Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not obsessed with anything. We went looking for a best in class DOF and he was the one we identified. We made an approach and now we are going through the process of acquiring him from an employer who doesn't want to make it easy.

We don't know that he "loves goddamn Southgate" aside from a few dodgy looking tweets from questionable sources.

He was also the man in the hotseat at Newcastle and Brighton - two English Premier League clubs, when they signed players like Caceido, MacAllister, Isak, Botman, Cucurella, Trossard, Mitoma, Ferguson, Gordon, Lamptey, Livramento and Tonali. If we were in the process of trying to poach a DOF from a Portugese club, 90% of you betwetters would be whining on here about why we weren't going for a Prem proven option like Ashworth.

He also admitted himself he had nothing to do with those transfers...

We might have had this bid rejected, but we seem to have moved past the days of endless - monitoring/preparing/evaluating - briefs.

And also working on multiple targets/positions simultaneously

Yeah there does seem to be more evidence of working on multiple positions, however do wish it was coming from strong sources

So who is a better fit out of this guy and Onana
Onana is better but would probably cost more. Ugarte is a high volume passer but plays it safe whilst Onana is more progressive with his passing and plays with more risk and has a higher physical and athletic level.

He also admitted himself he had nothing to do with those transfers...

Because, as has been pointed out a thousand times, that isn't his role. His role is to put people in place who will identify and execute those transfers, and to sit in the middle ensuring that all the relevant parties are communicating properly.

But every day, we still listen to people saying "Waaaaah, why can't we be more like Benfica or Brighton? Why don't we get their DOFs instead of some guy who's obsessed with Southgate?"

Is he a DM? If so what type of DM? Are there any better known players that people would compare him to stylistically?

Caicedo is a similar profile, I'd say. He's a ball-winning midfielder who loves to tackle and keeps it simple with his passing. Doesn't offer much else, except lots and lots of ball recoveries.

Onana is better but would probably cost more. Ugarte is a high volume passer but plays it safe whilst Onana is more progressive with his passing and plays with more risk and has a higher physical and athletic level.
Sounds like Ugarte would be a better fit for our midfield as we already have a high risk passer in it currently (Bruno). Maybe we can finally move to a possession based style where our midfielders recycle possession better instead of playing a basketball game:

Sounds like Ugarte would be a better fit for our midfield as we already have a high risk passer in it currently (Bruno). Maybe we can finally move to a possession based style where our midfielders recycle possession better instead of playing a basketball game:
I don't think so because Bruno is utilised as a player higher up the pitch and shouldn't have a bearing on how we build play from deeper areas. We need better progression from deeper areas because we've got plenty of backwards and sideways players already in the team.

Ugarte wouldn't be a bad player to sign but I would hope we aim higher. I think PSG are trying to move him on because Ugarte's passing game is too limited to play as the DM in a Luis Enrique team.

Not sure he was starting in their biggest matches last year - anyone who watches them regularly - is he a bona fide starter? Seems to have gone with Vitinha, Ruiz and Zaire-Emery at the tail end of last season. Maybe he was injured?

I don't think so because Bruno is utilised as a player higher up the pitch and shouldn't have a bearing on how we build play from deeper areas. We need better progression from deeper areas because we've got plenty of backwards and sideways players already in the team.

Ugarte wouldn't be a bad player to sign but I would hope we aim higher. I think PSG are trying to move him on because Ugarte's passing game is too limited to play as the DM in a Luis Enrique team.

Who would you define as aiming higher then?

Would fit Mainoo really well imo. He's not a DM. He's more in the mould of Kante and Ander Herrera. Energy, tackles, but he's also a good passer. Mainoo can be more of the distributor in that set up.

We're not obsessed with anything. We went looking for a best in class DOF and he was the one we identified. We made an approach and now we are going through the process of acquiring him from an employer who doesn't want to make it easy.

We don't know that he "loves goddamn Southgate" aside from a few dodgy looking tweets from questionable sources.

He was also the man in the hotseat at Newcastle and Brighton - two English Premier League clubs, when they signed players like Caceido, MacAllister, Isak, Botman, Cucurella, Trossard, Mitoma, Ferguson, Gordon, Lamptey, Livramento and Tonali. If we were in the process of trying to poach a DOF from a Portugese club, 90% of you betwetters would be whining on here about why we weren't going for a Prem proven option like Ashworth.
"betwetters" :lol:

And to be fair, it is an obsession when you wait for somebody for 18months, for a role that you needed to fill asap

It is very weird, and either an obsession with Ashworth or complete incompetence. There was no secret he had 18 months garden leave clause, Newcastle is our competitor, why in the hell did anybody think they would let him come to us easily?

It seems like we're insistent on two #8s (Mainoo + another) behind a #10 like Bruno. No links to pure, sitting DMs.

