Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re winning the league aren’t we
Not to go overboard but yes we are going to win the league. And the Champions League, even though we haven't qualified for it. But UEFA will be so impressed with us come November that they'll chuck City out and put us in their spot.

Thanks, now I can’t get it outta my head

I just can't get you out of my head
Boy, your tacklin is all I think about
I just can't get you out of my head
Ugarte is all I think about
Ugarte, Ugarte es nuestro corazón.
Mainoo, Mainoo, Mainoo es tan bueno.
Lisandro es carnicero,
Bruno es muy famoso.
United es el club con Casillero del Diablo.

This definitely feels like a data driven signing. I don’t mind it, there aren’t any perfect options available like there was with Yoro for this spot and if he can come in and be 22/23 Casemiro pre red card we become a far more stable side. Think people wanting a dictating DM are being far too unrealistic, those players hardly exist and definitely aren’t available for 50m majority of the time. Wharton would be the dream but Palace aren’t selling him.

I like this signing. Hope we get one more in midfield as well though

There doesn't seem any talk from reliable sources about signing another midfielder,what sort of profile do you think we would need to add then?

Meaning business. I love how we’re operating, both in getting players in and out. The worst thing under Woodward, more than the terrible signings, was the unwillingness to sell players. He compounded that by offering massive contracts to players who should have long been shifted (and Murtough, his Gareth Keenan, carried it on). That kind of nonsense makes it even more difficult to get recruitment right.

Anyway, Ugarte is a good player, one we should have gone for last year. I still think we need more in midfield, but by the end of the summer, nobody will be able to say we haven't massively improved the squad, I’m pretty sure of that. I just hope Ten Hag has the right ideas in mind for how to set the 11 players up.

Not to go overboard but yes we are going to win the league. And the Champions League, even though we haven't qualified for it. But UEFA will be so impressed with us come November that they'll chuck City out and put us in their spot.

Might happen if Robinho is the UEFA President. Legend says that to this day, he still think he signed for Manchester United.

Wake up ywsterday morning, boom, Yoro signed, wake up this morning, Ugarte is progressing...Ineos is killing us transfer muppets, we'll never gonna see pur 800 pages of transfer again.

Why is PSG loaning such a big buy after a season?
Because Campos bought him for a coach that was sacked and now Luis Enrique who is a proponent of positional play doesn't require a player of Ugarte's profile because he wants to dominate the game on the ball. He wants players who not only retain possession at a good level but also progress the ball forward at a good level.

Ugarte isn't that player and eventhough I do think he would add something to the team, we would still need another midfielder if we want to be more dominant in possession. I think there's some players out there who we could possibly take a chance on. Players like Pepelu at Valencia or Johnny Cardoso at Real Betis who also looks a interesting young 22 year old deeper lying midfielder who reportedly is available for around £20m.

Ineos "We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of. Watch this space."

Because Campos bought him for a coach that was sacked and now Luis Enrique who is a proponent of positional play doesn't require a player of Ugarte's profile because he wants to dominate the game on the ball. He wants players who not only retain possession at a good level but also progress the ball forward at a good level.

Ugarte isn't that player and eventhough I do think he would add something to the team, we would still need another midfielder if we want to be more dominant in possession. I think there's some players out there who we could possibly take a chance on. Players like Pepelu at Valencia or Johnny Cardoso at Real Betis who also looks a interesting young 22 year old deeper lying midfielder who reportedly is available for around £20m.
Doesn’t that sound like a red flag? Enrique wants a more dominant style, so he got rid of Ugarte. But aren’t we aspiring for such a style as well?

It's rare that players are brilliant at every facet of the game. Ugarte is good at retaining possession which our other midfielders aren't so good at. Particularly, the likes of McTominay and Casemiro who have played alongside Mainoo. Adding in a safer option who recycles the ball is probably a good thing for our midfield.

Essentially, a nice balance of Ugarte playing safe, Mainoo dribbling forward and Bruno playing the aggressive passes.

Doesn’t that sound like a red flag? Enrique wants a more dominant style, so he got rid of Ugarte. But aren’t we aspiring for such a style as well?
It should do imo but I think if we bring Ugarte in with another midfielder I'd be a lot happier. But otherwise we will have to rely a lot on the back line and fullbacks for progression. Playing through the midfield at a high level requires a high level of ball retention as well as progressive passing ability which our midfield currently lacks.

This is too fast. Slow down you cnuts.

Can’t even get to 200 pages and it’s already done.

fecking Ineos ruining my summer.

In theory, there is more than one way to dominate. Klopp's Liverpool were fairly dominant but had a midfield of Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum. I wouldn't say any of them had a very high level at progressing the ball, not to the level a manager like Enrique would want at least. Arsenal also played a dominant style with a midfield of Xhaka and Partey. I don't claim to know what Ten Hag has in mind but I know that teams have played on the front foot using various profiles and structures to the team. Let's just hope Ten Hag can execute what he has mind as I am sure his intention is to play on the front foot.

It's rare that players are brilliant at every facet of the game. Ugarte is good at retaining possession which our other midfielders aren't so good at. Particularly, the likes of McTominay and Casemiro who have played alongside Mainoo. Adding in a safer option who recycles the ball is probably a good thing for our midfield.

Essentially, a nice balance of Ugarte playing safe, Mainoo dribbling forward and Bruno playing the aggressive passes.
I understand what you mean but I think we need more from our midfielders as far as breaking lines go. Our LCB (Martinez) is currently our best player in that regard and I think we do need better retention along with much better passing progression. Casemiro is better than Ugarte when it comes to vertical passing but Ugarte is better at covering ground in comparion but both players have one thing in common and that is that they both will leave space behind them by over comitting when attempting to win the ball back. Ugarte is a potential upgraded version of Fred who I think we could utilise as long as we also have another midfield option who can provide more on the ball. Bruno Fernandes isn't a deeper lying midfielder and he shouldn't be expected (imo) to progress play from deeper. He should rather be occupying spaces higher up the pitch because he's a attacking midfielder.

