Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
And our midfield was never open but rather the the CBs didn't close off the space by stepping into the space vacated by the midfield.
I know you made this point multiple times before and even I said something along the same lines couple of times. Guess it's just falling on deaf ears. :lol:

wonder how long it takes for Chelsea to enter their 600th transfer race this summer
Ofcourse they'll be in for him. They need to replace Gallagher who they are looking to get rid. :smirk:

If BBC are reporting this, then cock's out!

I hope we get this guy. Casemiro is done here. I can't watch another season of him sliding all over the pitch.

Who would you define as aiming higher then?
I think if they end up signing Ugarte then I'm hoping we also make up Ugarte's for short comings in possession by signing a more progressive player in Central midfield and also a more progressive player at RCB. I've mentioned Wieffer already buy I would also look at the South American market where at Boca Juniors, there's a very interesting young CM in the form of Ezequiel Fernandez. I think at 21 years old, he's a player who we should consider.

https://x.com/GM10Media/status/1805633308522332287?t=Y5N6eB1GPGL26j-M2xV64g&s=09

Would do well if he came to England. Reminds me a lot of Palhinha actually.

23 years old, loan with buy option, that South American grit, just under 6' tall, a solid and safe passer but an absolute beast defensively from what I've seen? Yes please. We need an energetic ball winner next to Mainoo and Bruno in the midfield. Whether it's a 3 or a 4-2-3-1, Mainoo next to Ugarte would be a nice balance. Maybe lack some passing range, but Mainoo is young and can develop that side of his game more (and Bruno offers it quite well).

I think if they end up signing Ugarte then I'm hoping we also make up Ugarte's for short comings in possession by signing a more progressive player in Central midfield and also a more progressive player at RCB. I've mentioned Wieffer already buy I would also look at the South American market where at Boca Juniors, there's a very interesting young CM in the form of Ezequiel Fernandez. I think at 21 years old, he's a player who we should consider.

https://x.com/GM10Media/status/1805633308522332287?t=Y5N6eB1GPGL26j-M2xV64g&s=09
Ugarte is not poor with the ball and can play progressive passes. He tends not to but thats not because he does not have the ability

Why are PSG looking to sell him?
His YouTube looks good, some Carrick esq long passes, he’s also very direct when winning the ball, fast transitions.

Ugarte is not poor with the ball and can play progressive passes. He tends not to but thats not because he does not have the ability
I never said he's poor on the ball but he isn't someone that you should rely on to progress the ball hence he's a safe passer but not a progressive one. All of that was evident at SCP and even at PSG hence they're looking to move him on because Luis Enrique wants to implement a style on the ball that not only requires ball security but also progression.

He's a great player, would probably be the best signing we've made under Ten Hag really. I just hope PSG are reasonable about this because we obviously have a tight budget this summer.

I mostly agree with your post but Ugarte has always been someone that keeps it simple in possession. It's not his game to be more expansive on the ball and I completely agree that he can potentially add that steel in the midfield that we're obviously missing out of possession.

And our midfield was never open but rather the the CBs didn't close off the space by stepping into the space vacated by the midfield.

If we sign Ugarte then I think it's probably a good idea to sign a very progressive RCB instead of targeting Branthwaite.

Ugarte + Diomande would be interesting

Yes, agreed. Would have to be patient with Diomande though because he's still very young. But I think having more progressive passing from the RCB position would really help us.

I never said he's poor on the ball but he isn't someone that you should rely on to progress the ball hence he's a safe passer but not a progressive one. All of that was evident at SCP and even at PSG hence they're looking to move him on because Luis Enrique wants to implement a style on the ball that not only requires ball security but also progression.

I'll repeat, he has the tools to be progressive

I can get on board with this signing unlike some of our other links. Ugarte reminds me of Kante a lot. Obviously not as good but incredibly quick to the ball and is good at dribbling or evading challenges. Limited passing range but gets the job done especially if played alongside a better passer.

I can get on board with this signing unlike some of our other links. Ugarte reminds me of Kante a lot. Obviously not as good but incredibly quick to the ball and is good at dribbling or evading challenges. Limited passing range but gets the job done especially if played alongside a better passer.
Yeah, I just watched his compilation too.

This is promising , even if nothing comes of it , he's the right age and the right quality . That's not what we normally do .

They're open to negotiating on a player they bought last season for €60 million. This doesn't set off alarms for people?

They're open to negotiating on a player they bought last season for €60 million. This doesn't set off alarms for people?

Id much rather we acted like that . You can sign a player that is good but doesn't quite fit with others the way you anticipated .

What do you do ? Keep him forever in the hope he eventually does , or get a good resale and go again with the added insight of knowing exactly what you want is a slightly different profile ?

I prefer the latter .

Watched Ezequiel Fernandez play two times, he is a gem. He can be a little careless at times but his ability to carry the ball, and make progressive passes is very very good for his age. He will end up at Benfica/Porto and then be sold on for 80m.

Diomande is not ready to be our starting RCB. He needs at least another season at Sporting.

At that price, we are better off getting Silva from Benfica.

