Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that a bid has been turned down, anyone know what the fee we are looking at is?

He signed for them last season for £60m.

They've got Sotiris Alexandropoulos currently on loan at Olympiacos, very similar player and everyone knows that Greek Ugarte is better.

Christ get him in now. Imagine signing Zirkzee and the guy who's been holding Thermopalae together in the same window.

Ha I made it sound simple but at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with setting something like this up and going after the obviously good scouts there. As crazy as it is at Chelsea that is part of what they are doing (I'm not suggesting we go to Chelsea levels of insane) but its fair to say that it can be done

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to here. I know they do a lot of crazy things, but I wasn't aware they were hijacking scouting operations at other clubs. Please elaborate as I can never have enough reasons to slag them off!

Christ get him in now. Imagine signing Zirkzee and the guy who's been holding Thermopalae together in the same window.

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to here. I know they do a lot of crazy things, but I wasn't aware they were hijacking scouting operations at other clubs. Please elaborate as I can never have enough reasons to slag them off!

They took a lot of the recruitment team from Brighton and regularly sign young players from South American to loan to their sister club Strasborg

Dalot and Wan Bissaka is more mobile than Dalot and Shaw. So we need to replace Shaw.

Varane is more mobile than Martinez, so we need to replace Martinez.

Is Dalot mobile enough? Our best player of last season. Does he need replacing?

Varane isn't here.
Martinez didn't play much last season
Dalot is mobile enough yes
AWB isn't good enough in his consistency

The idea is that the backline need to get comfortable with their line higher up the pitch which leaves less space to cover in midfield. Martinez is an aggressive front footed CB as is Brainthwaite
The manager has said it plenty of times too

By the way it doesn't matter if you sign a midfielder like Kante who has an insane engine the back line still need to be more aggressive than it currently is

For a whole host of reasons:

There is far less pressure on a young player to come through and get minutes at a Benfica or a Sporting than there is at United.

The standard of the Portuguese league is way more forgiving for a young player finding their feet at those clubs.

There are very different rules and regulations for South American or non-European youngsters coming to live and play in Portugal than there are in in the UK. Brexit has complicated that even further

The weather and language in Portugal are far more conducive to young European and South American players settling in and flourishing.

The Portuguese press is in bed with their clubs when it comes to hyping and promoting young talent so as to attract interest abroad. The UK press serves only to build youngsters up so they can tear them down again.

~

It’s not as simple as “just hire Benfica or Sportings” scouts and DOF. They’re playing to a totally different set of rules under very different expectations.
All great points but you do know that us signing these young players does NOT mean they need to start in our premiership games, right?

When we sign them we can loan them to Spain, Italy, Portugal, wherever, and take care of them even better than fecking Benfica does. INEOS already owns Nice, they could buy a Portuguese club, to use for younger talent, if they wanted to, ffs

Our problem is that we don't find enough of these talents, and we don't because we are obsessed by a DOF who loves goddamn Southgate :)

Think it would have to be over £50m for them to break even on FFP wouldn't it?

I dont know but generally, when stories like this are reported, a figure is also reported. Weird in this case.

Varane isn't here.
Martinez didn't play much last season
Dalot is mobile enough yes
AWB isn't good enough in his consistency

The idea is that the backline need to get comfortable with their line higher up the pitch which leaves less space to cover in midfield. Martinez is an aggressive front footed CB as is Brainthwaite

Having a very mobile defensive line would help a lot (which was the main issue last season), but I think you are overstating his mobility issues

We're talking about the mobility of defenders last season here. Nothing else.

Are Varane, Dalot and Wan Bissaka not mobile enough?

You're being willfully silly.

Besides Varane is gone, AWB is seemingly close to gone, and our LBs are injury prone.

We need a RCB, and a potentially a backup RB/LB/LCB.

We're talking about the mobility of defenders last season here. Nothing else.

