Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
€25m is too low but they signed him for €50m last year and they want rid. Should be at least €10m discount if we are smart.
They signed him for 60m EUR

Evidently. Check his CL minutes, especially in the KO rounds
Yeah I can see he didn't really play at all vs Dortmund for example.

Im wondering if it's more of an Enrique preference on style than him not being a top player. It's not like PSG covered themselves in glory by choosing not to play him in the CL games.

Im wondering if it's more of an Enrique preference on style than him not being a top player. It's not like PSG covered themselves in glory by choosing not to play him in the CL games.

Tried playing without a DM, same as Portugal are both with Vitinha in there. Might have worked in the French league. Doesnt look like it does in europe and internationally

Edit - Just against Czech, they played Palhinha in the next 2 matches

He's a backup at PSG. I don't get why you think United should pay a starter fee for him. There's other options out there
Which is exactly why we haven’t offered a starter fee?

He's a backup at PSG. I don't get why you think United should pay a starter fee for him. There's other options out there

He has played around the same amount of minutes in the league as Tchouameni, and I'd happily pay €50m for him! ;)

We really just need a tenacious midfielder who is excellent at winning the ball back, and I don't think there are many that are a better fit for what we need. Hopefully we can close the deal for lower than €50m, though.

A loan with buy option would absolutely be the way to go here. We can't risk buying any player now for a biggish fee who turns out to not be good enough / unsuited to system / unable to cope with pressure of being a United player.

The likes of Enrique and Pep are obsessed with having a squad of players who are superb passers of the ball. Its the center piece of their game and why they tend to struggle at clubs such as Roma that cannot bankroll them. For the rest the only way to achieve success is to build the right balance in the team. SAF won his like EPL title with Cleverley as first teamer. Cleverley was Championship/low tier EPL table player, however he provided leg work for the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Carrick to shine

From the looks of it, Ugarte is the traditional no 6. He'll work, tackle and win the ball all day. He also has that Gattuso like humility. He knows his limitations thus he'll play safe in passing. That's a good thing as the last thing a manager would want is for the team to lose ball possession simply because a Nicky Butt type of player think he's a Zinedine Zidane. In my opinion that's the type of DM we need alongside the likes of Bruno, Mainoo/Eriksen and Martinez.

Price is key though as we can't do another Casemiro type of deal were we basically bankrolled Real in buying a superior player. I believe that a 35-40m euro deal is a fair deal for a player they want to get rid off.

I would like this a lot, type of player we absolutely need right now.

I have not see him play but he gets a good rating on Whoscored.
For those that have seen a lot of him, what is a weakness of his?

I like that he’s young. That’s what we need. A young DM. If he is of course a DM. He’s South American which I also like as they show a lot of fight and determination. We need that aggressiveness. Him and Martinez would be great. What’s his injury record like? That’s one of the main things I like to know since we have an habit of signing injury prone players.
He sounds ideal for our midfield. We need some bite, aggression and steel in there alongside mainoo and Fernandes.

Really hope this happens.

I have not see him play but he gets a good rating on Whoscored.
For those that have seen a lot of him, what is a weakness of his?
Plays simple passes, not penetrative passes. If played as a single pivot he can be pulled out of position chasing down a ball like Kante. That's why he's better in a double pivot for us with mainoo i.e. someone who is a penetrative passer who can carry the ball and offer protection for any gaps when ugarte is chasing down the ball/man.

A poster who watched him in South American football said when he was young he was more of a deep lying playmaker but since he came to Europe he's become a CDM.

They signed him for 60m EUR
Ahh fair enough.

45/50m then maybe.

Or a loan with buy option if we want to allocate money elsewhere for the summer.

Not convinced he's what we'd need from the albeit little I've read and seen about him.

Plays simple passes, not penetrative passes. If played as a single pivot he can be pulled out of position chasing down a ball like Kante. That's why he's better in a double pivot for us with mainoo i.e. someone who is a penetrative passer who can carry the ball and offer protection for any gaps when ugarte is chasing down the ball/man.

A poster who watched him in South American football said when he was young he was more of a deep lying playmaker but since he came to Europe he's become a CDM.
Apart from age is he a big upgrade on Amrabat?

