Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're losing 3 midfielders in Casemiro, Eriksen and Amrabat. We need more than 1 midfield signing honestly.

We wont easily be able to sell Casemiro, will only be able to shift Eriksen if it's for free, and might yet keep Amrabat.

More South Americans the better, I want a team of passionate players that will leave it all out on the pitch.
I'd also get Ezequiel Fernandez. Looks like a player who'll move to Benfica or Porto and get a 80m release clause. We can get him before that happens.

Would take him without a doubt. Good age, competitive and fierce, like most Uruguayans, can run and tackle all day long. Has good experience overall and i think the exact type of signing we should make.

DM is a big weakness and i think he can fill that hole. We need more physical presence and someone winning balls. Yes he is not a playmaker type a la Rodri, but he makes up for it with other qualities essential for a DM and still looks good enough technically/passing wise. Looks like one of the best candidates we could sign this summer for the DM position, especially under ETH, as we arent moving to a tiki taka side anytime soon.

Yeah seems like a real bulldog type maybe a little bit like Tevez used to be upfront for us

Mascherano I agree, but I do vageuly recall Kante coping well with being pressed since his teams often sat deep so when he got on the ball he was pressed simply because the other team had virtually all their players in the attacking half. I remember watching some City-Chelsea game and thinking our midfielders couldn't cope on the ball nearly as well as Kante under insane pressure when Chelsea tried to play out, and I think it was him and Kovacic, though I feel like City won the game.

Well they could both do it, as can Ugarte and most midfielders that arent clumsy. I just mean that their strength is fighting for the ball, winning the ball and arent as good at it as some technical players with a great touch and composure. They'd have done it better than Kante, but he was good enough at it

Liverpool have also been linked with this guy. We need to move quickly before being embarrassed.

We haven't lost Casemiro yet and I didn't know Eriksen was off. There were rumours we wanted to keep Amrabat.
Casemiro and Eriksen need replacing either way due to age. And I doubt we’ll opt to keep Amrabat. So we need a DM and another creative mid.

Nope if anything it has entrenched my original opinion. Not a Casemiro replacement, not a 6. More of a Gattuso.

That was a great video. I guess I misread what he could offer. I think we're better off securing a bona fide DM to shield the back four than partnering Kobbie with a box to box midfielder, with Bruno at #10.

I like his feistiness and aggression though, it is much needed in our team.

I'd also get Ezequiel Fernandez. Looks like a player who'll move to Benfica or Porto and get a 80m release clause. We can get him before that happens.

If we assume Erikksen, Amrabat and Casemiro are going. I would get Lucas Gourna Douth (Been impressed with him similar as you), Ezequiel Fernandez and then Rabiot on a free. Loan Fernandez to Nice for a season to get comfortable with European Football, have Rabiot start as a 6 and rotate with LGD. Then we have a midfield that can interchange and fit all type of roles. Mount and Mainoo to rotate at the 8 position. If Gray wasn't going to Brentford, I would've said target him instead of Fernandez.

Those two games against Newcastle are truly worrisome, ho looked out of position, late tackles, few bad passes, chases the ball often forgetting which space he needs to protect. I truly hope he was just out of form at the time.

Those two games against Newcastle are truly worrisome, ho looked out of position, late tackles, few bad passes, chases the ball often forgetting which space he needs to protect. I truly hope he was just out of form at the time.

The thing that worries me about him is how he leaves his position to chase the ball/press. I've not seen the highlights you're referring to, but the things I have seen of him make me worry that a couple of passes, a good turn or a stronger midfielder will draw him in and exploit the space, or the runners will. I just get the feeling, a bit like with Mount last summer, that it could exacerbate the issues.

He does seem more of a chaser / ball-winner of the Kante mould more than a sitter. I wonder if we can execute a double pivot with him and Mainoo. If we see Mainoo as a deep lying playmaker longer term then I guess it makes sense. Mainoo will move to be the #6 and Ugarte will be the box to box #8.

Mainoo doesn't have the pass volume of a guy like Jorginho nor does he have the defensive nous of a guy like Matic or Carrick. I think his skillset lies further forward.

The thing that worries me about him is how he leaves his position to chase the ball/press. I've not seen the highlights you're referring to, but the things I have seen of him make me worry that a couple of passes, a good turn or a stronger midfielder will draw him in and exploit the space, or the runners will. I just get the feeling, a bit like with Mount last summer, that it could exacerbate the issues.
I don't think he would be anything like Mount at all because he is an actual central/defensive midfielder which Mount is not and will never be. Mount is a mediocre AM trying to be reinvented as a CM in whatever crackpot scheme Ten Hag was trying to implement last year that saw us crash and burn. It is always different playing a natural CM/DM in there than playing a makeshift one. And what you mention about being drawn in and having space exploited comes with the territory for ALL schemes in which midfielders are required to constantly press. He can do just as good a job holding position and playing within a defined space on the pitch. I simply see minimal downsides to a potential deal. He is a much much needed profile in our extremely below par midfield.

He does seem more of a chaser / ball-winner of the Kante mould more than a sitter. I wonder if we can execute a double pivot with him and Mainoo. If we see Mainoo as a deep lying playmaker longer term then I guess it makes sense. Mainoo will move to be the #6 and Ugarte will be the box to box #8.

Mainoo doesn't have the pass volume of a guy like Jorginho nor does he have the defensive nous of a guy like Matic or Carrick. I think his skillset lies further forward.
I think Mainoo will work quite well with a player like Kante. While I do think Mainoo doesn’t have the pass volume yet like a deep lying playmaker should, we really need to instill that with him - he’s too natural at building up not to develop that part of his game. He may well work as well or even better as an attacking 8 but I think he has to develop his game running qualities regardless - he’s too much of a natural at so many related aspects for me.

