Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delighted with this. For fun I started a thread on the transfer window back in early July. I think 4/5 signings went through, including this guy. Hopefully he puts more backbone in our midfield. Glad to see most fans being patient around results etc. Obviously the patient will require some rehab after this first phase of open heart surgery. Good luck to him. Welcome to the theatre of dreams and the land of bad name puns in songs, Ugarte!!

Bunch of weirdos in this thread.

We’ve been crying out for a ball winning midfielder for ages that will allow our more creative midfielders to push forward in confidence without leaving our defence exposed. Even if he supposedly does have passing limitations; which some of you who have barely seen him play are sudden experts on (based on YouTube videos and absolute dickheads on Twitter who are fecking clueless about real football).

And before you start defending yourselves with stupid stats that you’ve ripped off from some website, just don’t. feck off with that garbage. I don’t need arbitrary non-contextual stats thrown my way to promote your narratives and agendas. I have eyes and actually watch the game. I’ll reserve my judgment until after watching him play a full game, not some watered down biased YouTube compilation from some 14 year old “content creator”.
I sort of agree with what you've said but because you've said it the way you've said it all I have to say is; oh shut the feck up will ya.

Same. I think of him as part of that Milan team with Pirlo, Seedorf & Kaka which outclassed one of Fergie's best teams in the CL

How was that same person running around against Dundee at one point
Plenty of quality players played for the Old Firm sides at one stage or another. The likes of Gascoigne, B. Laudrup, Van Bronckhorst, Arteta, Larsson, Di Canio, Van Dijk, etc. (And Dundee themselves had Claudio Caniggia at one point!)

The biggest difference with Gattuso is that the others were recognised as top quality all the time, whereas when Dick Advocaat arrived at Rangers he didn't rate Gattuso and even played him at right back before selling him to a smaller Italian side. Huge error in judgement.

His success ultimately depends on the system.In a normal system with positionally disciplined midfielders who play close to each other, he can be more than excellent. But in this our suicide kamikaze system, I have no clue how he will turn out.

Bunch of weirdos in this thread.

We’ve been crying out for a ball winning midfielder for ages that will allow our more creative midfielders to push forward in confidence without leaving our defence exposed. Even if he supposedly does have passing limitations; which some of you who have barely seen him play are sudden experts on (based on YouTube videos and absolute dickheads on Twitter who are fecking clueless about real football).

And before you start defending yourselves with stupid stats that you’ve ripped off from some website, just don’t. feck off with that garbage. I don’t need arbitrary non-contextual stats thrown my way to promote your narratives and agendas. I have eyes and actually watch the game. I’ll reserve my judgment until after watching him play a full game, not some watered down biased YouTube compilation from some 14 year old “content creator”.

Aye. But he can't do a double-pirouette after he wins the ball back. So put that in your pipe and blow it.

At the time we bought Schneiderlin, there was almost unanimous excitement though. People thought our midfield with him and Schweinsteiger was gonna be absolutely amazing. He had great stats in Southampton, that's a signing that probably would have worked out under a different manager.
Schneiderlin flopped under both Van Gaal and Mourinho.

When did he last play then? Could really do with him playing vs Liverpool

Same. I think of him as part of that Milan team with Pirlo, Seedorf & Kaka which outclassed one of Fergie's best teams in the CL

How was that same person running around against Dundee at one point
There are always these weird spells. I remember materazzi having a short failed spell at Everton or something like that before becoming a monster for inter and Italy

But he bought De Ligt who is good in the air, Mazraoui who is actually also good in the air and Zirkzee who is bloody massive.
De Ligt is for sure strong in the air and if he starts he will be similar to Maguire in that sense. The other two have average stats on aerials. This is a potential starting xi with last season stats.

Aerials won per 90% and % won per aerial challenge.

Aerials won%
Dalot0.955
Yoro1.562
Martinez0.644
Shaw1.257
Ugarte0.733
Mainoo0.942
Bruno0.644
Garnacho0.222
Rashford0.638
Hojlund127

That sums up to 8.2 won aerials per game for the team in total. That would make us worse statistically than any other PL team last season. If we played de Ligt instead we would be a little bit better but still one of the absolute worst in the league . Statistically and hypothetically, but still there is a risk.

Maguire won 3.8/90, Casemiro 1.9, and McT 1.8.