Personally neither are good enough.Was abig fanfare about Ugarte last summer and seen nothing in his season At PSG to live up to he hype. As for Onana he is about as progressive as a bollard. I get the physical attributes but he is just so bang average as a player, no Everton fans seem hot on him....really dont get what lots of pundits and fans see in him at all, £50/60m odd people seeing as a good deal yet Rice was a ludicrous fee....in comparison it definately isnt for me.

Good the club dont seem prepared to pay silly fees for players.....as that makes me feel thereis no way we arein for Onana, Ugarte though is no better so who knows

Wanted him last summer and despite an underwhelming season at PSG I think he would be an excellent replacement for Casemiro.

He’d certainly stop teams walking through our midfield with such ease and is excellent at ball retention. Paired with Mainoo and a high-line and we may be able to start controlling football matches.

Only issue I would have here is his wages, got to be on quite a lot at PSG

With JCB at the helm, you'd imagine we'd have a pretty decent relationship with PSG.

Only issue I would have here is his wages, got to be on quite a lot at PSG

I believe he is actually only on about £110-120k a week which is not crazy. We could effectively offer him Eriksen’s wages which is about £150k and ship Eriksen off to Turkey for a couple of quid.

Their academy and eye for talent is exceptional. Just in their current first team squad, there's at least 6 or 7 players they either produced themselves, or got for peanuts, and could eventually sell for huge money.

Correct. Hugo Viana as DoF and our scouting department have been very good. Next in line for big business are Gyokeres (Arsenal rumors), Hjulmand, Inácio, Diomande, even Pote can eventually be a decent deal with the Aston Villa interest. I think Hugo Viana will probably move to a bigger club when Amorim leaves. They are close friends.

Depending on the price tag, Ugarte would be a good player for United. Really liked him when he played for us. Also think he has the right personality for this United phase. He's a no nonsense, no fuss, ultimate professional player. Probably wants out because he's not a starter atm. Doesn't seem like a guy who would be happy to sit on the bench and just pick the checks. Always seemed ambitious and had the objective of solidifying as an Uruguay starter.

Both times I saw him this season he dropped all time stinkers (vs Newcastle, vs Milan). Newcastle he was chasing shadows but against Milan in particular he got absolutely bodied multiple times by Loftus Cheek. Think he got dragged off in the Milan game shortly after half time. No ball carrying ability, no forward passes. Didn't look overly athletic. More like Amrabat with somewhat better acceleration and similar top pace.

Hopefully not reflective.

Edit - helpful to know I wasn't completely imagining it. Lowest SofaScore ratings vs Newcastle (1/6 duels won) and Milan (3/15 duels won). He was actually subbed in both though.

If that is true, then those deals are exactly what we should be looking at. We could loan Ugarte and save that money for a defensive midfielder next summer window. If Ugarte is great for us, buy him. If not, we get someone else.

We need to make more use of loan deals this window, and prioritise buying exceptional players or talents this window like Joao Neves, even if he is expensive. He will be a player that transforms our midfield along with Mainoo.

Mainoo is not the quickest....If Ugarte doesn't have some pace that isn't going to resolve our inability to cover the midfield spaces properly that plagued us all last season

Mainoo is not the quickest....If Ugarte doesn't have some pace that isn't going to resolve our inability to cover the midfield spaces properly that plagued us all last season

Keane, Scholes, Butt and Carrick were not the quickest but they seemed to cope okay in the midfield

Get him in.

If this is true then this should be done. Save us a bunch of money for all the other positions we need this summer and get to test drive a potentially very good player before buying. Seems way too obvious.

Our main problem last year was tactical. Unless we change how we set up our midfield, like we did at the end of the season, we'll have the same problem.

Our main problem last year was tactical. Unless we change how we set up our midfield, like we did at the end of the season, we'll have the same problem.
agreed....which is the same question i just posed on the wan bissaka thread

do we actually know what we are trying to do and play tactically especially in our midfield?

agreed....which is the same question i just posed on the wan bissaka thread

do we actually know what we are trying to do and play tactically especially in our midfield?
This is my big fear with keeping ETH on. I hope he's learned this season that you can't leave such wide open spaces on the pitch all the time. If we can start playing in more of a solid block in possession, high up the pitch, I don't see any reason that Ugarte couldn't fit in here.

This is my big fear with keeping ETH on. I hope he's learned this season that you can't leave such wide open spaces on the pitch all the time. If we can start playing in more of a solid block in possession, high up the pitch, I don't see any reason that Ugarte couldn't fit in here.

i don't think anyone else does either considering just how wide open our midfield was defensively all season

the ONLY game it wasn't like that was the FA Cup final against City

90% of the time we defended tactically in a 4231 so the 8 was playing in the double pivot role defensively and then played higher up the pitch once in possession

that still could be done with two 6's in the starting XI just to help solidify the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.