Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played the 6th most minutes in the entire squad

51c7df980d4144d86b53378f4ce067e8.png

And he was dropped to the bench in the last third of the season, It's better to watch games...

Price would have to be 35-40m max, and he's not a lone #6 for me, but could probably play a double pivot with Mainoo?

PSG starter, not a chance

He played around half the available minutes for PSG last season and he didn't get injured all season, according to Transfermarkt. Can't really be considered a starter IMO.

L’Equipe reporting we made an offer that was rejected… interesting.

I like how we appear to be targeting multiple deals at a time - a long held annoyance that we were never seemingly able to do so previously.

Price would have to be 35-40m max, and he's not a lone #6 for me, but could probably play a double pivot with Mainoo?

He played around half the available minutes for PSG last season and he didn't get injured all season, according to Transfermarkt. Can't really be considered a starter IMO.

35-40 max is insanely cheap and not going to happen

Let’s do an Aston Villa where we have an agreement we buy this guy for £200m, they can have Rashford for £201m

35-40 max is insanely cheap and not going to happen

Yeah, I don't think our interest is serious or even real, unless there's a real chance of a cut-price deal being done.

He's a decent player, but what kind of role are we envisioning for him at United? If we want a Rodri/Rice type of DM, I don't think Ugarte is that type of player. If we want someone who's good defensively but we'd pair them in a double pivot with Mainoo, then Youssouf Fofana is much better value for around 25-30m than Ugarte would be for double that. If we spend 50-60m on a DM this summer, we might as well go for the better player and better fit in Amadou Onana.

Yeah, I don't think our interest is serious or even real, unless there's a real chance of a cut-price deal being done.

He's a decent player, but what kind of role are we envisioning for him at United? If we want a Rodri/Rice type of DM, I don't think Ugarte is that type of player. If we want someone who's good defensively but we'd pair them in a double pivot with Mainoo, then Youssouf Fofana is much better value for around 25-30m than Ugarte would be for double that. If we spend 50-60m on a DM this summer, we might as well go for the better player and better fit in Amadou Onana.

Hes a much better player than Amadou Onana or Youssouf Fofana.

What is in the Lisbon water? I don't particularly think too much of Hjulmand, but he's seamlessly stepped in after Ugarte and Palhinha. No doubt somebody will seamlessly step in if/when he moves.

L’Equipe reporting we made an offer that was rejected… interesting.

I like how we appear to be targeting multiple deals at a time - a long held annoyance that we were never seemingly able to do so previously.

Fans are perennially annoyed. We’ve done this many times.

I don't think Fofana belongs in the same conversation. He'd essentially be a McTominay upgrade based on what I've seen. A physical attacking 8.

Wasn't he close to joining Chelsea at one point? Or was that just a ploy to make another team think they had other options over the play they were actually after? I think it might have been Caicedo

What is in the Lisbon water? I don't particularly think too much of Hjulmand, but he's seamlessly stepped in after Ugarte and Palhinha. No doubt somebody will seamlessly step in if/when he moves.

Their academy and eye for talent is exceptional. Just in their current first team squad, there's at least 6 or 7 players they either produced themselves, or got for peanuts, and could eventually sell for huge money.

Wasn't he close to joining Chelsea at one point? Or was that just a ploy to make another team think they had other options over the play they were actually after? I think it might have been Caicedo

He was very close to joining Chelsea last summer

You're criminally underrating Onana...with Fofana I claimed he would be better value, which is probably true since he would reportedly only cost around ~30m?

Their academy and eye for talent is exceptional. Just in their current first team squad, there's at least 6 or 7 players they either produced themselves, or got for peanuts, and could eventually sell for huge money.
Why are we not recruiting their recruiters and paying them enormous money instead of wasting money on players and agents once they are already insanely expensive? Why didnt we go for their DOF instead of Ashworth?

You're criminally underrating Onana...with Fofana I claimed he would be better value, which is probably true since he would reportedly only cost around ~30m?
Or you are criminally underrating Ugarte
Also, signing a vastly inferior player (Fofana) who cannot give you what Ugarte gives is not value.

Why are we not recruiting their recruiters and paying them enormous money instead of wasting money on players and agents once they are already insanely expensive? Why didnt we go for their DOF instead of Ashworth?

