Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha...haggling over 3 or 4m is quite humorous when you are talking about 45-50m over all

Thing is I don't think 50 mill for a promising DM is outrageous in a market where Rice was sold for 105million, the issue is with the circumstances, player has supposedly failed to live up to expectations and is surplus to requirements given the managers preference in midfield.

40 mill is reasonable, but of the reports it's likely that that figure is heavily incentivized with add-ons, so maybe the club should explore a loan option with an obligation to buy where there's more notion to pay more upfront.

Digging their heels in over £8m, it’s a bit shit to lose out over that difference but I’m glad we’re sticking to our guns on this. These cnuts basically want us to cover the cost of their Neves signing, they can jog on.
It's weird since they want Sancho. Surely there's a compromise somewhere in there for us to get Ugarte and them take Sancho.

It's weird since they want Sancho. Surely there's a compromise somewhere in there for us to get Ugarte and them take Sancho.

I think the issue is that Sancho is definitely way lower their priority list. It's a deal they might not pursue if they get Doue. If so discussions can't be fully based on the hypothesis of crossing their contracts.

Digging their heels in over £8m, it’s a bit shit to lose out over that difference but I’m glad we’re sticking to our guns on this. These cnuts basically want us to cover the cost of their Neves signing, they can jog on.

Yeah really in a position to act big aren't we, could understand it if we had squad depth

So do we stick firm to a higher price given their attitude over Ugarte?
It depends on what they offer, we could cut off our nose to spite our face over their treatment of our interest in Ugarte, but then we are left with Sancho on our books, seems like a lose-lose situation just to prove a point, if the deal is right for Sancho do it without reservation, get shot and then use the money to go after other targets who can help us.... would not budge on Ugarte though, separate deals conflating the 2 only hurts us

I know player swaps rarely happen but surely Sancho plus cash would be a decent deal for PSG in exchange for Ugarte?

In the case of Ugarte he's so clearly overpriced and wants to leave - I think we as fans just have to suck it up and wait to the window's end, when both the player and the club will feel under pressure to take what they can get. For me, similar to the De Ligt one. If we end up missing out, so be it, but at some stage we have to stand firm with these ridiculous prices and not be mugs.

On Sancho, personally could don't care. If he stays let's hope it's a good season, if he leaves I don't want us paying a penny of his wages if it's at PSG. I see no upside in paying his wages on another loan while also not having him to play for us.

I know player swaps rarely happen but surely Sancho plus cash would be a decent deal for PSG in exchange for Ugarte?
What would be the PSR implications? I guess this would impact whether this kind of deal is realistic or not.

It's going to happen. We weren't going to spend the early part of the window on him for nothing.
Domino effect needs to happen.

It depends on what they offer, we could cut off our nose to spite our face over their treatment of our interest in Ugarte, but then we are left with Sancho on our books, seems like a lose-lose situation just to prove a point, if the deal is right for Sancho do it without reservation, get shot and then use the money to go after other targets who can help us.... would not budge on Ugarte though, separate deals conflating the 2 only hurts us

Yeah I get that. At the same time if they expect to pay a low fee they should also be rejected. Sancho looks happy enough during pre-season and frankly we kind of need him at the moment given how few players have had a pre-season.

I don’t see how PSG could pay less for Sancho than they want for Ugarte.

In the case of Ugarte he's so clearly overpriced and wants to leave - I think we as fans just have to suck it up and wait to the window's end, when both the player and the club will feel under pressure to take what they can get. For me, similar to the De Ligt one. If we end up missing out, so be it, but at some stage we have to stand firm with these ridiculous prices and not be mugs.

On Sancho, personally could don't care. If he stays let's hope it's a good season, if he leaves I don't want us paying a penny of his wages if it's at PSG. I see no upside in paying his wages on another loan while also not having him to play for us.
Agreed, we really need to hold on the price we are willing to pay, players are anyways going under the price that would’ve been paid around 1-2 years back.

This can be an effect of a global market swing, hence paying 51 m for him would be way off the mark, and not in line with our financial situation.

We should be looking at other targets if we are unable to get the price down.

What would be the PSR implications? I guess this would impact whether this kind of deal is realistic or not.

I guess it might help us out to pay a higher fee for Ugarte if PSG do the same for Sancho. That way their amortisation costs are more likely covered.

Given the alternatives he absolutely should be the priority. Especially if there's only £8m between what we bid and what PSG want.

Swap deals are not "real" in a legal sense to my knowledge, it's still 2 discrete and separate transactions. On paper 60m€ would be put in expenses and whatever Sancho value is would be counted as revenue. I don't think it is a detriment in regards to regulations.

If it were to happen I think Sancho can't just be valued whatever is convenient but I see a pretty good case he's worth 35-45m€ (his asset value should be 34m€ on books per FFP, something like that).

Ugarte having a lower potential wage than Sancho to start with mean we're probably shaving at least a handful of millions off the wage bill for the next two years.

Swap deals are not "real" in a legal sense to my knowledge, it's still 2 discrete and separate transactions. On paper 60m€ would be put in expenses and whatever Sancho value is would be counted as revenue. I don't think it is a detriment in regards to regulations.

If it were to happen I think Sancho can't just be valued whatever is convenient but I see a pretty good case he's worth 35-45m€ (his asset value should be 34m€ on books per FFP, something like that).

Ugarte having a lower potential wage than Sancho to start with mean we're probably shaving at least a handful of millions off the wage bill for the next two years.
UEFA has come down hard on this, i.e. inflating book values after the Barcelona - Juventus swap of Arthur and Pjanic (I think).

I hope we stop negotiations and never do deals with PSG. £43 m is more than enough.

Surely we can both meet in the middle and get this done for £47m? I know we’re trying to not overpay but I’d hate for an extra few million to be the difference between us signing Ugarte or Berge.

Doesn't sound like a huge gap to strike a deal. This will be done over the weekend I feel.

We still need another but will take selling McTominay for that to happen. Thrown in the towel on Casemiro and Eriksen leaving this summer.

I'm all for us reaching a compromise so we can secure our primary midfield target. However, it was - and remains - important that Ineos start the difficult work this summer of reshaping the perception of Manchester United as a buying club. We have been saddled with the consequences of Woody's "watch this space" bollocks for over a decade now. Exacerbated by us routinely overpaying enormously for talent. United came to be viewed as a soft touch, and predictable negotiators. Clubs knew to wait us out on the price, and eventually we would panic and overpay.

The first step was going into this window, and every negotiation, with the mindset that if the price was beyond what we thought the player was worth, we would walk away. Not pretend to walk away, but actually walk away and pursue other targets. As part of this process it means that Ineos would have to accept upsetting fans, in an important summer, by not securing the players we wanted. But in the bigger view, it is entirely necessary in order to reset the narrative regarding our buying power and weakness in negotiations. It's the elimination of the "United tax".

Like most here, I am quite desperate for us to bring in a new midfielder, as the thought of going into the season with one of Casemiro, Eriksen, or McTominay starting, sends chills down my spine; but if it means overpaying for someone and keeping us in this overpay zone, then foregoing a signing is exactly what I hope we are prepared to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.