Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to differentiate how players are used and instructed and what they can do. E.g. people keep bollocking his progressive passes, which are indeed very few, but accurate when attempted.

His professional debut aged 15 was as an inside forward so clearly can't be useless on the ball. Not in the "destroyer=can't pass or create" dichotomy that lives rent-free in our fans' minds.

It was only a couple of years later the Uruguay U20 coach (the one winning the last U20 WC, a former midfielder) suggested his engine and tenacity would make him stand out more as CM/DM. If you look at him play for Sporting, he looks very well suited for a box-to-box role.

If you look at him for the NT, he is used more as that #6 build-up outlet with Valverde being b2b. The fluency and effectiveness of his execution varies when his triangulation counterparts get shifted around. Bielsa being a bit mad + injuries + reds got all his go-to lanes/triangles wiped out during Copa, and it showed. Much of that is NTs not getting as much time to iron that out under various setups.

I wouldn't be surprised if what happened at PSG went along those lines too. I don't follow them, but it stands to reason that Luis Enrique first got an XI to play to their strengths and then started tinkering with the midfield. From what I hear it was a matter of few bad games and out of his plans altogether.

The scars from that would explain how much more conservative and safe I found him to be at the Copa, even more so once Araújo got injured and his outlet through attacking fullbacks got compromised by Nández' red and Bielsa doing some random shit constantly tinkering with Viña and Olivera.

All in all, as we know, he is not a single pivot that will dictate the game. He absolutely can contribute to the build up and the more settled our backline and midfield get the better he will be at it. ETH will take his time and that may not be a bad thing really.

I bet all that pushing was him champing at the bit seeing all that space and players just walking through our midfield he could hound around. At least that part he knows he can have a lot of fun from Day 1. But yeah, the sync will take time.
Once again and as explained several time in this thread, I’m talking about what I saw after seeing playing live quite a few times in Paris.
The player you described to me is Valverde from Madrid who has exceptional technical ability to play everywhere in midfield.
I just don’t see it with Ugarte, I see a good ball winner but a bit limited for everything else.
I hope to be wrong though

I'm fairly positive about this signing, while not having seen much of him to be honest. If he's a high intensity player who focusses on winning back the ball and putting Mainoo and Bruno in a better light i'm all for it. People seem to forget what shade of Casemiro we thought we were getting? We thought he'd just be that defensive rock who kept it simple. Nowadays he's anything but that.

I'm fairly positive about this signing, while not having seen much of him to be honest. If he's a high intensity player who focusses on winning back the ball and putting Mainoo and Bruno in a better light i'm all for it. People seem to forget what shade of Casemiro we thought we were getting? We thought he'd just be that defensive rock who kept it simple. Nowadays he's anything but that.
You might be the most honest person in the thread.

i think he is an important signing. But ultimately, our biggest issue from last season has been our inability to score goals. Its not for the lack of chance creation. We still arent addressing that. A Toney would help.
I agree, that is a big problem, but I think he'll at least let us keep the ball higher up the pitch and that might help us in chance creation. I actually think we are missing searing pace without Hojlund, Rashford and Garnacho are quick but doesn't feel like they really have that elite speed.

I remember Schneiderlin had amazing defensive stats(tackles+interceptions) when he joined. I hope its not a similar case, but shouldnt be because he mainly failed because he didnt fit LVG's style of play.

Then again there are reports ETH didnt want Ugarte...which is shocking because he fits the high pressing style ETH wants, and he definitely doesnt fit a possession style of play.

I remember Schneiderlin had amazing defensive stats(tackles+interceptions) when he joined. I hope its not a similar case, but shouldnt be because he mainly failed because he didnt fit LVG's style of play.

Then again there are reports ETH didnt want Ugarte...which is shocking because he fits the high pressing style ETH wants, and he definitely doesnt fit a possession style of play.
Could you share them please? I haven’t seen them

The fact we have bought a midfielder in addition to Kobbie who reportedly doesn't give the ball away cheaply and is more mobile than any other options we have will be massive for this team. I think contrary to the general thinking, a ball winner and a safe recycler of the ball will see us gain more control of matches and help us pin opponents back better.

At least this fella has played at the top level for big teams across different leagues. Seems a bit of a meanie meanie thing to compare him to Schneiderlin. Who genuinely I forget even existed until he's randomly brought up every so often.

Not reports, a tweet from BS merchants on X, called Muppetriers or something like that.

Could you share them please? I haven’t seen them
From what I gather it's basically gossip, like Muppetiers.
If so, I feel sorry for people who believe it.

Seems like a lot of people here have been watching PSG and Sporting matches in the last two seasons. Unpaid scouts as far as the eye can see.
when you’re as good at watching football as me, you will always spend time watching registrars plying their trades in the top 5 leagues. that will mean watching the likes of psg and sporting. not for their flair players, nor to see any goals, but to study how they transition. what block mode they are set in. quantifying the number of pivots they are using. what triggers their press. you know, normal football things.

