Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to find, one who is available of the sufficient quality. Fabien Ruiz springs to mind but can't see PSG letting him go.

Elite press resistant, ball carriers from deep midfield are hard to find

That Rios looks like he can carry ball and could be press resistant but not a high volume passer

Last season we played a very high and aggressive press. Problems arose because the defensive line was very deep, meaning once the press was broken, teams were running at our back five almost unimpeded.
That high aggressive press suffered a little bit from only existing in ETH's fevered imagination. Hopefully we will actually see it this season.

I swear, this crusade to belittle players, that played for MU is ridiculous, and it's starting to soak even on here.

Who in their right mind would have declined to have any of those back in the days:
Giggs - "he only had speed".
Beckham - "he could only score from free kicks and had a good pass on him".
Carrick - "he was a level below X and Y, but the excelled in other areas, where X and Y were not that good".
Gary Neville - "was average".

Like, come on...all of those were world class players and a lot of teams would have killed for them to join.
Thats the problem mate, you are putting seriously and consistently world-class with perhaps only one world class season midfielder M. Carrick, he was great for us, but his defensive work is overrated and top passing range really ever shown only in his last season.

If there was a Carrick in the market, he would probably be expensive, but definitely not what we need now. A player good on the ball when he got time but lacking any mobility. Mainoo on the other hand is much more press resistant despite lacking the top level passing range, but thats more suited for the football today, and what we got now.

But back to your original point putting giggs, becks, and carrick in one sentence is reall insult to the former two. Carrick was just a great payer playing next to the team full of world class players. Put Herrera or Fred in there and they would have a great career too.

Thats the problem mate, you are putting seriously and consistently world-class with perhaps only one world class season midfielder M. Carrick, he was great for us, but his defensive work is overrated and top passing range really ever shown only in his last season.

If there was a Carrick in the market, he would probably be expensive, but definitely not what we need now. A player good on the ball when he got time but lacking any mobility. Mainoo on the other hand is much more press resistant despite lacking the top level passing range, but thats more suited for the football today, and what we got now.

But back to your original point putting giggs, becks, and carrick in one sentence is reall insult to the former two. Carrick was just a great payer playing next to the team full of world class players. Put Herrera or Fred in there and they would have a great career too.
That’s not the problem. The problem is people who have some sort of objectivist view on eternally indefinable terms like ‘world class player’, and then spend time devaluing players to defend that fiction.

Like most players starting regularily in one of the 1-2 beat teams in the world in their era, Michael Carrick had world class attributes, and weaknesses that are really only weaknesses at an elite level. These have to match up to a coach, a system and a collective, and Carrick’s did so as to make him a world class performer - as in a key player for one of the world’s best teams - from 2005 to 2013.

Xavi and Iniesta should thank their lucky stars for not breaking through at Burnley under Dyche and bought to play for Mourinho during their prime. And by the way - I’m not comparing the quality levels of Xavi and Iniesta to Carrick.

Good link - snippet of article below, not whole thing. People who complain he's not what we need or we need a DLP don't understand what he brings, he's exactly whet we need in our midfield. Also I'm wondering if they might end up keeping casemiro and playing him and Ugarte as anl double pivot. Means we can give Mainoo the rest he needs when he needs it.

"...Manuel Ugarte's total of 98 tackles was the highest by anyone in Ligue 1 last season; and he managed it despite starting only 21 games out of 34, for a team, in Paris Saint-Germain, who spent roughly 66 per cent of the time in possession.

The numbers underline his remarkable ball-winning prowess and they were even higher in his final campaign at previous club Sporting CP, during which the Uruguay international racked up 121 tackles in 31 games, the most by any player in Portugal's Primeira Liga.

Across the two seasons, there is only one player in Europe's major leagues who has averaged more tackles per 90 minutes and that is Joao Palhinha, the man Ugarte helped to replace in Sporting's midfield before earning his £51m move to PSG last summer...."

He played some delicious lofted passes during the Copa so I'm not that surprised re long passes stats. His passing consistency is definitely inferior though hence why his job is to play the simple pass for the other PSG midfielders to dictate play.

Wish they'd also include the ball carry and # of times fouled stats as Ugarte seems the sort to wriggle his way out of a press and storm forward or draw a foul.

Trail on this has gone ice cold and now that sinking feeling is setting in. Sigh.

How do you complete half a take-on, with a 70% success rate. Did he attempt 0.7 take-ons?

Daftness aside, Ugarte's stats don't look bad, in a lower level league though.

Trail on this has gone ice cold and now that sinking feeling is setting in. Sigh.

PSG is asking very high prices for someone who doesn't suit their style of play. As a competent club with proper football structure now, it's right to look for alternative unless PSG willing to back down.

It's still on because rumours PSG is interested in Sancho. Finger crossed

How do you complete half a take-on, with a 70% success rate. Did he attempt 0.7 take-ons?

Daftness aside, Ugarte's stats don't look bad, in a lower level league though.
Half a take-on over 31 games would be 15 or 16 take-ons and 70% success about 11.

