Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you see him doing for us? How’d you see him fitting into midfield/who with?

Ideally you would find another CDM let’s say a Fabinho type profile and then play Mainoo and Ugarte in front of them.

Then your CF needs to be a false 9 to drop in and create the 10.

Ideally you would find another CDM let’s say a Fabinho type profile and then play Mainoo and Ugarte in front of them.

Then your CF needs to be a false 9 to drop in and create the 10.
Think that’s exactly what we’ll do. Casemiro, Ugarte and Mainoo with Bruno false 9

If everyone is fit and we can play a high line of Mazraoui, De Ligt, Martínez and Shaw, with Ugarte and Mainoo as double pivots, I’d like to see Mount left, Amad right, Bruno in the 10 and Zirkzee as the false 9. Pressing and high technical ability.

There will be mass rotation anyway with lots of games, but for me this gives us the best blend of players who can actually keep the ball, press intelligently, and link up together.

Rashford and Garnacho are still best off the bench with their pace, offering something different, or in a line up where we play on the counter. Hojlund provides a more orthodox option as a 9, Casemiro a rotation option in the pivot. Yoro, Dalot and Maguire have all the defensive positions covered etc.

If everyone is fit and we can play a high line of Mazraoui, De Ligt, Martínez and Shaw, with Ugarte and Mainoo as double pivots, I’d like to see Mount left, Amad right, Bruno in the 10 and Zirkzee as the false 9. Pressing and high technical ability.

There will be mass rotation anyway with lots of games, but for me this gives us the best blend of players who can actually keep the ball, press intelligently, and link up together.

Rashford and Garnacho are still best off the bench with their pace, offering something different, or in a line up where we play on the counter. Hojlund provides a more orthodox option as a 9, Casemiro a rotation option in the pivot. Yoro, Dalot and Maguire have all the defensive positions covered etc.
That line up is probably our best technically, but it lacks any threat in behind and wouldn't scare any defences for pace either. Compact teams would be able to push right on top of us. Which is just a bit of a dilemma with the squad overall still.

Hopefully it all starts to look a bit more cohesive after another couple of windows.

Think that’s exactly what we’ll do. Casemiro, Ugarte and Mainoo with Bruno false 9
That wont happen when Holjund comes back. He will start up front. Case will be bench and Ugarte starts in his spot. We have played this false 9 to begin the season and have barely scored 2 goals.

That line up is probably our best technically, but it lacks any threat in behind and wouldn't scare any defences for pace either. Compact teams would be able to push right on top of us. Which is just a bit of a dilemma with the squad overall still.

Hopefully it all starts to look a bit more cohesive after another couple of windows.
Different approaches for different games. Against low block teams, this unit would keep the ball better, have better off the ball movement, and more creativity. Pace doesn’t help much when there’s no space behind, which is 70% of our games. You also of course have the option of Rashford and Garnacho against tired legs. Plus, Amad is pretty rapid and has the ability to beat a man with relative ease, which disrupts shape. Against compact teams playing a low or mid block, it’s more about acceleration over the first few yards, than outright pace. Just creating enough space to create an opening, Amad and Mount can both do this, as can Bruno with clever body movement.

Against other high pressing teams, like City or Spurs, I’d play Garnacho and/or Rashford (not both) for those runs in behind. You’ve also got Hojlund for those runs into the channels and in behind. Different horses for different courses.

As a rule of thumb, I’d always go for my most technical players with the best work rate. All three of Mount, Bruno and Amad work very hard off the ball. Given current form, I think Mount offers much more than Rashford does, who needs a spell fighting for his place in the team to get the best out of him. Right now he’s a guaranteed pick and that just isn’t good for his mentality.

Mount has been used as an 8 here, then as a rotating false 9. He’s far too good of a player to continue to be misused. On the left he will provide us with quality deliveries into the box, superb work rate, intelligent pressing, the ability to tuck into midfield and help out, and he has very good off the ball movement. He’s very quick over the first five yards too. He’s so much better than he’s been able to show for us so far, and I’d love to see him given a run at LW and hopefully become part of a much more cohesive unit. Ball retention is a very important part of controlling games and defending, and he gives us 100% more in that regard than Rashford does. Rashford is at his best when he’s playing on the shoulder of the last man and making runs for a ball over the top. At that he is world class, but it requires space behind for it to work. At nearly everything else, he is pretty average.

