Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got excited to enter the thread after seeing the Romano update only to be derailed by a John Terry reference. feck sakes.

Ugarte would be an addition to the midfield. Rabiot wouldn't give us anything we're not already getting from McTominay.

Rabiot gives us more tactical flexibility. Rabiot is a positionally aware midfielder and knows the position well.

McTominay whilst useful as an impact sub as an attacking mid is pretty atrocious at playing deeper in midfield. Positionally he looks lost.

Ugarte it bad, Ugarte it bad
When you're on the phone
Hang up and you call right back (oh, you)

Ineos after singing Yoro and Zirkzee within a week...

Fecking hell, calm down!! I took a small nap and we've already moved on to the next target. :wenger:

At what point we stop calling them INEOS and start saying Utd? Cause they’re all Utd employees now.
I assume it's people distinguishing this window under the new guard, appointed by the new co-owners, to how we've been for so long under the old ones appointed by Glazers.

But, yeah, hopefully after this window the terminology will be more about how 'United' are working rather than 'INEOS'.

Rabiot gives us more tactical flexibility. Rabiot is a positionally aware midfielder and knows the position well.

McTominay whilst useful as an impact sub as an attacking mid is pretty atrocious at playing deeper in midfield. Positionally he looks lost.

I don't disagree that his positioning is one of his shortcomings. I just don't buy that losing McTominay in favor of Rabiot would be a game changer for our midfield. If anything, we should be retaining both, especially given that Rabiot would be coming on a free.

Ugarte would be an addition to the midfield. Rabiot wouldn't give us anything we're not already getting from McTominay.
I'm not a fan of Rabiot but he's simply a much smarter and technically astute player that Scotty is. He's also often used as a Matuidi-like workhorse by Deschamps (so, he has plenty of workrate if he's motivated) and is a more consistent goalscorer than McTominay (to be fair, he only became a proper goalscoring threat for us last season, before that he only showed this ability sporadically).

I don't appreciate his style very much and I don't think that he'd be a great addition to the squad (first and foremost as a character, we've got enough of questionable ones as it is), but to say that he wouldn't bring anything that we're not already getting from McTominay is to significantly underestimate Rabiot's ability.

He’s a must buy for the energy and profile he would bring to our midfield. But he’s not a like for like replacement for Casemiro. If we sign him I’d imagine we’ll play 4-2-3-1 with Ugarte and Mainoo as double pivots. They compliment each other well.

That’d leave us Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay as rotation for the double pivot role. One of those will leave. I would say that Eriksen is on his way out, and I would not be surprised to see one of Cas or McT sold. However if they are, I think they need to be replaced. Casemiro is still the only pure defensive midfielder in the squad.

In an ideal scenario I think we need a winger going out (Sancho or Antony), two midfielders going out (Eriksen and one more), a CB going out (Lindelof), and a full back going out (AWB). And then coming in we need another CB (De Ligt?), two midfielders (Ugarte and a DM), and cover at full back (Kadioglu, plays both sides).

That would give us a properly balanced squad. But it’s a lot to do in one window. We are off to a great start nonetheless. Let’s see how this goes.

Very eager for this transfer to get completed.

As much as I prefer to watch ball players than defensive midfielders, I recognise it's an important part of the game to have one in there and it's something that we clearly need. Ugarte looks a good choice with his energetic, committed, tough tackling style - and available at a decent fee.

Only slight worry is whether as a tough-tackling South American (esp. Uruguayan), playing for Man United, he'll become an immediate target for the media to put huge pressure on the refs to keep giving him cards, similar to Casemiro.

Last edited:
Wow, another transfer hit, I am getting drunk on this muppet koolaid. This feels like a new era and hopefully the end of 1000 page 2 year transfer sagas.

I don't disagree that his positioning is one of his shortcomings. I just don't buy that losing McTominay in favor of Rabiot would be a game changer for our midfield. If anything, we should be retaining both, especially given that Rabiot would be coming on a free.

yep I agree he isn't a game changer

for me he just knits well with a few different types of midfielder, so he'd be a useful pickup to have as 4th/5th choice mid if the price is right

I'm not a fan of Rabiot but he's simply a much smarter and technically astute player that Scotty is. He's also often used as a Matuidi-like workhorse by Deschamps (so, he has plenty of workrate if he's motivated) and is a more consistent goalscorer than McTominay (to be fair, he only became a proper goalscoring threat for us last season, before that he only showed this ability sporadically).

I don't appreciate his style very much and I don't think that he'd be a great addition to the squad (first and foremost as a character, we've got enough of questionable ones as it is), but to say that he wouldn't bring anything that we're not already getting from McTominay is to significantly underestimate Rabiot's ability.

Good points. Like I said, I wouldn't mind him on a free. The previous discussion was based on someone else suggesting we could lose each of Casemiro, McTominay, and Erkisen, which would be a massive risk to lose all of them at once.

Great stuff. I can barely keep up, with how fast we're moving in the market! It's unbelievable. Usually we move at snail pace and could only apparently work on a single transfer at once.

Why would PSG want rid?
Ruiz & Vitinha are simply better at what they do and Zaïre-Emery is their golden boy. Plus, Ugarte is not exactly the type that they envision as their main defensive midfielder going forward.

So while I'm sure they wouldn't be against having Ugarte as a bench option, even a club like PSG has to think about their finances. Selling him for a significant sum (ideally recouping the €60 mil that they've spent on him) wouldn't be the worst option. And I'm sure that the player himself is eager to leave in order to become a starter again.

I used to think the fan comments on Football Manager were unrealistic.

I don't play football manager so not sure what you are trying to say here.

Our midfield is crying out for someone who can help dictate the play with a good range of passing. From everything I've seen this lads main talents are out of posession.

Feed it into Football Manager and see if it works.

Agreed! If we are to move on 2 midfielders, it should be Casemiro and Eriksen. We are one of the most underwhelming midfields in the league in terms of physicality. Rabiot and Ugarte would be good additions in that sense. But we should definitely keep McTominay as he provides that presence in both boxes you often need towards the end of games.

As long as Bruno is a starter here, he will always be our creative fulcrum, that is just the kind of player he is, you can't change that. What we need is players around him who supplement his qualities. Ugarte and Rabiot are good additions in that sense, and McTominay will be an able deputy.

No, he’s terrible. The lads have been on the drink though so we’re signing him for a laugh.
If you’d have sat here and said about each of our signings in the last 10 years that they’d turn out fecking shite you’d have an unreal strike rate.

I think this will be our last signing until we sell a few more players and I'm okay with that. Yoro and Ugarte are big upgrades in the main two areas we struggled last season and Zirkzee gives us more tactical flexibility in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.