Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else feel like we always stretch out the last transfer of the window to make the fans feel like we're involved in deadline day?
Maybe pre Ineos but this went this long because Qatar were salty about Ineos beating them to getting control of the club. Dealing with any other club and it would have been done weeks ago.

Maybe pre Ineos but this went this long because Qatar were salty about Ineos beating them to getting control of the club. Dealing with any other club and it would have been done weeks ago.
Really really think that was a load of shit to be fair.

At the end of the day INEOS and Qatar are businessmen and they will have just been spending the time haggling and thrashing out what they felt was the best deal for them.

At the end of the day INEOS and Qatar are businessmen and they will have just been spending the time haggling and thrashing out what they felt was the best deal for them.
As they should

Ugarte--Mainoo
-------Mount

Is very much a midfield you can see Klopp using, would be absolute monster in off the ball pressing and recovery. So it makes sense why ETH is going for something like that...but then again you have Bruno who is our captain and we just gave a new 300k contract, who isnt really great at pressing(goes rogue). Very weird.

Ugarte--Mainoo
-------Mount

Is very much a midfield you can see Klopp using, would be absolute monster in off the ball pressing and recovery. So it makes sense why ETH is going for something like that...but then again you have Bruno who is our captain and we just gave a new 300k contract, who isnt really great at pressing(goes rogue). Very weird.

Bruno’s twice the player of Mount, so not so weird.

It was a pile of doo-dah, yes indeed it was.

This is really going off topic. You’re arguing about hypotheticals. Bruno has missed the odd game and we looked terrible. We signed Mount and Ten Hag has shown no sign of taking Bruno out the team and in fact wanted him to sign a new contract. I’d suggest he knows more about who is good at football than you.
But he's also missed odd games where we have played well.

Ten Hag also wanted to keep Mctominay. Our recruiting has improved dramatically since he's had less influence on it.

Well done, you completely missed the point.

The point is daft, ETH clearly thinks Bruno has a massive part to play in his new look midfield which is hardly surprising considering how much better and much productive he is than Mount.
I’m not sure what is “very weird” about it.

Once this signature is completed, EtH now finally has several options of how to make up his midfield and attack, which is exactly what he, or Klopp for that matter, would desire/require.

Depending on if he can get his wingers firing, I think there’s gonna be plenty of occasions where he uses the midfield you mentioned, with Bruno as a false nine.

It’s all about building a quality squad that gives whoever manages us plenty of options/solutions.

Last edited:
The point is daft, ETH clearly thinks Bruno has a massive part to play in his new look midfield which is hardly surprising considering how much better and much productive he is than Mount.
I’m not sure what is “very weird” about it.
I'm all for options, nobody is against that. And although I think playing Bruno as a false 9 is a disaster most of the time, sure that will happen sometimes.

My point was we have all seen the huge drop off in our pressing the last couple of games when Mount went off, and I dont think that's an accident. Bruno is twice the player Mount is on the ball, but Mount is much better off it. Its a mismatch in profiles, that has a direct impact on our style of play.

Perhaps we intend to use Mount like SAF used Park in big games, but then I struggle to see what we would do with Bruno, because he's not being dropped either.

But he's also missed odd games where we have played well.

Ten Hag also wanted to keep Mctominay. Our recruiting has improved dramatically since he's had less influence on it.
Which games?

I’m sure Ten Hag would like to keep as many players as possible. The manager’s concern isn’t PSR.

I'm all for options, nobody is against that. And although I think playing Bruno as a false 9 is a disaster most of the time, sure that will happen sometimes.

My point was we have all seen the huge drop off in our pressing the last couple of games when Mount went off, and I dont think that's an accident. Bruno is twice the player Mount is on the ball, but Mount is much better off it. Its a mismatch in profiles, that has a direct impact on our style of play.

Perhaps we intend to use Mount like SAF used Park in big games, but then I struggle to see what we would do with Bruno, because he's not being dropped either.

You claim it very weird because you have tunnel vision on what you believe will be the best options a gengenpress.