Why has this been so silent since the announcement? We barely had a picture of him at Carrington last night. We had more noise when we signed Yoro.

That wont happen when Holjund comes back. He will start up front. Case will be bench and Ugarte starts in his spot. We have played this false 9 to begin the season and have barely scored 2 goals.
I just don’t think we can play Ugarte and Mainoo. That’s worse than Casemiro and Mainoo. Ugarte isn’t a 6, he’s a ball winner high up the field. He charges about the place and breaks up play. We also have zero aerial prowess in midfield without Casemiro and that’s very important because there are a lot of balls to be won from midfield aerial duals

How would a 442 diamond work

.........Ugarte
Caemiro...mainoo
........... Bruno.........

With 2 of hojlund rashford garnacho zirkzee as split forwards and Bruno becoming a false 9 in attack. Looks a solid midfield

Different approaches for different games. Against low block teams, this unit would keep the ball better, have better off the ball movement, and more creativity. Pace doesn’t help much when there’s no space behind, which is 70% of our games. You also of course have the option of Rashford and Garnacho against tired legs. Plus, Amad is pretty rapid and has the ability to beat a man with relative ease, which disrupts shape.

Against other high pressing teams, like City or Spurs, I’d play Garnacho and/or Rashford (not both) for those runs in behind. You’ve also got Hojlund for those runs into the channels and in behind. Different horses for different courses.

As a rule of thumb, I’d always go for my most technical players with the best work rate. All three of Mount, Bruno and Amad work very hard off the ball. Given current form, I think Mount offers much more than Rashford does, who needs a spell fighting for his place in the team to get the best out of him. Right now he’s a guaranteed pick and that just isn’t good for his mentality.

Mount has been used as an 8 here, then as a rotating false 9. He’s far too good of a player to continue to be misused. On the left he will provide us with quality deliveries into the box, superb work rate, intelligent pressing, the ability to tuck into midfield and help out, and he has very good off the ball movement. He’s very quick over the first five yards too. He’s so much better than he’s been able to show for us so far, and I’d love to see him given a run at LW and hopefully become part of a much more cohesive unit. Ball retention is a very important part of controlling games and defending, and he gives us 100% more in that regard than Rashford does. Rashford is at his best when he’s playing on the shoulder of the last man and making runs for a ball over the top. At that he is world class, but it requires space behind for it to work. At nearly everything else, he is pretty average.
With you on different plans and line-ups for different games. My point was more that with the players we have at the moment we are more suited to that than we are having a stable and functioning team week in and week out. Likely why we will do better in the cups again and struggle for form and consistency in the league.

The way we have started the season we are trying to create that space in behind by inviting the press on to almost our 18 yard box. Our attackers have yet to be able to make the most of that space when they have been afforded it though. So far to me, Amad seems more the sort that you want on the ball as opposed to attacking the space in behind - it is a part of his game he could improve though as he does seem to have decent pace.

Yea, I would be for getting Mount into the team for his work off the ball but the problem is that it leads to sacrifices - be that the creativity of Bruno, the pace in behind of Garnacho/Rashford or the physicality/goal threat of Hojlund/Zirkzee. He definitely makes us more difficult to play against in one way, but easier to defend against in another way. With proper squad building this could all be worked through, but it will be a process until we have a proper team that is delivering consistently I think.

.........Ugarte
Caemiro...mainoo

With 2 of hojlund rashford garnacho zirkzee as split forwards and Bruno becoming a false 9 in attack. Looks a solid midfield

Absolutely, looks solid.

