Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A loan with buy option would absolutely be the way to go here. We can't risk buying any player now for a biggish fee who turns out to not be good enough / unsuited to system / unable to cope with pressure of being a United player.

So we should only pursue loan deals then?

As much as a shit as he was, it was sad to see him dragged away from Rick's. Fine performance from Peter Lorre.

I'm all in on this, hope we get him. Mainoo can look a bit leggy at times and it was said through the season that we needed to pair him with someone who could close down gaps and spaces better than Casemiro or Amrabat who are even slower than Kobbie.

All we need now is a deeper midfielder who is comfortable passing on the ball as this would get the best out of Ugarte and Mainoo, even though they can also play together.

I'm all in on this, hope we get him. Mainoo can look a bit leggy at times and it was said through the season that we needed to pair him with someone who could close down gaps and spaces better than Casemiro or Amrabat who are even slower than Kobbie.

All we need now is a deeper midfielder who is comfortable passing on the ball as this would get the best out of Ugarte and Mainoo, even though they can also play together.

Who should be that deeper midfielder

Haven't really watched him play so don't want this to sound like a definitive judgement, but if you look at his stats on fbref he looses 2.5 challenges per game. That's obvioulsy in part because he takes so many (4 per game) but take Palinha for example who takes on 5 tackles per game but loses only 1.6 on average. Then you have the likes of Rodri and Rice who take on less challenges but win a much higher percentage of those than him. Add to that Ugartes short passing stats which, playing for a team as dominating domestically as PSG, are on par with Palinha playing for midtable/bottom-half Fulham in EPL. You don't even have to compare him to the elite of Rice and Rodri there, even Andrich, who plays the bulldog for Germany and Leverkusen has much better short passing success rate than Ugarte in that role of a bulldog whilsts losing a fifth the amount of challenges per game compared to Ugarte.

What I'm getting at is, whilsts it is nice to have this sort of bulldog on the team, if said bulldog loses his challenges or mishits his short and simple passes, more often than not it can open wide gaps for the opposition and add more negatives to the team than positives. All that being said, he is still young, especially for a position where experience is very important in regards to his possible weaknesses (decision making) and others who have watched him play might put those numbers in perspective. Just wanted to add some data to the discussion.

A tenacious, mobile 23-year old DM with CL experience available for less than 50m? Sounds like the ideal midfield partner for Mainoo. Plus he's South American so he's bound to be a fan favourite! Get him in.

Haven't really watched him play so don't want this to sound like a definitive judgement, but if you look at his stats on fbref he looses 2.5 challenges per game. That's obvioulsy in part because he takes so many (4 per game) but take Palinha for example who takes on 5 tackles per game but loses only 1.6 on average. Then you have the likes of Rodri and Rice who take on less challenges but win a much higher percentage of those than him. Add to that Ugartes short passing stats which, playing for a team as dominating domestically as PSG, are on par with Palinha playing for midtable/bottom-half Fulham in EPL. You don't even have to compare him to the elite of Rice and Rodri there, even Andrich, who plays the bulldog for Germany and Leverkusen has much better short passing success rate than Ugarte in that role of a bulldog whilsts losing a fifth the amount of challenges per game compared to Ugarte.

What I'm getting at is, whilsts it is nice to have this sort of bulldog on the team, if said bulldog loses his challenges or mishits his short and simple passes, more often than not it can open wide gaps for the opposition and add more negatives to the team than positives. All that being said, he is still young, especially for a position where experience is very important in regards to his possible weaknesses (decision making) and others who have watched him play might put those numbers in perspective. Just wanted to add some data to the discussion.

I’d see him more as an option to Neves than a partner for Mainoo, although he probably could be in certain situations.

Neves like Ugarte performa high in volume defensively but the quality leaves more to be desired.

I’d still have Onana-Mainoo-Bruno over Ugarte-Mainoo-Bruno, but I would love to have him as an option in the squad if the money was right.

That way we can give Kobbie a rest when needed and we could also play the type of formation we had for the last games of the season using Ugarte-Onana and Mainoo as the midfield with Bruno pushing higher up.

What’s the sporting Lisbon fan poster called? Or someone who can tell me a bit more about his style of play. Strengths/weaknesses. Can’t say I’ve seen him play much but just seen a couple of clips on YouTube.

Has there been any rumoured fees regarding this?

A loan with option to buy like with Amrabat would have been sweet. :angel:

Dont think hes any faster than Mainoo. But he'll dive into a tackle from 8 yards away which will help catch players

Not getting excited until we hear from UK sources. This is just agent noise fornow.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. The issues of ball progression etc. are probably valid, but they’re not immediate concerns to me.

We spent so much of last season losing midfield duels or having teams of far lesser quality equal us in midfield areas. Part of that was tactical down to the chasm we have in there, but another part of that is the fact that we just massively lack some midfielders at the right age with the right sort of profiles.

Ugarte probably fixes a lot of that.
I don't think he's the DM we need. Weaker in the air, lacks positional discipline and not a great progressor of play. Sounds a bit like Fred

If AWB could play CM you wouldn’t get excited

but if the Uruguayan copy off him in midfield is linked to us you all shit your pants with excitement.

go figure

but if the Uruguayan copy off him in midfield is linked to us you all shit your pants with excitement.

go figure

I remember from back when he was at Sporting that aside from his defensive contributions he was supposed to be very press resistant?

I think he was even touted as a FDJ alternative in how he was able to beat the press although he’s obviously never had the passing/progressive stats that Frenkie would provide.

go figure
This is the most clueless take (so far) in this thread, fair play.

A loan with buy option would absolutely be the way to go here. We can't risk buying any player now for a biggish fee who turns out to not be good enough / unsuited to system / unable to cope with pressure of being a United player.
I don't agree we have to go as far as that - provided the new system feels like it's choosing better targets than we did previously, and for more system based reasons and not just reactionary ones that dont really suit us.

I agree we can't risk paying any 'big' fees like on Sancho, Maguire, Antony, Pogba, etc. But we can still go up to around the AWB type of money providing we're making good choices. Buying a good player for anything under £50m is still very good business for us given the issues with PL / United Tax. If we can learn to overcome those and start making the type of signings other clubs manage for much more reasonably fees then that's great. We don't have to limit ourselves to only those that a club (and the player) is willing to accept just a loan deal first.

Reminds me of Kante. I doubt he'd be as good but I'd take him. Right profile in a needed position at the right age. Doesn't have an injury history. All around seems like a good buy, if the price is right.

When you look at the balance of United's midfield currently it seems like he would offer something that is missing.

I could be wrong , but I think how he plays for current Uraguay is probably more relevant to us than how he played for PSG .

The style we will have is going to be more direct than the city's , psgs.

I don't think we are solely looking to up possession via knocking it around via some cigar smoking cool dude at 6 , I think we are looking to reduce opponents possession by winning more duels , front to back , which in turn should reduce the amount of shots faced and also make our transitions shorter and quicker ( less time for the opponent to react , as less distance to goal)

To me , he looks like a player who can help with that

The idea of him winning the balls for Mainoo and Bruno is intriguing. Of course I'd also prefer a Joao Neves, but we are not paying 100m on a midfielder. I would say it's hard to find a better DM on the market who is available and affordable than Ugarte. If we could somehow manage a loan with buy option for Ugarte that would be the cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.