Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt say mobility and aggression are great but thats the same with most of the Spanish midfielders other than Rodri. He's calm and will put in a foot to win the ball but he's not all action charging around like Fred

Benat Prados would be a bit more like that as he reminds me of Ander but he's 180 cm like Zubimendi, while Pepelu is 185 cm. He doesnt always play at Bilbao but hes done well when played
Thanks Ekeke. Hope we have our eyes on maybe a couple of these options if we’re priced out of a deal for Ugarte, who seems to be first option for that midfield.

comparison.png

Per 90 between Ugarte, Neves, Rice, Casemiro and Rodri last season.

Ugarte passes a lot more in his own half, less forward passes than Rodri , doesn't seem to dribble much, not much of an aerial presence and ground duels he's not exactly stellar.

Then again this was at PSG so it might not be a full reflection of his ability, and might be a system thing.
Yeah those stats don't bode well. Hopefully it's the PSG thing. Any chance you can look at his last Lisbon season for comparison instead?

comparison.png

Per 90 between Ugarte, Neves, Rice, Casemiro and Rodri last season.

Ugarte passes a lot more in his own half, less forward passes than Rodri , doesn't seem to dribble much, not much of an aerial presence and ground duels he's not exactly stellar.

Then again this was at PSG so it might not be a full reflection of his ability, and might be a system thing.

Yeah those stats don't bode well. Hopefully it's the PSG thing. Any chance you can look at his last Lisbon season for comparison instead?

Eh?

@TheNewEra, why have you used different competitions for each player?

CL for Ugarte?
EL for Neves?
League Cup for Rice?
Only Rodri and Casimiro using league games?

Depends on low they're willing to go with Ugarte. Their current valuation of him as well as the reported fee they'll pay Benfica for Neves aren't as as far apart as you'd imagine.
Neves is 120m.....Ugarte is half that price

Nothing wrong with those stats. He's not a playmaker, he's a ball winner. His passing is unadventurous but safe and secure, he's not useless with the ball and he's not bad under pressure.

I don't want me DM next to Bruno and Mainoo to be someone like Casemiro last season who was giving the ball away every 3 passes. Keep hold of it, play it safe, and give it to the more creative guys.

Yeah would love us to be doing that under the radar, however like you said there is no chance we have the budget for the move unfortunately. Might feel differently if we could sell Casemiro & McTominay before PSG seal it which looks highly unlikely.
Joao Neves would have been an ideal signing for us. In my opinion, he is by far the best emerging midfield talent. With him, we would control games and dominate teams in possession. As you said, it's highly unlikely, but you never know. INEOS could make a swift move like the Yoro signing, selling Casemiro and McTominay and signing Neves within 48 hours :)

Eh?

@TheNewEra, why have you used different competitions for each player?

CL for Ugarte?
EL for Neves?
League Cup for Rice?
Only Rodri and Casimiro using league games?

Squawka doesn't show the Portuguese league as an option, it doesn't seem to track that league.

Rice I must have fat fingered but he's hardly the benchmark anyway :)

I'll take a guy who values possession more so than a guy taking risks and giving the ball away needlessly.....they can't score or get shots on goal if we keep the ball a bit better during the build up phase

I'll take a guy who values possession more so than a guy taking risks and giving the ball away needlessly.....they can't score or get shots on goal if we keep the ball a bit better during the build up phase

Care to throw a name out there?

Is it too late to jump on the good ship Zubimendi? He's been excellent every time I've seen him.

Read that he's coming off the back of a underwhelming individual season.
He's stayed at La Real for too long imo. He's had opportunities to leave with both Barcelona and Bayern showing interest but his loyalty to his hometown club and the release clause in his contract, which I think has to be paid in full has kept him at the club.

In the Euros he was a deputy to Rodri who obviously is going to be the starting holding midfielder but whenever Zubimendi was called on he didn't let them down and even in the final against England where he came on for 45 minutes and rarely gave the ball away and he's a progressive player who is very adept at receiving passes as the first receiver in midfield under pressure.

With the €70m PSG want, I can see why Zubimendi and Rabiot are being locked at, I think if they insist on that 70m well look elsewhere.

He's stayed at La Real for too long imo. He's had opportunities to leave with both Barcelona and Bayern showing interest but his loyalty to his hometown club and the release clause in his contract, which I think has to be paid in full has kept him at the club.

