Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘’Uruguayan Kante’’. I think that is very misleading thumbnail if we compare it to what you said about Ugarte in the video.

Based on your video you mentioned two interesting things that he is lacking.

One, you mentioned something like he doesn’t tackle cleanly like Kante or Rice (which means he will commit fouls often). Kante is a great tackler.

Two, you mentioned something like he’s more front foot type of guy where he will go aggressive to get the ball before the opposition players get it first, but when the opponent got the ball especially on the counter, while he’s behind or off position, Ugarte often doesn’t chase to win the ball back or he’s not capable to run quick enough to win the ball back from behind. That’s not something Kante would do, Kante will cover lot of grounds and often capable to win tackle by chasing from behind.
Good observations

‘’Uruguayan Kante’’. I think that is very misleading thumbnail if we compare it to what you said about Ugarte in the video.

Based on your video you mentioned two interesting things that he is lacking.

One, you mentioned something like he doesn’t tackle cleanly like Kante or Rice (which means he will commit fouls often). Kante is a great tackler.

Two, you mentioned something like he’s more front foot type of guy where he will go aggressive to get the ball before the opposition players get it first, but when the opponent got the ball especially on the counter, while he’s behind or off position, Ugarte often doesn’t chase to win the ball back or he’s not capable to run quick enough to win the ball back from behind. That’s not something Kante would do, Kante will cover lot of grounds and often capable to win tackle by chasing from behind.

correct but the two things you mentioned are more to do with quality deficiencies relative to Kante who is a goat at those qualities vs positional or role based differences. He’s a ball winning destroyer in the mould of Kante and Gattuso. Kante is a way better player and more well rounded as an overall footballer but the point was that Ugarte needs to be let loose as a ball winner not told to sit like a Makelele.

Oh for sure I think we would still need to add another midfielder after Ugarte. A more technical midfielder with great passing range that can control tempo.

We definitely do but who is the big question,would also need to sell McTominay or no way are we gonna sign two midfielders this summer

Where would Ugarte fit in? Do we actually need a backward passing destroyer?
Would rather put that money elsewhere towards a better suited player.

Of course a player like him is needed. Casemiro’s finished and we’ve got no other DM at the club. Even if Amrabat’s move is made permanent I don’t think he’s good enough to be relied upon as the main man for that position.

I think we need a player like Ugarte, we also need a midfielder who is better on the ball as well. Amrabat isn’t going to be signed. Mctominay isn’t really a midfielder and Eriksen and Casemiro are both finished (just a case of if they can be moved on before contracts expire).

We are almost starting from scratch in terms of finding someone to play alongside Mainoo and probably take couple of summers at best to sort the midfield out.

For the risks in his game and debate about whether he's an ideal fit next to Mainoo, this deal makes sense as a loan with an option to buy. PSG would probably still go for that, as Enrique wants rid and they could hope that 12 months with us puts him in the shop window if he doesn't decently.

The arrival of Manuel Ugarte to the Premier League to play for Manchester United continues to gain strength The talks between PSG and the English club are positive and the first offer may be sent in the next few hours for the Uruguayan midfielder.

If he's a solid defensive midfielder that can find players wearing the same shirt as him then he'll be a massive upgrade on what we saw trotted out in the middle of the park last year. Amrabat and Casemiro played like a couple of grandads and the latter couldn't pass.

Ugarte Fbref:

Tackles per 90 - 99 percentile
Interceptions - 96
Pass completion - 95
Progressive passes - 24
Volume - 76
Successful take ons - 67

Pure destroyer but zero creativity. I think the idea is Mainoo will be responsible for progressing the ball from deep while Ugarte will focus 100% on defence. Not a bad choice given state of our MF last season. He is the best destroyer currently available.

correct but the two things you mentioned are more to do with quality deficiencies relative to Kante who is a goat at those qualities vs positional or role based differences. He’s a ball winning destroyer in the mould of Kante and Gattuso. Kante is a way better player and more well rounded as an overall footballer but the point was that Ugarte needs to be let loose as a ball winner not told to sit like a Makelele.

So the all important question you sort of didn't get to because the vid is from last season. Do you think a midfield of Ugarte, Mainoo and Bruno will work?

Build-up: With Ugarte / Mainoo, ball carrying and evading pressure from the first line of pressure doesn't seem to be a problem. What they do with it once they beat the first guy remains a question for me. Is there enough intelligence in there to carry / find a line breaking pass when appropriate and keep it simple when it's not?

Counter press: Assuming Mainoo - Ugarte will be a genuine double pivot and they'll take turns going forward. It won't be a Jorginho / Kante type setup where a deep playmaker is paired with a runner. Between Hojlund / Zirkzee, Mainoo, Bruno, Ugarte, Garnacho there seems to be enough legs there.