Never understood this pining for players that we may/ haven’t signed. Support the players we have signed and move on. If he signs great, he looks a decent ball winner who might help us tighten up on the break. If he doesn’t there is always someone else.

What does make sense is a €50m purchase of Ugarte and a €50m sale to Sancho to PSG to aid cooking the books.

Why cant we put Sancho in the mix for this deal? win-win in my opinion and sort out the other details of course with any extra addons on price.
I don’t know if this is true but apparently bookies stopped taking bets on Sancho to PSG? So maybe there’s something to it

PSG is asking very high prices for someone who doesn't suit their style of play. As a competent club with proper football structure now, it's right to look for alternative unless PSG willing to back down.

It's still on because rumours PSG is interested in Sancho. Finger crossed
The thing is we haven’t been linked to any other midfielder. We’ve only been linked to certain players and so far we’ve got all our targets we wanted.

The thing is we haven’t been linked to any other midfielder. We’ve only been linked to certain players and so far we’ve got all our targets we wanted.

Yeah there have been names mentioned but nothing really concrete on anyone else

Cheers! I'm surprised and slightly concerned by his 58% success rate for take-ons considering his passing consistency (for more difficult passes). I guess the Copa is an easier competition than Ligue 1.

Definitely a water carrier DM in the Casemiro mould. If that's the DM profile we are looking for, he'd be a great addition. His defensive stats are insane and certainly passes the eye test, and he's better on the ball IMHO. Concerns about our ball retention in a midfield trio of Mainoo, Ugarte and Bruno are valid.

Would love it if he goes.

Im done with the player to be honest.
Yeah get him gone. Best for everyone. I don't think he's particularly good either, you'll get the odd flash of brilliance from him but far from consistent.

Cheers! I'm surprised and slightly concerned by his 58% success rate for take-ons considering his passing consistency (for more difficult passes). I guess the Copa is an easier competition than Ligue 1.

Definitely a water carrier DM in the Casemiro mould. If that's the DM profile we are looking for, he'd be a great addition. His defensive stats are insane and certainly passes the eye test, and he's better on the ball IMHO. Concerns about our ball retention in a midfield trio of Mainoo, Ugarte and Bruno are valid.

Yeah ideally we sign someone who is capable of ball retention too, however doesn't seem to be high priority in this window unfortunately

He would thrive more in a tiki taka possession based tactic like Luis Enrique`s at PSG, so makes sense i think.
Yeah, some players can pretty much perform well anywhere. Others very much depend on the right role / system.

This does sound like a situation where two perfectly decent - but limited - players aren't suited to their current managers style (and the PL's pace in Sancho's case) but would be decent additions for the system of the other club.

Hopefully both deals go through as it would seem to be one that could suit all parties.

Yeah, some players can pretty much perform well anywhere. Others very much depend on the right role / system.

This does sound like a situation where two perfectly decent - but limited - players aren't suited to their current managers style (and the PL's pace in Sancho's case) but would be decent additions for the system of the other club.

Hopefully both deals go through as it would seem to be one that could suit all parties.
Well put mate, agree 100%.

We could sign Amrabat considering we have found an effective way to use him similar to the FA Cup final vs City. We could also keep Casemeiro. Both of them can play DM. Hopefully there will be another alternative soon if PSG insist on the asking price.

We could sign Amrabat considering we have found an effective way to use him similar to the FA Cup final vs City. We could also keep Casemeiro. Both of them can play DM. Hopefully there will be another alternative soon if PSG insist on the asking price.
True. I wouldn’t be against keeping Casemiro if he can get back to his first season form but I still think we need another DM to maybe rotate with him. He hasn’t got the legs for 2 games a week or even for a full 90 minutes nowadays. His passing can sometimes be useful though.

True. I wouldn’t be against keeping Casemiro if he can get back to his first season form but I still think we need another DM to maybe rotate with him. He hasn’t got the legs for 2 games a week or even for a full 90 minutes nowadays. His passing can sometimes be useful though.
We are also link to Rabiot. However, I think Ugarte is the best option if we can get a reasonable price from PSG.

It's gone a bit cold, this one. Would be very happy when it goes through and even happier if it's a swap with Sancho going the other way. That way we should still use the Casemiro money to look for another DLP (which could also wait till next year)

The more I watch of ugarte, more I feel he's the one we need. The bite and tenacity in midfield, coupled with his ability to cover ground and ball winning will make a huge difference to us in terms of quick transitions.

It's gone a bit cold, this one. Would be very happy when it goes through and even happier if it's a swap with Sancho going the other way. That way we should still use the Casemiro money to look for another DLP (which could also wait till next year)

The more I watch of ugarte, more I feel he's the one we need. The bite and tenacity in midfield, coupled with his ability to cover ground and ball winning will make a huge difference to us in terms of quick transitions.

Captain material too. Warrior player. I think he’d be a massive fan favourite once he starts clocking opposition players. Stopping them from setting the tempo and winning the midfield is huge. It takes the sting out of their game and limits them to counters which then also leaves them exposed. Get it done!

Status
Not open for further replies.