Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving for Neves now, even if it stretches our budget and means missing out on filling a position elsewhere, would send a good message to clubs like PSG that they need to behave themselves.

Wasn't Lindelof a big hit down there? Let's try and use him in the deal. We can sub some of his wages if necessary.

Yeah it really would but with PSG sniffing around need to make some very quick sales

How would you feel if we lined up with Mount, Rabiot and Casemiro for 2,3 matches?
Doubt we’d see all three together unless it’s a League Cup game against a lower league team, but on the off chance they’d be starting together I’d feel more comfortable with the h squad midfield than I’ve been in who knows how long.

It’s clear they need to sell him to sign Neves and we’ve got them by the short and curlies because of it.

Expect another team to suddenly show interest in the next few days…
Exactly as I predicted :lol:

They know we hold the cards so these mystery clubs are a desperate attempt to gain some control. It was so predictable this would be leaked.

How would that work when Benfica want €100-€120mil for Neves?

Ugarte hasn't had a poor season, he just doesn't fit with the football style Luis Enrique wants to implement.

We aren't the only club with interest in him, they aren't going to take a big loss on him, so it will probably end up being around his original purchase price of €60mil for the deal.

It would work with the rest of our budget. Presumably we dont have exactly £59 million pounds that PSG apparently want for Ugarte. So take that money and put it with the rest towards a bid. If thats more than PSG are working with thats pretty good because clearly they dont have it.

I loved him, so maybe I'm biased :lol:. I think Ugarte is more combative and better defensively than Ander. Ander had a better passing range/goal threat. I'd take an Ander clone in a heartbeat!

Thats awesome! :D

Just making sure you were one of the posters who did enjoy what he brought to the team, especially the high pressing part because its something that a number of posters downplayed because his tackles werent all right in front of the defence like the traditional sitting DM

He absolutely does for Manchester United. He and Martinez.
He averages 35 passes per game and simply doesn't have the ball enough to control the game's tempo. He's a wonderful player with many talents but controlling the game simply isn't one of them... yet? Manchester United as a whole doesn't know how to control the tempo. The closest players that we've had to a "controlling" type last season were Eriksen (whose legs are completely gone and he's not good enough to be able to play at a walking pace) and Amrabat (who just isn't good enough, but he was useful in some games because of his ability to slow things down and recycle possession).

gotcha....not sure casemiro or eriksen have this broad range of passing

just look at the top teams midfielders....rice, not a massive passing range.....rodri, not a massive passing range....enzo, not a massive passing range....now they might have it but in they way they play as a team it's not often utilized

Ugarte i see more like a rodri type player who wants to break up play and progressive the ball forward to those who have the skill set and are tasked to be the creative sort
Given Ten Hag’s, well, unusual tactics of a deeper back line which causes large gaps in the midfield, maybe we need a DM that covers a lot of space. I’d be willing to sacrifice some playmaking if we can reduce shots on goal from an average of 7 billion per match down to, say 9 or 10.

He averages 35 passes per game and simply doesn't have the ball enough to control the game's tempo. He's a wonderful player with many talents but controlling the game simply isn't one of them... yet? Manchester United as a whole doesn't know how to control the tempo. The closest players that we've had to a "controlling" type last season were Eriksen (whose legs are completely gone and he's not good enough to be able to play at a walking pace) and Amrabat (who just isn't good enough, but he was useful in some games because of his ability to slow things down and recycle possession).

It's something you learn with age, no? I think he has the tools and time to be taught how to do it if the club moves in that direction.

It's interesting, for sure. We are a team who lacks both physicality & the ability to hold on to the ball well, when under pressure. Ideally, it seems all the available "6's" in the market come across as one or the other (think Ugarte versus someone like Zubimendi). Mainoo himself, doesn't seem to be able to cover the ground as quickly on transition.

I won't claim to be too clued up on much outside of United, so I am wondering if there are a few players at the right level who could provide both attributes in that 6 position? Alternatively, Mainoo would need to develop his game - he's already fairly brilliant at holding the ball under pressure/short passing game/link up play etc. but he'd need develop his longer game if we were to sign more of a destroyer type like Ugarte.

