Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, I like Bruno but Mainoo should be the Iniesta not the Xavi, put Mainoo as the furthest of the 3 and play two other midfielders with him. That's when we will be truly balanced. A Mainoo Ugarte and Zubimendi midfield would be ridiculous or players of that type. For now Bruno ain't leaving so we have to work around the imbalance.
Mainoo doesn't create as much Bruno creates, and we will be back to 5 years ago (LVG) when we had a lot of possession and no chance creation. Maybe is time to change to 4222? No more wingers? Let's Garnacho play on top with Hojlund.

PSG want more money for Ugarte than they paid for him last year, while wanting to get rid of him. Pricks.

Umm Pogba was a world class passer
Yes he was but I'm talking more in the sense of how he preferred to progress the ball. He didn't like being deployed deep because he lacked the positional discipline. He was at his best when played further forward where he could carry the ball and taking on opposition players.

That's why I mentioned in terms of ball progression profile. Not as an overall player.

Maybe I'm wrong here but Xavi was one of the best playmakers ever & his passing was much more short passing and moving and passing again.

Xavi didn't dictate the play like a deep lying playmaker as seen it was Xabi Alonso playing this way for Spain. Pirlo is another deep lying playmaker aswell as Carrick.

Whilst Mainoo is not a deep lying playmaker, i don't see why he cant be like Xavi where he dictates the tempo of the team with more short passes and dribbles. Another player Mainoo could play similair is Modric more so than playing like Kroos.

I've seen a recent youtube video about how english club fans don't tend to rate the number 6 role that highly & i can kind of see it with people wandering if Ugarte is better than Zubimendi or even that players like Declan Rice are overrated because they dont pass the ball like Kroos.

I think these players are actually underrated as the number 6 role to alot of English club fans is undervalued & under appreciated which makes people believe they are overrated players.
Xavi probably dictated play more than any player has.

I personally especially remember Xavi at a young age because i remember him actually being put out for transfers because he was not that good. Then in the Rijkaard/Pep era; especially under Pep's coaching he suddenly became this legendary player we call as Xavi today.

I'm by no means saying that Mainoo is going to be better than Xavi at his peak but i do believe Mainoo as a young player is better than Xavi when he was younger. Can you imagine what Mainoo under the coaching of Guardiola's possesion tactics and teams would play like? He would be amazing & a high chance he could turn just as legendary with arguably one of the best managers of all times coaching & tactics.

Modric was not even in the PL at Mainoo's age as far as i remember & looked good at Spurs but also took time to settle in & grow to his Real Madrid standard.

Mainoo has only had his first season for United & even England and has been playing very well already for both these teams.

He is 18 & will slow down and keep his game smooth and at a recycling type of pace as he ages in my opinion.
I completely agree but there are far more midfielders who looked good young and did nothing.

When you splash the cash on Yoro it’s going to make headlines and cause every club to inflate their asking prices too!

United need to get flogging some more squad players to raise some cash.

For 70M euros or roundabouts, we can get Neves. He would be the perfect Bruno replacement tbh. Not one for one, but in terms of midfield balance :

-----Ugarte/Dm
Neves----Mainoo

Sadly never gonna happen

But it would be Ugarte or Neves though. The club only wants a CDM and people are discussing Ugarte or the alternative and you put them both in the same line up.

Real Madrid doesn't play possession football but they are a top team.
The idea that we can only be a top team by possession football is not based on reality but the preference of some fans.
This is just patently untrue. Real Madrid averaged 59.2% possession per game last season in Spain. Only Barcelona managed more.

For comparison, we averaged 50.6% - tied with Fulham - and lower than 8 other teams in the Premier League.

The idea that a "top team" can be a "top team" without averaging a lot more of the ball than their opponents is just not correct.

People say we’re a graveyard for talent but PSG haven’t exactly improved anyone they’ve bought either. Not sure why they think their players are worth those fees

If they're really stubborn over that valuation then why not look elsewhere in the league and go for Fofana at less than half P$G's valuation for Ugarte?