Yes he is. Amrabat has been misused by Utd. Amrabat is best sitting infront of the CBs, shielding and ball recycling. Ugarte is more of a Kante, he will go searching for the ball, block passing lanes for transitions and go seeking to turn the ball over.

Depends on price point as we don't own Amrabat anyway, but Ugarte has an engine on him and is at least a couple of yards faster than Amrabat, whose pace is somewhat lacking for the Prem, if it is a straight choice would be Ugarte, but like I say depends on price point and how much we have to spend in total

The likes of Enrique and Pep are obsessed with having a squad of players who are superb passers of the ball. Its the center piece of their game and why they tend to struggle at clubs such as Roma that cannot bankroll them. For the rest the only way to achieve success is to build the right balance in the team. SAF won his like EPL title with Cleverley as first teamer. Cleverley was Championship/low tier EPL table player, however he provided leg work for the likes of Scholes, Giggs and Carrick to shine

From the looks of it, Ugarte is the traditional no 6. He'll work, tackle and win the ball all day. He also has that Gattuso like humility. He knows his limitations thus he'll play safe in passing. That's a good thing as the last thing a manager would want is for the team to lose ball possession simply because a Nicky Butt type of player think he's a Zinedine Zidane. In my opinion that's the type of DM we need alongside the likes of Bruno, Mainoo/Eriksen and Martinez.

Price is key though as we can't do another Casemiro type of deal were we basically bankrolled Real in buying a superior player. I believe that a 35-40m euro deal is a fair deal for a player they want to get rid off.
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. The issues of ball progression etc. are probably valid, but they’re not immediate concerns to me.

We spent so much of last season losing midfield duels or having teams of far lesser quality equal us in midfield areas. Part of that was tactical down to the chasm we have in there, but another part of that is the fact that we just massively lack some midfielders at the right age with the right sort of profiles.

Ugarte probably fixes a lot of that.

I'm convinced this was one of the subjects Mendes and United discussed during that meeting. This is a goer.

I'm convinced this was one of the subjects Mendes and United discussed during that meeting. This is a goer.
I think that’s probably true yeah. Ugarte to us and Neves to PSG is what will probably happen I think.

I watched around 35 minutes of the Uruguay game last night, and on that alone, I'm convinced he is the man for us

I felt the same after watching Amrabat in the EC final last year, but we can forget about that for now.

Bottom line is, the more South Americans the better

I watched around 35 minutes of the Uruguay game last night, and on that alone, I'm convinced he is the man for us

I felt the same after watching Amrabat in the EC final last year, but we can forget about that for now.

Bottom line is, the more South Americans the better
We need to get rid of two of them

We need to get rid of two of them

That's a good point. Argentina and Uruguay should be targeted only.

On a separate note, Pellestri also looked great last night and I would love to see Bielsa manage united, I'm convinced he could win us the title.

Which is exactly why we haven’t offered a starter fee?
Yeah, my point was offering context to the posters calling 25/30M offer insulting

Luis Enrique is a terrorist. Great coach, but a terrorist nonetheless. Wouldn't read too much into it
He has played around the same amount of minutes in the league as Tchouameni, and I'd happily pay €50m for him! ;)
were it up to me I'd snap your arm for that. If he doesn't kick on this season, so will Flo next year

What have you read that puts you off?

Dives in a lot, too eager, similar to Casemiro in that way. Can get bypassed easily by runners. Very safe passer. Overly aggresive.

Dives in a lot, too eager, similar to Casemiro in that way. Can get bypassed easily by runners. Very safe passer. Overly aggresive.
I'm not sure I agree with the overly aggressive bit or the bypassed easily bit. I think his aggressiveness is high but not too high, and he's quite nimble on the turn for a DM.

He's safe on the ball, sure.

I'm not sure I agree with the overly aggressive bit or the bypassed easily bit. I think his aggressiveness is high but not too high, and he's quite nimble on the turn for a DM.

He's safe on the ball, sure.

Fair enough! Like I say I've only read about him and seen clips. I don't know enough about him to form a proper concrete opinion so mainly going on what others have said.

Fair enough! Like I say I've only read about him and seen clips. I don't know enough about him to form a proper concrete opinion so mainly going on what others have said.
Me too. We're both drawing incomplete evaluations :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.