Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he be fit or Sunday Morning's Copa America Quarter final against Brazil? would be good to get a look at him in such a big match.

Here’s me thinking by Sunday Morning you mean a 8/9am treat to start the day.

2:00am?! Yeah keep me posted.

That's why you have to understand why a player had failed elsewhere and whether he's got the characteristics to play in the position you need him to play in and how the balance within the team is reached. In Ugarte's case its down to Enriquez wanting every player to be a Pirlo. Its the tiki taka line of school of thought that makes these managers great when they are given blank cheques year in year out but will feck them over when they go and manage a Roma for example. In terms of United Ugarte's superb work rate and his humility to play it safe would fit us as a glove. He'll add much added steel in that weak midfield which in turn will allow Mainoo and Bruno to shine. I am more concerned about De Ligt TBH. But that's for another thread.

I dont disagree but you and I both know these forums will have lots of posters saying he isnt good enough on the ball and same within the crowd. We've seen it with Ander and other hard working ball winning players such as AWB

Eriksen is finished, he has zero to offer in my opinion and relying on him even for the odd games is setting us up for failure.

Last season he looked like a 38yo Scholes off the ball. He’s usually pretty great for Denmark but in the Euros he was a non factor too despite being covered by multiple DMs and Denmark playing 3 CBs.

Most importantly with how irresponsible Ten Hag’s midfield setup is Eriksen would age another 3 years next season. Not even prime Kante can save him unfortunately.

This is simply not true, most fans and media agree that he was one of our best players, not that it say a lot, but simply not true that he was a non factor.. But I do agree that we shouldnt count on him as a starter, but he can be a factor in some odd games also because he is on low money.

I dont disagree but you and I both know these forums will have lots of posters saying he isnt good enough on the ball and same within the crowd. We've seen it with Ander and other hard working ball winning players such as AWB

With wingers becoming inside forwards, the fullback role had become one of the most complex in football. They are expected to cover what traditionally was a two player role (defending and classic winger). In fact Gaz himself had said that he'll probably wouldn't succeed in modern football. AWB can cover one role but not the other. That puts us in a huge disadvantage as there's no width coming from the RW. Our opponents can't get arsed covering for it and would just follow the inside forward thus limiting the efficiency from the RW in a significant way.

Regarding Herrera I never had an issue about him up until he was asking silly money to stay. I am aware that its the club fault etc. However a Nicky Butt should never ask a Zidane's salary as he would never get it especially if he's reaching an age when a physical decline might be inevitable. That doesn't mean that Herrera was a bad player.

this kid has been an absolute rock for Uruguay in the middle so far in the Copa America....he's also quite mobile which helps

reminds me a bit of Nicky Butt with the south american bite

Last edited:
He's a good player who offers something we currently don't have and improves the current United squad. A floor-raiser option IMO but possibly with a limited ceiling, but that doesn't make it a bad signing. It just means that he probably isn't good enough to be a nailed-on starter for a team that's seriously competing for the PL and CL every season, but that should be 2-3 years away at least, and he's probably going to be at least good enough to be a squad player in a team like that.

He's also someone who IMO cannot play a single-pivot #6 in a 4-3-3 setup, at least not yet, so he will probably be paired in a double pivot with Mainoo, more likely in a 4-2-3-1.

It should be a pretty straightforward deal if we do actually seriously want him. It's been reported that he's open to the idea of joining United, and PSG are willing to let him go.

They also bought him for 51m last summer and he hasn't exactly been one of the first names on the team sheet for PSG, so I don't see why people earlier thought my suggestion of not paying more than 35-40m for him was unrealistic. Seems like the club have a similar valuation in mind as well.

Thanks for the info.

Is he a Casemiro replacement do you think? Are we talking like a Rice type of player?

This is the midfield signing I want us to sign. Need a destroyer like him to match Martinez. We need to put fear into opponents again

We were also looking at versatile forwards with Sancho and Greenwood also leaving. So I have no idea. Its likely but also his goal tally does not scream central option
It’s the perfect signing for us. A striker that doesn’t score goals. It’s been that way since RVP left… with the exception of one decent season from Lukaku.

welcome to the board....

Forlan could have had a brilliant career at United but unfortunately for him, he came to United at a time when we had Ruud, Cole, Yorke, Ole, Saha and then Ronaldo came along

I've watched each uruguay match and Ugarte has been very good in all of them. i think he would be brilliant alongside Mainoo as he has that aggressive style of play that Kobbie doesn't have defensively
Uruguayans are fecking badasses. Aruajo (CB) is a straight up thug — love him. Would love Ugarte on this team. We need that kind of world class shithousery too. Dealing with the likes of Rodri, Rice, Enzo, feck McGinn in the PL without a single player versed in the dark arts, paired with a young Mainoo… seems naive.

I think Uruguay is on my top 5 list to visit, always wanted to go…

This is the midfield signing I want us to sign. Need a destroyer like him to match Martinez. We need to put fear into opponents again

Interesting to see in Howson video about him he thinks we should try and get Rabiot too, personally don't see that ever happening due to wage demands and no Champions League

It’s the perfect signing for us. A striker that doesn’t score goals. It’s been that way since RVP left… with the exception of one decent season from Lukaku.
Lukaku please. Ibrahimovic, Martial, Ronaldo, hell even Rashford have given us better goals scoring playing up top without completely destroying the entire fabric of decent football.

