Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve done my due diligence with obligatory YouTube video watching.

The thing that strikes me with is guy is he loves quite a heavy sliding tackle. Something I think the ref/VAR system in EPL will punish him for.

I’ll definitely have him getting sent off in his first game as a wee subtle bet.
He definitely loves to get stuck in!

Prime Carrick compares well to prime Rodri, but there’s no doubt Carrick had to overcome doubters on his first few months at OT.

As for Ugarte, the man even looks like an animal. I hope Casemiro gives him a full briefing on the vendetta English referees have with foreign players who have a hard edge to their game.

I don't think he does. I like him and think he was really good for us, but I think people exaggerate his actual influence. He wasn't the physically imposing figure Rodri is. He wasn't as fast in recovery and could easily be bypassed if not surrounded by legs around him. He wasn't as press resistant as people like to remember, and due to his natural pace of play, wasn't a quick distributor, even out of pressure.

Rodri is all of those things, which is why he is considered the best midfielder in the world at present. So its not a knock on Carrick, but he just simply wasn't near as good.

I don't think he does. I like him and think he was really good for us, but I think people exaggerate his actual influence. He wasn't the physically imposing figure Rodri is. He wasn't as fast in recovery and could easily be bypassed if not surrounded by legs around him. He wasn't as press resistant as people like to remember, and due to his natural pace of play, wasn't a quick distributor, even out of pressure.

Rodri is all of those things, which is why he is considered the best midfielder in the world at present. So its not a knock on Carrick, but he just simply wasn't near as good.
Maybe you forgot how good Carrick was. I’m not saying he was as good as Rodri but some of the things you’ve said there isn’t right when it comes to Carrick.

Maybe you forgot how good Carrick was. I’m not saying he was as good as Rodri but some of the things you’ve said there isn’t right when it comes to Carrick.

Gosh!
Carrick was just too good of a passer and ball distributor, some of his quick one touch line breaking passes as we can see in the clip were joy to watch, he was the only player I felt comfortable when he had the ball in the middle of the park, post Scholes of course.

I might be biased, but Carrick was every bit as good as Rodri, if not better.

Carrick was a great player but this is simply not true. Yes, he was definitely underrated by most but likewise certain United fans seemingly wildly overrate him.

Is this guy gonna go around being a massive racist to everyone?

I'm informed by fans of another club that that's just their way of being friendly.

I really like Carrick as a player and I think he is underrated by the average football fan, but this has to be one of the most controversial takes I've ever seen on the Caf - and that's saying something!

Nice compilation. Busquets was best in the world in that role and position. Carrick is 1 tier below that. Saying Carrick was world class at his peak is fair IMHO, but most non United fans place him much lower than that.

Rodri is now best in the world and has more in his locker than Busquets.

I'm informed by fans of another club that that's just their way of being friendly.
Oh, here we go again with the sanctimonious high horses.

Uruguay has a miles better track record of inclusion and progressive legislation than the UK. Be it race, gender, or sexual orientation, we piss all over you, not just by decades but sometimes over half a century.

But yeah, keep getting upset at people having nicknames based on physical traits.

Carrick was at the heart of a midfield that won 5 out of 7 EPLs, missing out on two more by a single point, winning the Champions League and getting to 3 finals and a semi final in a 4 year period.

He is severely underrated.

To be fair, we've had some brilliant Uruguayans at our club. Forlan was a cult hero.

I'm guessing Ugarte will be a fan favourite too.

Carrick indeed wasn’t the fastest, the bravest or the most vocal of midfielders, but he would be perfectly at home both under Pep and of course Ferguson.

I rate Rodri higher than Carrick but not immensely higher. Carrick had the misfortune of being our Rodri when we faced prime Barcelona twice, both times losing of course. Prime Barcelona had prime Messi, prime Iniesta and prime Xavi, the kind of footballers Rodri has never faced.

A hypothetical, sure, but if you swap out prime Barcelona in 09 and 11 and swap in any of the recent City or Real sides, there’s a very good chance United win 3 instead of 1 CL trophy and Carrick’s reputation is on a completely different level than it is now.

No disrespect intended to Rodri, who is magnificent and I acknowledge is better than prime Carrick, but not by much. The disrespect toward Carrick has a lot to do with the fact that we did drop those two CL finals and that after Ferguson left the club fell apart for a variety of reasons, but Carrick is not one of them.

Forlan
Varela
Cavani
Pellestri
Ugarte

Quite surprised how many Uruguayans we've had at the club.

What are we thinking? 8pm announcement like they did with Yoro and De Ligt? Or is it going to be tomorrow?