For a whole host of reasons:

There is far less pressure on a young player to come through and get minutes at a Benfica or a Sporting than there is at United.

The standard of the Portuguese league is way more forgiving for a young player finding their feet at those clubs.

There are very different rules and regulations for South American or non-European youngsters coming to live and play in Portugal than there are in in the UK. Brexit has complicated that even further

The weather and language in Portugal are far more conducive to young European and South American players settling in and flourishing.

The Portuguese press is in bed with their clubs when it comes to hyping and promoting young talent so as to attract interest abroad. The UK press serves only to build youngsters up so they can tear them down again.

~

It’s not as simple as “just hire Benfica or Sportings” scouts and DOF. They’re playing to a totally different set of rules under very different expectations.

Wait is there actually something in this? He'd be a great signing but I'm not sure why PSG would sell.

For a whole host of reasons:

There is far less pressure on a young player to come through and get minutes at a Benfica or a Sporting than there is at United.

The standard of the Portuguese league is way more forgiving for a young player finding their feet at those clubs.

There are very different rules and regulations for South American or non-European youngsters coming to live and play in Portugal than there are in in the UK. Brexit has complicated that even further

The weather and language in Portugal are far more conducive to young European and South American players settling in and flourishing.

The Portuguese press is in bed with their clubs when it comes to hyping and promoting young talent so as to attract interest abroad. The UK press serves only to build youngsters up so they can tear them down again.

~

It’s not as simple as “just hire Benfica or Sportings” scouts and DOF. They’re playing to a totally different set of rules under very different expectations.

A smart club would hire them anyway and develop a pipeline at a sister club in a warmer less challenging league

Isn’t Mount meant to be that number 8?

6 or 8 the op said. Mount can't play 6, and is vastly technically inferior and also not as good defensively
Urgate would be a more defensively sound partner who happens to be a better technical player and better at passing in midfield.
Mount should only really be used as an attacking 8/10 (e.g backup for Bruno/Mainoo)

We all know that they're a hotbed for developing and finding talent in general, but that position is bloody difficult to zero in on. Sporting seem to manage just fine year on year.

A smart club would hire them anyway and develop a pipeline at a sister club in a warmer less challenging league

I would love it to be that simple but it isn't. Players, particularly Iberian and South American, see the Portuguese triumvirate as an ideal stepping stone to huge money, usually via Jorge Mendes. And they're not wrong - it's a system that benefits the players in question.

Or you are criminally underrating Ugarte
Also, signing a vastly inferior player (Fofana) who cannot give you what Ugarte gives is not value.

Ugarte might be a good player who just chose the bad club to continue his career with in PSG...but saying he's "much better" than Onana is not true. There are not that many DMs in the world who are "much better" than the Belgian.

Ugarte might be a good player who just chose the bad club to continue his career with in PSG...but saying he's "much better" than Onana is not true. There are not that many DMs in the world who are "much better" than the Belgian.

That is your opinion, I happen to think he is much better than Onana especially in possession of the ball

I would love it to be that simple but it isn't. Players, particularly Iberian and South American, see the Portuguese triumvirate as an ideal stepping stone to huge money, usually via Jorge Mendes. And they're not wrong - it's a system that benefits the players in question.

Ha I made it sound simple but at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with setting something like this up and going after the obviously good scouts there. As crazy as it is at Chelsea that is part of what they are doing (I'm not suggesting we go to Chelsea levels of insane) but its fair to say that it can be done

There are much better players at passing though. Depends what you want in a DM. I think most DM are different. You have the destroyers. The ones who can dictate and control. I don’t think Onana fits in the category of controlling games though. I’d prefer someone like a Rodri.

They've got Sotiris Alexandropoulos currently on loan at Olympiacos, very similar player and everyone knows that Greek Ugarte is better.

He's not the most mobile is he? Feels like we've a chance to rectify the mistakes of the Casemiro signing and we're going to fluff it again. A double pivot of an immobile player + Mainoo will be exposed, in my opinion.
Having a very mobile defensive line would help a lot (which was the main issue last season), but I think you are overstating his mobility issues

Having a very mobile defensive line would help a lot (which was the main issue last season), but I think you are overstating his mobility issues
Too late, in my head he's getting around in a wheelchair already

Status
Not open for further replies.