I always believe that the perfect pair of Mainoo is a midfielder who offers high energy, aggression, and mobility in defending because Mainoo is more a composure midfielder who is defensively not mobile.

Ugarte had been in my top list of realistic DM this summer due to the fact that he’s not Enrique’s main no 6.

Anyone know whether he is good in retaining possession while being pressed?

Loan with option to buy probably the right move. No club is paying €60 million or more this season for a player who is clearly for sale.

Definitely, however if that was a viable option surely it would be referenced in the BBC article

Onana is better but would probably cost more. Ugarte is a high volume passer but plays it safe whilst Onana is more progressive with his passing and plays with more risk and has a higher physical and athletic level.
Do we need progressive passer for DM though? I think the squad need to have balance as well. Can’t have everyone to be progressive passer.

If our GK (Onana), may be RCB (??), LCB (Martinez), RB (Dalot), LB (Shaw), AM (Bruno), CM (Mainoo) are progressive passer, surely we need some balance to have player who can play safe, but still capable to keep possession while under pressure and do the incredible job defensively.

Alvarez at Ajax under ten Hag wasn’t a progressive passer. I remember I saw the fbref stats that each of the players in their back four had much more progressive passes than Alvarez. May be we should be aiming for someone who is incredible defensively and can keep possession when under pressure.

Do we need progressive passer for DM though? I think the squad need to have balance as well. Can’t have everyone to be progressive passer.

If our GK (Onana), may be RCB (??), LCB (Martinez), RB (Dalot), LB (Shaw), AM (Bruno), CM (Mainoo) are progressive passer, surely we need some balance to have player who can play safe, but still capable to keep possession while under pressure and do the incredible job defensively.

Alvarez at Ajax under ten Hag wasn’t a progressive passer. I remember I saw the fbref stats that each of the players in their back four had much more progressive passes than Alvarez. May be we should be aiming for someone who is incredible defensively and can keep possession when under pressure.

Do you think Ugarte could be that player?

It really depends on the system. I think if in attach our CDM remains deep and sits in between the CBs and the fullbacks push up, then you dont need a progressive passer.

I really wish Amass was a year or two further in his development, his ability to progress the ball and play the inverted fullback role looks elite for his age and it would allow us to play with a DM like Ugarte.

You're making some very valid points and I do agree with what you're saying.

Apart from Bruno who shouldn't be relied upon for progressive passing in a deeper role, I agree the rest of the players will have to step up to the plate as far as exerting control in possession goes. Bruno is a player who occupies advance positions and he isn't suited to playing a deeper role to a high enough level in possession compared to the competition domestically that we're trying to close the gap to. The build up phase is absolutely crucial towards exerting control in possession and those players in deeper positions will also play a big role in thwarting transitions in a higher line which I believe is the aim for any team that wants to implement a more proactive game style.

So I do agree that we can offset Ugarte's limitations on the ball by raising the level elsewhere. So who that potential RCB is, will make a difference to how we exert control in possession imo. I don't think signing Ugarte and Branthwaite will move the needle as far as raising our ability on the ball compared to the competition we're trying to get close to. So for me signing a RCB with the physical, athletic and technical quality would be quite important. We don't want to get into a state where the opponent strategically blocks passing lanes towards Martinez and Mainoo which makes the opponent's press more effective. But if we have multiple weapons in the build up phase who have the ability to hurt the opponent in possession, the opponent's high pressure tactics will become ineffective.

As far as Alvarez is concerned during his time at Ajax, you're correct that he was a player that didn't suit the in-possession concepts of the team. But with Ajax at the time, their CBs and fullbacks contributed heavily towards controlling the game in possession with the fullbacks coming inside and Alvarez had a simple role in a lot of games where he would drop in between the CBs and would play simple passes either side to the CBs or to the GK behind him which offset his weaknesses in possession.

Why does it seem realistic to you? Have I missed something that suggests it is? Is it more realistic than anybody else because we've actually just been linked to him and barely any other midfielders?
Because he is on the periphery at PSG (so they're open to selling) and is the age and type of player that we will look at to replace Casemiro with, along with it being confirmed that we actually made an offer for him?

What do you make of his positioning? Can he play the role of the deepest midfielder of a three and just sit and mop up behind? Or will he leave the CBs exposed on transitions because he rushes up high to win the ball but fails?
His positioning is a strong aspect of his game, he's very tactically disciplined and isn't a headless chicken ball winner. He won't run off to win the ball leaving space behind him. He's like your classic Uruguayan DM ala Gargano and Diego Perez solid and very disciplined, will win the ball back all day, protect the defence and play it fwd. His agility and quick feet also help him get out of tight spaces, he's deceptively skillful so he won't be caught lacking on the ball. Player like him would be perfect for what we need right now. One things for sure, we won't be getting overrun with him in there.

Why are PSG looking to sell him?
His YouTube looks good, some Carrick esq long passes, he’s also very direct when winning the ball, fast transitions.
According to the PSG fans on reddit, they want to use the funds they get from selling this guy to get Neves.

Status
Not open for further replies.