But it’s not about a single 11, imagine if ETH went all in on your idea, got rid of Bruno, only to then watch Mount sit out 80% of the season again.
It’s not even slightly “weird” because it’s about building a quality squad that gives whoever manages us plenty of options/solutions for different scenarios. Whilst I don’t for example think a false nine is a smart solution when playing the likes of Brentford, I do think it’s a very smart option in some big games, like the FA cup final.

Maybe so, I also think SAF would pick Mount over Bruno purely as a system player.

Such a daft argument, “I think SAF” gets used so often. I personally think he’d absolutely adore Bruno.

None of us know.

For a start his squad would likely look nothing like the one we have built for 2024. In his final season he was still playing with an out and out forward in RVP and Rooney dropping into the hole, so if he was picking a guy for that Rooney role, he’d need to be much more productive than Mount.

Which games?

I’m sure Ten Hag would like to keep as many players as possible. The manager’s concern isn’t PSR.
We beat tottenham 3-2, burnley 3-1, brighton 3-0. We do not score 3 goals often. Look at the lineup vs Brighton, terrible.

You claim it very weird because you have tunnel vision on what you believe will be the best options a gengenpress.

But it’s not about a single 11, imagine if ETH went all in on your idea, got rid of Bruno, only to then watch Mount sit out 80% of the season again.
It’s not even slightly “weird” because it’s about building a quality squad that gives whoever manages us plenty of options/solutions for different scenarios. Whilst I don’t for example think a false nine is a smart solution when playing the likes of Brentford, I do think it’s a very smart option in some big games, like the FA cup final.
If Hojlund is fit, Bruno should almost never start as a false 9 ahead of him.

The bolded is something you have pulled out of your ass. I'm not even a fan of gegenpress, I prefer possesion approach similar to what Arteta/Pep do, but that's not what our manager is building our team towards.

What's weird is we are building our team around Bruno who plays in the same position where Mount plays(and Bruno starts 90% of our games), when Mount is tailor suited for our high press approach, and without whom our press looks comparatively disjointed. Its very plain to see, but you are hellbent on going on a tangent about how Bruno is the better player and how we need both for the whole season, when I've not denied either of those claims.

When Mount plays, we sacrifice creativity. When Bruno plays, we sacrifice our pressing. Its a dilemma Ten Hag will have to solve.

If Hojlund is fit, Bruno should almost never start as a false 9 ahead of him.

The bolded is something you have pulled out of your ass. I'm not even a fan of gegenpress, I prefer possesion approach similar to what Arteta/Pep do, but that's not what our manager is building our team towards.

What's weird is we are building our team around Bruno who plays in the same position where Mount plays(and Bruno starts 90% of our games), when Mount is tailor suited for our high press approach, and without whom our press looks comparatively disjointed. Its very plain to see, but you are hellbent on going on a tangent about how Bruno is the better player and how we need both for the whole season, when I've not denied either of those claims.

When Mount plays, we sacrifice creativity. When Bruno plays, we sacrifice our pressing. Its a dilemma Ten Hag will have to solve.

Eh?

I have to say, I’m most surprised that you believe we are building a team around Bruno. Doesn’t appear that way at all to me. It feels like we’re building a strong squad that will give whoever is managing us lots of options/solutions.

Maybe you can explain again what it is you think is so weird? Should we not have a strong squad with multiple players for multiple positions like every other top side? I guess I’ve missed something here.

We beat tottenham 3-2, burnley 3-1, brighton 3-0. We do not score 3 goals often. Look at the lineup vs Brighton, terrible.
You’re using a league cup game from 2020 in which both clubs rotated their teams to suggest that we play well without Bruno? A 3-1 win against Burnley is absolutely routine and the game against Spurs had a Ronaldo hat trick, including a header from a corner, a pen and a wonder volley if I remember. No indications there of us playing great football.

I can remember us losing 0-1 to Arsenal, 4-0 to Palace last season without him. Previous games he missed we drew with Young Boys, lost to Sevilla and Villa. 3 wins vs 4 losses and 2 draws.

We had 15 games last season where we scored 3 goals. I have no idea why you’re suggesting we don’t do that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.