Not a single one of those were successes, yikes.
In fairness, while Diego didn't score for us at the rate he did for his two UEFA Golden Boots, his paltry 6 goals in 2002-03 (25 games, only 7 in the starting lineup) amounted to 4 winners and an equaliser, i.e. 9 points added in a season we beat Arsenal by 5pts. Big games as well (Liverpool, Chelsea).

I would love to have a rotation striker giving us that kind of return when called upon.

What's weird is we are building our team around Bruno who plays in the same position where Mount plays(and Bruno starts 90% of our games), when Mount is tailor suited for our high press approach, and without whom our press looks comparatively disjointed.

Oh look, right on cue he’s injured again.

How very weird we haven’t thrown all our eggs into the Mount is better at pressing tactic.

Oh look, right on cue he’s injured again.

How very weird we haven’t thrown all our eggs into the Mount is better at pressing tactic.
Nor do I think we should, and I was always against the Mount transfer. My point was never about Bruno vs Mount, more about how the two different players affect our tactics. We will see how well our press does against Liverpool on the weekend, without Mount.

I remember Carrick well, and thought he was the best midfielder in the league in 2013. He wasn't press resistant, and that was one of the knocks he had when playing against the big sides in the CL. For example, Kagawa and RVP were two of the only ones that looked press resistant against Real Madrid. But for someone to say he wasn't as influential is crazy. He was the best midfielder in the league for that season.

Carrick was better defensively than Rodri too. Carrick partnered with Giggs in CM, during out 2011 CL run, and looked very comfortable. Most of the time he was holding the fort all alone himself against 3 man midfields, but because his positioning was so good, he never looked out of place.

Carrick was better defensively than Rodri too. Carrick partnered with Giggs in CM, during out 2011 CL run, and looked very comfortable. Most of the time he was holding the fort all alone himself against 3 man midfields, but because his positioning was so good, he never looked out of place.
When we had our annual CB injury crisis, Carrick would drop in for a game or 2 and wouldn't look out of place at all. Wolfsburg away in the UCL comes to mind.

When we had our annual CB injury crisis, Carrick would drop in for a game or 2 and wouldn't look out of place at all. Wolfsburg away in the UCL comes to mind.
We had Fletcher and Carrick at CB that day. Park RB.

Was that the game where Owen scored a hattrick? And Gabriel Obertan was on fire? That was probably a different game :lol:

You are biased. Rodri is easily the best midfielder in the world, and might even be the current best overall player in the world.

Carrick was very good, even world class in Fergie’s final season (when he was easily the best midfielder in the league), but he never reached, let alone maintained, Rodri’s heights. If he would have had several seasons as good as 12-13, he still would not have been as good as Rodri.

nt
Was that the game where Owen scored a hattrick? And Gabriel Obertan was on fire? That was probably a different game :lol:
Wolfsburg away, 3-1 win.

On Ugarte: 50+10M euros is 42+8M pounds. It's not bad deal as he's got another 4 years on his current PSG contract but I did hope we'd manage to get it bit lower. Wonder what kind of add-ons are those, something related to him and number of games he plays for us or?

Very different players, but anybody saying Rodri is easily clear is having a laugh.

Carrick had a waaaayyyy better passing range, and was a way better screen for our defence than Rodri is for City.

You are biased. Rodri is easily the best midfielder in the world, and might even be the current best overall player in the world.

Carrick was very good, even world class in Fergie’s final season (when he was easily the best midfielder in the league), but he never reached, let alone maintained, Rodri’s heights. If he would have had several seasons as good as 12-13, he still would not have been as good as Rodri.

There’s no-where near as many contenders for that Balon D’or now. Carrick had Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Messi, etc to contend with. Rodri would be no-where near in those days.

In fairness, it’s probably easier to be the best midfielder in the world right now.

Just in Liverpool and Manchester in Carrick’s time you’re being compared with Gerrard, Alonso and Scholes ffs.

Oh, here we go again with the sanctimonious high horses.

Uruguay has a miles better track record of inclusion and progressive legislation than the UK. Be it race, gender, or sexual orientation, we piss all over you, not just by decades but sometimes over half a century.

But yeah, keep getting upset at people having nicknames based on physical traits.

Jesus christ, I'd have thought it fairly obvious that it was a joke. I'm guessing humour isn't your thing

And how many was successful?
Varela and Pellistri were young talent bets that didn't play out. Forlán was marginally less of a punt at £7.5M and not even an established international yet. Right player wrong time really as we were pretty stacked upfront with RvN, Rooney, Ole and then Saha putting the nail on his coffin (those were the days!).

Cavani was on his way down but was working out well until we shot our load at Cristiano being in play. Would no doubt have been a brilliant PL striker if brought going into his prime 6-7 years earlier. I never understood why Mourinho wasn't in for him.

Ugarte is the only one we are signing for a relevant fee and with a clear track record. Let's wait and see before we overlook all that and correlate/assume causality on nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.