Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't play football manager so not sure what you are trying to say here.

Our midfield is crying out for someone who can help dictate the play with a good range of passing. From everything I've seen this lads main talents are out of posession.

Feed it into Football Manager and see if it works.
Sorry - in recent FM games, whenever there is a signing you have this social feed of messages from “fans”. They’re always a succession of absolute polar opposites with one guys saying “this is amazing, exactly the sort of business the club should be doing”, followed by another guy saying “I don’t like this at all, we can do better”.

Reading down the page after these Ugarte tweets reminded me of it.

Sorry - in recent FM games, whenever there is a signing you have this social feed of messages from “fans”. They’re always a succession of absolute polar opposites with one guys saying “this is amazing, exactly the sort of business the club should be doing”, followed by another guy saying “I don’t like this at all, we can do better”.

Reading down the page after these Ugarte tweets reminded me of it.

Some people just get wildly excited at signing anyone.

TBF my opinion of him is based on not a huge amount so definitely willing to give him a chance.

Does he have that dog in him?
I'd say that's perhaps one his most important qualities. Has that South American bite to him. Going off his performances in the Copa were he was excellent against Brazil(only watched him at his tournament after we were linked) he's a very good destroyer sort of player, displayed good positioning in a couple of games which led to him providing clearances in some very important areas. But he seems to have very little passing range as he mostly kept his passing simple without being expansive and does chase around a lot vacating his position. Probably contradicts my earlier comment about displaying excellent positioning but didn't appear to be a sitting type DM though so maybe that's not what we're looking for?

Really like the look of him, but worried he might be a red card magnet for the Oliver/Atwell/Taylor clowns, especially when they mess around with VAR and pretend to know what they're doing.

Not good in recovery, or tracking back, does all his defensive work on the front foot. Not safe enough to be a 6 and protect the back four.
But the good is basically his dynamism, energy and can tackle. After watching that I’m a bit less excited

Agreed! If we are to move on 2 midfielders, it should be Casemiro and Eriksen. We are one of the most underwhelming midfields in the league in terms of physicality. Rabiot and Ugarte would be good additions in that sense. But we should definitely keep McTominay as he provides that presence in both boxes you often need towards the end of games.

As long as Bruno is a starter here, he will always be our creative fulcrum, that is just the kind of player he is, you can't change that. What we need is players around him who supplement his qualities. Ugarte and Rabiot are good additions in that sense, and McTominay will be an able deputy.

Agreed. They're both 32 and on the cusp of precipitous decline. Although neither are likely to fetch as much as McTominay.

have you lost it? Mainoo rotate in? he's the future of United and the midfield. Nobody puts Mainoo in the corner.

I agree Mainoo is at the core of our team for the next decade, for sure. I just meant that that trio has a good dynamic, with lots of tenacity and technique.

Ugarte be perfect
Ugarte be worth it, yeah
Too many people take 2nd best
Ineos won't take anything less
Ugarte be, yeah, perfect

Not good in recovery, or tracking back, does all his defensive work on the front foot. Not safe enough to be a 6 and protect the back four.
But the good is basically his dynamism, energy and can tackle. After watching that I’m a bit less excited
Pay less heed to analysis videos. They are Joe Public as well analysing and giving their opinion.

Ugarte be perfect
Ugarte be worth it, yeah
Too many people take 2nd best
Ineos won't take anything less
Ugarte be, yeah, perfect
Thanks, now I can’t get it outta my head

I just can't get you out of my head
Boy, your tacklin is all I think about
I just can't get you out of my head
Ugarte is all I think about

Last edited:
I'd say that's perhaps one his most important qualities. Has that South American bite to him. Going off his performances in the Copa were he was excellent against Brazil(only watched him at his tournament after we were linked) he's a very good destroyer sort of player, displayed good positioning in a couple of games which led to him providing clearances in some very important areas. But he seems to have very little passing range as he mostly kept his passing simple without being expansive and does chase around a lot vacating his position. Probably contradicts my earlier comment about displaying excellent positioning but didn't appear to be a sitting type DM though so maybe that's not what we're looking for?
Like Heinze/Rojo. Fans will love Ugarte because oh my word does he have that dawg in him.

Why would PSG sell him after one year? Did he struggle?
Pretty sure he started great but then tapered off, mostly because he doesn't really fit into the way Enrique likes to play. They have a good midfield already and look like they want to add Neves to that, who fits in more with what Enrique wants

How about:

You want it, Ugarte!
Manuel Ugarte gonna change your mind

(To Molly’s Chambers - Kings of Leon)

Casemiro- Ugarte - Mainoo would be a balanced midfield .

Just play Bruno as false 9 with Garnacho and Amad on support.

I like having a player like this in the squad because we can definitely use his energy, aggression and ball winning capabilities.

We desperately need another player comfortable on the ball in midfield though. Ugarte is not a player you want on the ball deep in our half receiving the ball from CBs to progress our play. I see him a bit like Hargreaves, just let him focus on ball winning and give him very little responsibility on the ball.

I personally think Mainoo is at his best when he’s allowed to go forward so wouldn’t want him dropping too deep to help Ugarte out.

I don’t see a Ugarte Mainoo Bruno midfield as having the right structure but I’m happy to have all three players in the squad.

He looked fine playing beside Valverde, even sprayed a few long balls himself against Colombia.

Some of you are sounding like he's a Vidic clone being played in midfield.

McTominay knocked in 10 goals last year. We are almost certainly going to struggle for goals again this year, so it would be an odd move given that Rabiot isn't a game changer. If we can add him and keep McTominay that would be more sensible.
Quite a simplistic way of looking at it don’t you reckon? If the team structure, tactics and interplay is elevated (across the whole team) the collective will score more goals. McTominay is not worth the drawbacks he brings to the team. At least with Rabiot you get a solid midfielder who allows the attackers to get on the ball more often.

Just imagine this guy with Licha drifting in to midfield alongside him during games when Mainoo strolls forward

Good luck to anyone trying to dribble or speed past them two

You getting tackled to the ground every time no fecks given

Nor would Kane. But its a pointless thought experiment since McTominay isn't being considered for the French NT.
Kane would start for France though obviously. Just seems a weird hill to die on to pretend McTominay is even close to Rabiot as a player (and he’s not particularly spectacular himself).

Just imagine this guy with Licha drifting in to midfield alongside him during games when Mainoo strolls forward

Good luck to anyone trying to dribble or speed past them two

You getting tackled to the ground every time no fecks given
Prem refs will yellow card them for their first tackle after 5 mins.

Quite a simplistic way of looking at it don’t you reckon? If the team structure, tactics and interplay is elevated (across the whole team) the collective will score more goals. McTominay is not worth the drawbacks he brings to the team. At least with Rabiot you get a solid midfielder who allows the attackers to get on the ball more often.

I don' think it would matter if you don't have the ability to get the goal into the back of the net. Therefore the idea of replacing McTominay with Rabiot isn't as convincing as keeping them both. On the other hand, if its strictly a money issue where we have to sell him to buy Ugarte, then it makes a lot of sense to get Rabiot on a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.