Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much the same squad and even weaker with useless players still not sold. Not sure why we can’t expect basic competitiveness in the market…

We just don’t care about midfielders. Its in the club’s DNA.

It was almost as if the Veron transfer not working out made them never want to buy a prime world-class (as in WC at the point we bought them) CM ever again. Pogba was the rare exception and that was massively due to him having already been at United previously.

This will happen late in the window, the compromise is a loan with £10 million upfront fee then an obligation to buy of £40 million spread over 3-4 years as United want Ugarte and PSG want to move him on.

How it that a compromise if we end up paying the amount they want anyway?(50M)

It would be a compromise if we pay a loan fee of 5-7M, and then buy him for 35M pounds(40m euros).

I really don't mind the description of him, the biggest concern is for me; "his magnetism to the ball means he can get pulled out of position when defending closer to his own goal.".

Surely with the way EtH plays, this is just going to cause a rinse and repeat of last season.
Its why he needs to play in a double pivot alongside someone else as the analysis has suggested. Which is why I think he could work very well with Casemiro. Casemiro missed Fred, wasn't the same with our him in the team and I think Ugarte will bring the energy we have missed in midfield since Fred left.

How it that a compromise if we end up paying the amount they want anyway?(50M)

It would be a compromise if we pay a loan fee of 5-7M, and then buy him for 35M pounds(40m euros).

It's a compromise in the structure of the payments, not the amount. Still would constitute a compromise though.

Hopefully a deal can be worked out with Sancho going the other way. Would be great for all parties involved

I have watched footage of the Newcastle and Citeh games and this guy looks bang average.
He has very little ability on the ball and just runs around lunging into challenges.
PSG must have rocks for brains if they think he is worth 50 Mil.

I have watched footage of the Newcastle and Citeh games and this guy looks bang average.
He has very little ability on the ball and just runs around lunging into challenges.
Sample base of two games......

And yet, United have identified him as their priority MF signing, which does really worry me, if he isn't actually a high quality player, how come our new recruitment Dream Team can't come up with better options?
INEOS really need to pull something special out of the fire I think.

Sample base of two games......
Against Premier League opposition.
I have already stated I watched a couple of the Copa games and he didn't impress me.
He was dropped by PSG so that tells me something.
I really don't think it is worth my while watching his Sporting games as that tells me nothing.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we missed out on Ugarte.

The names that have been throw around as alternatives aren't very exciting but we need to make a point of not over paying anymore.

My only fear is PSG will now pull out of any potential Sancho talks.

Their thinking could be, you take a player we don't need and we'll take Sancho off your hands. I cant see anyone else bidding for him.

And yet, United have identified him as their priority MF signing, which does really worry me, if he isn't actually a high quality player, how come our new recruitment Dream Team can't come up with better options?
The priority should be getting Casemiro out but our hands are tied with that one.

Against Premier League opposition.
I have already stated I watched a couple of the Copa games and he didn't impress me.
He was dropped by PSG so that tells me something.
I really don't think it is worth my while watching his Sporting games as that tells me nothing.
Basically your judging him for the one season at PSG. On that basis you might as well have judged Thierry Henry for his one flop season at Juventus before Arsenal bought him and said the same.

@Raees's video analysis, for those who haven't seen it

Transfermrkt co.uk on why they think he is ideal for utd
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/-qu...ro-replacement-at-man-united/view/news/439861

Ugarte has the ideal characteristics to be a major success at United as their defensive midfielder. He possesses the ability to win back possession, he’s tenacious in tackles and comfortable on both feet despite not being the most progressive passer. Ugarte’s presence would provide more freedom to Kobbie Mainoo and Bruno Fernandes and that would represent a well-balanced midfield trio for Ten Hag.

Here's an alternative take that he isn't the right player for Utd from whoscored.

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/...te-and-is-he-the-right-midfielder-for-Man-Utd

While the midfielder ticks the boxes for a player to win and recycle possession effectively, there are concerns over a possible move for the player. Ugarte averaged more tackles per 90 (4.6) than any other player in Ligue 1 last season. Considering PSG had the highest possession average by far (65.7%) in France's top tier, he quickly went in pursuit of the ball in order for PSG to regain control.