Interesting to see in Howson video about him he thinks we should try and get Rabiot too, personally don't see that ever happening due to wage demands and no Champions League
Ye haven’t we already tried signing him but his mum stopped the deal from happening by being to greedy. Not the kind of player we want or to deal with.

Martinez and Ugarte on the same field ...:drool:
And De Ligt seems to have a bit of fight in him. Sure he was a captain from a very young age. Good start in changing the culture.

Bruno
Martinez
Ugarte
De Ligt

All have quality and bite.

we need a team full of cnuts like that chelsea team with costa and luiz etc. i think it'd bring out the best in some of the younger players too knowing they're protected by their teammates.

And De Ligt seems to have a bit of fight in him. Sure he was a captain from a very young age. Good start in changing the culture.

Bruno
Martinez
Ugarte
De Ligt

All down the spine too.

Bruno
Martinez
Ugarte
De Ligt

100%. Just need a ST that’s similar then we have a full spine of quality and players with bite who’ll strike fear into opponents.

Hojlund obviously still young and growing but he has a bit of bite in him.
Fair point. Defence and midfield is more important when it comes to feisty players I think. Games are usually won with the midfield battle.

And now Onana is settled, I hope he becomes more insane as well. I want 11 headcases on that pitch for a laugh.

Uruguayans are fecking badasses. Aruajo (CB) is a straight up thug — love him. Would love Ugarte on this team. We need that kind of world class shithousery too. Dealing with the likes of Rodri, Rice, Enzo, feck McGinn in the PL without a single player versed in the dark arts, paired with a young Mainoo… seems naive.

speaking of Aruajo....saw this today

Barcelona could look to move on centre-back Ronald Araújo this summer after he entered the final two years of his contract, reports Sport.
The Blaugrana haven't made any progress with contract talks and have no plans to improve their previous offer.
Araújo is one of the players the LaLiga side believe they could offload to bring in funds to strengthen the squad in other areas.
The 25-year-old has been linked with Manchester United in the past, and Barça believe they could receive a significant offer with United boss Erik ten Hag intending to reshape his defence.
Barça are looking for at least £75 million for the Uruguay international, though that could be too rich for United as they look to stay within profit and sustainability rules.
Araújo has been in impressive form while representing his national team at the Copa América.

Garnacho is really tenacious too and never stops running. We are putting together a potential side that will never be outfought anyway, and that was one of the most disappointing things in recent years watching Rashford/Martial.

I will be much more content as a fan watching games and knowing we won’t get outfought.

Garnacho is really tenacious too and never stops running. We are putting together a potential side that will never be outfought anyway, and that was one of the most disappointing things in recent years watching Rashford/Martial.

I will be much more content as a fan watching games and knowing we won’t get outfought.

Yeah IF we can get deals done for Ugarte and De Ligt then will definitely win more battles on the pitch

speaking of Aruajo....saw this today

Barcelona could look to move on centre-back Ronald Araújo this summer after he entered the final two years of his contract, reports Sport.
The Blaugrana haven't made any progress with contract talks and have no plans to improve their previous offer.
Araújo is one of the players the LaLiga side believe they could offload to bring in funds to strengthen the squad in other areas.
The 25-year-old has been linked with Manchester United in the past, and Barça believe they could receive a significant offer with United boss Erik ten Hag intending to reshape his defence.
Barça are looking for at least £75 million for the Uruguay international, though that could be too rich for United as they look to stay within profit and sustainability rules.
Araújo has been in impressive form while representing his national team at the Copa América.
Yeah I saw this post too but 1) not enough credible journalists reporting on this at the moment so I’m not getting my hopes up and 2) the price being quoted is way too high

Also - we currently have 2 right footed CBs in Maguire + Lindelof and if De Ligt is also joining then that’s 3.
For us to be able to afford him, there would have to be a lot of moving pieces. We’d likely have to move on both Maguire + Lindelof for starters.
I also don’t think we’d be able to afford Braithwaite as a result.

I think this is just fake noise to sell clicks by putting our name in the mix. (Not even sure it’s a mix considering only our clubs name was mentioned but surely other clubs will be interested if Barca is genuinely going to move him on).

Edit: sorry I just realized this is the Ugarte thread so I’ll avoid continuing the convo here.

Yeah IF we can get deals done for Ugarte and De Ligt then will definitely win more battles on the pitch

Ball is in our court. Player wants to come, no other competition lurking, reasonable fees being demanded by the selling clubs. Just a matter of negotiating as much as we can and paying up

Went to Punta Del Este 20 years ago. Heaven as a 20 something.

Hojlund obviously still young and growing but he has a bit of bite in him.
First they have to get past Højlund, who looks like he has a set of strong gnashers.

Next they encounter Ugarte who‘s all over them like a bull dawg terrier. He don‘t let up.

Anybody gets past that, Martinez goes for the legs while De Ligt pulverizes what’s left.

Status
Not open for further replies.