Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knew the price for a month. It’s fine to walk away to make a statement but why did it take half of the transfer window? Do we have any alternatives? Because we only hear about Amrabat. Zubimendi wont leave Sociedad. So far we replaced Varane with an 18 who’s injured already and Martial with Zirkzee. It was the midfield that caused us problems and there’s no change there except no Amrabat and Casemiro and Eriksen getting older and slower.

As much as I would have liked him here, I think it’s far more important that we have our valuations and stick to them. We need to undo the damage of the previous years where we shell out outrageous fees on everyone.
Agreed.

It will take time but at least clubs will be forced to negotiate if they are desperate to sell and there are no other buyers, because they know that now United will not simply pay what they demand

I don’t mind the tactic but it’s been slow in coming, which is surprising. It really does feel like we’ve just wasted two weeks while being on tour and everything kind of got put on hold.

I was expecting much more aggressive strategy to recruitment from this new team, with 5-6 signings already in. It’s very possible to do without breaking the bank.

Yeah I will admit it does feel like a couple of wasted weeks, however gut feeling is nothing would happen on tour and sadly was proven right

What's worrying is the players we're apparently targeting all have different profiles. Rabiot, Ugarte, Fofana and Zubimendi.

Do they club know what type of midfielder we need? Doesn't look that way.

Do the clubs target same profile of players?

City is considered as a team that plans well, they missed out on Sanchez and then targetted Mahrez. Completely 2 different profiles.
They were linked with Koulibaly, Kounde before signing Dias.

Arsenal were also linked with Zubimendi and Mikel Merino, i don't remember clubs linked with multiple players with same profile. Might have happened but rare case i guess

Sad that this is not going through but happy that the club is not just caving in. Surely PSG has to get rid, maybe a negotiation tactic?

I just hope the clubs alternatives are not the ones discussed in the media cuz they all sound far from ideal.

If we don't buy anyone then promote one of the young players to XI backup. Who knows if one starts to perform in front of our eyes?

If we don't buy anyone then promote one of the young players to XI backup. Who knows if one starts to perform in front of our eyes?
When SAF brought in young players like Beckham, Scholes and Neville's we got few settled players like Giggs, Keane, Irwin who can support the new lads.

I will be the most happiest if one of our own academy product comes in like another Mainoo this year but the problem is its not that easy and people support this idea will be frustrated just after losing few games into the season questioning why we didn't address our midfield and sign some quality players.

I have a feeling we still need to bring in 1 or 2 top quality midfielders before looking at bed in youngster's from academy. I think striking that balance is the key.

Looks like that's going to be Colleyer this season, but we don't even have a starter CDM.

If we go into the season with Casemiro as our starting CDM we might as well give up any hope for success.

We knew the price for a month. It’s fine to walk away to make a statement but why did it take half of the transfer window? Do we have any alternatives? Because we only hear about Amrabat. Zubimendi wont leave Sociedad. So far we replaced Varane with an 18 who’s injured already and Martial with Zirkzee. It was the midfield that caused us problems and there’s no change there except no Amrabat and Casemiro and Eriksen getting older and slower.
Well one would guess they’ve been trying to negotiate a smaller fee and trying to sell a couple players. Which takes time and now they’ve got to move on before running out of said time.

It’s much easier to buy than it is to sell players that seemingly no one wants & allegedly we have to sell before we can buy because of years of mismanagement

Can't see them spending that sort of money on him.
PSG are not quoting an obscene price for him though. Deal can be done at £45m - £50m which is less than half of what Chelsea paid for Caicedo and less than they spent on Lavia. He's perfectly affordable.

PSG are not quoting an obscene price for him though. Deal can be done at £45m - £50m which is less than half of what Chelsea paid for Caicedo and less than they spent on Lavia. He's perfectly affordable.

I thought they wanted closer to 60? Maybe I'm confusing euros for pounds.

He's considered surplus to requirements for PSG and they want him off their books, not to mention they spent £50m for Neves, it's ridiculous they're asking a similar amount for Ugarte.

hopefully their interest in Sancho can do something for this deal. Both are good players who are not really wanted at their clubs.

I still believe that, without a proper CDM instead of Casemiro, we will struggle this coming season. Also we completely lack quality depth in midfield. Either slow players (Eriksen), players of low quality (Hannibal) or players with the wrong profile (SmT).

I'm happy that we are not willing to shell out 50M for Ugarte, because that would essentially mean funding their Neves transfer, and it would have made more sense to go for Neves himself.

However, there are 3 worse scenarios than overpaying for Ugarte :

- We dont buy anyone at all
- We buy Amrabat/Rabiot and call it a day
- We dont really have any replacements of any sort of quality lined up

If the above 3 are true, then INEOS fecked up big time, and didnt really handle it any better than Murtough and co. But I'm willing to keep faith, and see what ends up happening. Hopefully we get a proper DM in.

Seems Liverpool is looking for a no 6 outside of Premier League according to the athletic, would be logical if that was Ugarte and why PSG is firm on his valuation

Seems Liverpool is looking for a no 6 outside of Premier League according to the athletic, would be logical if that was Ugarte and why PSG is firm on his valuation
I don't think they'll pay €60m for Ugarte either.

Hopefully their Interest in Sancho will result in this deal getting over the line.

Caceido was an overspend as was Lavia. Ugarte had an underwhelming season at PSG (unlike your named players who shone there). He's also very much in the shop window, also unlike your named players.

He's not remotely worth 60m eur.

On one hand, good we're sticking to valuations. On the other hand, I wanted him and think we need someone like him (or Onana who we passed on). Would've hoped we prioritized a defensive midfielder but doesn't seem to be the case, but also clearly can't sell right now either so hands are tied

He's considered surplus to requirements for PSG and they want him off their books, not to mention they spent £50m for Neves, it's ridiculous they're asking a similar amount for Ugarte.
Does it really matter what they paid for Neves?

Caceido was an overspend as was Lavia. Ugarte had an underwhelming season at PSG (unlike your named players who shone there). He's also very much in the shop window, also unlike your named players.

He's not remotely worth 60m eur.

If he's not worth £50m or close then he's not the player we should even be considering, surely? There are midfielders who are easily worth that.

The way to do it is to incentivize them early on not to renew with the promise of a massive signing on bonus. And then go in, when you've got leverage with the contract running down.

Madrid have mastered this. Barcelona used to do this too until they went mental. Bayern also do this.
It's a cnut way of doing things and one I hope we are never associated with however advantageous it seems on paper.

Also, in practical terms, we are not in a position to do that.

If he's not worth £50m or close then he's not the player we should even be considering, surely? There are midfielders who are easily worth that.
Well we aren't considering him at that price. We never considered him at that valuation. I'd be surprised if many other clubs did too.

Well we aren't considering him at that price. We never considered him at that valuation. I'd be surprised if many other clubs did too.
If we don't rate him highly then I'm a bit confused as to why we are even interested in the first place. We need good midfielders, not just any midfielder that may be available for a bargain price. Buying even more inadequate players is going to just add layers to our existing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.