Yet even so, opponents also found it relatively easy to get the better of Ugarte in the middle of the park. Indeed, he was dribbled past 2.1 times per 90, that ranking sixth in Ligue 1, returning a tackle success rate of 68.1% in the process. For a United side as open as they were in the Premier League, Ugarte would be tasked with essentially being a one-man wrecking ball in a key area of the pitch.

For a PSG outfit that did see so much of the ball yet for Ugarte to be dribbled past so frequently, the perceived wrecklessness could prove disastrous for Ten Hag's side. The Dutchman needs a player to prevent teams from chancing their luck so regularly, not one who might struggle with the demands of Premier League football.

Last edited:
Basically your judging him for the one season at PSG. On that basis you might as well have judged Thierry Henry for his one flop season at Juventus before Arsenal bought him and said the same.
What a ridiculous comparison :lol:

We knew the price for a month. It’s fine to walk away to make a statement but why did it take half of the transfer window? Do we have any alternatives? Because we only hear about Amrabat. Zubimendi wont leave Sociedad. So far we replaced Varane with an 18 who’s injured already and Martial with Zirkzee. It was the midfield that caused us problems and there’s no change there except no Amrabat and Casemiro and Eriksen getting older and slower.

Well Jacobs mentioned Andre and Gomes, however didn't see either referenced in Ornstein article so doubt they are serious targets

They do, but they probably won’t. And they’ve already informed us they won’t, because they’ve confirmed it will take 2-3 full seasons to get where we want to be - which is an honest perspective (maybe even generous) .

We can’t get players unless we ship players.we can’t ship players cause they’re either (1) overpaid or (2) unsalable at a fair price because other clubs know we’re desperate.

That screws us, plain and simple. We’ll be paying for the fees of Sancho, Antony, and Casemiro for 3 more seasons, plus all the other massive wages on our books. If we somehow manage to fight for fourth during that time period - I’d personally say we can count our blessings.

Hoping new owners to pull off a miracle is obviously what we all want but expecting a miracle is farfetched in our circumstances

They do, but they probably won’t. And they’ve already informed us they won’t, because they’ve confirmed it will take 2-3 full seasons to get where we want to be - which is an honest perspective (maybe even generous) .

We can’t get players unless we ship players.we can’t ship players cause they’re either (1) overpaid or (2) unsalable at a fair price because other clubs know we’re desperate.

That screws us, plain and simple. We’ll be paying for the fees of Sancho, Antony, and Casemiro for 3 more seasons, plus all the other massive wages on our books. If we somehow manage to fight for fourth during that time period - I’d personally say we can count our blessings.

Hoping new owners to pull off a miracle is obviously what we all want but expecting a miracle is farfetched in our circumstances
As I mentioned in the McTominay thread, but this is what United's problem in general.
Scott McTominay is worth whatever any other club willing to pay him. We should really take the bullet and sell him to the highest bidder, even if that's "only" 20m.
United current stature and performances are not really enhancing the price of any players we want to sell. Because United played putrid football below what's expected of them, the players value also reflect this. Arsenal and City are able to sell their squad players much higher is because they played good winning football. If Arsenal wanted to sell ESR for example, and interested clubs are seeing that well, he have to compete with Odegard/Saka/Martinelli, they'd think, he probably a good player but he can't get into the team when the players he compete with better players and playing better football. Therefore they can sell him for higher price.
But at United, when they wanted to sell McTominay, interested clubs will think, well, the players he compete with (Amrabat, Casemiro) aren't that good and they played horrible football. He probably an okay player but doubt are raised because he can't dislodged those who played bad and when he played he isn't playing that well.

We’re all at least somewhat familiar with our structural financial barriers, but what concerns me even more is the tragic transfer activity under ETH. Even if we were free to do as we wish with funds, I worry we would piss those funds away as we have the last two seasons.

As I mentioned in the McTominay thread, but this is what United's problem in general.

You might be right but tbh I don’t think that’s actually a huge issue here. For example, we would have sold McT last summer but still couldn’t get a good offer for him - and Casemiro had just had a fantastic season. McT, AWB, and others are known quantities. And teams like Chelsea are able to shift non-starters for bigger money than us

It’s mostly the salary issue, their ages (all over 25), and the fact that we have no leverage because we are desperate to sell. As we’ve seen with the prices we’ve been paying, desperation is the worst negotiating position

And what clubs could that be, at that price? Not Bayern with Palhinha, not Real, Barca could make great use of him but are skint, Italian clubs have no money, Chelsea led by that idiot surely not as they already have too many first choice midfielders for a balanced side. Leaving Arsenal and Liverpool really. Both of whom could really benefit from having him.

