, but he is the creativity in our team. When he creates one chance during a game, I'll call that nothing, in terms of what I expect from him.

And what do you mean? Mount presses more efficiently than Bruno, whilst also being more physical. I think Bruno runs more, though.
Ah, do you have stats on what you claimed to be? I am not talking about friendly games, of course. It is a bit pointless.

Ah, you have stats of what you claimed to be? I am not talking about friendly games of course. It is a bit of pointless.

Not really, it was just based on these friendlies. My point wasn't to see who is best defensively, though. It is just funny to see posters dismissing Mount's work rate but praising Bruno for the exact same. It's a bit weird.

Not really, it was just based on these friendlies. My point wasn't to see who is best defensively, though. It is just funny to see posters not caring about Mount's work rate but praising Bruno for the exact same. It's a bit weird.
Well, so to counter that, you just randomly brought up Bruno here and made up stats?

I love how when Bruno does nothing in a game, he is excused with "but he runs around, presses so much and works hard defensively" but when Mount does it, it doesn't count for shit :lol:

In fairness, the running around and pressing is seen to be the minimum level of Bruno’s contribution, whereas from the language used over the past two months, that is being pushed more as the highlight of his contribution to a team. Of course, often in other language like ‘great in defensive transitions, tactically flexible’ etc. But Bruno’s workrate is often mentioned from the perspective of ‘even when he doesn’t play well’, which I don’t think is the case with Mount.

I love how when Bruno does nothing in a game, he is excused with "but he runs around, presses so much and works hard defensively" but when Mount does it, it doesn't count for shit :lol:
When Mount has games where he passes like Bruno then he’ll get the same excuses.

Bruno hardly does "nothing" in a game, good or bad. And you will have a point when the Mount's stats of defensive ability match Bruno's in general. It is not like people talked about it randomly out of their ass.
Ah, do you have stats on what you claimed to be? I am not talking about friendly games, of course. It is a bit pointless.

F0W2tEkaIAAkD3-

Mount is statistically one of the best pressing players in the league and, once Fred leaves, will be the best in our squad in that regard, just as he was at Chelsea. This from The Analyst in reference to his two POTY seasons there:

He was a key cog in the aggressive high press that Chelsea played (10.2 PPDA, the second lowest in the Premier League), ranking 21st in the league for possession regains in the attacking third (40), with 10 more than any other Chelsea player.

It's probably the single biggest quality he'll bring to the side. Which given ETH's recent comments about wanting us to be the best transition side in the world, helps explain why we wanted him.

Whenever I saw him for England or Chelsea, he looked very average. But, I won't give up on him yet. He is still 24 and with some work can improve.
Well thank the maker that new signings are not given up on in pre-season,...........way to go champ

F0W2tEkaIAAkD3-

Mount is statistically one of the best pressing players in the league and, once Fred leaves, will be the best in our squad in that regard, just as he was at Chelsea. This from The Analyst in reference to his two POTY seasons there:

It's probably the single biggest quality he'll bring to the side. Which given ETH's recent comments about wanting us to be the best transition side in the world, helps explain why we wanted him.
That is good to know. I want him to be as good as Bruno, at least in some of those defensive areas, because it seems like we will be playing him and Bruno together in advance positions, whereas everyone thinks we need another deep-sitting player next to Cas to help out CM.

Maybe says more about Chelsea and the rest of their squad than it does about Mason?

The stats suggest not. By which I mean the pressing stats I posted above (in which he was not only their best player in that regard in those seasons but also one of the best in the league last season) and also:

Mount ranked fifth in the Premier League over those two seasons for chances created (145), behind only Kevin De Bruyne, Bruno Fernandes, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Son Heung-min. He was eighth for total assists (15) but ranked fourth for expected assists (13.8), suggesting that others’ totals were bloated by good finishing in a way that Mount’s wasn’t. Harry Kane, for example, got 23 assists in that period from just 9.2 xA, and Andy Robertson got 17 assists from 11.4 xA.

I Have a feeling Mount is being played to practice his weaker position but we will swap him to number 10 & Bruno to number 8.

