Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. feck PSG and their unrealistic demands. The Club is putting it on Ugarte and his agent to push this one thru now and pile the pressure on PSG.

This a tactic to get them to lower price?

Hope we don't go from this to Amrabat
Not sure who else we are after, Zubimendi or Fofana?

• Manchester United are switching the focus of their search to sign a new midfielder away from Manuel Ugarte and on to other candidates.
  • United have been exploring a deal for Ugarte but they do not intend to meet Paris Saint-Germain’s asking price, which is around the €60million (£51.4m) fee they paid to sign him from Sporting Lisbon in 2023
  • The clubs are quite far apart in their respective valuations of the Uruguay international and, as things stand, United are looking elsewhere.
  • Only if PSG reduce their request is it possible that the Old Trafford side might return to the table — but so far no progress has been made.
  • The view at United is that they are only willing to pay what they deem to be the correct fee for each transfer target and negotiations will not be allowed to drag on until the end of the market.
  • Consequently, discussions between the Premier League and Ligue 1 counterparts has cooled but PSG are relaxed — with vast interest over a move for the 23-year-old from alternative suitors.
  • Ugarte made 37 appearances across all competitions for Luis Enrique’s side in his debut season at the Ligue 1 club, helping the team to the league trophy alongside the Coupe de France and Trophee des Champions titles.
  • He made just 21 league starts for PSG and while he started five of the club’s six Champions League group stage matches, he was not named in the starting line-up in any of their six knockout matches.
  • Ugarte began his career at Uruguayan club Fenix before joining Famalicao of Portugal in December 2020, and Sporting in the summer of 2021.

I had not realised he played so little, or that he didn't start any of the CL knockout games...
And yet they want a full refund price!
Or in other terms, they want to swap him to Neves for barely any fee.

if €5-7M is a difference between being ready for the season and having Casemiro jogging around flying into late tackles .. yes. How much are 7-9 points in August worth if they make or break top4?

Might not just be a total sum issue but also deal structure.

Plus I think all signs from this summer is that 10m£ do matter quite a bit to the management.

We could have made more ‘smaller’ deals by now to fill out the squad and change it up. Our midfield is a genuine disgrace.

other top sides dont really need this level of surgery for the squad. We should have made a few more signings

The new owners have been clear that it will be two or three years before we're where we want to be challenging for titles. And that's just if things go according to plan.

Nothing about that timescale suggests to me that we needed to have five or six deals done already this summer, in a transfer window characterised by clubs trying to work around financial regulations, major international tournaments and (in our case) key employees just joining the club.

If you came into this summer with these sort of expectations then you were always going to be disappointed.

What's worrying is the players we're apparently targeting all have different profiles. Rabiot, Ugarte, Fofana and Zubimendi.

Do they club know what type of midfielder we need? Doesn't look that way.
The one thing they all have in common is there that they are all-action Jack-of-all-trade types. I think this is the type of midfielder ten Hag wants. Ball retention and metronomic passing isn’t what he wants in midfield. It’s all quick transitional stuff. Disappointing.

What are you not sure about ? That he isn't a DM or that we bought him? Fair enough if it's the 2nd as we technically only loaned him in with a view to buy but are now having second thought on buying him. But it's not like we neglected that position. He is a DM who made his debut for us at LB due to the dire situation we were in that position.
One of the most important positions on a football pitch. One of the main reasons for our shambolic season. And you only have a 32-year old fossil in there with no one to cover for him. And it’s August. Yeah, it’s neglected alright.

Good. feck PSG and their unrealistic demands. The Club is putting it on Ugarte and his agent to push this one thru now and pile the pressure on PSG.

PSG want £51m for him, I cant see us getting a good DM for any less than that especially when players like Rice and Caicedo moved clubs for more than twice that amount.

The new owners have been clear that it will be two or three years before we're where we want to be challenging for titles. And that's just if things go according to plan.

Nothing about that timescale suggests to me that we needed to have five or six deals done already this summer, in a transfer window characterised by clubs trying to work around financial regulations, major international tournaments and (in our case) key employees just joining the club.

If you came into this summer with these sort of expectations then you were always going to be disappointed.
Did they tell us that the squad will be worse than last year where we finished 8th, because that’s definitely the case currently.

Might not just be a total sum issue but also deal structure.

Plus I think all signs from this summer is that 10m£ do matter quite a bit to the management.
Yes, £10m is quite significant when you have to balance the books for PSR.

Also I hate it when people say just throw another 5-10mill onto our bid and get him..
Why not make it 70m then... It's only another 10m euro, hardly anything in sterling

At some point your overpaying, and giving then back the 60m they paid, is overpaying.