In the Euros he was a deputy to Rodri who obviously is going to be the starting holding midfielder but whenever Zubimendi was called on he didn't let them down and even in the final against England where he came on for 45 minutes and rarely gave the ball away and he's a progressive player who is very adept at receiving passes as the first receiver in midfield under pressure.
He’s better than what we have by a long margin at progressive passes and retaining possession. But we’d have to stump for his release clause in full. I can’t see him going for less and if La Real were going to accept less they would have last summer.

Maybe we can do an above clause deal?

He’s better than what we have by a long margin at progressive passes and retaining possession. But we’d have to stump for his release clause in full. I can’t see him going for less and if La Real were going to accept less they would have last summer.

That's the big problem and hence I'm not sure a deal will be possible. They will want the release clause in one go and hence Barca, Bayern and even Arsenal haven't been able to make in-roads, with all three of the aforementioned clubs having shown interest in the player. Zubimendi is also said to be a home grown talent and he's quite loyal to his hometown club.

I do hope we sign someone with good technical qualities in the deeper midfield. We don't have a single midfielder who could play as a pivot at a high level and eventhough I think we can get away without one, but having one really has the potential to elevate our in-possession game.

There's a young midfielder at Stuttgart named Angelo Stiller he could be a interesting player but I'm not sure he's a good partner next to Mainoo from a defensive perspective. So for me if we want to go the double midfield pivot route, then someone like Anton Stach could be a interesting player next to Mainoo.

Slightly worse than Amrabat

Meanwhile, Juve signed Khefren Thuram for just €20+5m.
Yep. The new ruling has already cost us two good and very affordable additions in Todibo and Thuram. :mad:

Would have been really handy to have been able to make those signings this year above all others, as we'll have a lot more time to plan well in advance for future windows. Fortunately, we're doing well enough as it is. But would have been a lot handier to have been able to make those two affordable signings.

With the €70m PSG want, I can see why Zubimendi and Rabiot are being locked at, I think if they insist on that 70m well look elsewhere.

Want to sign Rabiot no matter whether we decide to go for Ugarte/Zubimendi who have very different midfield profiles

Ugarte signed for the wrong team with PSG. They don’t use a player like him in their system, and their system doesn’t suit him. He’s an excellent pickup for any team that wants to use an actual DM.

United are doing good business this window. The test of competency still to come for Ineos is handling the outgoing well.

Rabiot should absolutely NOT stop you from signing Ugarte. He addds knowledge and instruction to multiple players. In case of. Injury, he could start for either Ugarte or Mainoo. If you wanted to set up in a particular way against teams strong in midfield, you could start Ugarte, Rabiot, and Mainoo. Frankly, Mainoo could play an attacking mid better than Mount.

Seems like a no brainer to me if Rabiot wants United.

Zubimendi is the right midfielder for us.

He's quality, absolutely sold on him as a midfielder, I think he improves mostly every top six team including City.

He was also good when United played Sociedad in Europa , screened the defence really well.

Rabiot should absolutely NOT stop you from signing Ugarte. He addds knowledge and instruction to multiple players. In case of. Injury, he could start for either Ugarte or Mainoo. If you wanted to set up in a particular way against teams strong in midfield, you could start Ugarte, Rabiot, and Mainoo. Frankly, Mainoo could play an attacking mid better than Mount.

Well have heard of interest from two different sources

It's pretty clear that Ugarte is another De Ligt, I suspect we are prioritising someone else and using Ugarte as a fallback if it doesn't come through.

I hope so. I was against the Ugarte deal from day 1 even for cheap or on a loan, but if we pay anything close to €70m for him I'll be very confident in saying we are making a mistake. Zubimendi on the other hand would be potentially a very shrewd signing IMO.

Slightly worse than Amrabat

We hardly be buying a player worse than Amrabat. Too slow for the premier league, can't tackle, can't cover a run and completely useless under pressure.

The very definition of a nothing player. He's shown zero ability in the whole time he's been at the club and a half decent performance in a backs to the wall against City means feck all in the grand scheme of things.

Ugarte is very different frrom Zubimendi....

it's like comparing Keane to Carrick

No brainer until he gets upset for playing too little games and risks losing his spot in the WC squad in his second season. Mum starts complaining about the manager etc etc.. no thanks.

I feel like he’d be the new Sabitzer.. and look how few games he got.

Status
Not open for further replies.