Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fully on board after reading this,just remains to be seen how concrete our interest is. Who do people think could be the ideal playmaker we need to sign?
you have the likes of Lookman, Frimpong, Zirkzee, Ugarte, Araujo, Yoro, Todibo....all young players that fit the profile. even a kid like Nico Williams who has a release clause

you have the likes of Lookman, Frimpong, Zirkzee, Ugarte, Araujo, Yoro, Todibo....all young players that fit the profile. even a kid like Nico Williams who has a release clause

Sorry should have specified midfield playmaker

another name we should be looking at is Jonathon David...another young attacking player so a decent transfer fee
Nah he doesn't look good enough. I don't know how good he was for Lille but watching him for Canada at the Copa America, he misses way too many chances.

another name we should be looking at is Jonathon David...another young attacking player so a decent transfer fee
I've only seen him playing for Canada as I don't watch league 1 regularly but whenever I've seen him play he doesn't stand out. I know he has decent stats in France but doesn't look anything special to me.

I really hope we get Ugarte. If we are able to add Ugarte, De Ligt, and Branthwaite to the defensive/build up portion of our squad, then I’d say we are very well set, not just for the forthcoming season, but the next few. A back six of Onana, Dalot, De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez, Ugarte, and Mainoo, has everything you want on paper.

By adding De Ligt and Branthwaite you have the right foot/left foot combo so coveted, plenty of height and physicality, recovery pace, aerial prowess, and the ability to be aggressive, front foot and high lined. I think Martinez is tailor made for the Gvardiol, inverted full back role where he slides into a back three when in possession, pushing forwards into defensive midfield and using his passing ability, while Dalot pushes high up the flank. As a core defensive three, De Ligt, Branthwaite and Martinez is extremely competitive and robust and extremely competent and progressive with their passing.

Ugarte and Mainoo screening in front of the back four and progressing the ball would also be extremely effective in my opinion. The mobility and aggression of Ugarte would allow Mainoo to push on with Martinez stepping forwards to fill that void. I don’t see United ever getting out fought with De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez and Ugarte together as the defensive core. And I love my teams to be extremely competitive and hard to play against. They are also all technically excellent.

I am not sure we’ll get all three, but if we do, I think we could be extremely happy with our summer business. Players all yet to really enter their prime coming in and all of a high quality.

It would leave us with a lack of quality still in the front five. Bruno is a must of course, another great competitor, and Mount is a more than able rotational option there. But relying on Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho as the front three, maybe they’ll surprise me, but I just don’t see enough goals there. We’ll struggle to offload Antony, and frankly I’d rather see his minutes go to Diallo. But we are going to have to hope that Antony does really push on this season because we are going to struggle to raise enough funds to bring in a meaningfully decent forward. Zirkee seems like a rotational option being mooted, but I don’t think he’s going to come in and suddenly score a boatload of goals. So with all that said, I think we’ll need to take a punt on at least one young talent that has very high potential but is still quite unproven. Someone like Doue. I don’t see how we are going to afford anyone else.

So much is going to come down to Rashford…..again. If he has a poor season next season, I think we still struggle to score goals. If he returns to form, I think it gives defences enough to worry about that it gives Hojlund and Garnacho space to operate and excel. Much has been made of Garnacho, and he’s definitely a big talent, but he’s still so raw. His decision making in the final third is generally shocking, and his finishing is incredibly inconsistent. If we go into the season with Rashford, Hojlund, Garnacho, Antony, Diallo and Zirkee as our forward options, I struggle to see how we’ll score enough goals.
I see things largely the same.

With most of our serious links (bar Zirkzee) being in the more defensive areas, combined with our issues there last season and the fact that Varane is leaving, Evans is another year older, Maguire, Lindelof and Casemiro may all be leaving, and we may not be bringing Amrabat back, it makes me wonder if we're just focusing on building that part of the team this season. Get by with Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Antony, Bruno and Mount for now, all of whom (bar maybe Bruno) have question marks of some type over them so we see how they develop over the next 12 months, at which time we then have a better idea what attacking positions we need to focus on the next season.

I see things largely the same.

With most of our serious links (bar Zirkzee) being in the more defensive areas, combined with our issues there last season and the fact that Varane is leaving, Evans is another year older, Maguire, Lindelof and Casemiro may all be leaving, and we may not be bringing Amrabat back, it makes me wonder if we're just focusing on building that part of the team this season. Get by with Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Antony, Bruno and Mount for now, all of whom (bar maybe Bruno) have question marks of some type over them so we see how they develop over the next 12 months, at which time we then have a better idea what attacking positions we need to focus on the next season.
We scored too few goals last season and there were games where if we had been more clinical when we had momentum they would have been put to bed before it swung but we made our bed last season, also due to factors beyond our control as there just aren't any top strikers around, and we need to see it through with Hoijlund and Garnacho whilst hoping Rashford improves massively. Clearly our defense needs a lot of work on the starters and the players in rotation because after Maguire the standard is pitiful.