I kinda dont want to suggest him because he's so important to Valencia's project, but... Pepelu who they signed last summer is their best player and better than Zubimendi

Same height as Casemiro, all 7 of his goals came from the penalty spot but you can rest assured he's going to convert, his extra key passes over Zubimendi come from crossing and corners. So he has set pieces covered

I see him much different than Amrabat. Amrabat doesn't have pace or agility.. He is a slow, cumbersome and has a mediocre passing range. He'll be okay if we want to back to the wall football and defend for our lives for most of the game.

Whereas this guy doesn't seem to have many issues with agility. He is a terrier type who can run all day and harry the opposition. He looks like a safe passer too. Given that ETH wants to play counter-attacking (Transition as he calls it) football, he would be an okay option. However, I feel with a midfield of Mainoo and him we would still lack the vision and passing from the deep to unlock deep defenses. Also, the ability to control the tempo of the game.
Sounds like Kante in style. How does his quality compare?

Exactly as I predicted :lol:

They know we hold the cards so these mystery clubs are a desperate attempt to gain some control. It was so predictable this would be leaked.
They could've gone with more PL clubs, no one's going to believe Italian or Spanish clubs will pay them 70m.

Thats awesome! :D

Just making sure you were one of the posters who did enjoy what he brought to the team, especially the high pressing part because its something that a number of posters downplayed because his tackles werent all right in front of the defence like the traditional sitting DM
Definitely, he was great. I think he was severely underrated and we've not had a CM with his combined quality for a while. I think Ugarte shares some of those aspects of what Herrera was good at.

Also good to hear your thoughts on Pepelu, I saw him whilst watching a game for Javi Guerra and came away far more impressed with Pepelu.

They could've gone with more PL clubs, no one's going to believe Italian or Spanish clubs will pay them 70m.

Exactly, even at the moment there are very few PL clubs that can afford that, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea - Only Liverpool makes sense stylistically and they seem happy with their midfield options right now.

Who really needs Ugarte besides us? The only ones I can think of are Liverpool, maybe. If they're not interested then PSG are fecked. They need the money for Neves and we shouldn't overpay.

edit: @Stobzilla well, you and I, sir, are in agreement

Regarding the on the ball quality - those progressive pass stats posted above were awful. Is he at least better on the ball than someone like McTominay (ignoring goals)? Any player you’d compare him to in this regard?

I disagree. He absolutely does. You don't have to sit deep to control tempo and he does it very well. He is the only one in the team that knows when to slow down and when to pick up the pace of ball movement. That is tempo control.
He doesn't at all. Dictating play isn't just playing faster or slower.

I mean please name one player available that brings all of that while also being able to cope defensively/physically and is available.

People keep mentioning how we need some Kroos-esque tempo setter but there's a reason those players are almost impossible to find. Wharton is probably the only one close and Palace isn't selling him at this point.

I don't really know what "available" means.

I'm sure we could get Wharton if we wanted. Zubimendi has been mentioned, apparently he doesn't want to move to the Prem but apparently Yoro wanted to move to Madrid.

Caqueret is another who has been mentioned as has Pepelu from Valencia. If PSG are set on Neves and need someone to help them fund it then Ruiz would be better for us.

Lots of players out there.

Definitely, he was great. I think he was severely underrated and we've not had a CM with his combined quality for a while. I think Ugarte shares some of those aspects of what Herrera was good at.

Also good to hear your thoughts on Pepelu, I saw him whilst watching a game for Javi Guerra and came away far more impressed with Pepelu.

Yeah I'm not surprised. Guerra at this point is mostly good for supporting and maybe getting a goal, he got a couple from outside the box last season so thats good. But Pepelu is a lot more impressive with the ball and winning it, but obviously he's older at 25.

Maybe Guerra gets there one day but for now him and Guilliamon work to get on the ball and pass it around a lot more than Guerra and Pepelu wins the ball more. Guerra does win the ball more than Guillamon which is a bit dissappointing because Guillamon came through as a CB before being moved into midfield. Now he's a bit lazy defensively and mostly just recycles and keeps possession.

I'd like us to sign Ugarte but certainly not at any cost. I can't imagine there are many (any?) clubs out there who would be prepared to pay more than us anyway. We can afford to call PSG's bluff on this one.

