Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does make me wonder how much Carrick go for in today's market, considering Rice went for 100M. I stand by my view that he's still criminally underrated by most football fans.

Carrick has been called underrated so often that it loses it's meaning.
Anyone who watched him regularly knew how good he was. Probably only Busquets was the only player of his position in the world that was better than him.

I would say he was under utilised by England.

Anyone who watched him regularly knew how good he was. Probably only Busquets was the only player of his position in the world that was better than him.

Within my social circle of non-United fans he's definitely still underrated.

Carrick came into his prime in his later years. A 25 year old Carrick is worth 100M+ in today's market(if Rice/Caicedo are the standard).

Frustrating as it is think we will have to wait until next summer for that high volume forward passer
How ridiculous is it that after obsessing over Frenkie De Jong, 2 years have passed and we've been unable to identify any player with any similarities in terms of attributes.

How ridiculous is it that after obsessing over Frenkie De Jong, 2 years have passed and we've been unable to identify any player with any similarities in terms of attributes.

Yeah totally ridiculous,hopefully that might change with football people now in charge of recruitment

He’s not a complete player either but Ugarte would suit us better right now. Get Ugarte this summer and go for Wharton next summer.

I hope we sign him, however if we are waiting for Wharton then what happens about controlling tempo in games this season would be my concern

I hope we sign him, however if we are waiting for Wharton then what happens about controlling tempo in games this season would be my concern
I’m more worried about teams cutting us open again and again without a proper DM and less worried about controlling games, that’s a structural issue. Also, a single player won’t help us in controlling games plus that type of player isn’t there. Get a proper DM like Ugarte right now to stop that glaring hole in the midfield.

Mainoo has that slot in the team now though so I expect we're less focused on it because of that

He's a kid, and we need 6 first team midfielders.

Eriksen, Casemiro and Mctominay should all be out the door.

sure but it's logical there is less focus on that position because we now have one player in that mould, instead of none

especially with other areas of the first 11 in need of upgrades

Would take Ugarte, but would also take Youssef Fofana so welcome today's links to him.

Fofana, Onana and Neves were my top 3 ideal CDM targets for this summer. Onana is off to Aston Villa. So still hoping it's Fofana/Neves. Ugarte wouldn't be a bad option either though.

Within my social circle of non-United fans he's definitely still underrated.

I think the problem was that he was compared to Lampard, Gerard, Keane, Scholes etc...
But really he wasn't like any of them. His peer was Busquets.
He was extremely clever player with good technical skills.

I think Zubimendi is overrated by a lot of people this year. Physically I don't think he's up to it for the Premier League.

When I saw Rodri at Atletico you could see he was tailor made for the Premier League. Zubimendi isn't anywhere near the potential, he's a good jack of all trades but can see why the big clubs haven't looked to spend big money on him yet.

Fofana/Ugarte/Onana/Neves all should be above him for us.

Ugarte and Fofana be a huge step up on what we currently have.

If we can sell Scott for 20 Million and sign Fofana it's a no brainer.

I think we will close out the Ugarte deal as well.

Need to move on Scott, Eriksen and Casemeiro.

Mainoo has that slot in the team now though so I expect we're less focused on it because of that
We can't expect Mainoo to consistently perform at these levels through a full second season. He's a gem, but we can't play him every single game or it could potentially ruin him in the long run.

I think Zubimendi is overrated by a lot of people this year. Physically I don't think he's up to it for the Premier League.

When I saw Rodri at Atletico you could see he was tailor made for the Premier League. Zubimendi isn't anywhere near the potential, he's a good jack of all trades but can see why the big clubs haven't looked to spend big money on him yet.

Fofana/Ugarte/Onana/Neves all should be above him for us.

Barcelona has been interested in signing Zubimendi for years, he was Xavi's primary target when he came in as manager and the player first identified as the desired heir to Busquets. Arsenal has also been very interested in Zubimendi for a long time. He is one of the few midfielders around who really seems to have the passing skills and positional sense to play the pivot 6 for a positional play team. He isn't a jack-of-all trades at all - he's got a very rare skill set that managers who play this styel of football greatly value, like a Jorginho. That profile is very rare, much more so than a destroyer like Ugarte or an all action 8.

There have been several obstacles to these deals, including Barcelona's finances and Arsenal probably not signing another pivot six unless they can sell Partey. But by many accounts Zubimendi simply doesn't want to leave Real Sociedad. I haven't seen any real indication that this has changed.

We can't expect Mainoo to consistently perform at these levels through a full second season. He's a gem, but we can't play him every single game or it could potentially ruin him in the long run.

I agree and I never said otherwise

just that it makes sense there is less focus on that position now that we have him performing well there

We are overrating Carrick at this point:

He was not close to Busquets and he had some glaring weaknesses.

1) His mobility, whilst not bad, was not at the top level. This was fine most of the time but he sometimes had bad games in big matches because of this

2) His press resistance left a lot to be desired.

That's why he falls short of the top tier of the best midfielders in that position.

Barcelona has been interested in signing Zubimendi for years, he was Xavi's primary target when he came in as manager and the player first identified as the desired heir to Busquets. Arsenal has also been very interested in Zubimendi for a long time. He is one of the few midfielders around who really seems to have the passing skills and positional sense to play the pivot 6 for a positional play team. He isn't a jack-of-all trades at all - he's got a very rare skill set that managers who play this styel of football greatly value, like a Jorginho. That profile is very rare, much more so than a destroyer like Ugarte or an all action 8.

There have been several obstacles to these deals, including Barcelona's finances and Arsenal probably not signing another pivot six unless they can sell Partey. But by many accounts Zubimendi simply doesn't want to leave Real Sociedad. I haven't seen any real indication that this has changed.
Money talks. Everyone wants a player for free.... Yet No1 has actually stumped up the cash to go and get him. I'm saying there's a reason why. Those teams found the money for other signings instead.