So hopefully improvements in defensive midfield and central defense should mean we need less goals to earn points. A more stable outfit has a higher floor and like you said we have a pool of young players who are constantly improving. If Garnacho, Mainoo, Hoijlund and Amad add an average of 5 more goals each due to natural progression in their careers then we'd be in a better place. If Zirkee comes in and contributes 15 g+a on top then we will be on the right path.

What's more important, to me, is to come out of this window with a solid team that can outfight anyone in midfield in this league and a solid defense that makes it possible to win many games by one goal margins.

speaking of Aruajo....saw this today
The 25-year-old has been linked with Manchester United in the past, and Barça believe they could receive a significant offer with United boss Erik ten Hag intending to reshape his defence.
Barça are looking for at least £75 million for the Uruguay international, though that could be too rich for United as they look to stay within profit and sustainability rules.
Araújo has been in impressive form while representing his national team at the Copa América.
I've seen it floated around, looks like classic skint Barca whoring their assets around more than concrete interest from us.

Shame because he plays RCB and RB (massive bonus) and would complete a fantastic triangle of death with Licha and Ugarte. He is on 125k/week which makes it very feasible.

I’m not in my 20s anymore… better late than never!
Give me a shout if you do

Yawn

I may have been excited if we signed him in June. Just tired of bullshit now. We are still not clinical. Sign or move on, feck this back-n-forth crap

Yawn

I may have been excited if we signed him in June. Just tired of bullshit now. We are still not clinical. Sign or move on, feck this back-n-forth crap
He's at the Copa America, deals don't usually go through until the tournament is over or the player get knocked out. Calculate the mandatory rest period after participating in an international tournament, that's the earliest he'll be available so I don't get the rush. Same applies to Zirkzee and De Ligt.

Yawn

You big baby :lol: these sort of entitled lack of logic or just a bit of common sense posts are hilarious.

I must have missed all the other business the top clubs are doing, oh wait they're not, funny that, because NewGlory wants wants wants signings now now now.

He's at the Copa America, deals don't usually go through until the tournament is over or the player get knocked out. Calculate the mandatory rest period after participating in an international tournament, that's the earliest he'll be available so I don't get the rush. Same applies to Zirkzee and De Ligt.

ok, but am I allowed to still be annoyed? Also, he could have been signed before starting of Copa, could he not?

You big baby :lol: these sort of entitled lack of logic or just a bit of common sense posts are hilarious.

I must have missed all the other business the top clubs are doing, oh wait they're not, funny that, because NewGlory wants wants wants signings now now now.
Hey! I am proud of being a big baby, ok? Please pass me that fancy pacifier next to the bottle of beer :)

ok, but am I allowed to still be annoyed? Also, he could have been signed before starting of Copa, could he not?
Feel free to be annoyed, I don't think his first training session will be delayed from the earliest possible time though.

Newcastle and Chelsea have both signed players and those 2 are our rivals for league positions, other premier League clubs have also signed players.

FC Bayern signed Joao Palhina while he was playing for Portugal at the Euro's which kind of shows the claims that players cant be signed during an International Tournament are nonsence.

Newcastle and Chelsea have both signed players and those 2 are our rivals for league positions, other premier League clubs have also signed players.

FC Bayern signed Joao Palhina while he was playing for Portugal at the Euro's which kind of shows the claims that players cant be signed during an International Tournament are nonsence.
How often does that happen, I don't see the rush from both parties. People always looking for the slightest thing to complain about. How does it affect the season or long term he isn't signed up already, when he won't be available for minimum three weeks after his tournament ends?

While it is possible to sign a player during an international tournament, it's obviously less likely as most players will want to be focused entirely on their national team. Palhinha isn't a great example as he had all the personal terms agreed 12 months ago so there was basically no need for negotiations. Even so it hasn't officially happened yet.

How often does that happen, I don't see the rush from both parties. People always looking for the slightest thing to complain about. How does it affect the season or long term he isn't signed up already, when he won't be available for minimum three weeks after his tournament ends?

I think people are just annoyed that every summer our rivals get a head start on us in the transfer market because we are always too slow to get anything done and as a result we usually end up missing out on primary targets or having to pay over the odd's.

People using Paulinha as an example he was almost certain to sign for them this season after narrowly missing out last season

So two clubs who were forced to act due to their PSR problems and one who had finally completed the signing of a player they've been desperately trying to get for a year. Cool.