People say we’re a graveyard for talent but PSG haven’t exactly improved anyone they’ve bought either. Not sure why they think their players are worth those fees
In a sense they are not entirely dissimilar issues as MU : Overpaid for some talent, gave out massive wages, renewed players unwisely (Kurzawa was the most surprised to get a 4 year extension with PSG level wages...), signed older players that didn't deliver, have a bunch of deadwood laying around. They fixed some of that starting last season (they bought younger and more coherently with squad needs) but I think they play hardball to partly correct their image as a cash cow. That and NAK certainly has an insecure streak with appearing weak (see Mbappé feud, Verratti being unceremoniously shipped for ransom in a Gulf club).

Ugarte value on their books for a transfer should be at 48m€ (40m£) for FFP. I'd go no higher than that (excluding add-ons). Unless they're really interested in Sancho and a two-way transfer means there's only 20m€ or so being paid in total.

They've been hurt maybe Mbappe left for free and they're trying to earn some crazy money for Simons and Ugarte. Just walk away they can keep both even they want them out. It'll hurt them even more. Zubimendi, Fofana or another player to bring in. Delighted we can switch options and stop overpay ffs.

Umm Pogba was a world class passer

He could make world class passes, but was not a “world class passer” IMO. If he had been that, he’d have been a lot more useful for us.

While we’re on Carrick, I remember that BBC commentator, Darren Fletcher, often used to say he didn’t rate Carrick: What an absolute plonker. - I would love to have someone like Carrick playing for us now.

Yes he was but I'm talking more in the sense of how he preferred to progress the ball. He didn't like being deployed deep because he lacked the positional discipline. He was at his best when played further forward where he could carry the ball and taking on opposition players.

That's why I mentioned in terms of ball progression profile. Not as an overall player.

Ahh understood. Yeah agree

He could make world class passes, but was not a “world class passer” IMO. If he had been that, he’d have been a lot more useful for us.

While we’re on Carrick, I remember that BBC commentator, Darren Fletcher, often used to say he didn’t rate Carrick: What an absolute plonker. - I would love to have someone like Carrick playing for us now.

He was a world class passer, just go back and watch any standard United/France game from those years or look at his passing stats off FBref.

The issue with Pogba was always that he was misprofiled as some box to box or DM type player when he never was that. Doesn't matter, this thread is about Ugarte

If they're really stubborn over that valuation then why not look elsewhere in the league and go for Fofana at less than half P$G's valuation for Ugarte?
Seems like that's what club's trying to do atm, looking at Fofana and Zubimendi. But still hope we get Ugarte and same for de Ligt and negotations with Bayern.

When you splash the cash on Yoro it’s going to make headlines and cause every club to inflate their asking prices too!

United need to get flogging some more squad players to raise some cash.

Yeah we desperately need sales for signings

There some players who are special talents you stretch your budget for. Ugarte does not appear to be such a player. Especially given who the selling club is, we need to stay firm on our own evaluation of the player's worth, even if it means taking this one right down to the wire on the transfer deadline day.

Who are the Benfica supporters on here, or the really knowledgeable posters of Portuguese football? Curious to know whether they think Florentino Luis is better, seems similar in terms of defensive output (maybe better there, certainly in the air)? Has been linked recently with Everton and Villa, last year he was linked to both City and Barca.

I think Benfica value him at 35m euros.

There some players who are special talents you stretch your budget for. Ugarte does not appear to be such a player. Especially given who the selling club is, we need to stay firm on our own evaluation of the player's worth, even if it means taking this one right down to the wire on the transfer deadline day.

I would be absolutely staggered if INEOS would ever entertain letting this stretch out until deadline. Could easily see them switching to Fofana if they aren't prepared to reach compromise

If they are holding out for €70m then stick a fork in this one. Its done. On to the next target.

Describe what you mean by a "passer" when you say Kobbie is not folks. Do you mean a high volume passer?

Describe what you mean by a "passer" when you say Kobbie is not folks. Do you mean a high volume passer?
Yeah I'm not seeing the issue. Mainoo looks like a normal, proper centre midfielder to me and is obviously a silky, gifted playmaker who's strength is progressing the play. He is not primarily in need of a passer next to him and using him alongside two deeper midfielders and tasking him with playing between the lines does him no favours.

€70m is laughable considering they want to get rid of him. A straight swap for Sancho would be a fair deal.

Happy that we are being patient here. Loving the lack of panic in our dealings recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.