One of the most important positions on a football pitch. One of the main reasons for our shambolic season. And you only have a 32-year old fossil in there with no one to cover for him. And it’s August. Yeah, it’s neglected alright.
It is not as we were trying to get Ugarte and are now looking at alternatives but sure keep on moaning.

Is DM the most neglected position in United's transfer history? Has to be up there.
We’ve struggled with central midfielders my entire life watching us play. Michael Carrick was probably our most recent properly good central midfielder whose main job is to pass the ball around. Before him it’s basically only Scholes and Keane.

Did they tell us that the squad will be worse than last year where we finished 8th, because that’s definitely the case currently.

I didn't realise the end of the transfer window had been moved to August 5th.

PSG want £51m for him, I cant see us getting a good DM for any less than that especially when players like Rice and Caicedo moved clubs for more than twice that amount.

Using Caicedo and Rice as examples is precisely what’s wrong with the market. Fees are out of hand and financial restrictions have put pressure on all clubs to spend responsibly. If an oil club isn’t prepared to be realistic either with fee or fee structure, the club should move on. For all we know, PSG are asking for it all upfront to fund their Neves move. We’re letting clubs know we won’t be held to ransom. Ugarte wants to leave and PSG will have to be realistic if the deal is going to happen.

I think it's more to do with United thinking he can't be worth what PSG paid last year. It is a fair price but it should be cheaper.

People are absolutely right to moan about how this window is unfolding so far.
You probably moaned too when we overpaid for Casemiro because the club panicked due to fans like you getting impatient and moaning. The club can't win but, as I said you do you, keep moaning. We are doing the correct thing by not bowing to their demands.

We are absolutely within our right to baulk at the fees for Ugarte, De Ligt and Branthwaite by their respective clubs as none of them are worth what their clubs are demanding. If we felt they were worth it, they would already be here as we've seen how fast we moved with Yoro.

It's not like they want to keep him like it was the case with the other players. PSG have already replaced Ugarte and he is not rater by their manager. So they have to accept a loss on a player they bought a year ago. We accepted a loss on Lukaku and Di Maria who were in similar scenarios.

We literally bought Casemiro and Amrabat in the last 2 seasons. Bad businesses maybe(which we are trying to change) but it's not been neglected. :rolleyes:

Casemiro was a panic buy after two losses in the start of the season, we weren't even originally looking for a DM that window. Amrabat was brought in on loan after we dropped big money on another #8. When's the last time we actually made a DM a priority signing? Matic in 2017 who was already past his peak?

Casemiro was a panic buy after two losses in the start of the season, we weren't even originally looking for a DM that window. Amrabat was brought in on loan after we dropped big money on another #8. When's the last time we actually made a DM a priority signing? Matic in 2017 who was already past his peak?

Would Fred count since whenhe was signed in 2018 he was our only major signing that summer.

You probably moaned too when we overpaid for Casemiro because the club panicked due to fans like you getting impatient and moaning. The club can't win but, as I said you do you, keep moaning. We are doing the correct thing by not bowing to their demands.

We are absolutely within our right to baulk at the fees for Ugarte, De Ligt and Branthwaite by their respective clubs as none of them are worth what their clubs are demanding. If we felt they were worth it, they would already be here as we've seen how fast we moved with Yoro.
Nobody’s moaning about overpaying though. The problem is where are the alternatives, it’s August, they’ve already missed pre-season. And even if we ignore the incomings, why can’t we sell anyone? We just had our worst season in our lifetimes, where the changes, what are the consequences? I see none.

Nobody’s moaning about overpaying though. The problem is where are the alternatives, it’s August, they’ve already missed pre-season. And even if we ignore the incomings, why can’t we sell anyone? We just had our worst season in our lifetimes, where the changes, what are the consequences? I see none.
We can just finalize Amrabat deal and be done with it.

United have to make a stand and stop paying these inflated fees.

So for that reason alone I'm fine with the club walking away.

Again, we were literally chasing De Jong that whole window who was a DM. We switched to Casemiro after those losses. Why are we trying to rewrite history here? The way we went about the business have not been upto the mark but it's not like DM position has been neglected.

Ah yes, the Antony school of negotiations. Do we really want someone who would do that to push a move? Because he could easily do it to us someday.

And not sure how recouping what they originally paid is unrealistic. If anything he's gained experience playing at a higher level.

Again, we were literally chasing De Jong that whole window who was a DM. We switched to Casemiro after those losses. Why are we trying to rewrite history here? The way we went about the business have not been upto the mark but it's not like DM position has been neglected.

No one's trying to rewrite history. Have you considered people don't interpret different events the same way you do? Calling FDJ a DM is debatable. Yeah, I suppose you can play him there but I think most people would have doubts about placing FDJ as a single pivot DM in the Prem when he's much more similar to someone like Mainoo than Casemiro.

