Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think we should go for Youssouf Fofana instead. Going for Ugarte when he's right there for cheaper, seems like a mistake and a weird decision for me, but we'll see what happens if we end up with the Uruguayan.

I don't see the big deal with Fofana, to be honest. Never stood out like a must-buy for me.

I still think we should go for Youssouf Fofana instead. Going for Ugarte when he's right there for cheaper, seems like a mistake and a weird decision for me, but we'll see what happens if we end up with the Uruguayan.

Never been impressed by Fofana. Seems decent but just seems more of a phenomenal athlete. Never been a standout.
You may have seen him more though.

Ugarte seems like the right profile of midfielder to sit next to Mainoo to unlock the latter.

Why? We are getting Ugarte for a decent fee and we need more a midfield destroyer like Ugarte than Fofana wich is better as a 8. We have enough of 8s in my opinion.

That's not my impression of Fofana. To me he's a double pivot defensive midfielder who would compliment Mainoo very well and can do everything Ugarte would do.

From what I've seen of Fofana, he's more of a box to box 8 and is pretty loose in possession.

There are dozens of very credible journalists.

Difference between credible journalists. EG a lot of these guys who write for the Athletic are good journalists. But when it comes to Transfer news Romano and Dave Ornstein seem to get more right than wrong and have best contacts. Especially Ornstein these days

Difference between credible journalists. EG a lot of these guys who write for the Athletic are good journalists. But when it comes to Transfer news Romano and Dave Ornstein seem to get more right than wrong and have best contacts. Especially Ornstein these days
I’m not disputing that Ornstein and Romano are very reliable. What you said was they were the only reliable sources when that’s simply not true.

There are dozens of mainstream journalists that are very reputable. Not to even mention the more club specific ones. Naylor for Brighton, Joyce for Liverpool etc.

I’m not disputing that Ornstein and Romano are very reliable. What you said was they were the only reliable sources when that’s simply not true.

There are dozens of mainstream journalists that are very reputable. Not to even mention the more club specific ones. Naylor for Brighton, Joyce for Liverpool etc.
Yep. Agreed. Massimo di culo for juventus.

Fofana is going to sign for AC Milan. Or close to it.

Personally ugarte for me. We need abit of a Roy Keane hard man in our midfield.

Fofana is going to sign for AC Milan. Or close to it.

Personally ugarte for me. We need abit of a Roy Keane hard man in our midfield.

I know, I've seen Romano reporting it. Personally, I'd look for someone else other than Ugarte because I think we could do much better than him. If we sign him, though, I hope he can prove me wrong.

Plettenberg suggesting we could try a loan deal for him, maybe that opens up the possibility of getting additional midfielder too

Like whom exactly?

Amadou Onana, Manuel Locatelli, Bruno Guimaraes, Morten Hjulmand, Youssouf Fofana, or we shouldn't have let Palhinha go to Bayern, or Wieffer go to Brighton.

And I'm probably forgetting players too. There are better options than Ugarte.

PSG don't want him, unless there is a serious competitor for his signature there is no reason not to lowball with a loan offer.

I don't see a better midfielder in his price bracket for the profile we need (a defensive partner for Mainoo who's more mobile than Casemiro and Amrabat).

PSG don't want him, unless there is a serious competitor for his signature there is no reason not to lowball with a loan offer.
The only reason they are selling is to get money to fund a purchase. Not to sell for the sake of selling someone. They will be happy to keep him if they don’t get a sufficient offer.

Can't remember ever watching him play but from what I've read he is very much a destroyer first.

I think we are desperate for a player who can dictate the tempo like Rodri does but obviously they are extremely hard to come by.

Ugarte is a good age and the price seems reasonable. Hopefully he has a bit more on the ball than some have made it sound.

Plettenberg suggesting we could try a loan deal for him, maybe that opens up the possibility of getting additional midfielder too

It's probably more that we're spending our money on defenders and Zirkzee this summer, and the midfielder we sign will be on loan.

What about if a loan deal meant we could get another midfielder/backup ST too
Ye that would be decent. A loan with an option to buy at a reasonable price would be good. I doubt we’d be getting another ST/Midfielder though. Especially after Zirkzee. We should be looking at a winger really with sancho and greenwood going. Or a LB.

Ye that would be decent. A loan with an option to buy at a reasonable price would be good. I doubt we’d be getting another ST/Midfielder though. Especially after Zirkzee. We should be looking at a winger really with sancho and greenwood going. Or a LB.

Yeah opens up chance to get winger/LB

Yeah opens up chance to get winger/LB
Our new structure gives me a lot of confidence that they’ll make the right decisions that benefits us. I’m excited for our future and think we’re in very good hands.

Our new structure gives me a lot of confidence that they’ll make the right decisions that benefits us. I’m excited for our future and think we’re in very good hands.

Yeah Berrada starts work "officially" on Monday

Amadou Onana, Manuel Locatelli, Bruno Guimaraes, Morten Hjulmand, Youssouf Fofana, or we shouldn't have let Palhinha go to Bayern, or Wieffer go to Brighton.

And I'm probably forgetting players too. There are better options than Ugarte.

Onana and Bruno would cost twice as much, probably more...we also have zero chance of obtaining Bruno.
Locatelli has gone off the boil but would also be expensive and probably doesn't want to leave Italy.
Palhinha was not turning down Bayern for us.
The others are better than Ugarte? debateable.

Playing LCB tonight. I assume because Araujo got hurt (on the bench, though) and Nandez suspended. Good start on the ball, some nice crisp long passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.