It'll be interesting to see what happens because either Amrabat is going to come back for another season or Toby Collyer will surprise us all or we will sign another midfielder who fits the bill on the cheap. Maybe take a chance on Pepelu from Valencia who I feel could be a potential shrewd signing. He's playing for a mid table club and I feel his game could go up a level playing in a more dominant team. Low risk high reward type of signing.

In theory, there is more than one way to dominate. Klopp's Liverpool were fairly dominant but had a midfield of Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum. I wouldn't say any of them had a very high level at progressing the ball, not to the level a manager like Enrique would want at least. Arsenal also played a dominant style with a midfield of Xhaka and Partey. I don't claim to know what Ten Hag has in mind but I know that teams have played on the front foot using various profiles and structures to the team. Let's just hope Ten Hag can execute what he has mind as I am sure his intention is to play on the front foot.
Klopp's midfielders were very progressive and he absolutely wanted them to play the ball forward at every opportunity. Henderson's progressive passing was actually good.

I think the only time I remember Klopp using a limited player in possession was at Dortmund when he had Sven Bender as the destroyer DM but Klopp evolved his tactics from that play style at Liverpool.

Klopp's midfielders were very progressive and he absolutely wanted them to play the ball forward at every opportunity. Henderson's progressive passing was actually good.

I think the only time I remember Klopp using a limited player in possession was at Dortmund when he had Sven Bender as the destroyer DM but Klopp evolved his tactics from that play style at Liverpool.
I am not saying he didn’t want that. I am saying he made it work with what I consider limited players in that regard. I don’t think Enrique would consider any them good enough for that specific task.

I am not saying he didn’t want that. I am saying he made it work with what I consider limited players in that regard. I don’t think Enrique would consider any them good enough for that specific task.
Luis Enrique for sure would probably target different profiles.

Personally, I would prefer someone who is better on the ball. The more limited players you add the harder it is to play front foot football. That (along with age) was why the Casemiro signing surprised me last year. So ideally, we should also be signing a playmaker in midfield - one who is a high volume passer becuase we don’t have that player in there. But as a squad option, this guy does sound like a good addition and I love how fast we are moving.

His YouTube compilation looks scarily similar to the Amrabat types.

I see him much different than Amrabat. Amrabat doesn't have pace or agility.. He is a slow, cumbersome and has a mediocre passing range. He'll be okay if we want to back to the wall football and defend for our lives for most of the game.

Whereas this guy doesn't seem to have many issues with agility. He is a terrier type who can run all day and harry the opposition. He looks like a safe passer too. Given that ETH wants to play counter-attacking (Transition as he calls it) football, he would be an okay option. However, I feel with a midfield of Mainoo and him we would still lack the vision and passing from the deep to unlock deep defenses. Also, the ability to control the tempo of the game.

I see him much different than Amrabat. Amrabat doesn't have pace or agility.. He is a slow, cumbersome and has a mediocre passing range. He'll be okay if we want to back to the wall football and defend for our lives for most of the game.

Whereas this guy doesn't seem to have many issues with agility. He is a terrier type who can run all day and harry the opposition. He looks like a safe passer too. Given that ETH wants to play counter-attacking (Transition as he calls it) football, he would be an okay option. However, I feel with a midfield of Mainoo and him we would still lack the vision and passing from the deep to unlock deep defenses. Also, the ability to control the tempo of the game.
Agreed. It doesn’t help that Bruno isn’t a true playmaker either which increases the burden of the midfield to be even better tempo setters. That’s why someone like a Zunimendi (from what I hear) would compliment this guy.

What about Wharton? Would he be too expensive. I keep hearing that he’s got huge potential as a natural 6.

PSG are also likely to dominate most games which no team outside of City will do in the PL, so he will have a purpose for us.

Agreed. It doesn’t help that Bruno isn’t a true playmaker either which increases the burden of the midfield to be even better tempo setters. That’s why someone like a Zunimendi (from what I hear) would compliment this guy.

What about Wharton? Would he be too expensive. I keep hearing that he’s got huge potential as a natural 6.

Wharton has huge potential. Still young but looks like a very good player in the making. He'd be kind of a dream signing.

Zubemendi is very good too. He also has a reasonable release clause. Although, I have read that he doesn't want to leave Spain.

We need these kind of players to upgrade our midfield and become a better team which can pass the ball better and control the tempo of the game. With Mainoo, Ugarte and Bruno we'd still be looking at low percentage balls from Bruno for any kid of creativity.

I think Wharton would be too expensive this year. Palace have made a big sale already and will probably want an overpay to let go of Wharton.

If he was to eventually come here, I would actually suggest a midfield of Mainoo, Wharton and Ugarte would have a lot of balance to it.

We're also going to win the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup, the Club World Cup and the lottery.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
Wharton has huge potential. Still young but looks like a very good player in the making. He'd be kind of a dream signing.

Zubemendi is very good too. He also has a reasonable release clause. Although, I have read that he doesn't want to leave Spain.

We need these kind of players to upgrade our midfield and become a better team which can pass the ball better and control the tempo of the game. With Mainoo, Ugarte and Bruno we'd still be looking at low percentage balls from Bruno for any kid of creativity.
Yeah I’m actually suspended multiple CBs are a bigger priority. Anyway I’m detailing this thread a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.