Also, signing Case in a panic after two back-to-back losses is neglect. Why do you think that signing was made so late? It's because the position was simply never properly addressed in our transfer windows and it culminated to a point where our new manager was well on his way to a first season sacking without an emergency buy.

He was half decent towards end of last year and can be signed for a relatively low amount. We need midfielders badly.
We also need quality midfielders. Surely, by this point we've learned that a squad has a limited slots and you don't just buy anyone for the sake of making the numbers.
Casemiro and Amrabat, I promise you, is bottom half midfield and I'm sure it will be reflected in the table if we end up with those.

Sounds like you are confused about us spending the FDJ budget on Casemiro as interpreting them as the same type of target. We switched profiles when we realized how open our midfield was. They are nothing alike as players, we still needed someone like FDJ to play alongside the DM.

De Jong isn't really a DM. You can put him there but he's wasted there. It's pretty similar to putting Mainoo there, actually. Put him as the left-sided #8 with an actual DM behind him and he's one of the best midfielders in the world.

but PSG are relaxed — with vast interest over a move for the 23-year-old from alternative suitors.

I call b.s. on this one. There isn't vast interest in him at the price they want or PSG would have used it by now to drive the price up.

No one's trying to rewrite history. Have you considered people don't interpret different events the same way you do? Calling FDJ a DM is debatable. Yeah, I suppose you can play him there but I think most people would have doubts about placing FDJ as a single pivot DM in the Prem when he's much more similar to someone like Mainoo than Casemiro.

Also, signing Case in a panic after two back-to-back losses is neglect. Why do you think that signing was made so late? It's because the position was simply never properly addressed in our transfer windows and it culminated to a point where our new manager was well on his way to a first season sacking without an emergency buy.
FDJ being a DM is debatable? He's not the type of DM that Casemiro is as they are wildly different profiles but he has still played in that position a lot. And that is why a lot of people were surprised that we pivoted from De Jong to Casemiro. And hence the tag of panic buy. We have been trying to address that position but making bad decisions in the transfers we make. Not sure how that classifies as totally neglecting that position. Targeting 3 DM's in 3 summers is neglecting?

We also need quality midfielders. Surely, by this point we've learned that a squad has a limited slots and you don't just buy anyone for the sake of making the numbers.
Casemiro and Amrabat, I promise you, is bottom half midfield and I'm sure it will be reflected in the table if we end up with those.
So you think if we don't sign anyone other than amrabat that we'll finish in the bottom half?

Sounds like you are confused about us spending the FDJ budget on Casemiro as interpreting them as the same type of target. We switched profiles when we realized how open our midfield was. They are nothing alike as players, we still needed someone like FDJ to play alongside the DM.

De Jong isn't really a DM. You can put him there but he's wasted there. It's pretty similar to putting Mainoo there, actually. Put him as the left-sided #8 with an actual DM behind him and he's one of the best midfielders in the world.
Addressed this in a reply to the other poster. I'm not confused and I agree they are different profiles but ETH was clearly trying to sign FDJ as the DM and was probably trying to go for the system he used at Ajax.

FDJ being a DM is debatable? He's not the type of DM that Casemiro is as they are wildly different profiles but he has still played in that position a lot. And that is why a lot of people were surprised that we pivoted from De Jong to Casemiro. And hence the tag of panic buy. We have been trying to address that position but making bad decisions in the transfers we make. Not sure how that classifies as totally neglecting that position. Targeting 3 DM's in 3 summers is neglecting?

Personally and to be fair only basing on PSG performancesas never really saw him at Lisbon....not that fussed, not at £50m anyway.

More energy...and different player, but I seehim simarlarly to how I did Ander Herrera. Think a lot of fans would really warm to him for his spirit and he looks a good player...but nothing massively stands out to meas exceptional watching him...I dont follow thesemodern stats.

Noproblem walking away.....but its more a potentiala problem what we potentially do now....as if its nothing and keeping players in midfield we are struggling to shift....its catasrophically bad. If its signing AMrabat....its pretty much just as bad....why are we onsidering making a loan deal that was generally pretty poor or average at best bar maybe two games permanent?

Personally I rate Rabiot...butthe age, apparent personality and journeymanesque profile....just dont watnt him, think he is a temporary fix.

Zubimendi costs the same as what we have just walkedaway from though doesnt he?

This should be a test of our supposed transfer gurus to work there magic...fewyoung SOuth AMericans look promising and think he was Belgian, somemidfielder looked good....guess its a risk with COllyer being young andunproven.

Personally, though he probably costs £40-50m too,my choice would be Alan Varela at Porto

Status
Not open for further replies.