Last season our backline was mainly Maguire Evans Varane AWB and Dalot, I'll let you decide if there was enough mobility in the backline

So it seems they are open to selling, interesting

They took a lot of the recruitment team from Brighton and regularly sign young players from South American to loan to their sister club Strasborg

Ah right, I thought you were referring to Portugal specifically. I think Jimmy wants/wanted to do this with Nice and Lausanne, but is finding that Manchester United can't really do that. Our scouting operations (from what I gather) are pretty good in South America, but we can't follow through due to the complexity of deals and the fact that multi club ownership becomes a mortal sin when we fancy a go.

Ah right, I thought you were referring to Portugal specifically. I think Jimmy wants/wanted to do this with Nice and Lausanne, but is finding that Manchester United can't really do that. Our scouting operations (from what I gather) are pretty good in South America, but we can't follow through due to the complexity of deals and the fact that multi club ownership becomes a mortal sin when we fancy a go.

Actually the issue is that Jimmy and Ineos have not structured the ownership properly as City and Chelsea have (yet)
Also its very different signing a player and loaning them than signing a player directly from your sister club. Also makes sense not to have your sister club play in the same European competitions (where Chelsea have been smart enough to pick a club at the right level)
I'm sure Jimmy and co will sort it out in time, and in that sense when they do I am all for going after scouting/sporting talent from the Portuguese clubs.

Given Benfica’s demands looks like we’ve swiftly moved on to the next target. We might be better served signing Ugarte and making Amrabat’s move permanent while selling Eriksen and Casemiro. Still gives us room to sign a CB and striker.

After the big saga last summer with us (Chelsea) trying hard to sign him and then PSG coming in at the last moment and blowing our offer out of the water, I swear I saw lots of people on social media towards the end of the season labelling him somewhat of a flop at PSG. Not a disaster by any means but not what they were hoping for.

High volume accurate passer with crazy tackle stats. Sort of what you want to see in your DM. Doesn’t win a lot of aerial duels though, and that’s one big plus Casemiro offers in there.

What kind of player is he in terms of playing style?

Destroyer.

Actually the issue is that Jimmy and Ineos have not structured the ownership properly as City and Chelsea have (yet)
Also its very different signing a player and loaning them than signing a player directly from your sister club. Also makes sense not to have your sister club play in the same European competitions (where Chelsea have been smart enough to pick a club at the right level)
I'm sure Jimmy and co will sort it out in time, and in that sense when they do I am all for going after scouting/sporting talent from the Portuguese clubs.

Fair enough, although I imagine the majority Portuguese clubs would have no interest in such a partnership with us considering how well they're already doing.

High volume accurate passer with crazy tackle stats. Sort of what you want to see in your DM. Doesn’t win a lot of aerial duels though, and that’s one big plus Casemiro offers in there.

I'm not saying he's my preferred pick, but Onana hits all of that criteria when playing for the dominant side plus he wins his aerial duels. Ugarte is the better player, but I just found that interesting.

Fair enough, although I imagine the majority Portuguese clubs would have no interest in such a partnership with us considering how well they're already doing.
Hiring their technical/scouting talents has nothing to do with partnering with Portuguese clubs. Chelsea and Liverpool were looking at Benfica head of scouting recently

Given Benfica’s demands looks like we’ve swiftly moved on to the next target. We might be better served signing Ugarte and making Amrabat’s move permanent while selling Eriksen and Casemiro. Still gives us room to sign a CB and striker.

People will say that's not creative enough

I'm not saying he's my preferred pick, but Onana hits all of that criteria when playing for the dominant side plus he wins his aerial duels. Ugarte is the better player, but I just found that interesting.
Onana is neither a high volume nor an accurate passer though. Absolute monster in aerially, though.

I note you caveat that with “when playing for the dominant side, but his performances for Belgium in dead rubber games don’t really matter. Funnily enough the Euros game they did just lose 1-0 to Slovakia, Onana’s passing accuracy was 84%… the same percentage his FBref is for his past 365 days at Everton(!)

Edit: definitely think Onana should be ‘on the list’, I just think you’ll get swindled by Everton for what he does provide. Alternatives do exist (like Ugarte, say).