I Have a feeling Mount is being played to practice his weaker position but we will swap him to number 10 & Bruno to number 8.
I’m not sure about this approach, Bruno is somewhat restricted by playing deeper or on the right. Is Mason going to be THAT much better in the 10 that it warrants moving Bruno back? I don’t know…

I also have a feeling that ETH might do that. I'm not sure if I would like that to fix our CM issue, even though Bruno does have long-range passing, and I am assuming Mount will regain his good form from his best Chelsea days. But the defensive part of the CM will be very concerning against any decent team. If ETH really wants to do it, he might be banking on Licha stepping into the DM position more along with Cas. I hope that works, though.

With all the issues people talk about with him, I thought giving him the No. 7 shirt was weird as hell anyway.

With all the issues people talk about with him, I thought giving him the No. 7 shirt was weird as hell anyway.
Too much importance placed on this number by fans. Best, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo were special players but it was all them and never the shirt. Conversely Valencia, Owen, Cavani to name a few haven’t been amazing in the shirt. It’s just a number.

Too much importance placed on this number by fans. Best, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo were special players but it was all them and never the shirt. Conversely Valencia, Owen, Cavani to name a few haven’t been amazing in the shirt. It’s just a number.
It's just weird to see a CM player get No. 7. Owen and Cavani should not have gotten it, but Valencia was not in that group. He was a good player and servant for us. And it is really a kind of cultural stuff and motivation for some (young) players as well, so it is good to keep it up. Some cultural stuff are very important for football clubs like ours.

Great players don't need shirt numbers to shine obviously but at least Fergie thought it must have gone to the best player in the squad (we at least before he gave it to owen) , im sure we all remember the story of him being reluctant to give it to beckham and preferring Keane instead.

Great players don't need shirt numbers to shine obviously but at least Fergie thought it must have gone to the best player in the squad (we at least before he gave it to owen)
I don’t think so. There are actually more ‘bad’* 7’s than good, Memphis Depay, Angel Di Maria, Michael Owen, Alexis Sanchez, Antonio Valencia, Keith Gillespie etc.

*By bad I mean not special rather than poor.

Pretty poor miss, but some in here should wait until we start playing competitive games before 'writing' him off.

We can all say shirt numbers don’t matter, but Garnacho’s Instagram name is garnacho7.
He wanted to follow in the footsteps of CR7.
Mount surely would have accepted any number.

I’ve actually never heard that?!! :lol:
Apparently becks really wanted it after Cantona left but Fergie thought it would get to his head so wanted to give it to Keane, when all said and done Keane did beckham a favor by refusing it so Fergie basically gave up and gave it to him.
I don’t think so. There are actually more ‘bad’* 7’s than good, Memphis Depay, Angel Di Maria, Michael Owen, Alexis Sanchez, Antonio Valencia, Keith Gillespie etc.

*By bad I mean not special rather than poor.
True although I suppose it has more to do with special players on the caliber of Best, Robson, Cantona being exceedingly rare.

Still if you could use the shirt to motivate players (especially in today's social media infested world) why not, Madrid i think did it recently by rewarding vini the no 7 shirt and im sure other clubs do it too.

Forgot the title but these are most of his contributions for each pre season game so far including Lens.

Thanks for putting up the vid. Shows how good he has actually been, and this with barely a couple run outs in pre season, a new side and new manager, after a massive lay off. He gets into great positions, really good passer, and puts in a shift. Wait till he starts clicking. Guy looks like he's going to be fantastic. Makes his detractors look like dumbfuks as well. I have a hunch not going for Brighton's 100 million pound flavor of the year has riled up some punters. Amazing how they seem to have a better grip on things than even Ten Hag.

Thanks for putting up the vid. Shows how good he has actually been, and this with barely a couple run outs in pre season, a new side and new manager, after a massive lay off. He gets into great positions, really good passer, and puts in a shift. Wait till he starts clicking. Guy looks like he's going to be fantastic. Makes his detractors look like dumbfuks as well. I have a hunch not going for Brighton's 100 million pound flavor of the year has riled up some punters. Amazing how they seem to have a better grip on things than even Ten Hag.

I just watched that. Was it supposed to be impressive in some way?

(I am obviously not drawing any conclusions about him, but that seemed like a lot of nothing honestly)

Great work ethic but it's hard to see how our in-possession midfield has improved. I definitely like him as an option but is he really what our first XI was needing? Also think it was daft to give him #7.