This is what I also believe and if we’re going to keep Casemiro then I think Ugarte and Rabiot should be brought in so we have Ugarte/Casemiro/Collyer, Mainoo/Rabiot and Fernandes/Mount with McTominay and Eriksen both being moved on.

Money talks. Everyone wants a player for free.... Yet No1 has actually stumped up the cash to go and get him. I'm saying there's a reason why. Those teams found the money for other signings instead.

Barcelona wanted Zubimendi badly last summer but couldn't afford him. They bought Romeu for 3m euro and signed Gundogan on a free instead. Its not clear that Zubimendi wanted the move - again, he really hasn't shown an indication of wanting to leave Real Sociedad - but if you think big clubs haven't wanted to sign him you are just flat wrong.

Are we actually still looking for that type of player? Seems like we've switched profiles and I recall some comment ETH himself made that suggested he was no longer interested in that type of player.

This is what I also believe and if we’re going to keep Casemiro then I think Ugarte and Rabiot should be brought in so we have Ugarte/Casemiro/Collyer, Mainoo/Rabiot and Fernandes/Mount with McTominay and Eriksen both being moved on.

Honestly think Rabiot interest is dead in water which I know will be music to ears of many in the CAF

Honestly think Rabiot interest is dead in water which I know will be music to ears of many in the CAF
A lot of talk about us being in for Rios from Palmeiras so maybe that’s who we’d be looking at instead of Rabiot but either way I’d still bring in Ugarte plus one whether it be Rabiot or Rios.

A lot of talk about us being in for Rios from Palmeiras so maybe that’s who we’d be looking at instead of Rabiot but either way I’d still bring in Ugarte plus one whether it be Rabiot or Rios.

Romano said apparently scouts were only looking at him in Copa America but nothing further so far

We aren't looking for that player because we are developing him in Mainoo. Mainoo has the natural awareness to know where to move in space to get on the ball, he has the elite press resistance, and the ability to carry the ball through the lines. He has to grow to increase his amount of involvement and get more expansive passing sure, but the targets have changed because of Mainoo and now you want to find the ideal partner for him (which for our team currently is a team who is an aggressive ball winning midfielder).

Is this even a legit story? Not sure I’m buying the whole personal terms thing, they’ve been saying this for days.
Is there any actual evidence that Utd have made a bid?

Are we actually still looking for that type of player? Seems like we've switched profiles and I recall some comment ETH himself made that suggested he was no longer interested in that type of player.

Yeah it certainly feels like we have moved away from that profile of midfielder since De Jong saga

I think the problem was that he was compared to Lampard, Gerard, Keane, Scholes etc...
But really he wasn't like any of them. His peer was Busquets.
He was extremely clever player with good technical skills.

I love Carrick as much as anyone else but there was a period of time when we were saying he wasn't as press resistant as the likes of Busquets and Pirlo were, which I agreed with. He was a bit below their level. He wasn't below the levels of the likes of Lampard and Gerrard. Even though there were aspects of the game those two were much better at Carrick was, Carrick also excelled at other things those two didn't do so well in.

Is this even a legit story? Not sure I’m buying the whole personal terms thing, they’ve been saying this for days.
Is there any actual evidence that Utd have made a bid?

There's hardly ever really any actual evidence, but personal terms agreed coming from Romano is usually pretty credible. Yoro was reported to have agreed personal terms before a bid I think

I also think it is probably on because we are desperate for at least one midfielder and this link has the most smoke. If not Ugarte, who are we targeting?

I agree and I never said otherwise

just that it makes sense there is less focus on that position now that we have him performing well there
Yeah that's fair, I do still think we need reinforcements in this area in terms of a ball playing midfielder rather than someone with more physicality.

I swear, this crusade to belittle players, that played for MU is ridiculous, and it's starting to soak even on here.

Who in their right mind would have declined to have any of those back in the days:
Giggs - "he only had speed".
Beckham - "he could only score from free kicks and had a good pass on him".
Carrick - "he was a level below X and Y, but the excelled in other areas, where X and Y were not that good".
Gary Neville - "was average".

Like, come on...all of those were world class players and a lot of teams would have killed for them to join.

Also Alonso. In both cases, significantly better than him.

But he was probably the best of the rest, and it was a crime that he didn't start for that very unbalanced England. Especially with Barry starting who wasn't half the player Carrick was.

Also Alonso. In both cases, significantly better than him.

But he was probably the best of the rest, and it was a crime that he didn't start for that very unbalanced England. Especially with Barry starting who wasn't half the player Carrick was.
Interested to hear why you feel Alonso was significantly better than Carrick?

Carrick would and should have been a vital cog in the England midfield but, for some reason or other, was either overlooked or didn't suit international football even though it feels like it should have suited him perfectly.

Hard to find, one who is available of the sufficient quality. Fabien Ruiz springs to mind but can't see PSG letting him go.

Elite press resistant, ball carriers from deep midfield are hard to find

Yeah that's fair, I do still think we need reinforcements in this area in terms of a ball playing midfielder rather than someone with more physicality.

Yeah 100%. Our midfield is basically a shit-show and has been for ages. Eriksen and Casemiro need to be put out to pasture. McTominay, whilst useful as an impact sub to cause havoc, doesn't have the ability on the ball to play the way we prefer. Mount has done nothing so far.

Any midfielder we bring in needs to be levels above McT on the ball. We need ballers in there.

But they won't be. When did we last sell or let go of not 1 or 2... but 4 first team players from vaguely the same position, in 1 window? You don't change 4 out of 7 midfielders in one window. Change is almost always, more gradual than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.