Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m never ever ever listening to South American media again after Vidal. That killed me. Peak muppeting
That was pure torture. Back then we all were young and naive, believed every word of the South American media particularly Chilevision without realising the mfeckers were frauds of the highest order.

Haven't seen much of the player, but I do like the idea of this one. I don't think he is the perfect profile to partner Mainoo in our midfield, however I do think there is a lot of room for him to improve. If he is unable to and we feel like we need to upgrade on him, then it's always good to have a "destroyer" type in our squad. Given the holes in our squad, having someone who fills one of those, likely improves us straight away, at a good age, with a good injury record at what will hopefully be a reasonable price, sounds like smart business.
He instantly upgrades Casemiro, Amrabat and McTominay, if anyone would still consider him as that sort of midfield option (not a slight, I rate the fact he "gets it" and would rather keep ahead of others).

Fact is we have tonnes of midfielders that can be deployed further up the pitch: Bruno, Mainoo, Eriksen, Mount, Diallo, van de Beek, and McTominay himself but not many willing or particularly effective at winning the ball back. You could easily ship out three or four of those and be better off just having Ugarte join us.

He instantly upgrades Casemiro, Amrabat and McTominay, if anyone would still consider him as that sort of midfield option (not a slight, I rate the fact he "gets it" and would rather keep ahead of others).

Fact is we have tonnes of midfielders that can be deployed further up the pitch: Bruno, Mainoo, Eriksen, Mount, Diallo, van de Beek, and McTominay himself but not many willing or particularly effective at winning the ball back. You could easily ship out three or four of those and be better off just having Ugarte join us.

How's he in the air? In open play and in set pieces?

On his YouTube clips he looks like one of his strengths is tackling and sliding tackles. Just hope he doesn’t lunge into everything and pick a yellow up every game similar to Casemiro.
I'm a little worried about that, as I feel there's still a bit of a stereotypical stigma around 'Dirty Uruguay / Typical Uruguayan' amongst the British viewpoint and media.

Add to that the United double standard in the media / social media. Then I certainly think a tough-tackling Uruguayan DM playing for Man United isn't going to get many benefits of the doubt and he might well find himself targeted as Casemiro has done.

I think he'd be a good signing if we can get him for a decent fee. And the kind of DM we need. But I do worry he'd be a targeted man with the media / social media - which, as is the intent, puts undue pressure on the refs when dealing with him (and our games in general).

How much would Amrabat out of interest? Is there a chance we could get him as well? Losing Casemiro and Amrabat is still 2 bodies out the door.

How much would Amrabat out of interest? Is there a chance we could get him as well? Losing Casemiro and Amrabat is still 2 bodies out the door.
I think his option to buy was around 20 million euros.

Theirs another guy I’m thinking of, I spoke to the other day but can’t remember what thread.
I can see Antohan has replied to you on possible culprits now. His post I was talking about is below (he knows a lot about Uruguayan/S American football)

He keeps it simple, yes, but generally has a great awareness and sense of timing which is an essential quality for a player dictating the tempo of a game. Nobody is asking him to do that, but I don't think it's beyond him. I'm not talking a ball-spraying Pirlo, but could develop into someone like Deschamps.

As it is, he has been exploited as a harrier and ball winner covering every blade of grass. We could use that and, as I said earlier in this thread, if we want to try Mainoo in a double pivot and give him a shot at developing the defensive side of his game you need someone like Ugarte next to him.

I would feel quite confident with a starting midfield with those three, rotating between double and single pivot subject to opposition.

Just get it done and move on to RCB targets.

Think he was north of 20m eur

Shite, this is going to be Chilevision all over again isn't it. I'm not sure I can go through that hurt again.

Going by the videos, he thinks he can tackle everything. If he isn't pushing forwards to attempt a tackle, he is running backwards to attempt another tackle after failing the first one. If the defensive line decides to play as deep as they did last season, we are going to be in trouble with how much he pushes up. He doesn't look convincing on the ball too, but can't really gauge his level from just highlights.

I think he would still be a good addition because we need more central midfielders. He would add some tenacity to the squad too, and I like the prices that are being mentioned. I still want us to try to get a proper holding midfielder who defends well and wants to get involved when we have the ball.

Going by the videos, he thinks he can tackle everything. If he isn't pushing forwards to attempt a tackle, he is running backwards to attempt another tackle after failing the first one. If the defensive line decides to play as deep as they did last season, we are going to be in trouble with how much he pushes up. He doesn't look convincing on the ball too, but can't really gauge his level from just highlights.

I think he would still be a good addition because we need more central midfielders. He would add some tenacity to the squad too, and I like the prices that are being mentioned. I still want us to try to get a proper holding midfielder who defends well and wants to get involved when we have the ball.
Ye this guy could be a good option and bring something to this squad lacks. His aggressiveness is something that will be welcomed and Similar to Martinez. I agree we still need a proper holding midfielder though. I like the ones that are very comfortable on the ball and can spread long range passes accurately across the pitch. A DLP could be good to have. The more creativity the better. I think we could do with 2 midfielders who both have different styles to give us good options depending on opponents.

Having him with Mainoo and Bruno just is a very nice group where we'll finally have the legs in midfield and at a good age. De Ligt next to Martinez also helps so much especially with their on the ball value in build up play.

Ugarte is doing the great muppet thing of following United accounts on twitter. He's one of us.

:lol: yeah, that's definitely happening @giorno
Well hear me out. Instead, how about INEOS sell United to us and we turn you over into our satellite club and we let you borrow Fede for a couple summer friendlies

Last season Casemiro with plenty of stamina?

I've just watched a few clips on youtube, although I don't really like doing that to judge a player. From the few clips I watched, I'd say that's quite accurate, although his passing a lot more safer than Casemiro's, which isn't particularly a bad thing. I just think, with him, and what I assume will be Mainoo, we could do with getting someone who has a bit more range to their passing from the deeper positions.

Amrabat, whilst not the name on everyone's lips, would be someone I'd like to see, but a better version. Whoever that is, I don't know, but he pretty much displays the attributes below, that I feel would compliment our current midfielders:

- Long range passing
- Ball retention
- Positioning

Ugarte seems to have the last two, but from what I've seen, lacks that range of passing.

He has a no brainer role here, is the exact type of CB that suits the prem and suits Martinez. Mounts problem was/is that he won't play ahead of Bruno and Bruno rarely needs rotating

Mount was signed to play with Bruno, but Mainoo came along.

Mainoo/Mount - Bruno/McTominay
New DM/Amrabat​

I can only imagine our midfield set up will look something like the above next season.

Mount was signed to play with Bruno, but Mainoo came along.

Mainoo/Mount - Bruno/McTominay
New DM/Amrabat​

I can only imagine our midfield set up will look something like the above next season.
I'd say look at 4231, mount to back up Bruno, McTominay to backup the new ball winning starter DM (Ugarte?), and then us bringing in a squad player deep playmaking mid who can rotate Mainoo or play alongside him... Wharton would be the dream there.

The intention of mounts signing was just wrong in the first place IMO.

Also side note, I definitely thought this was the de Ligt thread with that post :lol: But it applies for Ugarte. We need a ball winner with legs and under 25 next to Mainoo, but we also need someone to rotate mainoo as depth too.

Ugarte and De Ligt has the makings of a very good window, if PSG and Bayern are reasonable.

Ugarte, De Ligt, Zirkzee that's full of quality & youth still. The harder part is to get rid of the deadwood and that's a challenge for the new management to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.