Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put Rodri in that midfield beside Giggs/Cleverley/Phil Jones/Fellaini, in the 2009-13 era and I wonder if he would look the same. No inverted FBs to help you out either.

Put Carrick in this current City team, and he would thrive.

3 CL finals, including the 2011 one where he was partnered with Giggs, Valencia and Park in midfield. Without Ronaldo I might add.

Underrated doesn't do him justice.

If it wasn't for Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, pep and co., we would have won 2 more CL titles. I'm convinced. Carrick was the driving force behind that.

If Ugarte even comes close to having the same impact, we'd be set for years.

I might be biased, but Carrick was every bit as good as Rodri, if not better.

I'd probably have Carrick as the better long passer and both very similar short passing game. However, where Rodri excels and where Carrick struggled was being pressed and working in tight spaces. Rodri is way more dynamic than Carrick was so as much as I love Carrick, id have Rodri over him just for that.

I’m sure he’s already registered. He doesn’t have to be announced by then.
What makes you sure of this? I haven’t seen anything whatsoever to suggest he’s registered.

I’m sure he’s already registered. He doesn’t have to be announced by then.
We can't register him without finalising the deal and we won't be finalising the deal as has been agreed until McT is done. Wouldn't be surprised if it is now Napoli/Scott's medical and not PSG having us over the barrel here.

We can't register him without finalising the deal and we won't be finalising the deal as has been agreed until McT is done. Wouldn't be surprised if it is now Napoli/Scott's medical and not PSG having us over the barrel here.

Just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean the deal has not been finalised.

Nice compilation. Busquets was best in the world in that role and position. Carrick is 1 tier below that. Saying Carrick was world class at his peak is fair IMHO, but most non United fans place him much lower than that.

Rodri is now best in the world and has more in his locker than Busquets.

But Carrick was not a diving cheat, so he gets points for that. :p

This incoming transfer is totally dependent on selling Scott, or we’ll be in breach of the regs.
If the McTominey deal collapses, or isn’t completed in time, it looks like that would scupper Ugarte’s signing.
Hopefully it’ll all be finalised tomorrow.

This incoming transfer is totally dependent on selling Scott, or we’ll be in breach of the regs.
If the McTominey deal collapses, or isn’t completed in time, it looks like that would scupper Ugarte’s signing.
Where have you heard this?

If that scenario happened can we go with a loan to buy option

I’m not even sure it’s accurate tbh
It's pure induction from the way they kept see-sawing between upfront and loan with obligation until the McT terms got finalised and then the preferred option of outright transfer got nailed down. Everything indicates that is exactly how it is unfolding. Any hiccup with Napoli and we may have to go back to the loan drawing board at the eleventh hour, which isn't great.

Rationally, all parties have an incentive to execute as is, but they don't control medicals, do they? Neither has much of a history with injuries so I'd say <5% probability, likely even less.

Are we waiting until deadline day for this so that it feels like we did a deadline deal? :lol:
This club care for its fans. That’s their way of cheering us up before the inevitable Liverpool result.

Last edited:
Mainoo will be the one coming deep to get the ball off the defence, Ugarte will be winning the ball back higher up the pitch, similar to how Kante does. This guy has elite stats for the defensive side of the game but most of that occurs higher up than a traditional defensive midfielder. Theoretically this should very much suit a high press system. They key, as always, is that the defensive line pushes up. I think this has been said over and over by about everyone.

Will be interesting to see how we evolve this season. I see Ugarte as a sort of midfield version of Martinez. Always stepping up and looking to intercept and being super aggressive. This signing makes me very excited but also very nervous. Excited because of what the player is capable of, but nervous because of how Ten Hag has us playing. This will either be genius and fit our system perfectly, or it’ll be utter suicide.

Mainoo will be the one coming deep to get the ball off the defence, Ugarte will be winning the ball back higher up the pitch, similar to how Kante does. This guy has elite stats for the defensive side of the game but most of that occurs higher up than a traditional defensive midfielder. Theoretically this should very much suit a high press system. They key, as always, is that the defensive line pushes up. I think this has been said over and over by about everyone.

Will be interesting to see how we evolve this season. I see Ugarte as a sort of midfield version of Martinez. Always stepping up and looking to intercept and being super aggressive. This signing makes me very excited but also very nervous. Excited because of what the player is capable of, but nervous because of how Ten Hag has us playing. This will either be genius and fit our system perfectly, or it’ll be utter suicide.
The pressing system sounds good until you see players like Amad and Rashford languishing around losing their man and half committing. We leave so much open space everywhere i feel this could just leave us even more exposed. Its down to the team to press high, not just one or two individuals.

I think the nervousness will ease once De Ligt starts. He will have better chemistry with Martinez and he knows Ten Hags system so he knows the right time to push up unlike Maguire or Lindelof. And once we push as a team we get better at pressing higher up.

Interesting, so Casemiro and Mainoo might rotate the role next to Ugarte? Perhaps Ugarte and Mount rotate the 'pressing 8' role?

Excellent video. The heatmapa for Casemiro and Ugarte (for 25 games last season) shows why they might be the ideal double pivot for us this season. Put their respective heatmaps together and the entire pitch is covered in separate areas to each other.

Also his long passing out to the flanks could be useful in our 3-1-6 formation,that we are trying to implement when we are attacking.

Last edited:
Huh? So because none of the other Uruguayans have been successful, this one won't either?

Wow give the guy a chance
That’s obviously not what i was saying. Ugarte will be a success. He’s made for the prem and has the same attitude as Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.