Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I we can move Casemiro on to Saudi Arabia then bring in both Ugarte and Amrabat I think we’ve got a very strong and balanced midfield along with Fernandes, Mainoo, McTominay and Mount plus Eriksen maybe sticking around.

Getting Ugarte in and keeping Amrabat wouldn’t be terrible business but I do think we should aim higher or take a risk on a young talent if possible over Amrabat. Someone like the Veiga guy Chelsea are about to sign from Basel would have been ideal.

Is there a real answer?
He doesn't have a massive range of passing, not really the best at playing between the lines. Doesn't fit the style Enrique is playing at all, so he is surplus to requirements and someone they can get good $ for.

I thought that much was pretty obvious but from the way you articulate it I gather it took some trial and error to work it out. Weird for a 100M signing.
Well, he played, and still plays deeper for Argentina, but as I understand it he tended to get farther forward for Benfica, sometimes almost a playmaking 8. And people said he was playing out of position for Argentina.

So, yeah, there has been a lot of discussion about where best he plays, and it wasn’t helped by playing through multiple hernias. Other peoples injuries, and just having to play Gallagher so much… which throws the whole midfield into disarray.

He certainly isn’t a guy that wants to game chasing lost balls and running down attackers fro. 30 yards like Gallagher.

If we were to play with someone like Ugarte, he could still be the more balanced 8, but he just isn’t the cover the whole field like a madman player. He expects to be playing with a certain level of technical control.

I think Edson Alvarez alone could have provided the strength and technical stability to help settle Enzo, and I rate Ugarte quite a bit more.

If we got this over the line and provided we got the other 2 signings sorted it would be a very decent upgrade .

Varane out De Ligt In
Martial out Zirkcee In
Amrabat out Ugarte In
Casemiro Out ???? In
Amstel Van Oranjeboom

Ugarte-Mainoo-Fernandes on paper should be an excellent midfield trio. However my big fear lies in our midfield depth, as this has been an issue for us in the previous two seasons. As soon as Ugarte is out we’d be back to McTominay which as we know just does not work.

Alongside Ugarte we’d still need another 6 or 6/8 hybrid type player. Joao Neves or Baleba would be fantastic young options, but I’m also intrigued to see who else the new regime could have in mind. If we are to do Ugarte on a loan to buy to allow us to also get another 6 or 6/8 hybrid in this season, that would be very shrewd workings.

What about Rabiot as free agent and feels to me like we wouldn't have budget to sign Neves this window

What about Rabiot as free agent and feels to me like we wouldn't have budget to sign Neves this window

I wouldn’t be against Rabiot given he’s a free agent but he is now 29. Would prefer to be going for young prospects but if we simply don’t have the budget this season for our chosen target (Neves or Baleba) then we can’t do much better than Rabiot on a free as a stop-gap type signing who can add some needed experience too.

That being said, the fact that Ugarte is possibly an initial loan (therefore pushing the fee to next summers budget) makes me think INEOS are hoping to get that secured first as that will then allow us more flex to get an extra signing in which could be that Neves or Baleba type player.

Ugarte-Mainoo-Fernandes on paper should be an excellent midfield trio. However my big fear lies in our midfield depth, as this has been an issue for us in the previous two seasons. As soon as Ugarte is out we’d be back to McTominay which as we know just does not work.

Alongside Ugarte we’d still need another 6 or 6/8 hybrid type player. Joao Neves or Baleba would be fantastic young options, but I’m also intrigued to see who else the new regime could have in mind. If we are to do Ugarte on a loan to buy to allow us to also get another 6 or 6/8 hybrid in this season, that would be very shrewd workings.
No club is unaffected by injuries. City are half the team when Rodri is out, and literally don't have a DM to play if he is out (and end up playing Kovacic or Rico Lewis there and changing their system to adapt).

My main guess would be we keep Amrabat on cheap, as he adapted over the past year and did improve a bit by the end, and can both cover to play alongside Mainoo deep or instead of Mainoo. Remember, it's a squad player role, they aren't always going to be top players pushing for starting roles, sometimes they are just there to rotate for injuries or fitness. The backup trio would end up being Amrabat, Mount and McTominay which is fine as a backup trio to be honest. The biggest thing is fitness.

His passing range is a massive concern, Eriksen was a big factor in the team looking a lot better in the 22-23 season which is why I think a DLP in the mold of Caqueret or Locatelli would be better suited to fixing our current weaknesses.

I love how these two always seem to crop up on lists for potential DLP's but never get even loosely linked

No club is unaffected by injuries. City are half the team when Rodri is out, and literally don't have a DM to play if he is out (and end up playing Kovacic or Rico Lewis there and changing their system to adapt).

My main guess would be we keep Amrabat on cheap, as he adapted over the past year and did improve a bit by the end, and can both cover to play alongside Mainoo deep or instead of Mainoo. Remember, it's a squad player role, they aren't always going to be top players pushing for starting roles, sometimes they are just there to rotate for injuries or fitness. The backup trio would end up being Amrabat, Mount and McTominay which is fine as a backup trio to be honest. The biggest thing is fitness.

I’ve said this in another thread but I don’t think keeping Amrabat would be bad business at all. However I do think we can do better, even for a squad role. I’d also like to bring someone in that can properly compete with and push Kobbie to greater heights. He’s a top top talent but being a nailed on starter each week at 19 might over time inspire a bit of complacency and from a fitness point of view it’s probably not great for him to be starting every week like he is for club and country anyway.

If we are on a budget, someone like Rabiot would tick that box although he probably can’t cover the 6 position so effectively.

