Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he bomb forward a lot like Casemiro? I’d prefer someone sitting for us who can spray passes forward.
I just think, with him, and what I assume will be Mainoo, we could do with getting someone who has a bit more range to their passing from the deeper positions.

Amrabat, whilst not the name on everyone's lips, would be someone I'd like to see, but a better version.
Over anything else I think we need to have someone with a great engine in our midfield.

I agree we could do with also getting a DLP. The elusive type we have been banging on about for ages.

For the time being I'd keep Amrabat as an option for cover/rotation until we get the RCB slot sorted.

With that sorted we will be a lot clearer on the need and feasibility of getting such a midfielder or settling for Amrabat.

He looks really good at breaking up play which will help us when defending against stronger teams.

Ugarte and De Ligt has the makings of a very good window, if PSG and Bayern are reasonable.

Both once touted as world class potential players still with plenty to prove and a good solid age profile. Both professional and have leadership qualities and aggression. They aren’t perfect but if these are loan to buys at 40-50 million and we can say no if it doesn’t work out next season? It’s amazing work.

Last edited:
Player is keen, PSG are open to a sale…with any luck United should be at the stage to make a bid sometime around August.

He seems to be well-regarded on the PSG subreddit.

The majority are sorry to see him go but apparently Luis Enrique wants different kind of players in midfield.

He’s somewhat erratic with the ball, it sounds like, though a defensive machine. Which would make sense for the best transition team in the world.

The majority are sorry to see him go but apparently Luis Enrique wants different kind of players in midfield.

He’s somewhat erratic with the ball, it sounds like, though a defensive machine.
Enrique will be similar to pep won’t he. He’ll prefer mobile and technical players.

Always rated Ugarte. Let’s make this happen quickly. The team needs bite and tenacity

Enrique will be similar to pep won’t he. He’ll prefer mobile and technical players.
Yeah, they’ve got Vitinha and Fabian Ruiz already, and the talk is they’re after Neves from Benfica, as well.

Most of the articles don’t mention it, but what’s the approximate price PSG is expecting for him?

€40-50m?

Most of the articles don’t mention it, but what’s the approximate price PSG is expecting for him?

€40-50m?
They bought him for 60m a year ago, so he should count as around 45-50m on their books now. I am guessing that would be their asking price.

In EUR, that is.

They bought him for 60m a year ago, so he should count as around 45-50m on their books now. I am guessing that would be their asking price.

In EUR, that is.
38-42M GBP then. Price would be very fitting, if we can get him for that

In EUR, that is.

Seems like a fair price for a relatively young midfielder with good experience having played in multiple leagues.

Might help to have a couple of super aggressive South Americans in the team. Atleast it makes for a better watch

He’s somewhat erratic with the ball, it sounds like, though a defensive machine. Which would make sense for the best transition team in the world.

Yeah I looked it up and it seems like he was arguably their best player the first few months of last year.

I thought it was more that he's too safe with the ball than erratic. Stats suggest he keeps it, just maybe most simple passes.

I haven't seen him too much, but everything sounds pretty good if you figure we're paying about 50M Euros (what PSG paid minus one year worth of the fee in amortization).

This is in the bag no?

Think this would be a great signing I hope we get it done.

Very encouraging if true. Would help create a very strong spine.

He's basically Fred on Steroids.

I wonder how this will work in our team. Don't think he can play as a lone central anchor if Ten Hag plans on bombing Mainoo/Bruno forward again.

If we have a backline that is comfortable playing higher up the pitch and we have another aggressive defender next to Martinez, we'll be fine. In order for ETH's system to work he really needs to have a whole XI buying into working as a collective (as almost any managerial system requires). Whether we can rely on Shaw/Malacia to be able to stay fit enough for the whole season so we don't have to massively compromise by fielding a square peg in a round hole there is a serious question. Likewise, if we sell AWB, we'll either need another right back or if we're buying two centre backs, having one who can cover for Dalot would be very practical.

I'd be surprised if Erik wants to go into the new season with any player who isn't willing to sacrifice for the team or players who simply aren't cut out for his tactical demands.

I'd be surprised if Erik wants to go into the new season with any player who isn't willing to sacrifice for the team or players who simply aren't cut out for his tactical demands.

He may not want to, but he will have to. We have too many players that don't fit his tactical set up, but can't ship them out this summer in order to bring proper replacements.

Pretty encouraging heat map...

4.11 tackles per game, 7.67 duels won per 90, 91% passing accuracy - what's not to like.

1*YvLWMaV9wem1mYskdB7pNQ.jpeg

Last edited:
He's basically Fred on Steroids.

I wonder how this will work in our team. Don't think he can play as a lone central anchor if Ten Hag plans on bombing Mainoo/Bruno forward again.
Nobody can make that system work. He'll make changes to it for sure, he already did by the end of last season. On paper, Ugarte, Mainoo and Bruno should make a good midfield that shouldn't be lacking defensively. Mainoo and Bruno do fine for their roles defensively and both work hard, Ugarte is very strong defensively. My main concern for that trio (assuming the coaching improves) would be some passing range. But lisandro Martinez has that, mainoo cam develop more to open the pitch more, and Bruno can drop deep and provide that so it's fine.

I would rather get Amadou Onana than Ugarte. If Everton don't sell Branthwaite or DLC soon, I think Amadou is gettable for about the same price that Ugarte would cost. PSG won't want to make too much of a loss on him

He isn't that great defensively and will give alot of needless fouls away. And the reason I say he isn't that great defensively is because he doesn't have the legs to cover the space in quick transitions. I think we should target a better player than him and the highlights below shed some light on his limitations as a player.

Against Newcastle and Milan he struggled to contain their transitions and isn't anything special on the ball. I think this is a great deal for PSG, potentially. I don't have anything else to say about him and I just hope the Uruguyan David Batty surprises me if we sign him.

Below are his low lights against Milan and Newcastle where he struggled.

https://x.com/RegistaCall/status/1806789348286955733?t=_pTI7giRMosDeHa4hyw4cA&s=19

https://x.com/RegistaCall/status/1806710564082622780?t=FIBkWxT1KwsO444uWR96dA&s=19

He may not want to, but he will have to. We have too many players that don't fit his tactical set up, but can't ship them out this summer in order to bring proper replacements.

I'm not so sure about that. Everyone being fit, this is the current XI with some blank spots:

---------------Onana
Dalot---RCB---Martinez--Shaw
------CDM--------Mainoo
?------------Bruno--------Garnacho
------------Rasmus

Work rate is not really a problem there. Antony obviously offers that, Amad may be progressing in that aspect too. There is no shirker there and there is no one ill-suited to ETH's style of play. But depth is a major issue. Most of the players who aren't suitable are in the last year of contract. If we aren't unrealistic with what we can get for them, we might clean the deck, as it were, ensuring that the squad overall is more suited to the kind of football Erik will have them playing (which he'll do regardless of whether or not they are capable of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.