And what clubs could that be, at that price? Not Bayern with Palhinha, not Real, Barca could make great use of him but are skint, Italian clubs have no money, Chelsea led by that idiot surely not as they already have too many first choice midfielders for a balanced side. Leaving Arsenal and Liverpool really. Both of whom could really benefit from having him.
There's none. They are posturing. Liverpool are going for Zubimendi and Arsenal already have a way better player in Rice and they are not going to spend £50m on someone who is essentially going to be an backup. Aren't they looking at someone with a different profile anyways?

There's none. They are posturing. Liverpool are going for Zubimendi and Arsenal already have a way better player in Rice and they are not going to spend £50m on someone who is essentially going to be an backup. Aren't they looking at someone with a different profile anyways?

Yeah, but Arteta has made Rice more of a box to box player, so Ugarte behind Odegaard and Rice is quite a tasty option. They'd be defensively extremely solid, already pretty good. While Liverpool would benefit quite a lot from having a proper defensive midfielder (they still require quite a bit of work with that squad, mind).

Not sure it's posturing. Could be. Just a shame that all the Sancho talk died down. Would have loved to see him as a significant part of the deal. Or that loan with an option.

Yeah, but Arteta has made Rice more of a box to box player, so Ugarte behind Odegaard and Rice is quite a tasty option. They'd be defensively extremely solid, already pretty good. While Liverpool would benefit quite a lot from having a proper defensive midfielder (they still require quite a bit of work with that squad, mind).

Not sure it's posturing. Could be. Just a shame that all the Sancho talk died down. Would have loved to see him as a significant part of the deal. Or that loan with an option.
Weren't Arsenal interested in Merino? Rice still plays as the deepest midfielder of the 3 but gets forward a lot a bit like Rodri. Kind of going off track anyways. There's no other club at the table at that price, if they were we would have heard about them already.

Weren't Arsenal interested in Merino? Rice still plays as the deepest midfielder of the 3 but gets forward a lot a bit like Rodri. Kind of going off track anyways. There's no other club at the table at that price, if they were we would have heard about them already.

I suspect you're right.

I think the sticking point is still the price. I'm sure other teams are interested, or 'at the table', but they're probably also hoping PSG drop their asking price. PSG are hoping someone has a bad start to the season and panics, or maybe a Saudi club will come in and offer Ugarte so much money he'll go there.

We've reached that point if the transfer window where a lot of clubs are playing chicken with each other, waiting to see who'll blink first.

I think the sticking point is still the price. I'm sure other teams are interested, or 'at the table', but they're probably also hoping PSG drop their asking price. PSG are hoping someone has a bad start to the season and panics, or maybe a Saudi club will come in and offer Ugarte so much money he'll go there.

We've reached that point if the transfer window where a lot of clubs are playing chicken with each other, waiting to see who'll blink first.
Yea, they can't expect to get back what they paid for him an year ago. They have to accept a loss if they are looking to move him on so soon. Teams who can afford to pay €60m already have first choice DM's, so at most they would be looking at him as a squad player. And if there were any other club at the table, we would have heard the rumours already. They are posturing.

Felt like he would’ve improved us a lot, even without being my type of midfielder.

Be interesting to see how often he plays for PSG if he stays there given the talent they have in midfield. I don’t think he was worth what he paid for the profile of player he is, and certainly not worth the amount they want this summer.

Despite that, please don’t sign Berge.

Felt like he would’ve improved us a lot, even without being my type of midfielder.

Be interesting to see how often he plays for PSG if he stays there given the talent they have in midfield. I don’t think he was worth what he paid for the profile of player he is, and certainly not worth the amount they want this summer.

Despite that, please don’t sign Berge.

With Neves and a couple of additions in midfield he could be relegated to the infamous PSG's loft. Would be a massive waste for everyone involved.

The "other" clubs who are interested are being very secretive and leaving it a bit late...chop chop.

I don’t think Slot would want Ugarte, though. I think PSG are bullshitting that others are in. I’m certain none are in at 60 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.