Is he not good (therefore psg wanting to sell) or he doesn’t fit in their system?

So the all important question you sort of didn't get to because the vid is from last season. Do you think a midfield of Ugarte, Mainoo and Bruno will work?

Build-up: With Ugarte / Mainoo, ball carrying and evading pressure from the first line of pressure doesn't seem to be a problem. What they do with it once they beat the first guy remains a question for me. Is there enough intelligence in there to carry / find a line breaking pass when appropriate and keep it simple when it's not?

Counter press: Assuming Mainoo - Ugarte will be a genuine double pivot and they'll take turns going forward. It won't be a Jorginho / Kante type setup where a deep playmaker is paired with a runner. Between Hojlund / Zirkzee, Mainoo, Bruno, Ugarte, Garnacho there seems to be enough legs there.

In terms of counter pressing, it should be fine. In terms of build up, Mainoo will need to take more of the responsibility because Ugarte doesn't have the pausa to build up play in a considered progressive manner so its not ideal but okish. Defensively in terms of positional play if the press is bypassed, I am concerned as neither Ugarte or Mainoo excel in that respect so we will still be vulnerable to cut backs.

I hope we add one more midfielder who is comfortable on the ball. With Casmeiro, Eriksen and Amarabat hopefully all going, we need to build the new look base of midfield around Mainoo + 2 (I mean for the two main midfielders excluding the AM which will be Bruno and amount). Simply adding one destroying won’t move the needle much for us as a team that control games.

Have never seen him play but the profile seems sorta right. He looks kinda like Fred though, I think we need more of a Matic type, who shields the defence and isn’t a box to box.

Good player profile - age, physicality, position etc. If he can provide balance to a Mainoo + Bruno midfield, we should be in for him.

Watching his compilations he seems a bit higher up the pitch than what we would ideally want, probably because PSG are mostly on the ball and on the offensive.

Good player profile - age, physicality, position etc. If he can provide balance to a Mainoo + Bruno midfield, we should be in for him.

Watching his compilations he seems a bit higher up the pitch than what we would ideally want, probably because PSG are mostly on the ball and on the offensive.

Don't we want to be on the ball and on the offensive with a higher line of defense...

Don't we want to be on the ball and on the offensive with a higher line of defense...
Ideally yes, but realistically he will need to do a lot more defending for us than for PSG in the French league.

Get him in on loan w buy option and sign Lucas Gourna-Douath as a backup DM with a different profile would be the best scenario to solve the DM problem.

I still think we need 2 mids. A destroyer and a DLP. We need someone to dictate tempo from deep and control games. Also someone who can create from deep and spread passes out wide. Don’t fancy Bruno being our only creative player.

Of all the players we are now negotiating for, this is the one I want the most. Get Ugarte, who I think will be really great for us, and then De Ligt would work as I’m confident we’ve got a top 6 in place. Zirkzee would then be a decent punt as we’ve got in the biggest glaring deficiency we’ve had and that’s a decent midfield. We do need another but midfield options of -

Mainoo
Ugarte
Bruno
Mount
McTominay
Insert other player

would be great. If we can ship out McT and bring in a third midfielder that’d be even better but seems like too much work to do in one window

I hope we add one more midfielder who is comfortable on the ball. With Casmeiro, Eriksen and Amarabat hopefully all going, we need to build the new look base of midfield around Mainoo + 2 (I mean for the two main midfielders excluding the AM which will be Bruno and amount). Simply adding one destroying won’t move the needle much for us as a team that control games.

Yeah definitely feel we need to add someone comfortable on the ball,however that's very much dependent on selling Eriksen or not keeping Amrabat.

Ugarte Fbref:

Tackles per 90 - 99 percentile
Interceptions - 96
Pass completion - 95
Progressive passes - 24
Volume - 76
Successful take ons - 67

Pure destroyer but zero creativity. I think the idea is Mainoo will be responsible for progressing the ball from deep while Ugarte will focus 100% on defence. Not a bad choice given state of our MF last season. He is the best destroyer currently available.

If this is true and he is available , we have to get him.

Have never seen him play but the profile seems sorta right. He looks kinda like Fred though, I think we need more of a Matic type, who shields the defence and isn’t a box to box.
What makes you think he is like Fred? The stats show a very different player

For the folks that know more about this chap, how do we line up with him in the team? I am assuming that we are still going to have one of Bruno or Mount playing further up the field.

Is this guy someone who can sit deep and lock the midfield, which I guess makes him someone we pair with Mainoo, or is he someone who goes hunting after the ball, like a Fletcher, so we need to pair him with someone who sits a bit deeper, holds the shape and sprays the ball around?

Status
Not open for further replies.