Hiring their technical/scouting talents has nothing to do with partnering with Portuguese clubs. Chelsea and Liverpool were looking at Benfica head of scouting recently

Okay, must've been swung by the sister club bit in your previous post. If we're talking staff, I go back to my original point - Portugal is historically a great place for young talent to use as a stepping stone, and we aren't gonna be getting players on the cheap off Jorge Mendes no matter who's making the phone call.

Onana is neither a high volume nor an accurate passer though. Absolute monster in aerially, though.

I note you caveat that with “when playing for the dominant side, but his performances for Belgium in dead rubber games don’t really matter. Funnily enough the Euros game they did just lose 1-0 to Slovakia, Onana’s passing accuracy was 84%… the same percentage his FBref is for his past 365 days at Everton(!)

Edit: definitely think Onana should be ‘on the list’, I just think you’ll get swindled by Everton for what he does provide. Alternatives do exist (like Ugarte, say).

Can't disagree with much in this post. I'll just say that the reason I alluded to his passing stats for Belgium was to balance the poor ones at Everton. We absolutely would get swindled though, and for a player Dyche regularly benches.

Okay, must've been swung by the sister club bit in your previous post. If we're talking staff, I go back to my original point - Portugal is historically a great place for young talent to use as a stepping stone, and we aren't gonna be getting players on the cheap off Jorge Mendes no matter who's making the phone call.

Can't disagree with much in this post. I'll just say that the reason I alluded to his passing stats for Belgium was to balance the poor ones at Everton. We absolutely would get swindled though, and for a player Dyche regularly benches.

Whos form last part of the season probably deserved it

Is he a DM? If so what type of DM? Are there any better known players that people would compare him to stylistically?

I would argue Onana is very athletic, not a world class passer but he will progress the ball well enough. Very hard to get off the ball. He wouldn't be a bad signing. Starter for Belgium as well which is impressive. Haven't seen enough of Ugarte to pass judgement.

Whos form last part of the season probably deserved it

Again, I like him, but you're not wrong. I feel like he might be one of those 'penny drop' players where it suddenly all comes together. But Everton would hardly be letting him go at a gamble price and we don't seem that interested anyway, so it's all academic.

I would argue Onana is very athletic, not a world class passer but he will progress the ball well enough. Very hard to get off the ball. He wouldn't be a bad signing. Starter for Belgium as well which is impressive. Haven't seen enough of Ugarte to pass judgement.

Onana is a bit similar to Rice, but with a lot less ability on the ball. I think he is a good player and if we had more players with good enough ability on the ball I would be all for it. We however struggle with the ball so ability on the ball has to be high on the criteria as well as defensive skills

We might have had this bid rejected, but we seem to have moved past the days of endless - monitoring/preparing/evaluating - briefs.

And also working on multiple targets/positions simultaneously

I like him and pleased to see a link. Not quite sure why he's not particularly fancied by PSG. He'd be a more dynamic version of Amraabat to have in the squad.

All great points but you do know that us signing these young players does NOT mean they need to start in our premiership games, right?

When we sign them we can loan them to Spain, Italy, Portugal, wherever, and take care of them even better than fecking Benfica does. INEOS already owns Nice, they could buy a Portuguese club, to use for younger talent, if they wanted to, ffs

Our problem is that we don't find enough of these talents, and we don't because we are obsessed by a DOF who loves goddamn Southgate :)

We're not obsessed with anything. We went looking for a best in class DOF and he was the one we identified. We made an approach and now we are going through the process of acquiring him from an employer who doesn't want to make it easy.

We don't know that he "loves goddamn Southgate" aside from a few dodgy looking tweets from questionable sources.

He was also the man in the hotseat at Newcastle and Brighton - two English Premier League clubs, when they signed players like Caceido, MacAllister, Isak, Botman, Cucurella, Trossard, Mitoma, Ferguson, Gordon, Lamptey, Livramento and Tonali. If we were in the process of trying to poach a DOF from a Portugese club, 90% of you betwetters would be whining on here about why we weren't going for a Prem proven option like Ashworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.