Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted him last summer, and hopefully, from now on, we’ll be focused on getting players like him on their first big move. Yes, we could skip Ugarte and start doing that now, but I think it’s rare that someone like him comes available at around the same price as they moved for, and its not as if Ugarte has flopped hard at PSG.

Ball is in our court. Player wants to come, no other competition lurking, reasonable fees being demanded by the selling clubs. Just a matter of negotiating as much as we can and paying up

Not quite the same amount of noise around as De Ligt but at least referenced by reliable sources, ideally we can also sign a deep lying playmaker too but that's dependent on selling Casemiro & Eriksen/McTominay

Last edited:
First they have to get past Højlund, who looks like he has a set of strong gnashers.

Next they encounter Ugarte who‘s all over them like a bull dawg terrier. He don‘t let up.

Anybody gets past that, Martinez goes for the legs while De Ligt pulverizes what’s left.

Criminal that you left out beaver Bruno in this post.

I really hope we get Ugarte. If we are able to add Ugarte, De Ligt, and Branthwaite to the defensive/build up portion of our squad, then I’d say we are very well set, not just for the forthcoming season, but the next few. A back six of Onana, Dalot, De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez, Ugarte, and Mainoo, has everything you want on paper.

By adding De Ligt and Branthwaite you have the right foot/left foot combo so coveted, plenty of height and physicality, recovery pace, aerial prowess, and the ability to be aggressive, front foot and high lined. I think Martinez is tailor made for the Gvardiol, inverted full back role where he slides into a back three when in possession, pushing forwards into defensive midfield and using his passing ability, while Dalot pushes high up the flank. As a core defensive three, De Ligt, Branthwaite and Martinez is extremely competitive and robust and extremely competent and progressive with their passing.

Ugarte and Mainoo screening in front of the back four and progressing the ball would also be extremely effective in my opinion. The mobility and aggression of Ugarte would allow Mainoo to push on with Martinez stepping forwards to fill that void. I don’t see United ever getting out fought with De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez and Ugarte together as the defensive core. And I love my teams to be extremely competitive and hard to play against. They are also all technically excellent.

I am not sure we’ll get all three, but if we do, I think we could be extremely happy with our summer business. Players all yet to really enter their prime coming in and all of a high quality.

It would leave us with a lack of quality still in the front five. Bruno is a must of course, another great competitor, and Mount is a more than able rotational option there. But relying on Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho as the front three, maybe they’ll surprise me, but I just don’t see enough goals there. We’ll struggle to offload Antony, and frankly I’d rather see his minutes go to Diallo. But we are going to have to hope that Antony does really push on this season because we are going to struggle to raise enough funds to bring in a meaningfully decent forward. Zirkee seems like a rotational option being mooted, but I don’t think he’s going to come in and suddenly score a boatload of goals. So with all that said, I think we’ll need to take a punt on at least one young talent that has very high potential but is still quite unproven. Someone like Doue. I don’t see how we are going to afford anyone else.

So much is going to come down to Rashford…..again. If he has a poor season next season, I think we still struggle to score goals. If he returns to form, I think it gives defences enough to worry about that it gives Hojlund and Garnacho space to operate and excel. Much has been made of Garnacho, and he’s definitely a big talent, but he’s still so raw. His decision making in the final third is generally shocking, and his finishing is incredibly inconsistent. If we go into the season with Rashford, Hojlund, Garnacho, Antony, Diallo and Zirkee as our forward options, I struggle to see how we’ll score enough goals.

I really hope we get Ugarte. If we are able to add Ugarte, De Ligt, and Branthwaite to the defensive/build up portion of our squad, then I’d say we are very well set, not just for the forthcoming season, but the next few. A back six of Onana, Dalot, De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez, Ugarte, and Mainoo, has everything you want on paper.

By adding De Ligt and Branthwaite you have the right foot/left foot combo so coveted, plenty of height and physicality, recovery pace, aerial prowess, and the ability to be aggressive, front foot and high lined. I think Martinez is tailor made for the Gvardiol, inverted full back role where he slides into a back three when in possession, pushing forwards into defensive midfield and using his passing ability, while Dalot pushes high up the flank. As a core defensive three, De Ligt, Branthwaite and Martinez is extremely competitive and robust and extremely competent and progressive with their passing.

Ugarte and Mainoo screening in front of the back four and progressing the ball would also be extremely effective in my opinion. The mobility and aggression of Ugarte would allow Mainoo to push on with Martinez stepping forwards to fill that void. I don’t see United ever getting out fought with De Ligt, Branthwaite, Martinez and Ugarte together as the defensive core. And I love my teams to be extremely competitive and hard to play against. They are also all technically excellent.

I am not sure we’ll get all three, but if we do, I think we could be extremely happy with our summer business. Players all yet to really enter their prime coming in and all of a high quality.

It would leave us with a lack of quality still in the front five. Bruno is a must of course, another great competitor, and Mount is a more than able rotational option there. But relying on Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho as the front three, maybe they’ll surprise me, but I just don’t see enough goals there. We’ll struggle to offload Antony, and frankly I’d rather see his minutes go to Diallo. But we are going to have to hope that Antony does really push on this season because we are going to struggle to raise enough funds to bring in a meaningfully decent forward. Zirkee seems like a rotational option being mooted, but I don’t think he’s going to come in and suddenly score a boatload of goals. So with all that said, I think we’ll need to take a punt on at least one young talent that has very high potential but is still quite unproven. Someone like Doue. I don’t see how we are going to afford anyone else.

