Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we ever had a Manuel before? I might be going senile but I can't think of one.

Hmm, he's actually the typical Atletico player. His name, his playstyle, his nationality, probably his attitude as well, everything :lol:
Simeone would absolutely love him and has a good track record with Godín and Giménez. If it's a straight shootout they have loads going for them.

I remember from back when he was at Sporting that aside from his defensive contributions he was supposed to be very press resistant?

I think he was even touted as a FDJ alternative in how he was able to beat the press although he’s obviously never had the passing/progressive stats that Frenkie would provide.

He's really not press resistant at all and that is an absurd comparison. They're practically polar opposites, these 2 players.

If he can prevent our defensive line and midfield from leaving that abhorrent amount of space we did this past season and stop teams getting a free shot at goal with cutbacks from the side then I’m all for this signing.

Imagine you want to get rid of a player and Manchester United becomes interested. Must be a dream scenario for the selling club.

I like that he’s young. That’s what we need. A young DM. If he is of course a DM. He’s South American which I also like as they show a lot of fight and determination. We need that aggressiveness. Him and Martinez would be great. What’s his injury record like? That’s one of the main things I like to know since we have an habit of signing injury prone players.
His last two "injuries" were 10 days with Covid.

His last two "injuries" were 10 days with Covid.

Just wait until he's forced to run up and down the pitch about 20 times a game because we can't prevent counters.

If he can prevent our defensive line and midfield from leaving that abhorrent amount of space we did this past season and stop teams getting a free shot at goal with cutbacks from the side then I’m all for this signing.

No single player will solve that problem. It's upto Ten Hag. He tightened up a bit towards the end, so maybe he learned his lesson.

I remember from back when he was at Sporting that aside from his defensive contributions he was supposed to be very press resistant?

I think he was even touted as a FDJ alternative in how he was able to beat the press although he’s obviously never had the passing/progressive stats that Frenkie would provide.
Vetinha was touted as the FDJ alternative.

Uruguay media : Deal close !
UK media : Deal far from close. Ugarte is on a list of potential targets.

We can play God in the midfield and it'll still happen. For that gap to close we'll need the defense & the keeper to move up. We need two fast ball playing defenders with good positional sense to close that gap. No single midfielder in the world can cover 1/3rd of the football field by himself.

Just wait until he's forced to run up and down the pitch about 20 times a game because we can't prevent counters.
He already does exactly that for Bielsa.

I even cursed him last night because 5-0 up he was up by the corner flag flying into a tackle and got a knock/limped a bit after.

Ugarte, Mount, Bruno is a nice midfield 3 albeit a little short

not sure where Mainoo fits in here, I guess instead of Mount

From what I’ve seen (which is not very much to be fair), he lacks the athleticism that we desperately need next to Mainoo. I hope I’m wrong though.

Uruguay media : Deal close !
UK media : Deal far from close. Ugarte is on a list of potential targets.
The only semi-serious/credible report I saw today was Simeone reaching out to him. I mean, Giménez is at the same Copa América camp so should be easy enough. Conversely, not sure Pellistri is an ideal go-between for us.

From what I’ve seen (which is not very much to be fair), he lacks the athleticism that we desperately need next to Mainoo. I hope I’m wrong though.

He's 6ft tall mate and an Uruguayan. It's the same country who provided warriors like montero. Football is a personal thing there mate

What’s the sporting Lisbon fan poster called? Or someone who can tell me a bit more about his style of play. Strengths/weaknesses. Can’t say I’ve seen him play much but just seen a couple of clips on YouTube.
Antohan posted recently. Search for his poster name in this thread
Dont think hes any faster than Mainoo. But he'll dive into a tackle from 8 yards away which will help catch players
Be like having two Martinez’s then?

Haven't seen much of the player, but I do like the idea of this one. I don't think he is the perfect profile to partner Mainoo in our midfield, however I do think there is a lot of room for him to improve. If he is unable to and we feel like we need to upgrade on him, then it's always good to have a "destroyer" type in our squad. Given the holes in our squad, having someone who fills one of those, likely improves us straight away, at a good age, with a good injury record at what will hopefully be a reasonable price, sounds like smart business.

Ugarte, Mount, Bruno is a nice midfield 3 albeit a little short

not sure where Mainoo fits in here, I guess instead of Mount
you guess ahead of mount? he's nailed on to be ahead of mount, he's one of the first names on the team sheet

Is Valverde a starter at Real Madrid? We should be buying them both Uruguayans and they’ll slot perfectly into our XI

If Ugarte is the replacement for Amrabat he'd be a good signing. We still urgently need a 6, hopefully we still see that as a priority.

On his YouTube clips he looks like one of his strengths is tackling and sliding tackles. Just hope he doesn’t lunge into everything and pick a yellow up every game similar to Casemiro.

Status
Not open for further replies.