Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think if we don't sign anyone other than amrabat that we'll finish in the bottom half?
Bottom half is probably a bit extreme considering we’ve just finished in the top halve with Amrabat. But Amrabat in midfield isn’t getting us top 4 or close to the top teams. We need a world class midfield functioning well to close the gap on the top.

He was half decent towards end of last year and can be signed for a relatively low amount. We need midfielders badly.
Nope he had one maybe two decent games, we do need midfielders badly but not bang average ones like Amrabat who will be deadwood next summer and we’ll not be able to shift him.
We must move away from panicking to buy mediocrity. Amrabat is not the answer even if he was free.

What's worrying is the players we're apparently targeting all have different profiles. Rabiot, Ugarte, Fofana and Zubimendi.

Do they club know what type of midfielder we need? Doesn't look that way.
Take all these links with a pinch of salt apart from Ugarte though surely. For the other three has there been anything concrete at all? With Rabiot the news I’ve seen is his agent is going full scattergun and we’re telling him to chill out.

As much as I would have liked him here, I think it’s far more important that we have our valuations and stick to them. We need to undo the damage of the previous years where we shell out outrageous fees on everyone.

We also finished 3rd with Cas and Eriksen in CM, so it doesn’t really tell us much.

If we get the defensive reinforcements we look like doing, we’ll be a different team again.
If Cas could step into a time machine and reverse two years I'd be much more confident in the coming season

We've finished 8th with them and our second best defender is gone. Hardly outlandish.
Melodramatic at best. When was the last time we finished outside the top eight? Given the players we seem to have coming in (de ligt in particular) coupled with yoro we'll be looking better. Saying we'll be looking at bottom half is drama queen stuff.

For me, this is one of the most crucial positions we need to strengthen this summer. We need a quality player, as however believes that Casemiro has anything left to offer, will be in for a shocker.

If Ugarte talks cooled off I can only imagine any exploration by PSG for Sancho must be surface level still at that point.

Bottom half is probably a bit extreme considering we’ve just finished in the top halve with Amrabat. But Amrabat in midfield isn’t getting us top 4 or close to the top teams. We need a world class midfield functioning well to close the gap on the top.
Agreed that top four is likely to be a step too far as we are, but squad building wasn't going to happen overnight, particularly not when we need to reset expectations so that selling clubs don't just see us as walking ATMs

Gomes is similar to Ugarte. Great off the ball, dynamic, tenacious, short passer. Like Ugarte, I feel he'd better better next to a deep-lying playmaker.

Andre? Is that the player statman Dave always mentions?
Andre plays for fluminese in Brasil. I know nothing more about him. Though their manager apparently uses some innovative tactics so that has me intrigued. I just found that out by searching for some analysis videos of him on YouTube.

We're the only club around that needs world class players everywhere just to finish top 4.

Ugarte on loan for 5m with an option to buy for 50m would be a great deal imo. Given how poor Casemiro looked against Liverpool PSG have absolutely no reason to negotiate with us right now.

Ugarte on loan for 5m with an option to buy for 50m would be a great deal imo. Given how poor Casemiro looked against Liverpool PSG have absolutely no reason to negotiate with us right now.
It’s a pre season game, I’m pretty sure PSG were not watching that game

Hopefully some posturing to get PSG to be a tad more realistic. I could see potentially loan with option being used.

It seems like we’ve put a lot of eggs in this basket to back out now

They won’t agree to it unless it’s an obligation to buy. They want to get him off the books. Why would they agree to this deal with an option to buy cause they have to deal with getting him off the books again next summer.

As much as I would have liked him here, I think it’s far more important that we have our valuations and stick to them. We need to undo the damage of the previous years where we shell out outrageous fees on everyone.

Fully agree. Ugarte would have been a good addition but we’d still need a 2nd MF with him since he’s more one dimensional.

They won’t agree to it unless it’s an obligation to buy. They want to get him off the books. Why would they agree to this deal with an option to buy cause they have to deal with getting him off the books again next summer.

Fair point. one can hope though...

Hopefully some posturing to get PSG to be a tad more realistic. I could see potentially loan with option being used.

It seems like we’ve put a lot of eggs in this basket to back out now
I think its posturing as there have been more than a few journos reporting we'd agreed terms with Ugarte and assured him he is the no1 target.

Hopefully a loan with an option to buy.

I can't say I've seen him enough to value him but their asking price doesn't seem a lot for a first choice midfielder. It seems like we're only after him on the cheap which concerns me given he's been our focus for so long.

Agreed that top four is likely to be a step too far as we are, but squad building wasn't going to happen overnight, particularly not when we need to reset expectations so that selling clubs don't just see us as walking ATMs
That’s already changing though isn’t it. Pulled out of the Branthwaite deal as they wanted to much. Stalling over Ugarte because they want to much. Trying to negotiate the De Ligt deal so it comes down in price a little bit. We can sign some really good players for not much money.

The idea that PSG negotiators are watching our pre-season games and laughing about how terrible our midfielders are makes me laugh :lol:

Yes it's frustrating but this will lead to some term pain but hopefully long term gain. I understand this stance because will help negotiations in the future.

Probably, but I think the price was too steep for us by all accounts. Ineos probably thought we could get Ugarte for much less. Anyway.
Just thought if you were gonna spend 40-50m on a DM Onana fit the best easily. I’ve always had serious doubts about Ugarte as a lone 6. Elite tackler but feels like he’s a bit too rash postionally.

Anyways, I’d be happy with Fofana and another cheap option there. Makes sense for the price and it wouldn’t be us sinking some huge investment into someone that we have to give time. We’d be free to upgrade again next summer.

Real shame if we have to walk away as I thought Ugarte would be a great signing, but glad we're not being bullied into overpaying. Feck PSG, they know he's not part of their plans but still being so stubborn. Hope it comes back to bite them.

It’s been a sellers market for way too long. Time it switched.

Correct decision, as annoying as it is, we have to start doing this instead of being ripped off.

I just hope the alternative aren't players of the level of Amrabat. We need quality in midfield desperately.

Last edited:
It’s both annoying and exactly what we’ve wanted from the club for 10 years.

Can’t go into the season with just Casemiro though. Let’s hope we’ve got someone else lined up.

Yeah definitely leaves you with mixed feelings, really hope we have someone else lined up IF we have actually moved on that is

100% right decision, PSG asking for 60M is madness considering he failed there and it's not on Luis Enrique's plans.

As much as we need a DM this kind of decisions are valuable for the future, let the other teams we won't be taken for a ride anymore. Now it's the scouts work to find alternatives within the budget and let PSG deal with Ugarte another season as a squad option.

What's worrying is the players we're apparently targeting all have different profiles. Rabiot, Ugarte, Fofana and Zubimendi.

Do they club know what type of midfielder we need? Doesn't look that way.

Yeah that says we still don't know what profile of midfield they are looking to bring in which is worrying, ideally we get two of those profiles but with Casemiro going nowhere, McTominay still in stalemate and Eriksen attracting little interest there is no chance

Status
Not open for further replies.