So much is going to come down to Rashford…..again. If he has a poor season next season, I think we still struggle to score goals. If he returns to form, I think it gives defences enough to worry about that it gives Hojlund and Garnacho space to operate and excel. Much has been made of Garnacho, and he’s definitely a big talent, but he’s still so raw. His decision making in the final third is generally shocking, and his finishing is incredibly inconsistent. If we go into the season with Rashford, Hojlund, Garnacho, Antony, Diallo and Zirkee as our forward options, I struggle to see how we’ll score enough goals.
Never considered Martinez becoming an inverted fullback, but now you say it, it does sound like an appealing option and you’re right we’re suddenly super aggressive and competitive, which is what ETH wants from his midfield and back line.

I'd be quite happy if we were to get Ugarte along with the other two rumoured names (De Ligt and Zirkzee)... We'd have strengthened three positions that needed that.

Has this deal paused? We looking at other players or still talking to PSG?

I agree with everything here. We're never getting both De Ligt and Branthwaite though, are we?

I agree with everything here. We're never getting both De Ligt and Branthwaite though, are we?
Agree with both posts and we aren't getting Branthwaite and De Lit in one window and then spend 80m - 100m on Zirkee and Ugarte. It's just not feasible unless we make significant sales. I'd assume we will lean heavily on scouting, talent ID and punts for additional signings, for example the 2nd CB, like what we did with Malacia, Pellistiri etc.

Has this deal paused? We looking at other players or still talking to PSG?

We won’t hear much until the Euros and Copa America are done even if we agreed a fee they won’t be concluding deals for some weeks

Agree with both posts and we aren't getting Branthwaite and De Lit in one window and then spend 80m - 100m on Zirkee and Ugarte. It's just not feasible unless we make significant sales. I'd assume we will lean heavily on scouting, talent ID and punts for additional signings, for example the 2nd CB, like what we did with Malacia, Pellistiri etc.

Let’s hope Mr. Vivell can have slightly more success than those particular punts.

I think it depends on outgoings. Varane has left and will be replaced by De Ligt it seems. If one of Maguire or Lindelof leaves, we will need another CB. I think the plan is the long term reshaping of the squad, and Branthwaite is a PL proven, left footed, home grown CB of high quality. There’s no doubt the club wants him. I think if they can get him, they will. They’ll just close the De Ligt deal first so that options aren’t so desperate.

I think most understand at this point that what we do in the transfer market will be dependant on who goes out. I suspect Maguire will want to be first choice somewhere, but we’ve got to shift Donny, Sancho, Greenwood, Eriksen, Hannibal, possibly Casemiro in order to bring in all the players we want. So I think it’s a case of wait and see. For the first time in a long time, I think United are forward planning. Branthwaite will be earmarked for this summer or next and he’s likely to cost less now than in 12 months, assuming he continues his performance levels.

Any insight on how PSG fans feel about this or from Ligue 1 watchers on the season he’s just had?

What is mostly stated in that topic (the posts I read), is that he doesn't really suit their style of play. Not Luis Enrique's type of player. A team that probably has most possession for almost every game. He'd be great in a counter team.

Were Sporting SP a counter-attacking side?

What is mostly stated in that topic (the posts I read), is that he doesn't really suit their style of play. Not Luis Enrique's type of player. A team that probably has most possession for almost every game. He'd be great in a counter team.

Yeah that is supposedly why they're getting rid. He's got great numbers on the defensive part of his play, winning back the ball, tackling etc, but he's not the best when in possession. He's got a solid passing percentage, but he plays a lot of sideways and defensive pass. PSG are in possession most of the time and got Fabian Ruiz, Vitinha, Zaire-Emery etc so they're well stocked. So I wouldn't read too much into them being OK with him leaving. I think he'd be a great replacement for Casemiro.

Yeah that is supposedly why they're getting rid. He's got great numbers on the defensive part of his play, winning back the ball, tackling etc, but he's not the best when in possession. He's got a solid passing percentage, but he plays a lot of sideways and defensive pass. PSG are in possession most of the time and got Fabian Ruiz, Vitinha, Zaire-Emery etc so they're well stocked. So I wouldn't read too much into them being OK with him leaving. I think he'd be a great replacement for Casemiro.

Yeah would like to see us sign him, however we will also need to bring in a deep lying playmaker profile who is strong in possession too

Would definitely suit us then

Thanks for the translation mate. When i lived in Belgium i lived in the Vlemish part in Oostende so never had to understand french hehe.

I did not think we were a counter attacking side either after Solskjær left but still more legs than Casemiro atleast. And he can breakup play. But he is very good at dribbling so can push forwad with the ball so could be good for many styles but not tiki taka!

Thanks for the translation mate. When i lived in Belgium i lived in the Vlemish part in Oostende so never had to understand french hehe.

I did not think we were a counter attacking side either after Solskjær left but still more legs than Casemiro atleast. And he can breakup play. But he is very good at dribbling so can push forwad with the ball so could be good for many styles but not tiki taka!

We aren't a tiki taka team so it's fine

Most Flemish people never use French, or the other way around :lol: Oostende, my first girlfriend lived there. Fond memories.

I'm fully on board after reading this,just remains to be seen how concrete our interest is. Who do people think could be the ideal playmaker we need to sign?

De Ligt at CB though wish it was Todibo
Ugarte at DCM

i think those two are pretty clear

Watched Uruguay in all Copa matches and the kid is solid in all phases of how he plays

Status
Not open for further replies.