I just don’t think we can play Ugarte and Mainoo. That’s worse than Casemiro and Mainoo. Ugarte isn’t a 6, he’s a ball winner high up the field. He charges about the place and breaks up play. We also have zero aerial prowess in midfield without Casemiro and that’s very important because there are a lot of balls to be won from midfield aerial duals
He doesn’t necessarily have the win the ball the field. His best talents are breaking up and interceptions when we don’t have the ball. That doesn’t mean he needs to win the ball in their 3rd. I still think he will replace Case when he starts. But will he start next to Case as well? Absolutely. That’s what rotation is for, especially when we have a lead - Mainoo will be taken off and replaced by one of them who doesn’t start.

.........Ugarte
Caemiro...mainoo

Casemiro and Mainoo are already gassed after 60 minutes most games. Putting them in the wide positions in a diamond would likely kill them inside half an hour.

Casemiro and Mainoo are already gassed after 60 minutes most games. Putting them in the wide positions in a diamond would likely kill them inside half an hour.
Hopefully less gassed if they've got Ugarte in there to pick up some of the running.

Absolutely, looks solid.

In many ways its kind of what we're doing well at the moment shape wise. But with 2 forwards we might carry a goal threat. Certainly an option for certain games i don't think we should have too rigid a line up, but that trio could be very good behind Bruno

.........Ugarte
Caemiro...mainoo

Except we are not going to become a possession based team overnight. ETH relies on counters and stretching play on the wings.

He doesn’t necessarily have the win the ball the field. His best talents are breaking up and interceptions when we don’t have the ball. That doesn’t mean he needs to win the ball in their 3rd. I still think he will replace Case when he starts. But will he start next to Case as well? Absolutely. That’s what rotation is for, especially when we have a lead - Mainoo will be taken off and replaced by one of them who doesn’t start.
It’ll be nice for us to give Mainoo a break. Exceptional talent but right now he’s a bit of a jack of all trades master of none. He’s not as tactically aware as Case (obviously) and he’s actually not as good at passing either. Casemiro is underrated when it comes to that plus he’s more of a goal threat on corners. Most won’t agree with me but Casemiro - Ugarte is our strongest midfield two

Except we are not going to become a possession based team overnight. ETH relies on counters and stretching play on the wings.
But that lineup doesn’t mean ‘possession’. It’s a similar system to the one Madrid have been using, and they are not a team I would describe as ‘possession’. It’s also the same formation that WE have been using of late.

Hopefully less gassed if they've got Ugarte in there to pick up some of the running.
Yea, you would probably want Ugarte in one of the wide positions for his engine and put Casemiro at the base. Still don't think it would work though with what we have.

Do we not technically need to wait until the McTominay transfer is confirmed? Would we not be fecked PSR wise if we confirmed Ugarte and then the Napoli deal collapsed?

Let Mount and Bruno rotate between LW/AW
ETH does not appear inclined to rotate Bruno, and I can understand why. Bruno is our only playmaker. Our wide players look for the shot first far too often and make poor choices that lead to counters we're not equipped to deal with well, although that may change with Ugarte. Mount is not a creator and although Mainoo could become a creator we haven't seen it from him yet. Mount out wide yes, Bruno out wide no.

I think that's exactly what happens, Mount replaces Rashford and then everyone is pressing, admittedly Rashford's looked better at it so far this season but I can't see it lasting

Exactly. Rashford can be useful as a sub for us when opponents start chasing the equalizer and open space for Rashford to attack. But apart from that Rashford is not a particularly effective attacker any longer. A shame he never showed any inclination to learn how to head the ball. With his height and strength he could have become a force on crosses.

But that lineup doesn’t mean ‘possession’. It’s a similar system to the one Madrid have been using, and they are not a team I would describe as ‘possession’. It’s also the same formation that WE have been using of late.
It’s not the same formation we are using right now.

Bruno
Rashford - Mount - Amad
Mainoo - Casemeiro

That’s not the same formation as you’ve listed.

Do we not technically need to wait until the McTominay transfer is confirmed? Would we not be fecked PSR wise if we confirmed Ugarte and then the Napoli deal collapsed?
If we do that then he won’t be available for the Pool game. Not the end of the world if this happens but I’m sure ETH would want him to be involved in some capacity.

That formation can still work in a counter attacking style though, can't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.