The new guys
Mazraoui 1.4
Zirkzee 0.9
De Ligt 2.7

I think we already are.:rolleyes::) Zero threat in corner kicks since Fellaini left. And it wasn't a strenght even that time. No idea how we can be this weak in the air.
I think we might be and that’s why we are such an impact when Maguire plays.

De Ligt is for sure strong in the air and if he starts he will be similar to Maguire in that sense. The other two have average stats on aerials. This is a potential starting xi with last season stats.

Aerials won per 90% and % won per aerial challenge.

Aerials won%
Dalot0.955
Yoro1.562
Martinez0.644
Shaw1.257
Ugarte0.733
Mainoo0.942
Bruno0.644
Garnacho0.222
Rashford0.638
Hojlund127

That sums up to 8.2 won aerials per game for the team in total. That would make us worse statistically than any other PL team last season. If we played de Ligt instead we would be a little bit better but still one of the absolute worst in the league . Statistically and hypothetically, but still there is a risk.

Maguire won 3.8/90, Casemiro 1.9, and McT 1.8.

The new guys
Mazraoui 1.4
Zirkzee 0.9
De Ligt 2.7

I think we might be and that’s why we are such an impact when Maguire plays.
I have posted about this before also, and advocated for A.Onana for this exact reason. Hopefully with better organisation and setpiece coaching we can mitigate this, but it seems like a potential disaster.

Our composition capable of winning the LDC and the PL in 2 years:
Onana
Dalot - Ugarte - Lisandro - Amass
Wharton - Mainoo
Amad - Bruno - Kvara
Hojlund

Coach: McKenna

(I am giving you at the same time our two recruits for next summer).

This is funny.

When did he last play then? Could really do with him playing vs Liverpool

14/07 vs Canada at the Copa America.

I don't think he took part of PSGs friendlies, or opening fixtures.

At the time we bought Schneiderlin, there was almost unanimous excitement though. People thought our midfield with him and Schweinsteiger was gonna be absolutely amazing. He had great stats in Southampton, that's a signing that probably would have worked out under a different manager.
Ah the Schmidfield. Good times.

In reference to a few posters saying ETH didn't want Ugarte, what Muppetiers actually said was that it was all financial, with ETH proposing keeping Scott and resigning Amrabat, instead of Ugarte. Which makes sense. Scott came up some big goals last season. ETH didn't want to lose him.

And for what it's worth, it's unfortunate Muppetiers has a bad rep. He talks a lot of sense and definitely has an insight into the behind the scenes running of the club which I find really interesting.

I sort of agree with what you've said but because you've said it the way you've said it all I have to say is; oh shut the feck up will ya.
I care very little for hurting the feelings of these armchair experts. I won’t dilute my language for fear of making new-age twitter fans upset.

There are always these weird spells. I remember materazzi having a short failed spell at Everton or something like that before becoming a monster for inter and Italy

Even when Serie A was at its best, there were quite a number of players that failed, or were not quite as good in other leagues, like Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo, Samuel, Cannavaro etc.

Do we get deal agreed today by the club? Surely as he needs to be registered by tomorrow to feature in the squad, right?

Wonder if he did part of the medical last night? What other reason would take him to Carrington immediately after landing?
It's known from previous transfers that there is sleeping accommodationbat Carrington for new signings, they can sleep there the first day(s).

Also good for cutting costs!

Once again and as explained several time in this thread, I’m talking about what I saw after seeing playing live quite a few times in Paris.
The player you described to me is Valverde from Madrid who has exceptional technical ability to play everywhere in midfield.
I just don’t see it with Ugarte, I see a good ball winner but a bit limited for everything else.
I hope to be wrong though
Valverde is clearly the superior and more complete player, that's no diss on Manuel. On the contrary, for the NT lately Ugarte has been our best player on the pitch a few times despite us having Valverde.

Can he grow into that? No, not into the same player, but when they say "new Kanté" I do see him being capable of fulfilling that.

As I said, I hardly watch PSG and it seems I got his best game and then others he didn't play in (all Dortmund). I did however notice the change in his NT performances with him being far less exhuberant. He is a bit more in his shell. I think that's scars from misfitting for Enrique and all his pushing for United and only United is wanting a setting which cries out for him to go back to his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.