I am a bit worried that our team gets worse in the air for every signing ETH makes. We have sold McT, will bench Maguire and Case, and if we start with Yoro and Martinez, we might become PL’s weakest team in the air.
Maybe already discussed here, but how is Ugarte in the air?

I am a bit worried that our team gets worse in the air for every signing ETH makes. We have sold McT, will bench Maguire and Case, and if we start with Yoro and Martinez, we might become PL’s weakest team in the air.

As long as we approve on the deck.

But he bought De Ligt who is good in the air, Mazraoui who is actually also good in the air and Zirkzee who is bloody massive.

I think we already are.:rolleyes::) Zero threat in corner kicks since Fellaini left. And it wasn't a strenght even that time. No idea how we can be this weak in the air.

Jesus, he hasn’t even signed and you’re already thinking of moving him on.
You could dissect this from my posts, if you suffer from limited reading comprehension.
Again I ask do you not know how contracts work? In a hypothetical scenario he could sign for £50k a week but when we will sell him in 2 years if the signing club is only willing to pay £20k for him and we want to get rid of him then we have to do a payoff. Payoffs dont happen only in the case of inflated wages.
There's a big difference between your 50k a week example, and an overinflated 250k a week, do you not understand how numbers work?

I'll repeat again, I'm intrested to find out his wages, to see if lessons have been learnt.
I'm hopeful they have been.

Your patronising about contracts completely miss the mark, of what was a simple point.

I'm not overly optimistic about this signing. I hope he is a big asset for us but from the little ive seen I am not hugely impressed.

At least this fella has played at the top level for big teams across different leagues. Seems a bit of a meanie meanie thing to compare him to Schneiderlin. Who genuinely I forget even existed until he's randomly brought up every so often.
At the time we bought Schneiderlin, there was almost unanimous excitement though. People thought our midfield with him and Schweinsteiger was gonna be absolutely amazing. He had great stats in Southampton, that's a signing that probably would have worked out under a different manager.

when you’re as good at watching football as me, you will always spend time watching registrars plying their trades in the top 5 leagues. that will mean watching the likes of psg and sporting. not for their flair players, nor to see any goals, but to study how they transition. what block mode they are set in. quantifying the number of pivots they are using. what triggers their press. you know, normal football things.
For me, it’s more about the authenticity of the fan experience. Who threw a plastic pint glass of piss at who. Which club’s fan punched which horse. The nuts and bolts of the game.

How can I be like you?

For me, it’s more about the authenticity of the fan experience. Who threw a plastic pint glass of piss at who. Which club’s fan punched which horse. The nuts and bolts of the game.
i still find time for that sort of thing. like at half time, i’ll make sure i piss all over the floor in the toilet, and leave my empty pint glass on the cistern. i’ll go for a cheeky fag on the stairs, before microwaving a pie for 8 minutes and burning my mouth.
How can I be like you?
it’s easy. just pretend you know more about football than anyone else. the less you’ve played the game at any decent level, the better. or just forget everything from the times you did play.

Absolutely spot on.

I get sick to death of reading nonsense like 'double pivots...false number 9s...false number 6....High press....inverted this and that'...we've literally been crying out for ten years that we need a midfielder with bite, to plug the holes and win the ball back. We've now got one and all people can do is start with the stats like armchair Fergies, to try and find a weakness.

I honestly think some people in their heads want every player we buy to secretly be a 'Messi' deep down.

This guy has been brought in for one reason and one reason only, to be a royal pain in the arse to opposition attacks. That's it.
He's there to disrupt...he's not there to find a Beckham-like, cross-field, 60yrd pass.
He's there to break up play...he's not there to dribble around 8 players like Pele.
He's there to stop an attack forming from the edge of their penalty box from our corners....hes not there to score a worldie 30yrd header like Ibrahimovic.
He's there to physically put off the oppositions creative playmaker in front of our defenders...he's not there to donut as many players as he can and lob the keeper from the halfway line.

He's there to run, disrupt, push, bundle, tackle, slide in, win the ball, quickly pass it off. I'll say it again, run, disrupt, push, bundle, tackle, slide in, win the ball, quickly pass it off...get it?

He's a pitbull, he's Declan Rice on crack.
The other stuff is all these inane Americanisms and terms out of football manager and video games. Experts in management and tactics, strategy and systems of play, while their pressie boxes are still lying all around the floor. I prefer the muppets

Very differently:

- Ugarte can never play for the Italian national team while Gattuso has never played for Uruguay
- Ugarte has never played in Scotland or Switzerland and Gattuso has never played in France
- Ugarte is almost exactly half of Gattuso's age
- Ugarte is taller than Gattuso by a couple of inches
- Ugarte has never played alongside Pirlo
- Ugarte has never managed a professional football team
- Ugarte is clean shaven unlike Gattuso who usually displays facial hair growth

The fact that Gattuso played in Scotland always boggles my brain for some reason.

The fact that Gattuso played in Scotland always boggles my brain for some reason.
Same. I think of him as part of that Milan team with Pirlo, Seedorf & Kaka which outclassed one of Fergie's best teams in the CL

How was that same person running around against Dundee at one point

Status
Not open for further replies.