Why is the reported fee for him 50m? If PSG want to sell him and he hasn’t worked out there, unless there’s a bidding war happening, shouldn’t the fee be lower?

Luis Enrique wants Spanish type midfielders, Ugarte is more an aggressive ball winning midfielder.
Cheers. I also want us to have Spanish type midfielders as that helps in controlling games which we are terrible at. But I suppose I’d be happy with a different kind as long as they are successful and improve us.

Why is the reported fee for him 50m? If PSG want to sell him and he hasn’t worked out there, unless there’s a bidding war happening, shouldn’t the fee be lower?
I don't think they've really given a firm number yet, I think that's what people are just thinking it would cost since they bought him for 60 the previous year. I think 40M + 5M add on's gets you there

I don't think he would be anything like Mount at all because he is an actual central/defensive midfielder which Mount is not and will never be. Mount is a mediocre AM trying to be reinvented as a CM in whatever crackpot scheme Ten Hag was trying to implement last year that saw us crash and burn. It is always different playing a natural CM/DM in there than playing a makeshift one. And what you mention about being drawn in and having space exploited comes with the territory for ALL schemes in which midfielders are required to constantly press. He can do just as good a job holding position and playing within a defined space on the pitch. I simply see minimal downsides to a potential deal. He is a much much needed profile in our extremely below par midfield.

I don't think he's as bad a fit as Mount for that position as, like you said, he plays that position already. But I don't think he's the type we need alongside Mainoo if I'm honest. Unless we're signing more than one, then it might start to make sense.

PSG have only had him a year and I guess the need to recoup for FFP. Also they know we'll pay it.
We should low ball them. If they spent 60m and he didn’t succeed there, we shouldn’t be offering 45/50m unless we have a bidding war.

@Raees video on him has made me more interested in the player. Him being a decent dribbler is an important facet to combine with his terrier like defending in absence of the qualities of a 6.

We should low ball them. If they spent 60m and he didn’t succeed there, we shouldn’t be offering 45/50m unless we have a bidding war.

@Raees video on him has made me more interested in the player. Him being a decent dribbler is an important facet to combine with his terrier like defending in absence of the qualities of a 6.
50m EUR for a high quality 23 year old DM is quite good value to be fair.

50m EUR for a high quality 23 year old DM is quite good value to be fair.
Ye that’s a decent price considering he’s only 23 and the best thing about it is he’s got no big injury records. I think we may able to get it done for 35/40m though.

ugarte and Martinez in the same side will be class. :drool: They possess the same tenacity and grit we have lacked for so long.

ugarte and Martinez in the same side will be class. :drool: They possess the same tenacity and grit we have lacked for so long.
I do think we have lacked tenacity at times, I do hope this gives us a little bit of drive and a will to win.

available for a limited time, as Portuguese/French footage gets blocked.

A younger version of Kante? Sign him up.

Would be a great addition to our midfield and complete the passer-creator-destroyer trident.

A terrier type midfielder may compliment mainoo better, though I admit I've never seen much of ugarte. He'll likely bring the energy and legs that Casemiro now lacks and truth be told we have missed a bit of what Fred bought to the table.

Mainoo is the high volume passer but would hate to see him only involved in defensive work and covering ground, which he is not very good at. A bit of energy and bite in midfield will help the likes of bruno and mainoo to add to the creativity.

How much of a hit did we take in the Di Maria fee when they bought him from us after one year?

I don't think he's as bad a fit as Mount for that position as, like you said, he plays that position already. But I don't think he's the type we need alongside Mainoo if I'm honest. Unless we're signing more than one, then it might start to make sense.
Oh for sure I think we would still need to add another midfielder after Ugarte. A more technical midfielder with great passing range that can control tempo.

available for a limited time, as Portuguese/French footage gets blocked.

‘’Uruguayan Kante’’. I think that is very misleading thumbnail if we compare it to what you said about Ugarte in the video.

Based on your video you mentioned two interesting things that he is lacking.

One, you mentioned something like he doesn’t tackle cleanly like Kante or Rice (which means he will commit fouls often). Kante is a great tackler.

Two, you mentioned something like he’s more front foot type of guy where he will go aggressive to get the ball before the opposition players get it first, but when the opponent got the ball especially on the counter, while he’s behind or off position, Ugarte often doesn’t chase to win the ball back or he’s not capable to run quick enough to win the ball back from behind. That’s not something Kante would do, Kante will cover lot of grounds and often capable to win tackle by chasing from behind.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
‘’Uruguayan Kante’’. I think that is very misleading thumbnail if we compare it to what you said about Ugarte in the video.

Based on your video you mentioned two interesting things that he is lacking.

One, you mentioned something like he doesn’t tackle cleanly like Kante or Rice (which means he will commit fouls often). Kante is a great tackler.

Two, you mentioned something like he’s more front foot type of guy where he will go aggressive to get the ball before the opposition players get it first, but when the opponent got the ball especially on the counter, while he’s behind or off position, Ugarte often doesn’t chase to win the ball back or he’s not capable to run quick enough to win the ball back from behind. That’s not something Kante would do, Kante will cover lot of grounds and often capable to win tackle by chasing from behind.
Agree with this. I actually see him as extremely similar to Casemiro.

If we get him for around 30 then he is probably a good solid addition. I don’t think he would be someone we really want, but for the position we find ourselves in he is just a practical solution that seems to be available and will strengthen the squad. Hopefully help us elevate our position so we can be in a space where we can compete for the top talents.

Still think we would need yet another midfielder to go with him.

The balance of the squad is a bit of a mess.

Defence is old and made of glass. Midfield is basically a bunch of no.8 and 10. Attack is very inexperienced.

Adding Ugarte would bring some physicality and fight to the midfield. Makes sense if the deal is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.