I’ve said this in another thread but I don’t think keeping Amrabat would be bad business at all. However I do think we can do better, even for a squad role. I’d also like to bring someone in that can properly compete with and push Kobbie to greater heights. He’s a top top talent but being a nailed on starter each week at 19 might over time inspire a bit of complacency and from a fitness point of view it’s probably not great for him to be starting every week like he is for club and country anyway.

If we are on a budget, someone like Rabiot would tick that box although he probably can’t cover the 6 position so effectively.
Ideally yeah we would get someone like Wharton, can have a midfield 3 of Wharton, Ugarte and Mainoo long term, or partner just 2 of the 3. But we have tons of work to do just to catch up, especially with us being in the Europa league that sometimes you gotta make some tradeoffs. Amrabat would be solid business, pretty uninspiring, but would give us solid depth for next season and address a hole while let us focus our limited funds on the positions we need.

I'd be surprised if there's much we can do in terms of transfers after De Ligt, Zirkzee and Ugarte. The rest is probably just cheaper options like Amrabat, someone like Chalobah as CB depth, and then a squad player left back like I saw links with Reguillon.

Ideally yeah we would get someone like Wharton, can have a midfield 3 of Wharton, Ugarte and Mainoo long term, or partner just 2 of the 3. But we have tons of work to do just to catch up, especially with us being in the Europa league that sometimes you gotta make some tradeoffs. Amrabat would be solid business, pretty uninspiring, but would give us solid depth for next season and address a hole while let us focus our limited funds on the positions we need.

I'd be surprised if there's much we can do in terms of transfers after De Ligt, Zirkzee and Ugarte. The rest is probably just cheaper options like Amrabat, someone like Chalobah as CB depth, and then a squad player left back like I saw links with Reguillon.
Agreed, and it would have been a solid summer, purchase wise. We’ll look to shift a number of players as well, which may pave the way for a big surprising signing or two toward the end of the window, or so I hope.

I understand this is not finalised or green lit by the reputed journalists right? Only that we’ve been negotiating etc?

Agreed, and it would have been a solid summer, purchase wise. We’ll look to shift a number of players as well, which may pave the way for a big surprising signing or two toward the end of the window, or so I hope.
Most likely to be Branthwaite aswell as de Ligt or another CB. We’re looking at 2 CBs aren’t we but one of them won’t be happy sitting on the bench. I’d personally be looking for a creative RW. Sancho and Greenwood will most definitely be sold. We’ll have lack of options out wide.

Most likely to be Branthwaite aswell as de Ligt or another CB. We’re looking at 2 CBs aren’t we but one of them won’t be happy sitting on the bench. I’d personally be looking for a creative RW. Sancho and Greenwood will most definitely be sold. We’ll have lack of options out wide.

Any suggestions for a creative RW?

Is there a real answer?
Expertly analysed here
I was being facetious. It has been brought up amd answered many times over. Read further up this page.

Can this Amrabat love in please stop ? He’s not good enough simple as.
It's no love in. Just a reasonable backup and rotation option with much going for it. We are not going to be paying massive fees/wages for that (e.g. Neves).

Agree with the post below though, we could always take a cheap punt on potential for that squad role.

Getting Ugarte in and keeping Amrabat wouldn’t be terrible business but I do think we should aim higher or take a risk on a young talent if possible over Amrabat. Someone like the Veiga guy Chelsea are about to sign from Basel would have been ideal.

Funny, a week ago nobody wanted him because he wasn't Neves or some lab experimental cross of prime Scholes, Keane and Frenkie de Jong.

Now I'm alone in this ABU^2 world.
He is insane in FM24. This is all I know about him. Just don’t want us overpay.

I love how these two always seem to crop up on lists for potential DLP's but never get even loosely linked

I watched a lot of Lyon games last season. Caqueret was very good defensively and great on the ball as well. For the longest time, he was the only positive aspect of the club last season. However, for some reason, it seems that no one is interested in him.

I watched a lot of Lyon games last season. Caqueret was very good defensively and great on the ball as well. For the longest time, he was the only positive aspect of the club last season. However, for some reason, it seems that no one is interested in him.

Didn't he turned down Milan when Lyon were at their lowest? I think he's just a home bird.

What’s his ability like on the ball and in tight spaces? Does he have good technical ability?

We’ve had huge issues in this area for years now with the likes of Fred & Mctominnay and then Amrabat & Casimero all awful in these situations. All slow on the turn & clumsy on the ball, it’s a made building up from the back such an issue.

Mainoo has shown the level of technique needed in these areas and I’m hoping any midfield signings follow suit.
Always thought Fred was great in tight spaces, good technique and very quick on the turn.
It was his passing ability (or inability in this case) and lack of speed that forced him out.

Always thought Fred was great in tight spaces, good technique and very quick on the turn.
It was his passing ability (or inability in this case) and lack of speed that forced him out.
Like many things with Fred, he was inconsistent with it. One time he'd get out of a tight space well, then the next time he'd lose it badly in a dangerous position.

Counterpoints: Arguably the best West Ham player (just got their POTY award last season) + peak age + just extended contract to 2030 last year + England squad for Euro + English tax + United tax. I doubt he’ll be available for less than an Antony. All moot discussion though, I never heard of our interest, your suggestion/speculation was literally the first.
Ok fair point. And I’m not saying we’ve been linked with him. I got asked who I’d sign as like a creative forward type player and I said it would have been Olise but Bowen wouldn’t be a bad shout.

The only way Casemiro stays is if he significantly lowers his wages IMO.
The way he stays is if he just tells us he will see out his contract with the club and for the exact amount of money per week that is in his contract.
We are the ones that fecked up by signing a player that had one or two good years left in him to a long term contract....fecking madness!

Multiple transfer deals happening at the same time!?!

It's sad that I have such a low bar for what I consider exciting for transfer related work by the club

Status
Not open for further replies.