Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onana and Bruno would cost twice as much, probably more...we also have zero chance of obtaining Bruno.
Locatelli has gone off the boil but would also be expensive and probably doesn't want to leave Italy.
Palhinha was not turning down Bayern for us.
The others are better than Ugarte? debateable.

How very dare you. There's only one Bruno and we've already got him. Thank you very much. :D

Loan with a buy option would be great since it allows us to strengthen the squad more

not sure how you can't like this kid after watching him in this match

Erm, he's had literally nothing to do the entire second half and was barely influential defensively in the first. Could have been substituted for a more progressive attacking player and his defensive contribution would not have been missed.

As usual there's a massive overating of his ability now he's been linked with us. I bet a lot of people will realize he's still got a lot to prove even if we do sign him.

Erm, he's had literally nothing to do the entire second half and was barely influential defensively in the first. Could have been substituted for a more progressive attacking player and his defensive contribution would not have been missed.

As usual there's a massive overating of his ability now he's been linked with us. I bet a lot of people will realize he's still got a lot to prove even if we do sign him.
Agreed for this match.

yes the second half but he was very good the first half breaking up play and moving the ball forward.....second half, yes, they had very little to do defensively or the counter

yes the second half but he was very good the first half breaking up play and moving the ball forward.....second half, yes, they had very little to do defensively or the counter
He also did create Uruguays best opportunity. Suarezs attempt that hit the post. Although he wasn't amazing it does show he isn't completely useless in the attacking sense.

He also did create Uruguays best opportunity. Suarezs attempt that hit the post. Although he wasn't amazing it does show he isn't completely useless in the attacking sense.
i think he would be fine in the attacking sense....i think he would flourish in the defensive aspect and allow Kobbie and Bruno to be teh guys that run the show

Dude is incapable of passing forwards. But solid ball carrying to evade pressing pressure good defensive nous.

Let's get it done.

Dude is incapable of passing forwards. But solid ball carrying to evade pressing pressure good defensive nous.

Let's get it done.
Let’s hope he develops that here as you can’t boss midfields with that sort of player. My preference for the DM position was not that of a destroyer but like you say he seems to have good feet and is strong defensively. Given the fee isn’t huge and people seem to rate him, hope we get this done fast, and also add a playmaking midfielder too.

Let's get it done.
guess you missed that pass he made to suarez when he hit the post

Let's get it done.
Wont need him to. Take the ball and give it to the creators. Job done.

Dude is incapable of passing forwards.
Cant be worse than Declan Rice. England are in the finals with him doing a shit job as a #6. The key is they both have Mainoo playing next to him so all he has to do is get the ball to him.

Amadou Onana, Manuel Locatelli, Bruno Guimaraes, Morten Hjulmand, Youssouf Fofana, or we shouldn't have let Palhinha go to Bayern, or Wieffer go to Brighton.

And I'm probably forgetting players too. There are better options than Ugarte.

There are better options than Ugarte, but three of the players you mentioned are box-to-box midfielders (Guimaraes, Fofana, Locatelli) and won't be able to do what Ugarte does. Palhinha got benched for Ugarte in Sporting, and other than having shown excellent defensive abilities in the Premier League, nothing suggests that Palhinha is any better than Ugarte. He is notably poor on the ball too, so I'm actually surprised Bayern went for him, but they've made some weird decisions lately as buying Dier, selling de Ligt etc. Ugarte is one of the best ball winners in world football at the moment, is a tenacious little bastard and has the warrior mentality we need more of in the team. I'm sure there are some better options, but there aren't many great defensive midfielders available these days.

Sounds promising for what we need. We don’t need a mega expansive passer at 6, especially as we’ll have De Ligt/Martinez behind him (hopefully).

We need someone with high energy and fight about them that can win the ball back and get it to Bruno/Mainoo ahead of them.

Sounds promising for what we need. We don’t need a mega expansive passer at 6, especially as we’ll have De Ligt/Martinez behind him (hopefully).

We need someone with high energy and fight about them that can win the ball back and get it to Bruno/Mainoo ahead of them.

This will give more balance and even more freedom to creative Bruno and Mainoo. I can see why they go for Ugarte and he has impressed me in Copa America. Loads of energy.

Sounds promising for what we need. We don’t need a mega expansive passer at 6, especially as we’ll have YoroDe Ligt/Martinez behind him (hopefully).

one can dream :angel:

Amadou Onana, Manuel Locatelli, Bruno Guimaraes, Morten Hjulmand, Youssouf Fofana, or we shouldn't have let Palhinha go to Bayern, or Wieffer go to Brighton.

And I'm probably forgetting players too. There are better options than Ugarte.

This must be a joke or to make up numbers to boost your claim

He is much better on the ball than people give him credit for, he has a decent shot on him, can pick passes in the middle third, spread it around but he usually keeps it safe.

The only questions are regarding his physical abilities which I dont think are that great

He's also a high-volume passer, which will suit Mainoo, who basically wants to play 2009-style tiki-taka. Those passes don't need to be progressive ones, just crisp and accurate and accompanied by lots of movement. Mainoo and Bruno will do the creativity, and Martinez (and hopefully de Ligt) will do the range stuff.

He's also a high-volume passer, which will suit Mainoo, who basically wants to play 2009-style tiki-taka. Those passes don't need to be progressive ones, just crisp and accurate and accompanied by lots of movement. Mainoo and Bruno will do the creativity, and Martinez (and hopefully de Ligt) will do the range stuff.
That's a very good point and generally when our best football comes out, recycling possession quickly.

He was involved in the trouble in the stands last night, I wonder if he'll get a ban
I hope none of the players get any sort of a ban if anything the tournament organisers should be sanctioned for not ensuring sufficient security around the family area, would have liked to have seen Nunez not being held back against that cocky columbia fan who took a cheap shot at him.... I do not condone violence but when somebody threatens the safety of your family I have great sympathy

I hope none of the players get any sort of a ban if anything the tournament organisers should be sanctioned for not ensuring sufficient security around the family area, would have liked to have seen Nunez not being held back against that cocky columbia fan who took a cheap shot at him.... I do not condone violence but when somebody threatens the safety of your family I have great sympathy
I totally understand and agree with defending loved ones. There are some other clips of Nunez being a bit more naughty though.

Cant be worse than Declan Rice. England are in the finals with him doing a shit job as a #6. The key is they both have Mainoo playing next to him so all he has to do is get the ball to him.

Mainoo is not a good ball progressor - at least not when he’s played for us

A midfield 3 of Ugarte, Mainoo, and Bruno will remain almost entirely reliant on Bruno to move the ball forward creatively

I think this is why we want de Ligt, so we have two progressive CBs to make up for an Ugarte-Mainoo duo in front of them

Status
Not open for further replies.