Did you actually watch the video? Christ! Thankfully, we’ve seen Mount for a number of years and know he’s a good player, but that video does not make ‘detractors look like dumbfuks’ by any stretch.

Great work ethic but it's hard to see how our in-possession midfield has improved.

It's less that Mount is an improvement on Eriksen in possession and more that Mount + Eriksen are an improvement on Eriksen + Fred in possession from a squad perspective.

In other words the floor of the team is raised in terms of possession and technical ability because you're not getting the same drop off in quality in that regard when one player steps in for the other. Meanwhile Mount is a big improvement on Eriksen off the ball, so the starting eleven improves in that sense.

And given Eriksen only scored 1 league goal last season, I would suspect Mount will also be an improvement in that regard. The season before last Mount had 21 goal involvements (goals + assists), something Eriksen hasn't managed in a league campaign since the 16/17 season. Given the very advanced position ETH has him taking up, it's fair for us to expect more actual productivity from Mount than we got from Eriksen.

It's less that Mount is an improvement on Eriksen in possession and more that Mount + Eriksen are an improvement on Eriksen + Fred in possession from a squad perspective.

In other words the floor of the team is raised in terms of possession and technical ability because you're not getting the same drop off in quality in that regard when one player steps in for the other. Meanwhile Mount is a big improvement on Eriksen off the ball, so the starting eleven improves in that sense.

And given Eriksen only scored 1 league goal last season, I would suspect Mount will also be an improvement in that regard. The season before last Mount had 21 goal involvements (goals + assists), something Eriksen hasn't managed in a league campaign since the 16/17 season. Given the very advanced position ETH has him taking up, it's fair for us to expect more actual productivity from Mount than we got from Eriksen.

I don't dispute that our floor has been raised. I just wonder if he's the best suited for our first XI midfield. It is somewhat mitigated through Martinez and Onana bringing the ball through, but I would have liked to have seen a midfielder in there who can take the ball and carry it through the press. Currently, none of them can do that.

Anyhow, as an option, as a floor raiser, I'm fine with it. I still think our midfield is lacking though.

I don't dispute that our floor has been raised. I just wonder if he's the best suited for our first XI midfield. It is somewhat mitigated through Martinez and Onana bringing the ball through, but I would have liked to have seen a midfielder in there who can take the ball and carry it through the press. Currently, none of them can do that.

Anyhow, as an option, as a floor raiser, I'm fine with it. I still think our midfield is lacking though.

I don't particularly disagree.

Though as I saw @Brwned note to someone else in a different thread, I'm sure I thought our midfield was lacking even as we were winning PLs/CLs in the 00's under SAF. And I definitely thought Liverpool's midfield was lacking when they were winning the PL and reaching two CL finals more recently under Klopp. Plenty of scope to do well even if the team doesn't match up to the ideal we have in mind.

Forgot the title but these are most of his contributions for each pre season game so far including Lens.

Aside from the fact the pounding music set to clips of him missing chances and fouling people being unintentionally hilarious, it does actually give a very good idea of how often he plays the ball forwards, and quickly, which is exactly what this team needs and does in fact make me feel a lot better about him.

In the so called tougher games, we all cried out for Fred to go in with Bruno and Casemiro, as he gave us energy. Mount will give the same amount of energy, plus better ball retention and hopefully a better goal return, albeit missing a sitter against Lens.

As for possession, although he's not a dictator like Eriksen, you'd imagine his ability to run at a high intensity for a large period of time, will allow us to press teams for a lot longer.

A lot of times last season, we either dropped back a bit or ten Hag would take Eriksen off for Fred to give us that much needed energy late on in games. That won't really happen with Mount.

Did you actually watch the video? Christ! Thankfully, we’ve seen Mount for a number of years and know he’s a good player, but that video does not make ‘detractors look like dumbfuks’ by any stretch.

Also everyone’s favorite term for other transfer targets seems to be “flavor of the month”. All it does is expose they’ve never actually watched the player in question.

Aside from the fact the pounding music set to clips of him missing chances and fouling people being unintentionally hilarious, it does actually give a very good idea of how often he plays the ball forwards, and quickly, which is exactly what this team needs and does in fact make me feel a lot better about him.

Which coincides with ten Hag's ideas, in that he wants United to be ''the best transition team in the world''. Bruno also does this fantastically well.

Status
Not open for further replies.