Yeah I'm not surprised. Guerra at this point is mostly good for supporting and maybe getting a goal, he got a couple from outside the box last season so thats good. But Pepelu is a lot more impressive with the ball and winning it, but obviously he's older at 25.

Maybe Guerra gets there one day but for now him and Guilliamon work to get on the ball and pass it around a lot more than Guerra and Pepelu wins the ball more. Guerra does win the ball more than Guillamon which is a bit dissappointing because Guillamon came through as a CB before being moved into midfield. Now he's a bit lazy defensively and mostly just recycles and keeps possession.
Yeah he strikes me as almost an wide attacking CM in a 3, who will drive you up the pitch with his directness and dribbling, but a bit erratic in his defending.

Valencia had a load of young players playing this year, was nice to see them with a few more prospects.

It's something you learn with age, no? I think he has the tools and time to be taught how to do it if the club moves in that direction.
Oh, very much so. He just doesn't do that yet. He seems like a very smart player who has the required vision & technique so if we develop him correctly he'll hopefully significantly improve in that aspect (even though I think that he's going to end up as an Iniesta/Modrić kind of player as opposed to someone like Xavi/Kroos).

He absolutely does for Manchester United. He and Martinez.
Mainoo is a moments player at the current stage of his career. Just about everything he does is done with a lot of quality, but he doesn't get involved anywhere near enough to be classed as a player who is dictating anything. Bruno is the one who dictates things for us (which is unfortunate as his attitude of always playing at such a high tempo and trying to force things then pervades the entire team) along with Martinez.

There were a few more signs of it in the games when Mainoo was playing as a #6 last season when he was generally getting more involved, but even then he wasn't really controlling anything.

It would work with the rest of our budget. Presumably we dont have exactly £59 million pounds that PSG apparently want for Ugarte. So take that money and put it with the rest towards a bid. If thats more than PSG are working with thats pretty good because clearly they dont have it.
We already went in for João Neves at start of window and got rebuffed at €70mil.

PSG are going to have to pay stupid money in and around €100-120mil. We won't go that high.

Can we work out who these other clubs are?

One from PL (apart from us, Liverpool?)
Two from Italy
One from Spain

I kinda dont want to suggest him because he's so important to Valencia's project, but... Pepelu who they signed last summer is their best player and better than Zubimendi

Same height as Casemiro, all 7 of his goals came from the penalty spot but you can rest assured he's going to convert, his extra key passes over Zubimendi come from crossing and corners. So he has set pieces covered

Haven’t heard of him until last night when someone mentioned him here on the Caf (think Adnan perhaps). How’s his aggressiveness and mobility, speed etc? Sounds promising and at a good age.

Moving for Neves now, even if it stretches our budget and means missing out on filling a position elsewhere, would send a good message to clubs like PSG that they need to behave themselves.

Wasn't Lindelof a big hit down there? Let's try and use him in the deal. We can sub some of his wages if necessary.

I doubt we even want Neves though at that price?

if we sign him we're either benching him, Mainoo or Bruno in our first choice eleven

unless we randomly decide to use Bruno as a false 9 or out wide all season

Can we work out who these other clubs are?

One from PL (apart from us, Liverpool?)
Two from Italy
One from Spain

The PL club could be anyone really - Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea (they love signing anyone and everyone), Arsenal perhaps to replace Partey.

The two Italian clubs will be the ones who could realistically afford him - so Juventus or one of the Milan clubs? Juve seems likely considering Rabiot's departure.

As for la liga - I'm going to assume its Atletico, seems like the profile of player Simeone loves.

None of them are going to pay anywhere near what PSG want. So we can play hardball with them on this one.

Given Ten Hag’s, well, unusual tactics of a deeper back line which causes large gaps in the midfield, maybe we need a DM that covers a lot of space. I’d be willing to sacrifice some playmaking if we can reduce shots on goal from an average of 7 billion per match down to, say 9 or 10.
yes it would certainly be nice to not have 100 goal kicks a match and actually win possession on the other teams half of the pitch

Yes but there is no way to tell if he will learn it, very very few do.

Status
Not open for further replies.