I think people are just annoyed that every summer our rivals get a head start on us in the transfer market because we are always too slow to get anything done and as a result we usually end up missing out on primary targets or having to pay over the odd's.
It's just fan muppetry. The only bid (reported by reputable sources) we have made was for a player not involved in the international competitions. There's no rush with players are focusing on the Euros/Copa. The club can lay down a plan and do the ground works with it's new executives on ground waiting to attack when this players actually become available to close a deal which seem to be what is going on. Plus I think this deal will depend on Casemiro existing, we seem to be utilizing a one out one in policy.

Hope Brazil knock them out just so we can push on with this deal

After that injury scare has he played since?

So two clubs who were forced to act due to their PSR problems and one who had finally completed the signing of a player they've been desperately trying to get for a year. Cool.
I'm happy enough to cut us some slack this summer while we've been sorting out the manager / transfer recruitment issues. However those issues do seem to have slowed us down when you look at what the clubs around us in the table have done so far...

As has been mentioned, Chelsea and Newcastle who finished just above us have done 2 first team deals; while those who finished just below us have done 2 (Palace) and 3 (West Ham and Brighton).

The top 4 teams, who'll probably be doing less business anyway as they're in better places, haven't done much so far. Though Arsenal have made a loan move permanent with their #1 - whereas our loan (Amrabat) still hasn't been confirmed what's happening either way.

If you go off the rumours, it does sound like we have established targets in key positions. But no sound of any imminent progress with them, and there seems to be big issues delaying progress with some of our #1 targets (excessive agent fees, multi-ownership, club unwilling to sell, etc).

Provided the rumours are true about the (slow) progress with the De Ligt, Ugarte, Zirkzee deals then there's no big concerns as we should eventually get them in in time. However, if we don't end up getting them (or the interest was media exaggeration) and we have to move on to other targets, then time does become an issue regarding having our additions in before our pre-season preparation. It's much better being able to work on a planned tactic during the pre-season rather than still be working on getting key areas in late in the window and only getting things in place just before / after the start of the season.

names on the list....Eze, Xavi Simmons, Kudus

Names that are within reach of going after off the top of my head
Kudus as a RW, sure (before, now he'll be too expensive). The others are not players we need at all, despite being very good players. Going after those is the same as going after mount when we have Bruno, Bruno when we have Pogba, Pogba when we have mata, mata when we have Kagawa. This club post Sir Alex has a habit of mis profiling attacking midfielders/advanced playmakers for other positions and then stockpiling loads of them rather than just addressing the actual needs. We need a younger ball winner like Ugarte, we need center backs, and then some depth/competition with Hojlund. The rest can wait.

Kudus as a RW, sure (before, now he'll be too expensive). The others are not players we need at all, despite being very good players. Going after those is the same as going after mount when we have Bruno, Bruno when we have Pogba, Pogba when we have mata, mata when we have Kagawa. This club post Sir Alex has a habit of mis profiling attacking midfielders/advanced playmakers for other positions and then stockpiling loads of them rather than just addressing the actual needs. We need a younger ball winner like Ugarte, we need center backs, and then some depth/competition with Hojlund. The rest can wait.

Agreed.

Couldn't agree more with this. We have to buy players for positions we are weakest in and Mount is a perfect example of wasted capital as he was never going to displace Bruno nor excel at the 8 position, it was dumb money spending £60m on him. Hopefully with Ashworth in that nonsense ends now but I am worried by the De Ligt pursuit, players have a tendency to have their worst flaws exposed brutally at United. Hope I am wrong as we seem to be pressing ahead on this.

No. Of course not.
Ha, ok

By the way, there are quite a few deals that have already been done, including West Ham signing Kilman for 40mil and many more I am too lazy to type

Point is: no other club needs to buy as many (at least 7) and move on as many (at least 10) players as us, so we can't just sit on our asses and be behind everybody until mid-late July. So there is that

Players playing at national teams are not the only ones we should be targetting

Ha, ok

By the way, there are quite a few deals that have already been done, including West Ham signing Kilman for 40mil and many more I am too lazy to type

Point is: no other club needs to buy as many (at least 7) and move on as many (at least 10) players as us, so we can't just sit on our asses and be behind everybody until mid-late July. So there is that

we are not signing seven players.

Ha, ok

I believe the only player we are currently targeting who is not away with their country is Branthwaite. Anyone else will be dependent on sales.

This is misleading as this transfer was basically done last summer. Not really a good example.

Hope we sign this guy. He’s what we need in midfield. Aggression and physicality. He’ll be the perfect partner for Mainoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.